The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 105 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33140Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3121 of 7205 Old 02-07-2017, 03:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Yeah, I'm climbing down some rabbit holes. Probably more reading than I wanted to do!

Here's another interesting page I just started in on. https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/10...dvanced-topic/

The setup really does sound great as-is - I'm just conditioned to have to do extra tweaking, go figure.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3122 of 7205 Old 02-07-2017, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Yeah, I'm climbing down some rabbit holes. Probably more reading than I wanted to do!

Here's another interesting page I just started in on. https://simplehomecinema.com/2014/10...dvanced-topic/

The setup really does sound great as-is - I'm just conditioned to have to do extra tweaking, go figure.
HAH! You're just in the rabbit hole foyer. Take a dabble here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-aud...et-graphs.html

And be sure to note the total pages and posts...

(Edit: Oh yeah -- I just checked out your link. I did that page several months ago... Honest -- I only say that because I know how you feel. Others here know that I've talked about "sucking on a firehose" for months.)
TrojanHorse likes this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 02-07-2017 at 06:30 PM.
richlife is offline  
post #3123 of 7205 Old 02-07-2017, 08:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
TrojanHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,255
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Gadzooks! 21,000+ posts!

I think I made it through about half of this thread, maybe 60%, and a lot of the Denon equivalent and got sick of it and just bought one.
richlife likes this.
TrojanHorse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3124 of 7205 Old 02-07-2017, 08:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Gadzooks! 21,000+ posts!

I think I made it through about half of this thread, maybe 60%, and a lot of the Denon equivalent and got sick of it and just bought one.
I hear you. Before I bought, I read the entire Yamaha xx50 Owners thread and started following the new xx60 threads until this one was firmly established. Then it became my "goto" thread -- and I started learning about too many things that we should never ever get knowledge of lest we totally lose control and then become one of me. AVS Forums is not good for people with a budget...
muzz and PhantomDriver like this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
richlife is offline  
post #3125 of 7205 Old 02-09-2017, 06:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 84,279
Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22741 Post(s)
Liked: 12383
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Wow, that is actually VERY impressive. And @TrojanHorse keep in mind that, aside from adding another sub band (15.5Hz, I think) for manual EQ, YPAO for the A3060 was improved over the A3050. Hopefully someone else can remember just how it was improved. (Man, I'm getting SO old!)
Room acoustics optimization using YPAO™- R.S.C. with 3D, 64-bit precision EQ calculation and angle measurement
richlife likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #3126 of 7205 Old 02-09-2017, 08:13 AM
Member
 
jimform2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near Detroit
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Are there any recommended YPAO multi measure patterns (for 7.1)? I've seen a 'W' shaped pattern but the manual does not show this.

I heard mention of 8 position measurement but the manual does not show that many positions.

Thanks
jimform2k1 is offline  
post #3127 of 7205 Old 02-09-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,784
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimform2k1 View Post
Are there any recommended YPAO multi measure patterns (for 7.1)? I've seen a 'W' shaped pattern but the manual does not show this.

I heard mention of 8 position measurement but the manual does not show that many positions.

Thanks
It should reflect your listening position(s). I use 5 points for a single LP. But you should also try just using the actual LP(s) and compare. In some cases more is better, but not always.
richlife likes this.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #3128 of 7205 Old 02-09-2017, 09:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Skylinestar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Borneo Island
Posts: 3,044
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1311 Post(s)
Liked: 268
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Room acoustics optimization using YPAO™- R.S.C. with 3D, 64-bit precision EQ calculation and angle measurement
Is there any measurement (such as REW) to show this improvement?
How does the new YPAO fare against the aging XT32?
Skylinestar is offline  
post #3129 of 7205 Old 02-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Member
 
Mustangjeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm considering picking up an RX-A1060 to replace an Anthem MRX 300, and I'm hoping to get some guidance.

I like the Anthem unit. It's pretty much a simple no-frills unit which is fine since I have a home theater PC connected via HDMI. My driving force for replacing it is that the Anthem is limited in it's speaker configuration.

