Denon AVR-X2200W and R9 290X HDMI Audio drops out - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-12-2016, 02:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Denon AVR-X2200W and R9 290X HDMI Audio drops out

I've had an issue for a while now, but first now I actually care about it.

I bought my X2200W in January to complement my JS8505. I've been using it mostly for watching movies/TV-series from Netflix and my PC by using Kodi and bitstreaming the sound, which works fine. (Sometimes, usually hours apart, audio drops out when using Kodi, pausing and resuming fixes this).

But now that I want to use my TV for some gaming from my computer, I get audio drop out a bit more frequent (this is of course without bitstreaming). Sometimes it can go as fast as 5 secs, but other times it can go much longer (longest for now has been 15 minutes). Sometimes it's just a quick drop out (more like a stutter).
Audio works fine, until it goes silent/drops out. Windows "Playback Devices" says it is sending sound.
When this happens, I can either change audio format (say from 24bit 48KHz to 44.1kHz), or flip source back and forth on my AVR, then sound will be back. (Changing AVR source is faster as I don't have to restart whatever program I was getting sound from).

I've tried disabling "Enhancements" and exclusive control, doesn't help. I've tried many different audio formats, no difference between them.
My HDMI cable is fairly new, and I had the same issue on the old one.
I've used to different ports on the receiver. All other devices connected to receiver works fine.
Used all AMD drivers released this year, from 16.1 until yesterdays 16.5.2

Does anyone have an idea? Earlier I had a video issue too, after buying the new cable, but I fixed that with a handshake reset.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

No one have any idea how to proceed?
post #3 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 03:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerandir92 View Post
No one have any idea how to proceed?
For the best help post in the official denon x2200 thread here. Are you using one hdmi cable
routing both audio and video into receiver with video then from receiver to 4k tv? If so the
video may be contributing to the audio cutouts. Not sure how to verify this.

I have read that 4k at full blast 60hz with 4:4:4 may cause this. So how are you routing the video and
what are the maximum video settings that computer is outputting. Matrixing (splitting) the video
and bypassing the receiver with video may work best. Are you pushing many channel lossless surround?
If not digital audio might be a suitable option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 View Post
For the best help post in the official denon x2200 thread *** Are you using one hdmi cable
routing both audio and video into receiver with video then from receiver to 4k tv? If so the
video may be contributing to the audio cutouts. Not sure how to verify this.

I have read that 4k at full blast 60hz with 4:4:4 may cause this. So how are you routing the video and
what are the maximum video settings that computer is outputting. Matrixing (splitting) the video
and bypassing the receiver with video may work best. Are you pushing many channel lossless surround?
If not digital audio might be a suitable option.

I've been through that post. It did help me in the past when I needed to do a full HDCP reset after buying a new cable.

I do video and audio through HDMI to the receiver yes, then video to the TV.
My videocard can't to 4K 60hz (or, I can if I buy the DP1.2 to HDMI 2.0 dongle), so I run at 2160p30 YCbCr 4:4:4
When watching videos I'm doing 5.1 lossless surround yes, for games it's just PCM 5.1 I guess.

What it kinda looks like to me now is that the problem is TV <-> AVR connection is full HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, 2160p60 4:4:4. And also dual (I use both the HDMI outs on the AVR). While PC <-> AVR is only HDMI 1.4, HDCP 2.1 (I think), 2160p30 4:4:4 and this causes some issue.
I noticed that switching on and off HDMI UHD Color on my TV would cause a re-handshake, and if I turned it off, I got issue with video also dropping out from time to time. I had this issue before when I bought a new cable, which needed a full HDCP reset.

Any suggestions for matrixing the signal? I'd rather not do it, since the point of an AVR is to have everything connected there so I don't have to bother with TV source (except for switching to the source with game mode on when needed).

(Oh lol, can't even quote posts with URL's when below 5 in post count)
post #5 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You do have a good handle on things however sometimes actually posting there may attract
some attention that a new thread might not. A new thread is better for me. You gamers always
are bleeding edge on pushing video through receivers and the first to find the video limits.

I don't understand when you say hdcp reset. Turning on things upstream is best, but it really
shouldn't matter. Mixing old hdmi with new is a no-no when pushing that 4:4:4 color gamut
stuff. Amazing stuff for sure, but that increases the bandwidth load a lot.

I don't know of any full 18gbps video switchers for cheap, but they should be out soon.
The 2016 models may have fuller passthrough or other brands too, but no easy solution
to extreme hardware demands. Even computer graphic cards strain to do 4k/60/4.4.4.

