4 ohm guys, recommend some receivers - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #31 of 32 Old 06-19-2019, 02:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
The JL Audio subs use their own internal amplifiers.

Like I said, don't worry about it. The Marantz input voltage does have the capability to over drive the ATI. But you're likely not going to get there. You're not going to go to 11 on the dial.
I have been thinking of upgrading my processor to a Trinnov altitude16. Would the trinnov’s xlr’s Be more in line with the amps I own. I know the trinnov’s xlr ‘s are truly balanced while the marantz xlr’s Are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 06-20-2019, 08:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I have been thinking of upgrading my processor to a Trinnov altitude16. Would the trinnov’s xlr’s Be more in line with the amps I own. I know the trinnov’s xlr ‘s are truly balanced while the marantz xlr’s Are not.
Well, I don't know. At this point I would have suggested that you go the the Trinnov site and look at the spec's as that is what I would have to do to answer your question. But, I was curious myself as to the answer. Primarily because I know the Altitude 16 is fundamentally a PC based on an Intel i7 CPU vs. a more traditional pre-pro built around DSP chips.

So, I went to the Trinnov site and looked. To my surprise, I could find no published spec with that information. I pushed on and downloaded the user manual and could not find a specific reference to an output voltage value. What I did find on page number 58 of the manual was a cautionary note that stated and I quote: "NOTE: By default, the maximum volume possible with the Altitude16 is +20dB which is extremely loud and likely to overload most consumer power amplifiers." I would assume that would be applicable to the ATI unit with its 1.6v input sensitivity value.

The manual continues to reference the maximum volume level, in numerous places throughout the manual, with additional cautionary verbiage with reference to calibration setup, input sources, etc. The unit does allow you to set a cap on maximum volume. So, I would suggest that you contact Trinnov direct for an answer.

Again, I don't feel like it's of huge importance. You're calibrating to a specific reference level, 75dB or 85dB, to setup its room correction. Outside of people carrying about "amplifier head room" and the ability of their system to playback at a reference level of 105dB, both of which they seldom if ever really use, something around 100-125 watts RMS is typically more that enough power in the average home from my view point. You stated in an earlier post that your speaker sensitivity was 92dB 1W/1M. So with a listening position approximately 12 feet back from the front speakers and a desired listening level of 85dBSPL, you would need approximately 3 watts of amplifier power. If you want 3dB of "head room" it's 6 watts. Roll that back to 75dBSPL, which is probably closer to where most people listen, and the amplifier power required is a fraction of a watt and approximately 1 watt with 3dB of "head room". For full disclosure, if you want the full 105dBSPL THX reference level from the same 92dB speakers and listening distance, it's going to require slightly more than 300 watts and more than 600 watts with 3dB of "head room".

The Trinnov Altitude 16 is a $17,000.00 pre-pro plus $750 for the 3D setup microphone if you're planning a DIY install. Otherwise you'll need to pay for a certified installer. Either way, I would expect Trinnov can answer that specific question for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page