*Official* Marantz 2016 NR-1607, SR-5011/6011/7011 owner's thread - Page 151 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7309Likes

post #4501 of 5016 Old 08-04-2018, 03:05 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
I have the SR7011 and a Sony Z9D. It passes DV just fine. The issue wasn't some weird implementation (DV is DV). The issue was that Dolby has different profiles where it's either led by the player or led by the TV (similar whereas audio can be decoded and sent as PCM, or bitstreamed and up for the receiver to decide it). Sony's profile required the player to send it when used from external source via HDMI. Luckily Oppo updated their profile to allow player-led DV.

The receiver just recognizes DV and passes it through, and it doesn't matter on profile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuGsArEtAsTy View Post
Good to know, thanks. I can happily shop for Sony TVs.

However, my understanding was the "low latency" profile that Sony uses was developed after the fact specifically for Sony and Sony alone, because their chipsets were not originally developed with Dolby Vision in mind.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarc.../#24dc8d66498a
BuGs is correct. The whole issue with DV originated with Sony and their (IMO) sub-standard implementation. It irks me to no end that Oppo got the bulk of the blame in that unfortunate situation. However, Oppo came through in the end.

Personally, not owning a Sony TV, my player and 6011 functioned flawlessly already.

TCL 55P607, OPPO UDP-203, 4K Fire TV, Marantz 6011, Rotel 1075 (Atmos)
DefTech SM 65 (X7), SVS PB16 Ultra (X2), SVS Prime Elevation (X4)
Headphone rig: PC-> Schiit Wyrd ->Schiit Modi Multibit ->Stax SRM-353X ->THX AAA 789
Headphones: Stax SR-207, Stax SR-L700, M1060, TH-X00 Purpleheart, HD600, HD6XX, etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4502 of 5016 Old 08-04-2018, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1076 Post(s)
Liked: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Zuehlke View Post
BuGs is correct. The whole issue with DV originated with Sony and their (IMO) sub-standard implementation. It irks me to no end that Oppo got the bulk of the blame in that unfortunate situation. However, Oppo came through in the end.

Personally, not owning a Sony TV, my player and 6011 functioned flawlessly already.
It's not a blame game (if anything, Dolby). Like I said, it's a profile communication between player-led and tv-led DV processing, but DV is DV. There's no such thing as a choice to implement substandard DV.

Bottom line, if the AVR receiver is DV capable, it just needs to recognize DV signal and pass it through. It's agnostic to which profile it is.

On the Marantz SR7011 (which I have), it works great and passes DV from my Oppo 203 to my Sony Z9D.

Sony XBR-77A9G / Panasonic DP-UB9000 / Marantz SR7011 / Def Tech 9060 Series
post #4503 of 5016 Old 08-05-2018, 11:43 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06 View Post
It's not a blame game (if anything, Dolby)..
Actually there is blame and for me that blame falls first on Sony for making the request for this hacked DV profile, then to Dolby for allowing it to happen, the only good news is that receivers that pass DV will also pass player-led DV without missing a beat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4504 of 5016 Old 08-06-2018, 05:55 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked: 243
My SR6011 has stopped showing anything in the little porthole display. I checked the settings and it should be on, but it is not.

Anyone have a solution other than a repair center?

Otherwise the unit is working just fine.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #4505 of 5016 Old 08-06-2018, 10:24 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22559 Post(s)
Liked: 12279
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
My SR6011 has stopped showing anything in the little porthole display. I checked the settings and it should be on, but it is not.

Anyone have a solution other than a repair center?

