*Official* Marantz 2016 NR-1607, SR-5011/6011/7011 owner's thread - Page 147 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7309Likes

post #4381 of 5018 Old 06-17-2018, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by vn800art View Post
Hey! You cannot simply say: I have done it!
It should be really appreciated, remarkable and woud gain a neverlasting reward from our part if You would post some more about the process (dare to ask, some photos of the process?).

Thanks and CONGRATULATIONS!
Alessandro
Taking the cover off is the easy part. Once removed you are basically presented with a 3D jigsaw puzzle of conjoined circuit boards. Each row of inputs on the rear of the unit is a separate horizontal PCB. I had to remove 3 of these before being able to access the speaker binding posts. Each of these boards is also snapped into vertical riser PCB that makes it very difficult to remove them. I followed the service manual which begins with you removing the front panel, then the radiator, then the rear panel cover, and finally break down the jigsaw puzzle of circuit boards. I honestly don't think I could have figured it out without the manual. Disassembly instructions begin on page 79.

Here's a couple of photos
dianebrat and vn800art like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4382 of 5018 Old 06-17-2018, 07:39 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 71
You have done a hell of a job there! Again, congrats! And thanks for sharing!
So, if you could say something about the build quality in general and then specifically about the board where the external binding posts are joined, what would you say?

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #4383 of 5018 Old 06-17-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
You have done a hell of a job there! Again, congrats! And thanks for sharing!
So, if you could say something about the build quality in general and then specifically about the board where the external binding posts are joined, what would you say?
From what I can tell this issue is probably just an oversight or design flaw rather than some kind of overall indicator of build quality. The solder joints are all very strong and tidy and the PCB are well laid out and of good quality. Everything seems well engineered and of a good material. Taking one of these things apart really reminds you just how much of an "all in one" device AVRs are expected to be. There is everything but the kitchen sink inside this box and it is really impressive that the quality is what it is considering the price. I got my SR6011 for under $800.

The issue with the binding posts, in more detail, is this:

The binding posts themselves are gold plated and have a little gold "tongue" that sticks inside the case. The motherboard/PCB has a piece of silver metal that is soldered to it. That metal rises up and bends 90 degrees right where the binding post's little gold tongue enters the case. The problem is that the gold tongue and silver piece only make contact by pressure. They are both slid inside a little plastic housing. With enough flexing of the binding posts the little gold tongue no longer makes good contact with the silver leg that connects to the motherboard. I used a Dremel to remove the plastic housing so I could see where the gold tongue and silver leg were making contact and laid some solder across the two. I would hope that if this issue is widespread that it will be changed in future models.
vn800art likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4384 of 5018 Old 06-17-2018, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 5
New Firmware Update for Marantz sr5011
What’s the updated features?
post #4385 of 5018 Old 06-17-2018, 11:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6month View Post
I would like to know as well. One article I found that was posted 1 month ago mentioned the support of Apple Airplay 2.

I'm a bit scared to upgrade as I heard Dolby isn't happy that you can mix some sound modes (DD+DTS Neutral) and wants it removed.
post #4386 of 5018 Old 06-17-2018, 12:40 PM

That's a bad moment really!
I will look at my Sr7011 with a bit of fear.
I couldn't thank You more @Mistar Muffin , You made things really clear. So we have two surfaces (gold-silver ) NOT SOLDERED, a plastic joint and we can only speculate. I will avoid as hell touching my spades (in fact I have not touched them after first installation).
I have good air flow and an air pad on top of the Avr. So the speculation could only regard a protection from overload, if heat rises, plastic will loose contact. But if you often work spades in and out the connectors, even this forceload could determine looseness in the connection!
I am not an engineer.
Regards
Alessandro

Marantz Sr7011, Galactron Mk10b, Pioneer VsxLx50. Klipsch Cornwall, Wharfedale 9.1, Klipsch CP-6. Sony UbpX800, Lg Up970, Hisense 55M5500. 110 inches rolling screen, excelvan cl720d.
post #4387 of 5018 Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Phono Pre-amp recommendation for Marantz 5011

I just got an older audio technical AT-LP50 turn table as gift and wanted to hook it up to my Marantz 5011, found out that I don't have a PHONO input. Found out from google that I need a phono preamp in order to be able to use that turn table.

