*Official* Marantz 2016 NR-1607, SR-5011/6011/7011 owner's thread - Page 148 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7309Likes

post #4411 of 5016 Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
More likely a one off issue with a few units or perhaps a batch issue.
Once disassembling the receiver and laying eyes on the interior of the binding posts it is clear that the contacts are just not adequately secured. It works but is far more fragile than it needs to be. Fragile is the key here. I fully expect that almost all units work perfectly from the factory. But as these models age and the binding posts get bumped or flexed you will probably see more reports. When I had mine apart I lightly pushed down on the binding posts and watched the gold tongue raise up from the silver leg that connects it to the PCB. It takes very little pressure. I suggest everyone baby your binding posts on these units.

We should foster discussion of these sorts of issues instead of trying to downplay them. No one is sounding the alarm and talking about boycotting Marantz. I specifically said in my earlier post that I don't think is indicative of Marantz's overall build quality. I think it's just an oversight or a cost cutting measure that went a bit too far. We can still be fans of Denon and Marantz while discussing their flaws and mistakes.
vn800art, Fruit and zenyatta80 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4412 of 5016 Old 06-24-2018, 06:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
It's only an issue for the 2 or 3 Marantz members who have posted about it, otherwise, I don't recall it being brought up before over the past several years.
Yep, as a sufferer of this flaw I agree, considering the number of AVS members and our threads if this were common the thread would be swamped in this issue, it's clearly an edge case which explains why the Marantz techs really can't seem to fix/ID it. I also don't agree with a certain other poster that it will always happen and always get worse for everyone, having seen the inside I can see how the banana plugs would be the first failure point and in my case it explains how the unit wound up a refurb.
post #4413 of 5016 Old 06-24-2018, 11:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has this issue been brought up anywhere else or is it a fairly isolated here? I am thinking of getting a refurbished 7011 from S&S but still have my refurbished OCD from the past. So I guess what I'm getting at would the binding post make this more of a pain than it is worth? If so would it be better to go with the 7012 or comparable Denon or ??? Looking to do the 4K upgrade to the HT and looking to get the best bang for my buck, but also get quality. Has anyone had a refurbished receiver from S&S? Any issues or problems with the receiver or was it the best thing evah?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4414 of 5016 Old 06-24-2018, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
..., having seen the inside I can see how the banana plugs would be the first failure point and in my case it explains how the unit wound up a refurb.
I think you are lying.

I opened mine but cannot see how the binding post can be a first failure point. One has to cut open the plastic housing of the binding posts to actually see anything relevant to the fault.
Can you please elaborate and fully explain your statement "how the banana plugs would be the first failure point"?

If you really saw inside and understood what you saw, then;

1. you can explain fully why is it that no unit with the fault actually got fixed thru warranty repair, NONE.
2. you can explain the meaning of what a very courteous and well-mannered person like Mistar Muffin, who we all know actually saw inside, stated "I suggest everyone baby your binding posts on these units."
3. you can explain fully, that at the minimum, that all units can potentially fail in the not-too-distant-future due to the binding posts' "fragility", if you know what we are talking about.

Enough said. Maybe I should now heed the advice "Not to discuss anything with an i....., he'll bring you down to his/her level and beat you up with experience."

Last edited by Fruit; 06-24-2018 at 01:36 PM.
post #4415 of 5016 Old 06-24-2018, 01:35 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit View Post
I think you are lying.

I opened mine but cannot see how the binding post can be a first failure point. One has to cut open the plastic housing of the binding posts to actually see anything relevant to the fault.
Can you please elaborate and fully explain your statement "how the banana plugs would be the first failure point"?

If you really saw inside and understood what you saw, then;

1. you can explain fully why is it that no unit with the fault actually got fixed thru warranty repair, NONE.
2. you can explain the meaning of what a very courteous and well-mannered person like Mistar Muffin, who we all know actually saw inside, stated "I suggest everyone baby your binding posts on these units."
3. you can explain fully, that at the minimum, that all units can potentially fail in the not-too-distant-future due to the binding posts' "fragility" if you know what we are talking about.