Otherwise the unit is working just fine.
Unless using PURE DIRECT which will turn off the display after 15 seconds of being selected, otherwise, try doing a "soft reset" by powering off the AVR and unplugging the power cord for 10 minutes. If still no joy, refer to post 5 of this thread and do a microprocessor reset.
fredxr2d2 likes this.
post #4506 of 5016 Old 08-06-2018, 02:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
i have a question.. If I have two rows of seating and the second row is raised where would the best microphone placement be with Audyssey? I’ve tried numerous and not sure if doing it right.
I’ve done it by taking first three measurements up front then three in back row and then two in the middle of both rows. Then I tried starting in the middle of both than threw up front and two at the back row. Then tried just the front row....
Since there’s 4 seats in each two rows I’ve aced the mic on the arm rests of each to make it uniform.
Any insight with setting up my SR6011 with our theater room and the two rows of seating with the back row being 12” higher.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.
post #4507 of 5016 Old 08-06-2018, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuBerger View Post
i have a question.. If I have two rows of seating and the second row is raised where would the best microphone placement be with Audyssey? I’ve tried numerous and not sure if doing it right.
I’ve done it by taking first three measurements up front then three in back row and then two in the middle of both rows. Then I tried starting in the middle of both than threw up front and two at the back row. Then tried just the front row....
Since there’s 4 seats in each two rows I’ve aced the mic on the arm rests of each to make it uniform.
Any insight with setting up my SR6011 with our theater room and the two rows of seating with the back row being 12” higher.
First off, don't place the mic on the arm rests , rather instead, either use the included cardboard "rocketship" mic stand or better yet a mic boom stand as noted in the Audyssey sticky thread.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...d-part-ii.html

If you are the one most concerned about audio quality, then the best place to focus on all of the mic positions is where you alone sit, otherwise, the best all around place is likely to be in the middle of both rows, just behind the first row.
post #4508 of 5016 Old 08-06-2018, 05:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Quote:
First off, don't place the mic on the arm rests [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG], rather instead, either use the included cardboard "rocketship" mic stand or better yet a mic boom stand as noted in the Audyssey sticky thread.

If you are the one most concerned about audio quality, then the best place to focus on all of the mic positions is where you alone sit, otherwise, the best all around place is likely to be in the middle of both rows, just behind the first row.
Sorry I didn’t mention I used a tripod and didn’t set the mic directly on the seating and tried to keep the mic at the same ear height throughout the calibration. The mic had to be higher by a few inches due to it being right up on the headrests. Having the riser did cause the height all around different for Audyssey though!
So start with the middle on the 6” riser step which is halfway between both rows and then what, go to the first row and then the back? Also do what I was doing was okay then, by going dead center and the going to left and right? Then what, go to front row and then back for last two or??

post #4509 of 5016 Old 08-06-2018, 05:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
First off, don't place the mic on the arm rests [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/eek.gif[/IMG], rather instead, either use the included cardboard "rocketship" mic stand or better yet a mic boom stand as noted in the Audyssey sticky thread.

Sorry I didn’t mention I used a tripod and didn’t set the mic directly on the seating and tried to keep the mic at the same ear height throughout the calibration. The mic had to be higher by a few inches due to it being right up on the headrests. Having the riser did cause the height all around different for Audyssey though!
So start with the middle on the 6” riser step which is halfway between both rows and then what, go to the first row and then the back? Also do what I was doing was okay then, by going dead center and the going to left and right? Then what, go to front row and then back for last two or??
I also forgot to mention I downloaded the Audyssey App on iPhone. Wish I could trust myself after doing the calibration to use that to fine tune the SR6011

post #4510 of 5016 Old 08-07-2018, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Most owners will only want to focus on where they sit (ie. the main listening position).
post #4511 of 5016 Old 08-07-2018, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Most owners will only want to focus on where they sit (ie. the main listening position).
Well, this is a small home theater and there isn’t one sweet spot or should I say MLP so that’s why the conundrum. And two Audyssey techs gave me different suggestions so there’s that!
I wish I knew more especially to use the Audyssey app that does more than just the one within the component. I guess it’s just going to be experimential through the near future.

post #4512 of 5016 Old 08-07-2018, 06:09 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Marantz SR 6011 suddenly shows no video.
I mean I can't get any pass-through or even on screen setup. I thought it was the cable but I tried it in other sources directly to the TV and that works fine.

Also tried Zone 2 which I never use and that seems to work.
Did a hard reset but I can't even get into the setup menu on Zone 2 now.

Is it dead?
post #4513 of 5016 Old 08-07-2018, 06:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Well, this is a small home theater and there isn’t one sweet spot or should I say MLP so that’s why the conundrum. And two Audyssey techs gave me different suggestions so there’s that!
I wish I knew more especially to use the Audyssey app that does more than just the one within the component. I guess it’s just going to be experimential through the near future.
I have almost the exact same situation as you do. I have a 12" riser and mostly sit in the raised back row. I tried doing a calibration with Audyssey by moving the mic all over the two rows and it created a whole bunch of peaks and valleys in the REW FR graph. I did a second calibration where I did all 8 mic positions around the main seat on the raised platform. This produced a much better FR graph and sounded "smoother" to me. I also played with the levels a small bit: increased the center by 1.5dB and decreased the surrounds (side and rear) and rear overheads by 1.5dB. This has created a really good sense of balance between the two rows.