Which one do you recommend?
post #4388 of 5018 Old 06-17-2018, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2334 Post(s)
Liked: 1663
???

If you're referring to an Audio Technica AT-PL50, it has a built-in preamp. There's a switch to choose whether you use it or not.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/t...4e4/index.html

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/r...at_pl50_om.pdf
post #4389 of 5018 Old 06-18-2018, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Try doing a "soft reset" of the AVR by simply powering it off and unplugging the power cable for 10 minutes. Then try the SAVE again. Ensure the USB thumb drive is FAT16 or FAT32 formatted.
Thanks. That did the trick. I am a bit disappointed though that you can only save one profile on the USB. I was hoping to save multiple for different brands of speakers I own for different purposes (trying out newer speakers, music only, home theater profile etc.).
post #4390 of 5018 Old 06-18-2018, 09:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 740 Post(s)
Quoted: 22594 Post(s)
Liked: 12294
Quote:
Originally Posted by musaji View Post
Thanks. That did the trick. I am a bit disappointed though that you can only save one profile on the USB. I was hoping to save multiple for different brands of speakers I own for different purposes (trying out newer speakers, music only, home theater profile etc.).
If you don't want to use multiple USB thumb drives, simply rename the file to the speaker brand name and then when you want to use it, rename it back to the original file name used by the AVR.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #4391 of 5018 Old 06-18-2018, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6month View Post
Also received for my SR6011 and upgraded. Still can’t find anywhere what is it for! No different functionality detected so far
post #4392 of 5018 Old 06-19-2018, 06:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobknavs View Post
???

If you're referring to an Audio Technica AT-PL50, it has a built-in preamp. There's a switch to choose whether you use it or not.

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/t...4e4/index.html

https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/r...at_pl50_om.pdf
So do i just connect it to an RCA red white on my 5011 (like game0? I tried but nothing comes out on the speakers. Do I need to do anything special?
post #4393 of 5018 Old 06-20-2018, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgard1an View Post
So do i just connect it to an RCA red white on my 5011 (like game0? I tried but nothing comes out on the speakers. Do I need to do anything special?
If the turntable pre-amp is switched ON, then you should be able to connect the RCA cable to any of the analog inputs. Try different analog inputs. If no audio with the master volume raised, there is likely an issue with the turntable's pre-amp.
post #4394 of 5018 Old 06-20-2018, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If the turntable pre-amp is switched ON, then you should be able to connect the RCA cable to any of the analog inputs. Try different analog inputs. If no audio with the master volume raised, there is likely an issue with the turntable's pre-amp.
Ok thanks will try that later today. Most likely connect the RCA to one of the analog input not in use by HDMI.
post #4395 of 5018 Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbazul View Post
Also received for my SR6011 and upgraded. Still can’t find anywhere what is it for! No different functionality detected so far
After reading went to website and downloaded for SR7011. Updates never auto-download nor can I find info on what is updates?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firmware  Update 6-22-18. twoJPG.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2419220  

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #4396 of 5018 Old 06-22-2018, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistar Muffin View Post
From what I can tell this issue is probably just an oversight or design flaw rather than some kind of overall indicator of build quality. The solder joints are all very strong and tidy and the PCB are well laid out and of good quality. Everything seems well engineered and of a good material. Taking one of these things apart really reminds you just how much of an "all in one" device AVRs are expected to be. There is everything but the kitchen sink inside this box and it is really impressive that the quality is what it is considering the price. I got my SR6011 for under $800.