Enough said. Maybe I should now heed the advice "Not to discuss anything with an i....., he'll bring you down to his/her level and beat you up with experience."
I looked at YOUR photos, but you know what, if all that gets me is this abuse from you it wasn't worth the effort, please carry on your one man crusade, that's what I get for occasionally looking at your posts while you're on ignore, I won't make that mistake again.
gpzbc and Fruit like this.
post #4416 of 5016 Old 06-24-2018, 01:43 PM

Quote:
I looked at YOUR photos, but you know what, if all that gets me is this abuse from you it wasn't worth the effort, please carry on your one man crusade, that's what I get for occasionally looking at your posts while you're on ignore, I won't make that mistake again.
But my photos cannot explain why the binding posts can be "a first failure point" nor do they indicate that the defect is an "edge case".

1. While I try very hard to explain scientifically and help people with facts and pictures you are motivated to mis-inform and "muddy the waters" with your posts. Why?
2. In your previous post you mentioned that your "unit wound up a refurb.". Am I right to conclude that you heeded my advice and got rid of your unit while at the same time you were giving advice to others to keep theirs by suggesting ways to connect speakers to their faulty units? WOW.

The only ethical advice should reflect the truth that:
1. The defect is not yet fixable thru warranty repair.
2. The defect is being experienced in geographically diverse locations accross the globe spanning purchase dates from the first units to brand-new replacements.
3. It is a design flaw that could well affect *ALL units due perhaps to cost-cutting measures by Marantz.

"If one is not prepared to fix the defect of the binding posts himself/herself (ala DIY) then stay clear of these models".

Last edited by Fruit; 06-24-2018 at 03:10 PM.
post #4417 of 5016 Old 06-24-2018, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
But my photos cannot explain why the binding posts can be "a first failure point" nor do they indicate that the defect is an "edge case".

1. While I try very hard to explain scientifically and help people with facts and pictures you are motivated to mis-inform and "muddy the waters" with your posts. Why?
2. In your previous post you mentioned that your "unit wound up a refurb.". Am I right to conclude that you heeded my advice and got rid of your unit while at the same time you were giving advice to others to keep theirs by suggesting ways to connect speakers to their faulty units? WOW.

The only ethical advice should reflect the truth that:
1. The defect is not yet fixable thru warranty repair.
2. The defect is being experienced in geographically diverse locations accross the globe spanning purchase dates from the first units to brand-new replacements.
3. It is a design flaw that could well affect *ALL units due perhaps to cost-cutting measures by Marantz.

"If one is not prepared to fix the defect of the binding posts himself/herself (ala DIY) then stay clear of these models".
I'm going to reply as best I can, and I'll try and use short succinct sentences so it's clear since you made it a point to single me out.

You seem very happy to make crass and generalized assumptions about me, my skills, and my equipment and in every case are uninformed.
So you can rest assured that anything you assume about me, my equipment, or my skills will never be addressed because that's giving into your ego driven attacks and they have been attacks.

I will continue to participate in the forum in the same positive way I always have, ignoring those who can only comment in the negative, and once again going back to not bothering with posts from those with only negativity to offer.

I can hope for nothing more than for you to buy something new that makes you happy so you can take your negativity and toxicity to another thread.
Madmax67 and Fruit like this.
post #4418 of 5016 Old 06-24-2018, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Pls help,
Can anybody give suggestion how to clean RCA connector.
Backside of my AVR SR7011 RCA cu connector color appears to be black.Few connectors are in original color.
Any possibilities to get back the original gold kind of color ?

Sent from my BND-AL10 using Tapatalk
post #4419 of 5016 Old 06-24-2018, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by reachkalyan.kr View Post
Pls help,
Backside of my AVR SR7011 RCA cu connector color appears to be black.Few connectors are in original color.

Is it normal ?

post #4420 of 5016 Old 06-24-2018, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reachkalyan.kr View Post
Pls help,
The normal reason for a metal to change color is oxidation or something in the environment causing it, it can also happen when there is voltage on a line that shouldn't be there, any normal solution that one would use to remove oxidation from silver, brass, or gold jewelry should remove the discoloration, however I would be concerned with how that happened, if it was on unused jacks that were open to the air that would point to an environmental factor.

However the obvious question is are they currently affecting operation in any way because they might not.
Madmax67 likes this.
post #4421 of 5016 Old 06-26-2018, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Marantz SR7011 not working after update

After a recent auto update over wifi my AVR suddenly stopped audio and video output. I have checked all basic setup requirements and found everything normal. However, the AVR is neither giving video output from any HDMI out nor it is showing any speaker connected to it on its front display. No sound from any speaker terminal. Also i am not able to access setup menu either by remote or front panel buttons. When status is checked, it displays I/P Scaler Error 01 followed by other firmware status. I have tried soft reset, hard reset, processor initialisation, factory reset and offline firmware upgrade with usb multiple time but the situation remains the same. Totaly helpless in doing futher changes as i am not able to reach setup in any way. Cannot even think about any hardware failure as it was working absolutely fine before auto update took place. Also protection error log is clear. No entries.

