*Official* Marantz 2016 NR-1607, SR-5011/6011/7011 owner's thread - Page 56 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 7308Likes

post #1651 of 4973 Old 04-06-2017, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Any other SR7011 owners having issues passing 4k video using either the Oppo 203 or PS4 Pro when connected to the rear HDMI inputs?
I have the AV7703 and the PS4 Pro has given me no end of grief with I tried to use 4k 4:4:4 without success. The front port, despite the labeling, appears to only be HDMI 1.4 despite Marantz' best labeling efforts. The PS4 Pro only has a stable connection for me when I tell it to limit video to YCR420 setting in the PS4 Pro video output setting.

The Xbox One S is the only player that seems to work correctly for me at 4k + HDR.

For the record, I would disable the OSD on any 4K (or even 1080p) source that uses full chroma subsampling, like PS4 Pro HDR. Several of us have proven that Denon/Marantz cannot properly manage subsampling at full 4:4:4 chroma without cutting off the output to 4:2:0. This applies to both 4k and 1080p sources. Instead, just disable the OSD (video conversion off) for those sources.
Simon R. likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1652 of 4973 Old 04-06-2017, 01:23 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IBJamon View Post
I have the AV7703 and the PS4 Pro has given me no end of grief with I tried to use 4k 4:4:4 without success. The front port, despite the labeling, appears to only be HDMI 1.4 despite Marantz' best labeling efforts. The PS4 Pro only has a stable connection for me when I tell it to limit video to YCR420 setting in the PS4 Pro video output setting.
Do you also have the PSVR hooked up?
post #1653 of 4973 Old 04-06-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oliver View Post
Do you also have the PSVR hooked up?
When you have the PSVR hooked up (yes, I have one) the HDMI is automatically cut down to 1.4, so the connection is stable, but no 4k HDR. With a direct connection bypassing the conversion box, you can get both, in theory. I could not get a stable connection no matter what I tried as long as I left RGB as the color mode setting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1654 of 4973 Old 04-06-2017, 01:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
When you have the PSVR hooked up (yes, I have one) the HDMI is automatically cut down to 1.4, so the connection is stable, but no 4k HDR. With a direct connection bypassing the conversion box, you can get both, in theory. I could not get a stable connection no matter what I tried as long as I left RGB as the color mode setting.
Well the PSVR box DOES do 4k just not HDR. Its also only does HDCP 1.4.

Also, when my PS4 Pro is Hooked up to my Sony TV by any means I cannot get RGB even though I should be able to. It could be a bug with the PS4 or the TV or both.
post #1655 of 4973 Old 04-06-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Well the PSVR box DOES do 4k just not HDR. Its also only does HDCP 1.4.

Also, when my PS4 Pro is Hooked up to my Sony TV by any means I cannot get RGB even though I should be able to. It could be a bug with the PS4 or the TV or both.
Same experience, sorry I wasn't more clear. As you said, 4k but no HDR, and also no HDCP 2.2, only 1.4.

Ironic that your Sony TV has the same issue. I think it is more likely a Marantz/PS4 Pro compatibility issue though, as it appeared to work properly hooked up directly to my JVC projector (though of course it is never going to stay that way).
post #1656 of 4973 Old 04-06-2017, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Same experience, sorry I wasn't more clear. As you said, 4k but no HDR, and also no HDCP 2.2, only 1.4.

Ironic that your Sony TV has the same issue. I think it is more likely a Marantz/PS4 Pro compatibility issue though, as it appeared to work properly hooked up directly to my JVC projector (though of course it is never going to stay that way).
Do you have an HDR TV? if not I wouldn't worry about it. Same with HDCP 2.2. which is used mostly for 4k BR which the PS4Pro doesn't handle anyway.
post #1657 of 4973 Old 04-06-2017, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Do you have an HDR TV? if not I wouldn't worry about it. Same with HDCP 2.2. which is used mostly for 4k BR which the PS4Pro doesn't handle anyway.
I do have an HDR projector (JVC RS420) and I have more or less settled that my PS4 Pro will probably not be gaming in HDR anytime soon.

At least the Xbone S works.
post #1658 of 4973 Old 04-06-2017, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
I do have an HDR projector (JVC RS420) and I have more or less settled that my PS4 Pro will probably not be gaming in HDR anytime soon.