PS. Temporarily route the hdmi straight from the computer to the tv and see what happens.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 05-13-2016 at 04:45 PM.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
You do have a good handle on things however sometimes actually posting there may attract
some attention that a new thread might not. A new thread is better for me. You gamers always
are bleeding edge on pushing video through receivers and the first to find the video limits.

I don't understand when you say hdcp reset. Turning on things upstream is best, but it really
shouldn't matter. Mixing old hdmi with new is a no-no when pushing that 4:4:4 color gamut
stuff. Amazing stuff for sure, but that increases the bandwidth load a lot.

I don't know of any full 18gbps video switchers for cheap, but they should be out soon.
The 2016 models may have fuller passthrough or other brands too, but no easy solution
to extreme hardware demands. Even computer graphic cards strain to do 4k/60/4.4.4.

PS. Temporarily route the hdmi straight from the computer to the tv and see what happens.
I did a test with 4k/30/4:2:2, didn't help the issue.
I'm testing out connecting it straight to the TV right now, must have it go for some hours before I can deem it good.
Also, I did notice that the connector on my HDMI cable (the end that was in the receiver), might be a bit bent... So I prepared the old cable too for more testing
post #7 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 04:59 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot to mention that. Very possible a cable problem. I just participated in a thread about
the need to use hdmi cables rated for high speed and/or hdmi 1.4/2.0? vs. the standard rated
1.3 cable. Very few are rated for 18gb. Most are 10gb. For gaming/lossless audio I recommend
the high speed cables. And shorter the better. They are temperamental. I can't prove it will
make a difference though.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

You have a denon right? Look what I found from denon about hdmi handshake
and cable specs. A nice long tutorial about the stuff I keep noticing/calling out.
I was searching for hdcp reset and found 'disconnect hdmi cable and reconnect'.
Is that what you did? Read this area of official 2016 thread. These users are just
like you and where I just got some of the info I provided.

Last edited by kikkenit2; 05-13-2016 at 05:26 PM.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I forgot to mention that. Very possible a cable problem. I just participated in a thread about
the need to use hdmi cables rated for high speed and/or hdmi 1.4/2.0? vs. the standard rated
1.3 cable. Very few are rated for 18gb. Most are 10gb. For gaming/lossless audio I recommend
the high speed cables. And shorter the better. They are temperamental. I can't prove it will
make a difference though.
Quote:
You have a denon right? Look what I found from denon about hdmi handshake
and cable specs. A nice long tutorial about the stuff I keep noticing/calling out.
I was searching for hdcp reset and found 'disconnect hdmi cable and reconnect'.
Is that what you did? Read this area of official 2016 thread. These users are just
like you and where I just got some of the info I provided.
Both my HDMI cables are High-Speed rated, and both are 5 meters, well within the limit. The new one is flat though, I understand that could be a bit risky. But now I've had it connected directly too the TV and played music for a good while, and not a single hitch. Normally I would've had several plus some complete drop outs in the same timespan. So I guess it's not necessary the cable.
I'll go back to testing with the receiver tomorrow.

The HDCP reset I did was to turn off all devices (TV, AVR and PC), and disconnects all the HDMI cables between them. Then let them stay of for a while before you reconnect the cables, then turn them on in order. Before I did this after I changed to my new cable, video will just go nuts, going dark frequently, reported resolutions would be all weird. The temp solution I did that night to be able to watch a movie was just to set it back to 1080p, the blackouts was quite short then and not so frequent.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 06:10 PM - Thread Starter

I might actually have found the solution hidden in this thread: http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=146911
I disabled HDMI Control on my AVR (I did enable ARC though, as I need that), Now I've tested both the old and new cable, without hitch. This is such a relief, the audio hitched really started to get on my nerves
post #11 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The newest thread (2016) is all about the video limitations of the x2200 and a few
are upset. It won't upscale to [email protected] etc. For a 5.1 speaker setup if abandoning lossless
audio for dd 5.1 solves the audio problem it may be worth it. The higher audio
bandwidth of hdmi has more effect when using 7.1 speakers.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-13-2016, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The newest thread (2016) is all about the video limitations of the x2200 and a few
are upset. It won't upscale to [email protected] etc. For a 5.1 speaker setup if abandoning lossless
audio for dd 5.1 solves the audio problem it may be worth it. The higher audio
bandwidth of hdmi has more effect when using 7.1 speakers.

Yeah, I've always been aware of the x2200's limitations in that regard, but they don't matter as I've completely disabled the scaler anyways.
When I wrote my last post, I said I might've solved the issue. Well, it was solved up until now, audio just dropped out. It is the longest I've seen it go though, so that's something, and it was without hitches

It starts to look like my only real solution is wait a little and buy a new graphics card with HDMI2.0 so that it can

Last edited by aerandir92; 05-13-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page