Having updated firmware with USB many times following status is being shown in firmware status on front display . please note that first line says "i/p scaler error 01" and further shows GUI ver as 'FFFFFFFF" which seems abnormal.

ip scaler err 01
sr7011 n
s/n 2170605793
from. package ver : 0011
main : 02020071
main FBL : 00.36
DSP1: 03.04
DSP2: 04.04
DSP3: 05.00
DSP4: 06.05
AUDIO PLD: 56.06
VIDEO PLD: 54.04
GUI: FFFFFFFFFF
HEOS VERSION: 1.454.230
HEOS BUILD: 129803
HEOS MODULE: 5
HEOS CONFIG PRODUCTION
HEOS LOCALE EN_EU
ETHER MAC 0005CD-E801DC
WIFI MAC 0005CD-E801DE
BT MAC ADD 005CD-E801DD
ANDY IFVER: 00.08

I have tried updating with both latest european and american firmware vesrions and also with intial firmware version available in marantz site, but status remains the same.

My AVR is out of warranty. If anybody has any idea about this situation, kindly suggest step to get it back to normal.
post #4422 of 5016 Old 06-26-2018, 06:58 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Despite what a certain produce named member says, it's not a common issue but it's pretty lousy for those that experience it.
What I meant by "you can test with zip cord" is that the poster was using expensive speaker wire and if that ended in banana plugs that he didn't want to cut off to test, he could use simple inexpensive power/electrical cord. Zip cord is a common US term for that kind of wire.

I am the proud and happy owner of a Marantz SR7011 and I have not experienced this problem but I am glad for this thread and the information regarding this issue. It is important for all of the owners of these receivers to stay on top of this potentially devastating issue so that we can force Marantz's hand in case of a class action suit.
zenyatta80 likes this.
post #4423 of 5016 Old 06-26-2018, 01:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop497 View Post

After a recent auto update over wifi my AVR suddenly stopped audio and video output. I have checked all basic setup requirements and found everything normal. However, the AVR is neither giving video output from any HDMI out nor it is showing any speaker connected to it on its front display. No sound from any speaker terminal. Also i am not able to access setup menu either by remote or front panel buttons. When status is checked, it displays I/P Scaler Error 01 followed by other firmware status. I have tried soft reset, hard reset, processor initialisation, factory reset and offline firmware upgrade with usb multiple time but the situation remains the same. Totaly helpless in doing futher changes as i am not able to reach setup in any way. Cannot even think about any hardware failure as it was working absolutely fine before auto update took place. Also protection error log is clear. No entries.

Having updated firmware with USB many times following status is being shown in firmware status on front display . please note that first line says "i/p scaler error 01" and further shows GUI ver as 'FFFFFFFF" which seems abnormal.

ip scaler err 01
sr7011 n
s/n 2170605793
from. package ver : 0011
main : 02020071
main FBL : 00.36
DSP1: 03.04
DSP2: 04.04
DSP3: 05.00
DSP4: 06.05
AUDIO PLD: 56.06
VIDEO PLD: 54.04
GUI: FFFFFFFFFF
HEOS VERSION: 1.454.230
HEOS BUILD: 129803
HEOS MODULE: 5
HEOS CONFIG PRODUCTION
HEOS LOCALE EN_EU
ETHER MAC 0005CD-E801DC
WIFI MAC 0005CD-E801DE
BT MAC ADD 005CD-E801DD
ANDY IFVER: 00.08

I have tried updating with both latest european and american firmware vesrions and also with intial firmware version available in marantz site, but status remains the same.