The issue with the binding posts, in more detail, is this:

The binding posts themselves are gold plated and have a little gold "tongue" that sticks inside the case. The motherboard/PCB has a piece of silver metal that is soldered to it. That metal rises up and bends 90 degrees right where the binding post's little gold tongue enters the case. The problem is that the gold tongue and silver piece only make contact by pressure. They are both slid inside a little plastic housing. With enough flexing of the binding posts the little gold tongue no longer makes good contact with the silver leg that connects to the motherboard. I used a Dremel to remove the plastic housing so I could see where the gold tongue and silver leg were making contact and laid some solder across the two. I would hope that if this issue is widespread that it will be changed in future models.

Anyone did a warranty repair for this problem? I have the same problem albeit sporadically on my right fronts. I've heard others sending for warranty repair and marantz saying they couldn't replicate the problem. This is highly possible because there is no pattern to this fault showing up.

Any advice is much appreciated!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4397 of 5018 Old 06-22-2018, 05:20 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenyatta80 View Post
Anyone did a warranty repair for this problem? I have the same problem albeit sporadically on my right fronts. I've heard others sending for warranty repair and marantz saying they couldn't replicate the problem. This is highly possible because there is no pattern to this fault showing up.

Put your foot down and hold your ground -ask for refund. Or move to Australia where the manufacturer will be fined more than their business is worth if they do not make good their warranty. Whether they can or can't reproduce the issue is not relevant, you are entitled to a good product that will not intermittently fail.
zenyatta80 likes this.
post #4398 of 5018 Old 06-22-2018, 08:18 PM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
It will happen again, and probably in the foreseeable future, this does not get better but you can test with simple zip cord however I noticed that you don't mention if you're clamping or banana plugs, just keep in mind this does not always affect methods.
I have the same problem with my sr6011, sending it back to the manufacture for third time.

Is it a common problem, lose wire bindings ? What do you mean by testing with zip cord ?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G900F met Tapatalk
post #4399 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 06:05 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick4K View Post
I have the same problem with my sr6011, sending it back to the manufacture for third time.
Is it a common problem, lose wire bindings ? What do you mean by testing with zip cord ?
Despite what a certain produce named member says, it's not a common issue but it's pretty lousy for those that experience it.
What I meant by "you can test with zip cord" is that the poster was using expensive speaker wire and if that ended in banana plugs that he didn't want to cut off to test, he could use simple inexpensive power/electrical cord. Zip cord is a common US term for that kind of wire.
Nick4K likes this.
post #4400 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenyatta80 View Post

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
Despite what a certain produce named member says, it's not a common issue but it's pretty lousy for those that experience it.
What I meant by "you can test with zip cord" is that the poster was using expensive speaker wire and if that ended in banana plugs that he didn't want to cut off to test, he could use simple inexpensive power/electrical cord. Zip cord is a common US term for that kind of wire.
IMO there is no point in minimizing the issue. Common occurrence or not, "it is lousy for those that experience it".
Also we all know that the laws of physics are the same everywhere, therefore, it will occur to every unit that will have loose contacts inside the binding posts. I imagine that eventually most would - perhaps, after the warranty period.

The other lousy dimension to this issue is that it appears that the manufacturer will not authorise "the cost of 5 hours or more per unit of expensive technician's time to actually fix the issue". The repairers can only say " we cannot reproduce it. we cannot find the fault. it is working now, so you can get it back now". What else can they do if they are not going to be paid enough to really fix this specific issue?

Unless one can fix it himself thru DIY, the only other alternative that I know to "contentedly living with this lousy situation like @dianebrat ", is to "PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN AND HOLD YOUR GROUND. ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK or a proper replacement".
You paid with good money, you are entitled to a good product.

Last edited by Fruit; 06-23-2018 at 07:07 AM.
post #4401 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 AM

My first unit is sended two times, than i was getting a replacement by the store. A brand new, after a couple of months the same problem, just send it back for repair two weeks ago.