At least the Xbone S works.
Yea, it would seem that maybe its a Marantz/Sony issue - I have the 930d, which is def. 4K HDR. I can only get the same as you - the YCR, not RGB. Not sure that it matters, but its very odd. The Oppo issue is the same thing, but as there's not other 4K option, I just use the front port...I have thought about switching to the 7703 in hopes that it would eliminate the issue...but seems they might still persist.

Also - not sure its worth it to buy a 7703 and unpack and hook up, just to test. If it doesn't work, then I would likely ship it back. If it does work, I will have to sell my 7011. It all sounds like a lot of work! LOL I was hoping that maybe there's just something I don't understand, but its baffling that ONLY the front port works properly. Oh, and my Xbox S seems to work fine, connected to the rear. There's one setting (12 bit) where I lost the video and only had audio, but not sure displays can even do that now, so I'm not as concerned.
post #1659 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 03:13 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Signed up here just to post this: I just got a 7011 and am having similar problems. Most troubling is that the HDMI signal to my TV (an LG 75UH8500) drops out when upconverting analog video such as VHS and laserdisc. I have a LOT of old material on obsolete formats and analog upscaling is essential in any receiver I buy, unless someone can make the equivalent in a separate box. What happens is if playing a tape where there is a significant dropout, or sometimes on the laserdisc player if it is starting up a disc (which usually causes the picture to 'roll' for a split second) the receiver will stop outputting a signal and my TV will show its "No Signal" display. The only way to get the picture back when this happens is to switch the receiver to another input and then back again, and that's just not acceptable considering what this receiver costs. I was using a Pioneer before this and it NEVER had that problem- the worst that would happen is the picture would go black for a second and then return on its own.

Its other problem, which I already called Marantz about and they advised to exchange the receiver as "that shouldn't be happening", is my Lenovo laptop computer will not connect to the receiver's front input. It has the same effect on my TV as the analog glitch- it triggers the TV's "No Signal" display. Looking at the computer's screen it can't see that it's connected to anything, and the receiver won't even get any sound from the computer with the TV hooked to it or not. Another problem I found was my Toshiba HD-DVD player would ONLY work through the front input and none of the rears, but when I disabled Deep Color on the TV (which I can't really see any effect of) it then worked through those inputs. That did not solve the other problems however.

I'm about to pack up the receiver and send it back this morning for an exchange, but I just hope these problems aren't inherent in the model itself. I chose this one mainly because it's the only brand that still has a set of multi-channel analog inputs, which I also need for some older equipment. I would buy another Pioneer receiver but their new ones don't have those anymore.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this; from some of the other comments here it sounds like there's some compatibility problems between some equipment and TVs that Marantz needs to work out one way or another. I have an Oppo UDP-203 and have had NO problems with that, thankfully, but I need all my old stuff to work with it too. Does anyone else here use this receiver's analog upscaling?
post #1660 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 08:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4808 Post(s)
Liked: 2848
Quote:
Originally Posted by King Vidiot View Post
I chose this one mainly because it's the only brand that still has a set of multi-channel analog inputs, which I also need for some older equipment.
The Denon AVR X7200WA also has multichannel analog inputs, but it costs about twice as much as the SR7011 and is expected to be replaced late this fall.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #1661 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Vidiot View Post
Signed up here just to post this: I just got a 7011 and am having similar problems. Most troubling is that the HDMI signal to my TV (an LG 75UH8500) drops out when upconverting analog video such as VHS and laserdisc. I have a LOT of old material on obsolete formats and analog upscaling is essential in any receiver I buy, unless someone can make the equivalent in a separate box. What happens is if playing a tape where there is a significant dropout, or sometimes on the laserdisc player if it is starting up a disc (which usually causes the picture to 'roll' for a split second) the receiver will stop outputting a signal and my TV will show its "No Signal" display. The only way to get the picture back when this happens is to switch the receiver to another input and then back again, and that's just not acceptable considering what this receiver costs. I was using a Pioneer before this and it NEVER had that problem- the worst that would happen is the picture would go black for a second and then return on its own.