My AVR is out of warranty. If anybody has any idea about this situation, kindly suggest step to get it back to normal.
This is what was displayed after it was downloaded
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Firmware  Update 6-22-18. twoJPG.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	2420870  

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #4424 of 5016 Old 06-26-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:

ip scaler err 01
Could be HW Failure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IPScaler Err01.PNG
Views:	50
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	2420900  
post #4425 of 5016 Old 06-26-2018, 02:40 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob brennan View Post
That's interesting, I'm missing several entries after flashing it, it was that way on the last build, and it's that way on this build.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	892.1 KB
ID:	2420922  
post #4426 of 5016 Old 06-26-2018, 02:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
That's interesting, I'm missing several entries after flashing it, it was that way on the last build, and it's that way on this build.
Yours says package "0010" - mine states package "0011"

LG OLED 77G7P - Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 – OPPO UDP-203/103D - Toshiba HD-DVD-3A – Harmony ONE
Marantz SR7011 - Definitive Technology - Studio Monitor 65 (2) - CS8040HD - Studio Monitor 55 (2) - Super Cube 6000
post #4427 of 5016 Old 06-27-2018, 12:31 AM

Quote:

Sir in your case was it an auto download or manual update from usb. In case of later can you please share link for the same. Could it be that i have downloaded a corrupt firmware?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #4428 of 5016 Old 06-27-2018, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Could be HW Failure.

@Fruit thank you for your valuable input. Really shocking to consider such possibility of HW failure. How a firmware download can cause such HW failure? Can u throw some more light on the probable cause and way out in case u have in-depth knowledge on what you mentioned.? What particular board/pcb/component i would have to change in this case when i take it to service guys. Can you please share the source of your input so that i can study further about it. Your help will be highly appreciated. Regards.

post #4429 of 5016 Old 06-27-2018, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Is there a setting on these receivers to allow the volume to just by whole numbers rather than decimal numbers ?
post #4430 of 5016 Old 06-27-2018, 02:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22557 Post(s)
Liked: 12278
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentPeppers View Post
Is there a setting on these receivers to allow the volume to just by whole numbers rather than decimal numbers ?
No. Simply hold the volume buttons down longer if you want the volume to change faster.
post #4431 of 5016 Old 06-27-2018, 02:36 AM

Quote:
@Fruit thank you for your valuable input. Really shocking to consider such possibility of HW failure. How a firmware download can cause such HW failure? Can u throw some more light on the probable cause and way out in case u have in-depth knowledge on what you mentioned.? What particular board/pcb/component i would have to change in this case when i take it to service guys. Can you please share the source of your input so that i can study further about it. Your help will be highly appreciated. Regards.

A failure can happen anytime, especially with very complex LSI chips like the I/P scaler. I would think that it's just coincidence that the failure occurred while downloading firmware. Localised high temperature could also be a factor when there is not enough space at the top of the unit to ventilate.
The service manual suggests checking the circuits around it. But you know what, these digital devices do not have much of circuits around them except conductors to carry power and signals around, some resistors to limit currents, and some capacitors to shunt noise to ground. In short, it's either one of the the I/P scaler chips is broken or a component or loose connection of the circuits around them.

Other than replacing the digital board, you can try flexing the board just in case that would fix some loose connection(s). Maybe you can achieve this by loosening all the screws that attach the digital board to the back panel then press with moderate force the attached HDMI cables plugs. I have not tried this (because I have no reason to). It's up to you to weigh the risks. The digital board is the top one where the HDMI sockets are connected to.

You can also try removing the cover, then press on the middle part of the digital board to flex it.

Let us know how you go. I am not hopeful but am keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Madmax67 likes this.

Last edited by Fruit; 06-27-2018 at 02:49 PM.
post #4432 of 5016 Old 06-27-2018, 03:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Sir in your case was it an auto download or manual update from usb. In case of later can you please share link for the same. Could it be that i have downloaded a corrupt firmware?

Downloaded from the website and by going to support - updates & upgrades - identifying correct model (7011) and then entering serial # & downloading to flash drive. The upload progress only displays on the receiver & not on the TV screen. Takes some time for the download which is shown on the dispay.

http://www.us.marantz.com/us/support...ctupdates.aspx
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2018 Marantz Firmware Update Instructions via USB - SR7011_02_14_18.pdf (100.3 KB, 20 views)

Last edited by bob brennan; 06-27-2018 at 03:05 AM.
post #4433 of 5016 Old 06-27-2018, 04:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yours says package "0010" - mine states package "0011"
Yeah I caught that, but then that's the version I downloaded from the Marantz website just a few days ago and it doesn't find anything else when I ask it to check, where did you get 0011?
I even went back to 0009 and those fields are still missing.
post #4434 of 5016 Old 06-27-2018, 05:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah I caught that, but then that's the version I downloaded from the Marantz website just a few days ago and it doesn't find anything else when I ask it to check, where did you get 0011?
I even went back to 0009 and those fields are still missing.
See post 4432 just above!