Exactly what you say, the claim the can't find the problem. Its giving me headaches over a year.

I have a couple of questions:

Are the loose binding post problems only familiar with Marantz devices or also other brands like Denon ?

Is it better to try banana plugs, because than I can leave alone the screw terminals. Or do get loose inside the receiver where the terminal is soldered on (so not the terminal itself) ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit View Post
IMO there is no point in minimizing the issue. Common occurrence or not, "it is lousy for those that experience it".
Also we all know that the laws of physics are the same everywhere, therefore, it will occur to every unit that will have loose contacts inside the binding posts. I imagine that eventually most would - perhaps, after the warranty period.

The other lousy dimension to this issue is that it appears that the manufacturer will not authorise "the cost of 5 hours or more per unit of expensive technician's time to actually fix the issue". The repairers can only say " we cannot reproduce it. we cannot find the fault. it is working now, so you can get it back now". What else can they do if they are not going to be paid enough to really fix this specific issue?

Unless one can fix it himself thru DIY, the only other alternative that I know to "contentedly living with this lousy situation like @dianebrat ", is to "PUT YOUR FOOT DOWN AND HOLD YOUR GROUND. ASK FOR YOUR MONEY BACK or a proper replacement".
post #4402 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 07:17 AM

My first unit is se
Quote:

post #4403 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 07:39 AM

Quote:
My first unit is sended two times, than i was getting a replacement by the store. A brand new, after a couple of months the same problem, just send it back for repair two weeks ago.

Exactly what you say, the claim the can't find the problem. Its giving me headaches over a year.

I have a couple of questions:

Are the loose binding post problems only familiar with Marantz devices or also other brands like Denon ?

Is it better to try banana plugs, because than I can leave alone the screw terminals. Or do get loose inside the receiver where the terminal is soldered on (so not the terminal itself) ?

It really does not matter whether banana plugs, spades, or simple wires are used. The loose contacts occur well inside the speaker binding posts.
Your case also proves the point that because it is a design flaw, most units would exhibit the problem at some point in time. Even a brand new replacement would have the same defect.

Below is a direct quote from Mista Muffin's previous post above.

"The binding posts themselves are gold plated and have a little gold "tongue" that sticks inside the case. The motherboard/PCB has a piece of silver metal that is soldered to it. That metal rises up and bends 90 degrees right where the binding post's little gold tongue enters the case. The problem is that the gold tongue and silver piece only make contact by pressure. They are both slid inside a little plastic housing. With enough flexing of the binding posts the little gold tongue no longer makes good contact with the silver leg that connects to the motherboard. I used a Dremel to remove the plastic housing so I could see where the gold tongue and silver leg were making contact and laid some solder across the two. I would hope that if this issue is widespread that it will be changed in future models."

There are pictures and close ups of the area where the loose contact occur in previous posts. Check them out.

The defect is due to a "design flaw" of the binding posts that cannot be repaired thru warranty. I am positive that the cost to fix, thru repair, of the design flaw will be more than the cost of the receiver itself so you must not entertain any hope that an authorised repairer would really repair your unit. So, if you cannot repair it yourself then the only alternative is ask for your money back so you can start over again purchasing a suitable receiver.

I only know of the 2016 Marantz models having this defect. I personally prefer Marantz despite this defect because I can fix it myself, than a Denon with a sound that cannot be fixed.

Last edited by Fruit; 06-23-2018 at 09:05 AM.
post #4404 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 11:17 AM

@Mistar Muffin @Fruit
From what you have learnt due to direct inspection and collecting informations in the web, what is causing the fault, are they mechanical or heat forces applied to the terminals?
Thanks for your interest
Regards
Alessandro

post #4405 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
It's only an issue for the 2 or 3 Marantz members who have posted about it, otherwise, I don't recall it being brought up before over the past several years.
dianebrat and bob brennan like this.
post #4406 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
@Mistar Muffin @Fruit
From what you have learnt due to direct inspection and collecting informations in the web, what is causing the fault, are they mechanical or heat forces applied to the terminals?
Thanks for your interest
Regards
Alessandro
Mista Muffin describes the problem very aptly "The problem is that the gold tongue and silver piece only make contact by pressure. They are both slid inside a little plastic housing. With enough flexing of the binding posts the little gold tongue no longer makes good contact with the silver leg that connects to the motherboard."