First, The Anthem doesn't have dual subwoofer outputs. I have a Martin Logan grotto i and a Vandersteen V2W connected with a Y adapter. There are cases when I would like to disable one of them without having to walk over and turn the volume knob off. This is usually when I'm playing records on the turntable. Too much bass causes tons of woofer pushing.

Second, I use a big pair of Klipsch Chorus II speakers for my mains, and the Anthem does not have the ability to do LFE+Main/Extra Bass. I'm stuck in a situation where I'll either get no subwooder output if my mains are set to large, or I can't use my mains to their fullest.

That being said. Do the Yamaha units have the ability to configure speaker profiles at the input level?

For example :

HDMI 1 - Blu Ray Movie - 7.2 channel - Extra Bass on or off
HDMI 2 - Home theater PC - 6.2 channel (center disabled) - Extra Bass on

Analog 1 and/or turnable input - 6.1 channel (center and one sub disabled) - Extra Bass on or off

Yes, I like to listen to two channel music using all channels except for the center.

Any thoughts if this is achievable.
Mustangjeff is offline  
post #3130 of 7205 Old 02-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Member
 
jimform2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Near Detroit
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For TV, could I set the DSP Program to Sci-Fi to get 7.1 audio for both 2.0 and 5.1 tv channels? Without hitting extra buttons, I would like to get Dolby 7.1 audio out (not Yamaha dsp audio) for both 2.0 and 5.1 tv channels. On my Onkyo, I can set 2.0 audio signal to PrologicIIx and 5.1 to Dolby EX for the tv input.


Thanks again.




Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Any 5.1 source will be output to 7 channels, with the side channels duplicated in the rear. For 2 ch sources you need to select a decoder to use for matrixing. There is no "Extended Surround" mode per se in the xx60 models, you can just use whatever decoder you like without it being a global setting. I'd use the DD Surround decoder to matrix all sources to 7.1. You would set that on the input used for the DVR and it will be remembered, or create a SCENE setup with that specified. If you have it set to "straight" you'll get 2 channels from stereo sources and 7.1 from 5.1 sources.

All recently discussed in here. PLIIx doesn't exist now, the "DD Surround" decoder has taken over.
jimform2k1 is offline  
post #3131 of 7205 Old 02-09-2017, 04:22 PM
Member
 
gjvp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm looking to upgrade my old Yamaha RX-V3900 and can see things have really moved on. Not all good as far as I can see. I have a lot of legacy kit and can see it's going to be a challenge to add 4K Dolby Atmos etc and retain all my old stuff. S-Video looks long gone so no choice on that from my LaserDisc player, will have to use composite video.

I'm more disappointed that they appear to have dropped Multi-Ch inputs, I currently have some old Quad 8 tracks that I can play via this input to front and rear speakers. Not sure what I can do to replicate this without Multi Line In?

My main question though relates to the Parametric Equalizer and memory settings on the RX-A2060 or 3060. What sold the RX-V3900 9 years ago was the ability to run YPAO (capturing 3 characteristic curves e.g Natural) which you can then modify or tweak having optimised for the room (taking it out of calibrated YPAO) using the parametric equalizer. e.g. to boost treble at 2Khz then cut above 8K to improve old analogue formats and then save all current settings (not just the equalizer but everything including the sound YPAO characteristic curve, whether the front speaker bass is fed to the sub or if dynamic range compression is on) to one of 6 memory banks. You can then call them up when you want. I can see on the new models the Parametric equalizer is still there and you can call up YPAO as a basis, but I see no mention of saving any setting or references to memory banks in the user manual. Could someone explain how it now works (if it still works!). Taking it on face value based on the manual it looks like you can load YPAO fiddle with the EQ, but not save it or any of the other current setting. Any advice appreciated.
gjvp is offline  
post #3132 of 7205 Old 02-09-2017, 08:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Room acoustics optimization using YPAO™- R.S.C. with 3D, 64-bit precision EQ calculation and angle measurement
Thanks, JD!