RECENT UPDATES/UPGRADES
[SR7011] 05/31/2018
North American Version Only- May 2018 Release
Release Date: May 31 2018

post #4435 of 5016 Old 06-27-2018, 08:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

RECENT UPDATES/UPGRADES
[SR7011] 05/31/2018
I could have sworn that was the one I downloaded, but just grabbed it again
post #4436 of 5016 Old 06-28-2018, 04:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

RECENT UPDATES/UPGRADES
[SR7011] 05/31/2018
Quote:
I could have sworn that was the one I downloaded, but just grabbed it again
Yeah found the updated one, flashed supposedly successfully with 0011 and the same missing values, even after full unplug and replug, this might need a customer support email
post #4437 of 5016 Old 06-28-2018, 11:54 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeargentPeppers View Post
"No. Simply hold the volume buttons down longer if you want the volume to change faster."

Yes there is, just go to audio set up, volume display. 2 choices, db or 0-98, you want 0-98

Music, more music.
post #4438 of 5016 Old 06-29-2018, 01:35 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22557 Post(s)
Liked: 12278
Quote:
Originally Posted by altpensacola View Post
Yes there is, just go to audio set up, volume display. 2 choices, db or 0-98, you want 0-98
Correct, but that involves using a different scale.
post #4439 of 5016 Old 06-30-2018, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Could be HW Failure.

Unbelievable!! @Fruit thanks for all the guidance. All will be surprised with what i am going to say ahead. The quoted post gave a hint about ICs which could be faulty as per error code. I did some more research and found that few guys with Onkyo receiver had similar symptoms and surprisingly they resolved it by heating certain ICs on HDMI board with IR lamp or hot air blower. Although it stands no logic to a commoner but i gave it a try myself. I applied the same method to HDMI board ICs (402, 403) with a hair drier and guess what it worked!!!!!!. . I cant believe it myself. Display is ON with every input, set up menu is accessible , speaker matrix is showing up on AVR display and sound coming out rom all channels. So happy to see my AVR alive again. I am attaching pic of ICs which are behaving this strange way.
As of now its working but not sure how long it is going to stay. If any of you guys find any logic to this please do share your knowledge. I guess if the IC are behaving this way, its certain that they have some issue and give up anytime. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9082.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	907.2 KB
ID:	2422236Are these IC replaceable through DIY? I would like to do that instead of going with expensive HDMI board replacement. Thanks guys.

vn800art likes this.
post #4440 of 5016 Old 06-30-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Unbelievable!! @Fruit thanks for all the guidance. All will be surprised with what i am going to say ahead. The quoted post gave a hint about ICs which could be faulty as per error code. I did some more research and found that few guys with Onkyo receiver had similar symptoms and surprisingly they resolved it by heating certain ICs on HDMI board with IR lamp or hot air blower. Although it stands no logic to a commoner but i gave it a try myself. I applied the same method to HDMI board ICs (402, 403) with a hair drier and guess what it worked!!!!!!. . I cant believe it myself. Display is ON with every input, set up menu is accessible , speaker matrix is showing up on AVR display and sound coming out rom all channels. So happy to see my AVR alive again. I am attaching pic of ICs which are behaving this strange way.
As of now its working but not sure how long it is going to stay. If any of you guys find any logic to this please do share your knowledge. I guess if the IC are behaving this way, its certain that they have some issue and give up anytime. Attachment 2422236Are these IC replaceable through DIY? I would like to do that instead of going with expensive HDMI board replacement. Thanks guys.

Congratulations! Very good thinking!

I remember that remedy from a long time ago. My primary school children did that to their early generation X-Box whenever it failed to boot or misbehaved.
The reason for the failure, I think is loose contact somewhere within or on one of the hundred contacts underneath. Most things mechanically expand when heated. The mechanical expansion/deformation when heating the chip and/or its surroundings healed the loose contact. (That's the theory as explained to me by my children a long time ago). Maybe the Onkyo guys learned the solution from their children too .

Thanks, @anoop497 for posting. We are all wiser with your post.

Last edited by Fruit; 06-30-2018 at 05:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
analog or toslink headphones sr6011 , audio outputs , marantz receiver ethernet playback noise , NR-1607

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page