1. So, both mechanical and heat forces affect the performance of the "contacts inside the plastic housing".
2. I would also add that "aging of the plastic housing" would reduce the pressure of the contact. The contact will become loose over time by itself.
3. I would add one more. Metal-to-metal corrosion due to the large electrical currents passing thru the un-soldered connection accelerates the "chemical aging" of the contact-points of the metal parts themselves. All units that drive speakers thru these faulty binding posts will eventually have loose connections.

In summary, mechanical, atmospheric (heat, humidity, etc), using it and even leaving the receiver alone would contribute to the development of the loose connections. "Just give it enough time ...", it will happen.

Just my 2-cents worth.
vn800art likes this.

Last edited by Fruit; 06-23-2018 at 03:41 PM.
post #4407 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 04:48 PM

Quote:
It's only an issue for the 2 or 3 Marantz members who have posted about it, otherwise, I don't recall it being brought up before over the past several years.
Wow, what a beauty.

Quote:

Yes, it' really sad and lousy as lousy can be.

Last edited by Fruit; 06-23-2018 at 07:00 PM.
post #4408 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 05:34 PM

Quote:

Agreed. I chose to perform the DIY fix because I suspected that if I barked up the warranty tree it would go one of a couple of ways:

1) Warranty technicians will be unable to replicate and I will get my receiver back with no changes
2) I will receive a replacement receiver either new or refurbished.

The issue with 2) is that this issue is likely to reoccur with any replacement receiver. It is a design flaw and all receivers have the potential to have the problem. I opted to just perform a "permanent" fix myself for a reasonable expectation that the problem will not reoccur. I suppose there is an unlikely third option: Marantz could acknowledge the issue and have replacement parts manufactured without the flaw. Similar to how automobile recalls or service bulletins work. Still, call me cynical but I found this unlikely so opted to just do it myself.

Last edited by Mistar Muffin; 06-23-2018 at 05:37 PM.
post #4409 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistar Muffin View Post
Agreed. I chose to perform the DIY fix because I suspected that if I barked up the warranty tree it would go one of a couple of ways:

1) Warranty technicians will be unable to replicate and I will get my receiver back with no changes
2) I will receive a replacement receiver either new or refurbished.

The issue with 2) is that this issue is likely to reoccur with any replacement receiver. It is a design flaw and all receivers have the potential to have the problem. I opted to just perform a "permanent" fix myself for a reasonable expectation that the problem will not reoccur. I suppose there is an unlikely third option: Marantz could acknowledge the issue and have replacement parts manufactured without the flaw. Similar to how automobile recalls or service bulletins work. Still, call me cynical but I found this unlikely so opted to just do it myself.
More likely a one off issue with a few units or perhaps a batch issue.
post #4410 of 5018 Old 06-23-2018, 06:58 PM

Quote:
More likely a one off issue with a few units or perhaps a batch issue.
One off? A batch issue? With due respect, I do NOT think so.

The problem is being experienced:
1. in diverse georaphical locations across the globe, and
2. from units with diverse purchase dates including brand-new replacements.

It is definitely not a one-off or batch issue. I suspect it's either a cost-cutting measure putting in the cheapest binding posts that Marantz can get away with or intentional "planned obsolesence feature".
zenyatta80 likes this.

Last edited by Fruit; 06-23-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
analog or toslink headphones sr6011 , audio outputs , marantz receiver ethernet playback noise , NR-1607

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page