I've seen some say they have run YPAO but not bothered with the angle measurement. I think that's a mistake. The Angles involved are the lateral (not vertical) angles from LP (or measuring point). It's helping YPAO to undestand the position of your speakers and help YOU know if YPAO is measuring correctly or if you speakers are placed properly. Just toeing my DAES in toward my MLP made all the difference in my Atmos setup -- th angles pointed the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvp View Post
I'm looking to upgrade my old Yamaha RX-V3900 and can see things have really moved on. Not all good as far as I can see. I have a lot of legacy kit and can see it's going to be a challenge to add 4K Dolby Atmos etc and retain all my old stuff. S-Video looks long gone so no choice on that from my LaserDisc player, will have to use composite video.

I'm more disappointed that they appear to have dropped Multi-Ch inputs, I currently have some old Quad 8 tracks that I can play via this input to front and rear speakers. Not sure what I can do to replicate this without Multi Line In?

My main question though relates to the Parametric Equalizer and memory settings on the RX-A2060 or 3060. What sold the RX-V3900 9 years ago was the ability to run YPAO (capturing 3 characteristic curves e.g Natural) which you can then modify or tweak having optimised for the room (taking it out of calibrated YPAO) using the parametric equalizer. e.g. to boost treble at 2Khz then cut above 8K to improve old analogue formats and then save all current settings (not just the equalizer but everything including the sound YPAO characteristic curve, whether the front speaker bass is fed to the sub or if dynamic range compression is on) to one of 6 memory banks. You can then call them up when you want. I can see on the new models the Parametric equalizer is still there and you can call up YPAO as a basis, but I see no mention of saving any setting or references to memory banks in the user manual. Could someone explain how it now works (if it still works!). Taking it on face value based on the manual it looks like you can load YPAO fiddle with the EQ, but not save it or any of the other current setting. Any advice appreciated.
I expect you will be pleased. Yes, you can set YPAO, tweak the results as you please and Save all (every possible) setting. You need only have the Yamaha network connected and know the two browser interface urls. For the GUI, enter the browser IP address on your computer (for example, 10.0.0.200) -- it helps to give your AVR a static IP. On the second page of that GUI is an option to Save to your computer. You can rename the saved file and create (and restore) as many setups as you want.

As for what is saved: enter the"ipaddr/setup" (10.0.0.200/setup). What you see here in these multitudes of screens is all saved. Also from those screens, you are able to change your settings realtime.

Have fun!

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 02-09-2017 at 08:45 PM.
richlife is offline  
post #3133 of 7205 Old 02-10-2017, 01:09 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all,
I am new to the forum as a member but have trolled it for years. Today I received my RX-A3060 and I have a question. I am slowly reading all the posts here and have done a search but can not find the answer. The question I have is if I have video processing turned and set for 4K does the receiver pass through the signal unchanged if it is already in 4K? The reason I ask is I have the receiver hooked up to a LG OLED 65G6P and if I do not have all My Inputs (Dish Hopper 3, XBOX One S, Fire TV 4K, Apple TV, PS4 and ROKU 3) outputting the same signal then sometimes when I change inputs the TV says there is no Input. I have tried a Denon and Onkyo receiver before purchasing this receiver and they did the same thing. This one seems to be the best as I do not have any problems if everything is converted to 4K. I know on the Denon it seemed to just pass through the 4K signal. Also is there a way to only have the receiver process certain inputs and not others? The only part I have found in the manual shows changing it for all inputs. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.
Dartagnan_007 is offline  
post #3134 of 7205 Old 02-10-2017, 06:48 AM
Member
 
gjvp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Thanks, JD!

I expect you will be pleased. Yes, you can set YPAO, tweak the results as you please and Save all (every possible) setting. You need only have the Yamaha network connected and know the two browser interface urls. For the GUI, enter the browser IP address on your computer (for example, 10.0.0.200) -- it helps to give your AVR a static IP. On the second page of that GUI is an option to Save to your computer. You can rename the saved file and create (and restore) as many setups as you want.

As for what is saved: enter the"ipaddr/setup" (10.0.0.200/setup). What you see here in these multitudes of screens is all saved. Also from those screens, you are able to change your settings realtime.

Have fun!