Its other problem, which I already called Marantz about and they advised to exchange the receiver as "that shouldn't be happening", is my Lenovo laptop computer will not connect to the receiver's front input. It has the same effect on my TV as the analog glitch- it triggers the TV's "No Signal" display. Looking at the computer's screen it can't see that it's connected to anything, and the receiver won't even get any sound from the computer with the TV hooked to it or not. Another problem I found was my Toshiba HD-DVD player would ONLY work through the front input and none of the rears, but when I disabled Deep Color on the TV (which I can't really see any effect of) it then worked through those inputs. That did not solve the other problems however.

I'm about to pack up the receiver and send it back this morning for an exchange, but I just hope these problems aren't inherent in the model itself. I chose this one mainly because it's the only brand that still has a set of multi-channel analog inputs, which I also need for some older equipment. I would buy another Pioneer receiver but their new ones don't have those anymore.

Would appreciate any thoughts on this; from some of the other comments here it sounds like there's some compatibility problems between some equipment and TVs that Marantz needs to work out one way or another. I have an Oppo UDP-203 and have had NO problems with that, thankfully, but I need all my old stuff to work with it too. Does anyone else here use this receiver's analog upscaling?
Sounds like very similar issues...but I'm curious - your Oppo 203 works through rear ports? Mine always drops video. Maybe I'll try it again today and see what happens.

I know we are using different TV models, but it still doesn't add up that only front port works on mine.

Regardless, Marantz needs to fix this - for this price point, I expect it to be hiccup free.
post #1662 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos4Lyfe View Post
Sounds like very similar issues...but I'm curious - your Oppo 203 works through rear ports? Mine always drops video. Maybe I'll try it again today and see what happens.

I know we are using different TV models, but it still doesn't add up that only front port works on mine.

Regardless, Marantz needs to fix this - for this price point, I expect it to be hiccup free.
I hope you've reported the problem to them. If you don't tell them, they won't know about it.

Selden

post #1663 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 35
6011 owners I have a question. I am doing a 7.2.4 system. My plan is using an external 3 channel amp for the LCR and then letting the internal amps in the 6011 power the four surround and four ATMOS. But now a sales person told me the front LCR amps in the 6011 are not re-assingable? Is this correct? I have reviewed the Marantz User manual and am total confused now?

I already purchased a 200watt x 3 amp…I hope I don’t need to sell it now and buy something totally different?
post #1664 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 11:23 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:

The Xbox One S is the only player that seems to work correctly for me at 4k + HDR.

For the record, I would disable the OSD on any 4K (or even 1080p) source that uses full chroma subsampling, like PS4 Pro HDR. Several of us have proven that Denon/Marantz cannot properly manage subsampling at full 4:4:4 chroma without cutting off the output to 4:2:0. This applies to both 4k and 1080p sources. Instead, just disable the OSD (video conversion off) for those sources.
IT BOGGLES MY MIND THAT THESE COMPANIES AREN'T COMPATIBLE ON THE SAME SPEC. It's as if nobody said, "Hey it works on paper, but maybe we should make one and try it out" Perhaps that's why the XBox works, since they ran a beta program on it.

Last edited by Roger Wise; 04-07-2017 at 11:38 AM.
post #1665 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 11:24 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
I hope you've reported the problem to them. If you don't tell them, they won't know about it.
Their phone tech support people seem reasonably knowledgeable (they're in the US, speak English and actually know a bit about the product), but they still said this was an odd problem and told me to send it back. If the replacement has the same problems then I'll have to let them know I'll be exchanging it for another brand if they can't fix it. It seems like there might be compatibility problems between different TVs. I mainly just want my analog video to not require switching back and forth between inputs to resolve dropouts.
post #1666 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post
6011 owners I have a question. I am doing a 7.2.4 system. My plan is using an external 3 channel amp for the LCR and then letting the internal amps in the 6011 power the four surround and four ATMOS. But now a sales person told me the front LCR amps in the 6011 are not re-assingable? Is this correct? I have reviewed the Marantz User manual and am total confused now?

I already purchased a 200watt x 3 amp…I hope I don’t need to sell it now and buy something totally different?
You're fine with what you've done. I have all the base layer (7 channels) powered separately and am letting the 6011 power the 4 heights. I believe it is a setting in the Power Amp Assign that is something like "external amps: front."

jdsmoothie will have the exact answer for you, I'm sure. I'll take a minute and look it up.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #1667 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 11:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
You can use an external amp for every speaker in your setup if you so chose to do so; however, you can also externally amp the FL/FR speakers to expand the AVR from 9CH --> 11CH.