I'd really recommend doing the Audyssey pattern at your main listening position and immediately around it, not swinging too far to get all the seats. This tighter cluster provided a better listening experience across all the seats, even if it seems counter-intuitive.

Tim S.

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #4514 of 5016 Old 08-07-2018, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post
I mean I can't get any pass-through or even on screen setup. I thought it was the cable but I tried it in other sources directly to the TV and that works fine.

Is it dead?
I been searching but have not found anyone else with similar issue. I know in the older models there was an option for HDMI diagnostic test. Is there anything in this version?
Really need to get this going again if possible. But I guess it will be out for repair. Should still be under warranty though, just rather avoid the time with out it working.
post #4515 of 5016 Old 08-07-2018, 09:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredxr2d2 View Post
I have almost the exact same situation as you do. I have a 12" riser and mostly sit in the raised back row. I tried doing a calibration with Audyssey by moving the mic all over the two rows and it created a whole bunch of peaks and valleys in the REW FR graph. I did a second calibration where I did all 8 mic positions around the main seat on the raised platform. This produced a much better FR graph and sounded "smoother" to me. I also played with the levels a small bit: increased the center by 1.5dB and decreased the surrounds (side and rear) and rear overheads by 1.5dB. This has created a really good sense of balance between the two rows.

I'd really recommend doing the Audyssey pattern at your main listening position and immediately around it, not swinging too far to get all the seats. This tighter cluster provided a better listening experience across all the seats, even if it seems counter-intuitive.
The problem is I don’t know where I’ll be sitting the most since our room is new. What’s funny is I get different answers with Audyssey themselves. So I can go the 2’ between each placement wherever I decide the MLP will be? The first one is the most important I know.
One problem I have is the tripod I use has a long center and if I keep the mic at dead center than it’s on the arm rests and the center rod won’t let me go to ear height...I have to raise it a good 4” or so to clear the backrest. Can I place it on the seat as long as it’s a certain distance from the back rests? I’ll try to include a pic of room... I also have that Audyssey app that cost 20.00 and wish I could use that with knowledge...lol
I think I uploaded the picture as attachment
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A0072B91-F0F1-4A04-A63E-1D67DE766725.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	2438632  

Last edited by StuBerger; 08-07-2018 at 09:15 AM.
post #4516 of 5016 Old 08-07-2018, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 807recordings View Post

Is it dead?
As is often discussed here, just because an HDMI cable works from the source directly to the TV does not mean it will necessarily work when the source is connected to the AVR. Replace the HDMI cables.
post #4517 of 5016 Old 08-07-2018, 10:10 AM

Changed the cables also

Quote:
As is often discussed here, just because an HDMI cable works from the source directly to the TV does not mean it will necessarily work when the source is connected to the AVR. Replace the HDMI cables.
But it has been working with this exact cable for weeks so this is the strange part. Will pull it out of the rack and try another cable though as another test.

With changed cables still the same issue. Totally dead on video through main HDMI.
Oh well that is that I guess.

thx
shamus

Last edited by 807recordings; 08-07-2018 at 10:39 AM.
post #4518 of 5016 Old 08-07-2018, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The problem is I don’t know where I’ll be sitting the most since our room is new. What’s funny is I get different answers with Audyssey themselves. So I can go the 2’ between each placement wherever I decide the MLP will be? The first one is the most important I know.
One problem I have is the tripod I use has a long center and if I keep the mic at dead center than it’s on the arm rests and the center rod won’t let me go to ear height...I have to raise it a good 4” or so to clear the backrest. Can I place it on the seat as long as it’s a certain distance from the back rests? I’ll try to include a pic of room... I also have that Audyssey app that cost 20.00 and wish I could use that with knowledge...lol
I think I uploaded the picture as attachment
I would actually keep it less than 2' in between measurements, maybe between 18"-24." I usually sit in my normal seat and bring the mic to where my ears are and start the measurement from there. As you don't have a normal seat, I'm not sure what advice I can give other than try running Audyssey in the front row and listen and then try the back row and listen and decide on what sounds best. That's a lot of work, I know, so you can definitely take shortcuts if you need to just sit back and enjoy. Especially if you don't have REW to check the measurements afterward, then I would just do a couple different runs of Audyssey and see what sounds best to you.