That's great, thank you, but do I have to boot up my PC (in a another room) to save and load files.
Is it not possible to save the different settings in the Receiver? if not can you save the settings on an android tablet or phone instead of a PC?
gjvp is offline  
post #3135 of 7205 Old 02-10-2017, 11:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvp View Post
That's great, thank you, but do I have to boot up my PC (in a another room) to save and load files.
Is it not possible to save the different settings in the Receiver? if not can you save the settings on an android tablet or phone instead of a PC?
You can save the settings on the receiver using the OnScreen Setup, but only a max of two sets. I know those are the YPAO associated settings -- not sure if it is the entire system. You can Save to one set (called Pattern) and copy that to the second and modify it. Helps for doing testing, but you have to be careful that you know which set you are working with . Best thing is to Save a set to your PC for secure backup, and THEN play around with the Patterns.

I'm not sure about Android, but I don't think so. I know you can access the "ipaddr/setup" info from your tablet (or phone) but with a quick test I could not pull up the ipaddr GUI. Saving in that ipaddr/Setup context is not convenient. There are just too many pages of parameters to go in to modify to make it reasonable. Also, those changes that are made are either dynamic or can be invoked at will and are saved realtime. But that changes the current set of settings -- not a file Save.

I do think the GUI Save/Restore function is more intended for a PC. Hopefully, someone else more familiar with this function on Android or iOS can offer a definitive answer.

Edit: BTW -- I use a laptop and is sits next to my MLP, so it never occurred to me that it is not convenient.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
richlife is offline  
post #3136 of 7205 Old 02-10-2017, 08:53 PM
Member
 
ajreynol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Parkland, FL
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey guys I'm having some real trouble with compatibility between my Xbox One S and my Yamaha for viewing 4K movies. The Receiver constantly loses its HDCP handshake with it. Picture and audio sporadically going in and out. I've tried rebooting the box, the tv, the receiver, unplugging the receiver, resetting the receiver, and reseating the HDMI cables.

When I plug the Xbox directly into the TV everything is fine. When I go through the receiver, things become very dicey.

If anyone is using an Xbox One S for 4K blu-ray play back, did you do anything special to the receiver other than switching the HDMI ports to MODE 1?

Also, if anyone has a standalone 4K blu-ray player recommendation to pair with the 3060 that has not given you any handshake or playback issues, I'd be eternally grateful for the make and model of your 4k player.

If it helps, my TV is the Sony 850D (link) on one HDMI out and the JVC RS620U projector (link) on HDMI out #2. I'm having a helluva time getting both to play nicely with the Xbox One S.

Thanks in advance.
ajreynol is offline  
post #3137 of 7205 Old 02-10-2017, 08:58 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,784
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3882 Post(s)
Liked: 3124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynol View Post
Hey guys I'm having some real trouble with compatibility between my Xbox One S and my Yamaha for viewing 4K movies. The Receiver constantly loses its HDCP handshake with it. Picture and audio sporadically going in and out. I've tried rebooting the box, the tv, the receiver, unplugging the receiver, resetting the receiver, and reseating the HDMI cables.
You've pretty well described a bad HDMI cable. Replace the one from XB to AVR plus the one from AVR to display. Use nothing other than Certified Premium High Speed cables. (18Gbps rated)
richlife likes this.
rdgrimes is online now  
post #3138 of 7205 Old 02-10-2017, 09:02 PM
Member
 
ajreynol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Parkland, FL
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
You've pretty well described a bad HDMI cable. Replace the one from XB to AVR plus the one from AVR to display. Use nothing other than Certified Premium High Speed cables. (18Gbps rated)
Roger that.

Out of curiosity, are you also using an Xbox One S for 4K movies?
ajreynol is offline  
post #3139 of 7205 Old 02-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Senior Member
 
pilgrimpete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Oregon, USA
Posts: 202
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynol View Post
Hey guys I'm having some real trouble with compatibility between my Xbox One S and my Yamaha for viewing 4K movies. The Receiver constantly loses its HDCP handshake with it. Picture and audio sporadically going in and out. I've tried rebooting the box, the tv, the receiver, unplugging the receiver, resetting the receiver, and reseating the HDMI cables.

When I plug the Xbox directly into the TV everything is fine. When I go through the receiver, things become very dicey.