Assign Mode: 11.1
Floor
- Layout
: 5ch & SB
Height
– Height Sp
: 4ch
- Layout: Top Front + Top Rear (or whatever two settings you are using)
- Pre-out: Front
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horta View Post

See above for jdsmoothie's answer on correct amp assignments.

Tim S.
Former 35mm and Digital Projectionist @ Regal Cinemas (circa 2012)

Currently watching on: JVC X790, 106" 0.8 Gain Screen, FireTV Stick 4K, PS4, Oppo 203, w/Marantz SR6011, 2 Outlaw M2200, Outlaw Model 5000, SVS Subs, Def Tech Speakers
post #1668 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Wise View Post
When you say that the Xbox One S works correctly I assume you mean through the AVR. Implication is the AVR works... no?
Yes, this combination works perfectly. I did disable the OSD via turning off video conversion though.

My projector detected HDR mode properly when I set the Xbone to PC RGB and 10 bit color.
post #1669 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
Yep, reported it multiple times and they don't have a fix - at first, we thought it was faulty motherboard so we swapped to a different one. Same issue. I spoke w/ people at Denon and they reported the same issue and they were working on a fix...but nobody has one yet.
post #1670 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 04:48 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a question for owners of the 2016 line of AVRs. I currently have the slim NR1402 and also the SR7008 (in a different room). My experience is the following:

NR1402 = barely warm to the touch - I woudn't know it was powered on except for the display.

SR7008 = Yikes! Very hot - I could probably fry an egg on top of this thing.

I'm looking to replace my NR1402 with the NR1607. Can anyone offer their thoughts on the heat generated by the slim NR1607 as compared to the larger units (SR6011 or SR7011)? Thanks in advance.

Vizio P65-E1 | Oppo UDP-203 | Marantz AV7705 | Emotiva A-5175 + A-700
Axiom Audio M5HP (x6), VP160 Mini HP, M3 In-Ceiling (x4), EP500 (x2)
Panamax M5400-PM | BJC Cables
post #1671 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 07:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signals View Post
I have a question for owners of the 2016 line of AVRs. I currently have the slim NR1402 and also the SR7008 (in a different room). My experience is the following:

NR1402 = barely warm to the touch - I woudn't know it was powered on except for the display.

SR7008 = Yikes! Very hot - I could probably fry an egg on top of this thing.

I'm looking to replace my NR1402 with the NR1607. Can anyone offer their thoughts on the heat generated by the slim NR1607 as compared to the larger units (SR6011 or SR7011)? Thanks in advance.
Well, the NR1607 has a 250W power supply. The SR6011 has a 680W PSU, and the 7011 has a 710W PSU.

Under peak load, the SR models will produce almost three times as much heat as the slimline NR models. Of course, most people don't listen anywhere near peak volume, so typical power draw and heat output would be closer together.

Primary (2.1): Thiel CS 1.2 / Velodyne F1000 sub / Adcom GFA-555 Mk2 / Rotel 970BX / Sony CDP-CA9 ES
Secondary (5.1): Paradigm Mini-Monitor v.3 / CC270 v.3 center / ADP-170 v.2 surrounds /
SVS SB1000 sub / Marantz SR-6010 / AppleTV + Win7 PC / BenQ BL3200PT
post #1672 of 4973 Old 04-07-2017, 11:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1622 Post(s)
Liked: 384
Premium receiver.

I would like to see a "premium" receiver in the near furture.
A receiver with the build quality like the PM11S3 and the same color (gold).
Also a flip down door that when its closed it will cover all exept the big display
I would be willing to pay more for this, say in the same range as the X7200W.........

(i did a flip down door in the past that showed the display when clossed, but its not an easy job to do this on the current receiver build, see pics)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2073761   Click image for larger version

Name:	8.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	2073769  
Simon R. likes this.
post #1673 of 4973 Old 04-08-2017, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Depending on where you are located, a Marantz PM 11s3 will cost around twice that of a Denon 7200. FYI
The sales of top / flagship models probably account for a small percentage of that of the mid range or budget models. Forums like this are hardly representative of the average Joe out there.
Double the costs, and sales will be as common as hen's teeth.
It will be interesting to see the sales numbers of the Anthem AVM 60 and higher models, compared to their lower AVRs for example.
post #1674 of 4973 Old 04-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cswiger View Post
Well, the NR1607 has a 250W power supply. The SR6011 has a 680W PSU, and the 7011 has a 710W PSU.