Tim S.

post #4519 of 5016 Old 08-09-2018, 05:08 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 169
So, not sure if this is the best place to post it, but as of yet, I am not quite sure what the exact cause of the issue is. I have a SR-5011 and the issue is my cable TV is not auto turning my subwoofer on unless the volume is at a high level. This just started happening in the last day or two so I am not sure if it may be my cable tv signal. So I generally have the volume of cable TV set at 45ish ( I have dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume off) and this was good enough to kick the subwoofer on. Now I have to turn it up to at least 58 to get it to auto turn on.....tried it on different stations to make sure it just wasn't that channel. My blue ray player volume is set around 35-40 movie dependent and my tv built in apps around 42 and both those were auto turning the sub on.

My setup is comcast/xfinity cable box connected HDMI to the cable input on the SR-5011, then video pass through up to the TV. TV apps are connected by optical and the blue ray player HDMI to TV (video) and HDMI to receiver for audio. I have all my speakers set to small with crossovers at 80, and again, no issues until a day or two ago. I haven't changed out the cable yet from the comcast box, but I did a system refresh on it, and made sure my audio output was set to Dolby 5.1. The Marantz app is showing there is sub signal, and when I turn dynamic volume on light, the sub auto turns on at volume of 30.

I guess to make this long post come to an end.....has anyone had similar issues? And as a sanity check to make sure I am not doing anything wrong....it sounds like my sub and receiver are working properly, its just something with the output of the cable box, or maybe the cable. Does that sound right? I will try a cable swap and input to the receiver swap later to rule those out, I just was looking for some insight and tips or similar experiences. Thanks!!
vn800art likes this.
post #4520 of 5016 Old 08-09-2018, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenBF View Post
So, not sure if this is the best place to post it, but as of yet, I am not quite sure what the exact cause of the issue is. I have a SR-5011 and the issue is my cable TV is not auto turning my subwoofer on unless the volume is at a high level. This just started happening in the last day or two so I am not sure if it may be my cable tv signal. So I generally have the volume of cable TV set at 45ish ( I have dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume off) and this was good enough to kick the subwoofer on. Now I have to turn it up to at least 58 to get it to auto turn on.....tried it on different stations to make sure it just wasn't that channel. My blue ray player volume is set around 35-40 movie dependent and my tv built in apps around 42 and both those were auto turning the sub on.

My setup is comcast/xfinity cable box connected HDMI to the cable input on the SR-5011, then video pass through up to the TV. TV apps are connected by optical and the blue ray player HDMI to TV (video) and HDMI to receiver for audio. I have all my speakers set to small with crossovers at 80, and again, no issues until a day or two ago. I haven't changed out the cable yet from the comcast box, but I did a system refresh on it, and made sure my audio output was set to Dolby 5.1. The Marantz app is showing there is sub signal, and when I turn dynamic volume on light, the sub auto turns on at volume of 30.

I guess to make this long post come to an end.....has anyone had similar issues? And as a sanity check to make sure I am not doing anything wrong....it sounds like my sub and receiver are working properly, its just something with the output of the cable box, or maybe the cable. Does that sound right? I will try a cable swap and input to the receiver swap later to rule those out, I just was looking for some insight and tips or similar experiences. Thanks!!
After completing Audyssey, when using an AUTO setting on the sub, the Subwoofer Level setting on the AVR in Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones - Subwoofer should be very near 0dB to ensure the sub receives a strong enough signal to power on, with or without making any changes yourself (eg. in most cases when Audyssey is run correctly (ie. sub gain knob set to about 10 o'clock), the sub will be set to about -6dB and many prefer a little more boom so then raise the volume about +5dB such that it would be -1dB).
vn800art and RavenBF like this.
post #4521 of 5016 Old 08-09-2018, 08:01 AM