If anyone is using an Xbox One S for 4K blu-ray play back, did you do anything special to the receiver other than switching the HDMI ports to MODE 1?

Also, if anyone has a standalone 4K blu-ray player recommendation to pair with the 3060 that has not given you any handshake or playback issues, I'd be eternally grateful for the make and model of your 4k player.

If it helps, my TV is the Sony 850D (link) on one HDMI out and the JVC RS620U projector (link) on HDMI out #2. I'm having a helluva time getting both to play nicely with the Xbox One S.
Thanks in advance.
I had no issues until I added an XBox One S and then later an Oppo UDP-203.

The XB1S took a lot of swapping cables, checking settings but is pretty robust now. It is not my primary 4K movie player but from the few discs I have tried in it, it looked solid.

The Oppo had issues with the default menu screen being set for 60 Hz. (so I just got a black screen on startup and the receiver would just flick through HDMI outputs, trying to send the signal to the TV but failing) but I worked around it with the custom display settings. It still has a few HDMI issues (sometimes doesn't handshake correctly and then you get no sound) but that's easily fixed with an input change and then change back. Supposedly everyone else is having this issue to a lesser or greater degree - ranging from no picture the first couple of seconds of playback, to permanent black screen. I'm at the lower end of the scale so can't complain too much.

My issues, I believe, are the cables I am running to my TV. They are Monoprice and were supposedly the latest standard but I don't think either was certified. I will swap them out next time the TV comes down off the wall for some certified cables, which I hope will put paid to any further problems.

Spoiler!
pilgrimpete is offline  
post #3140 of 7205 Old 02-11-2017, 10:24 AM
Member
 
ajreynol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Parkland, FL
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Thanks for the insight, guys. It is extremely helpful for us. Any additional feedback will be invaluable at this point, as I am passing it all along to our AV installer who also has had a limited experience with the latest 4K standards. We're just hoping to reach a point where we can stop being frustrated that everything feels "fragile" (not knowing what it will do the next time I turn everything on is scary given the total investment).

http://celeritytek.com/product-DFO.html

This was recommended for the one HDMI cable that needs to be > 40 feet and hopefully something like this will eliminate the possibility of that HDMI cable solution (which has a couple of signal amplifiers attached to it) from the list of possible culprits.

In the end, it may be related to a setting on the TV/Projector that the other does not support completely, or perhaps it is an additional setting (other than HDMI Mode 1) on this receiver that will fix the issues. I have no idea, so again any insight on the receiver end (any settings that I should check on the receiver menus) will help me eliminate the receiver itself as the culprit, and that in and of itself would be huge.

Thanks again guys.
ajreynol is offline  
post #3141 of 7205 Old 02-11-2017, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynol View Post
http://celeritytek.com/product-DFO.html

This was recommended for the one HDMI cable that needs to be > 40 feet and hopefully something like this will eliminate the possibility of that HDMI cable solution (which has a couple of signal amplifiers attached to it) from the list of possible culprits.
FWIW, I have the 50' Celerity and use it with a 2060.

It works great and COMPLETELY solved ALL of the 4K/HDR problems in my setup. I can do 4K/60/HDR no sweat now with both a Roku Ultra and an Nvidia Shield (2017). (Also recommend the Oppo 203 for 4K UHD disc playback.)

The Celerity is pricey, but it actually works.

__________
Visio P65-C1 / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K / TiVo Bolt
Yamaha RX-A2060 5.1.4 / KEF iQ / Speakercraft (Ceiling) / Hsu sub / Ruipro 15 Meter Fiber HDMI
bluechunks is offline  
post #3142 of 7205 Old 02-11-2017, 11:48 AM
Member
 
ajreynol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Parkland, FL
Posts: 79
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
FWIW, I have the 50' Celerity and use it with a 2060.

It works great and COMPLETELY solved ALL of the 4K/HDR problems in my setup. I can do 4K/60/HDR no sweat now with both a Roku Ultra and an Nvidia Shield (2017). (Also recommend the Oppo 203 for 4K UHD disc playback.)