Under peak load, the SR models will produce almost three times as much heat as the slimline NR models. Of course, most people don't listen anywhere near peak volume, so typical power draw and heat output would be closer together.
I have the 6011. I only have only ONE speaker connected (centre) that the 6011 actually powers. Every other speaker is hooked up to the pre-outs and have their own power supply. The 6011 still gets VERY VERY hot even at moderate volumes even compared to my previous 5009.
post #1675 of 4973 Old 04-08-2017, 11:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1698 Post(s)
Liked: 893
Quote:
I have the 6011. I only have only ONE speaker connected (centre) that the 6011 actually powers. Every other speaker is hooked up to the pre-outs and have their own power supply. The 6011 still gets VERY VERY hot even at moderate volumes even compared to my previous 5009.
Most of the heat generated in the modern AVR comes from the HDMI board, rather than the power supply. Most AVRs these days have temperature monitoring systems that throttle the current supply, so as to avoid burning out the circuits. This means they will give anywhere from 30-70W when every channel is driven, but very few of them actually give their rated power if all channels are driven equally hard.
Maybe that new Rotel RAP 1592 might, but most won't.
post #1676 of 4973 Old 04-08-2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
If you haven't already, make sure that ECO mode is enabled, either On or Auto. That'll reduce the power supply voltage applied to the amplifier circuits and often can significantly reduce the temperature. See page 238 in the 6011's owner's manual, which can be downloaded from http://manuals.marantz.com/sr6011/na/en

Selden

post #1677 of 4973 Old 04-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If you haven't already, make sure that ECO mode is enabled, either On or Auto. That'll reduce the power supply voltage applied to the amplifier circuits and often can significantly reduce the temperature. See page 238 in the 6011's owner's manual, which can be downloaded from http://manuals.marantz.com/sr6011/na/en
I've had it set to Auto from day one. If I keep the volume rather low it's cooler but at normal volumes it starts to get toasty. Does the unit have an internal fan? I also added 2 large USB fans to sit on top of it to help.
post #1678 of 4973 Old 04-08-2017, 01:45 PM

Quote:
I've had it set to Auto from day one. If I keep the volume rather low it's cooler but at normal volumes it starts to get toasty. Does the unit have an internal fan? I also added 2 large USB fans to sit on top of it to help.
My understanding is that there is an internal fan, but it only turns on at some absurdly high temperature. Using external USB fans is appropriate.

Selden

post #1679 of 4973 Old 04-08-2017, 01:59 PM

Quote:
This my experience as well with my 7008. Just sitting idle with no speakers attached, the top of the unit is very hot.

post #1680 of 4973 Old 04-08-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petetherock View Post
Most of the heat generated in the modern AVR comes from the HDMI board, rather than the power supply. Most AVRs these days have temperature monitoring systems that throttle the current supply, so as to avoid burning out the circuits. This means they will give anywhere from 30-70W when every channel is driven, but very few of them actually give their rated power if all channels are driven equally hard.
Maybe that new Rotel RAP 1592 might, but most won't.
I agree that most of the heat is generated by the HDMI processor. I was hoping that maybe the slim NR1607 used a different HDMI board and therefore would run cooler.

I have all my gear in a closet. With my 7008 in there, the closet feels like an oven. I have to keep the closet door open (which I don't like to do, the pets will go inside and sleep). In the past, I have used my NR1402 in the closet, and the interior temp remained close to ambient and I could leave the door closed. I'm sure the older NR1402 doesn't have a graphics processor like the larger SR7008 does.

Quote:
My understanding is that there is an internal fan, but it only turns on at some absurdly high temperature. Using external USB fans is appropriate.
I use USB fans as well. They definitely keep the AVR cool, but all the heated air builds up inside my closet, which is my main issue. I was hoping the NR1607 ran cooler to the touch. I'm really trying to avoid cutting any more holes in the walls to vent the closet.

Last edited by Signals; 04-08-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
analog or toslink headphones sr6011 , audio outputs , marantz receiver ethernet playback noise , NR-1607

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page