Quote:
After completing Audyssey, when using an AUTO setting on the sub, the Subwoofer Level setting on the AVR in Manual Setup - Levels - Test Tones - Subwoofer should be very near 0dB to ensure the sub receives a strong enough signal to power on, with or without making any changes yourself (eg. in most cases when Audyssey is run correctly (ie. sub gain knob set to about 10 o'clock), the sub will be set to about -6dB and many prefer a little more boom so then raise the volume about +5dB such that it would be -1dB).
Thanks, I will look at what my settings are in the menu again when I get home today. I know my gain knob is in the 12 o'clock position and I am pretty sure the slider was set at 0dB. I am not sure why its just a problem with the cable box, and just in the last couple of days, internal apps and blue ray player have no issue. I haven't changed anything in my receiver so hopefully it's just something with whatever signal is being generated by the cable box.
post #4522 of 5016 Old 08-09-2018, 10:23 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Thanks, I will look at what my settings are in the menu again when I get home today. I know my gain knob is in the 12 o'clock position and I am pretty sure the slider was set at 0dB. I am not sure why its just a problem with the cable box, and just in the last couple of days, internal apps and blue ray player have no issue. I haven't changed anything in my receiver so hopefully it's just something with whatever signal is being generated by the cable box.
Have you tried different cable channels to see if they act differently?

Bear in mind that different cable TV channels have different types of soundtracks. Some are stereo (2.0) and some are 5.1 surround sound. A 2.0 signal uses your subwoofer only if your front speakers are configured as Small or you have "LFE+MAINS" enabled. Since a 5.1 soundtrack includes a dedicated LFE (subwoofer) channel, it could be that the .1 (LFE) signal is extremely low on one or more channels.

Also, double check all of the settings while you're watching/listening to a cable TV channel which has the problem. A surprising number of settings have to be configured "per input". Audyssey settings, for example, can be different for different inputs.
RavenBF likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #4523 of 5016 Old 08-09-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Have you tried different cable channels to see if they act differently?

Bear in mind that different cable TV channels have different types of soundtracks. Some are stereo (2.0) and some are 5.1 surround sound. A 2.0 signal uses your subwoofer only if your front speakers are configured as Small or you have "LFE+MAINS" enabled. Since a 5.1 soundtrack includes a dedicated LFE (subwoofer) channel, it could be that the .1 (LFE) signal is extremely low on one or more channels.

Also, double check all of the settings while you're watching/listening to a cable TV channel which has the problem. A surprising number of settings have to be configured "per input". Audyssey settings, for example, can be different for different inputs.
Thanks!!! Yes, happens on multiple channels, fronts are configured as small, sub is set to LFE and the frustrating part is everything was working fine a couple of days ago....this past weekend. Now, I have to turn the volume way up. I hadn't checked the settings per individual input yet, but the more I am reading on other sites, the more I am thinking its the cable box....probably the .1 signal is really low like you mentioned. It seems to be a huge problem over on the xfinity site, so my box may have had a firmware update recently that jacked it up. I will check later when I get home, so thank you for all the advice and tips, but this may be something I can't fix at the moment, and may just have to turn the subwoofer on manually or turn the volume up till it kicks on then bring it back down.
post #4524 of 5016 Old 08-09-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks!!! Yes, happens on multiple channels, fronts are configured as small, sub is set to LFE and the frustrating part is everything was working fine a couple of days ago....this past weekend. Now, I have to turn the volume way up. I hadn't checked the settings per individual input yet, but the more I am reading on other sites, the more I am thinking its the cable box....probably the .1 signal is really low like you mentioned. It seems to be a huge problem over on the xfinity site, so my box may have had a firmware update recently that jacked it up. I will check later when I get home, so thank you for all the advice and tips, but this may be something I can't fix at the moment, and may just have to turn the subwoofer on manually or turn the volume up till it kicks on then bring it back down.
Best of luck!

It can be very annoying when a cable service updates the firmware in the STB without any warning. DirecTV, for example, used to be (maybe still is) doing firmware updates which borked the interaction between their HDMI outputs and A/V receivers while continuing to work with TVs. People would scream and eventually they'd fix it again.
RavenBF likes this.

Selden

post #4525 of 5016 Old 08-09-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Best of luck!

It can be very annoying when a cable service updates the firmware in the STB without any warning. DirecTV, for example, used to be (maybe still is) doing firmware updates which borked the interaction between their HDMI outputs and A/V receivers while continuing to work with TVs. People would scream and eventually they'd fix it again.
Quote:
So after getting home found 2 issues....one was caused by the other. So yes, my cable box did get a firmware update in the past couple of days which dropped the LFE signal strength. The second issue hadn't been a problem until now, but when I went in and looked at the Audyssey levels my subwoofer was set to -12dB.....so I raised it to -6dB and sure enough, the sub now auto kicks on with cable. I will probably run the Audyssey again this weekend to see what it comes up with, and readjust it if it comes back and a -12dB again. Thanks for all the advice. It may not seem like a big deal but it was driving me crazy, especially when something all of a sudden stops working....I was worried either my receiver crapped out or my sub. Again, thanks!!!
post #4526 of 5016 Old 08-09-2018, 01:05 PM

Quote:
So after getting home found 2 issues....one was caused by the other. So yes, my cable box did get a firmware update in the past couple of days which dropped the LFE signal strength. The second issue hadn't been a problem until now, but when I went in and looked at the Audyssey levels my subwoofer was set to -12dB.....so I raised it to -6dB and sure enough, the sub now auto kicks on with cable. I will probably run the Audyssey again this weekend to see what it comes up with, and readjust it if it comes back and a -12dB again. Thanks for all the advice. It may not seem like a big deal but it was driving me crazy, especially when something all of a sudden stops working....I was worried either my receiver crapped out or my sub. Again, thanks!!!
I'm not sure what you mean by "readjust", but the recommended way to handle the subwoofer's trim level being pegged at -12dB is to lower the gain control knob on the subwoofer itself (typically to 9 o'clock, sometimes even lower) and to then re-run Audyssey (painful though that is). Any resulting value of -11dB or higher (closer to 0) is considered OK, but -6 dB is usually considered "optimal". Then turn it up manually "to taste", usually by 5 dB or so.

If you haven't already, please take the time to look through the Audyssey 101/FAQ. It'll help you to get a good calibration. The instructions in the equipment's owner's manual are pathetically inadequate.
RavenBF likes this.

Selden

post #4527 of 5016 Old 08-09-2018, 01:22 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean by "readjust", but the recommended way to handle the subwoofer's trim level being pegged at -12dB is to lower the gain control knob on the subwoofer itself (typically to 9 o'clock, sometimes even lower) and to then re-run Audyssey (painful though that is). Any resulting value of -11dB or higher (closer to 0) is considered OK, but -6 dB is usually considered "optimal". Then turn it up manually "to taste", usually by 5 dB or so.

If you haven't already, please take the time to look through the Audyssey 101/FAQ. It'll help you to get a good calibration. The instructions in the equipment's owner's manual are pathetically inadequate.
Ah ok, yeah I have my gain at 12 o'clock...read somewhere to use that as it is the midpoint on the gain knob. I meant by readjust, was if I ran Audyssey and it came back again at -12dB to go in again and change it to -6dB. But now that I read your link, I totally understand putting the gain at 9-10 o'clock and run Audyssey that way. Thanks.
post #4528 of 5016 Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 327
*Official* Marantz 2016 NR-1607, SR-5011/6011/7011 owner's thread

My 7011 just received a firmware upgrade. Does anyone knows what features or fixes it contains?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
post #4529 of 5016 Old 08-10-2018, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMWhizzle View Post
My 7011 just received a firmware upgrade. Does anyone knows what features or fixes it contains?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

Airplay 2!

https://www.macrumors.com/2018/08/09...lay-2-support/

So I was awoken last night at 3 AM to my outdoor (zone 2) speakers blasting BBC internet radio from my Marantz. I've never listened to internet radio on the Marantz before. I have no idea how this happened, it's the first time it's ever just come on (especially zone 2) and started playing. I wonder if the update made it go haywire.
post #4530 of 5016 Old 08-10-2018, 06:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked: 327
Wow, indeed my 7011 is now visible on the Home app on my iPhones and iPads. What is the advantage of this implementation? What can the Marantz now do compared to the older firmware?

Klipsch Reference Premiere: 4 x RP-280's, 1 x RP 450C and dual R-115W's
Marantz 7011 AVR
LG OLED B6
Apple TV 4K
PlayStation Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
analog or toslink headphones sr6011 , audio outputs , marantz receiver ethernet playback noise , NR-1607

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page