The Celerity is pricey, but it actually works.
Outstanding. Thank you for that confrimation. It's extremely helpful. How much are they? Price shouldn't be a concern for me, but the insight would be appreciated.
ajreynol is offline  
post #3143 of 7205 Old 02-11-2017, 12:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bluechunks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA
Posts: 1,219
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynol View Post
Outstanding. Thank you for that confrimation. It's extremely helpful. How much are they? Price shouldn't be a concern for me, but the insight would be appreciated.
Just going from memory (often faulty) I want to say MSRP for a 40' or 50' is around $399US.

I was lucky to find an "open box" item (the fibre had not even been unspooled) from an authorized dealer for significantly less.

Just make sure to purchase the latest version that does 18Gpbs (it's listed on the box) as there is also an earlier version out there that is limited to 13Gbps.

__________
Visio P65-C1 / Oppo UDP-203 / Apple TV 4K / TiVo Bolt
Yamaha RX-A2060 5.1.4 / KEF iQ / Speakercraft (Ceiling) / Hsu sub / Ruipro 15 Meter Fiber HDMI
bluechunks is offline  
post #3144 of 7205 Old 02-11-2017, 03:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 12
How to enter advanced settings menu?
_voyager_ is offline  
post #3145 of 7205 Old 02-11-2017, 04:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 227
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynol View Post
Outstanding. Thank you for that confrimation. It's extremely helpful. How much are they? Price shouldn't be a concern for me, but the insight would be appreciated.
What length is needed? Here is a 40' for a reasonable? price.
https://www.amazon.com/MyCableMart-S...=Celerity+hdmi
Therberg is offline  
post #3146 of 7205 Old 02-11-2017, 10:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,430
Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3357 Post(s)
Liked: 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by _voyager_ View Post
How to enter advanced settings menu?
http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=67396

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	advanced.png
Views:	817
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	1960865  
richlife likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #3147 of 7205 Old 02-12-2017, 11:44 AM
Member
 
gjvp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
You can save the settings on the receiver using the OnScreen Setup, but only a max of two sets. I know those are the YPAO associated settings -- not sure if it is the entire system. You can Save to one set (called Pattern) and copy that to the second and modify it. Helps for doing testing, but you have to be careful that you know which set you are working with . Best thing is to Save a set to your PC for secure backup, and THEN play around with the Patterns.

I'm not sure about Android, but I don't think so. I know you can access the "ipaddr/setup" info from your tablet (or phone) but with a quick test I could not pull up the ipaddr GUI. Saving in that ipaddr/Setup context is not convenient. There are just too many pages of parameters to go in to modify to make it reasonable. Also, those changes that are made are either dynamic or can be invoked at will and are saved realtime. But that changes the current set of settings -- not a file Save.

I do think the GUI Save/Restore function is more intended for a PC. Hopefully, someone else more familiar with this function on Android or iOS can offer a definitive answer.

Edit: BTW -- I use a laptop and is sits next to my MLP, so it never occurred to me that it is not convenient.


I went back and read the Yamaha Manual (Quite hard to digest without the actual kit!) page after page, and it looks to me like you can store settings that were YPAO calibration figures that have been tweaked for personal preference using the Parametric equaliser. Page 122 details 'Scene functions' that can be saved and recalled and on page 123 what settings can be saved (you can select from a list). The last item is 'speaker setup' and it lists 'PEQ select' detailing page 135. Page 135 then details Parametric EQ with 'Manual' as an option. I would have thought that if you currently had manual selected then Scene Save would have to save whatever the manual settings currently are in the Parametric EQ. I.e. if you copied the Auto setup (YPAO) results (as detailed on page 135) edited the gain e.g. + 3dB at say 200Hz Q=1.5 then Scene Save would save all the selected data (including the Parametric EQ tweak) to one of the 4 Available locations on the remote? Can someone please confirm this does work?
gjvp is offline  
post #3148 of 7205 Old 02-12-2017, 12:06 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Contact info

So, being a n00b, I can PM people. Can someone give me an email address for JDSmoothie? Thanks in advance.
dristau77 is offline  
post #3149 of 7205 Old 02-12-2017, 12:20 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by dristau77 View Post
So, being a n00b, I can PM people. Can someone give me an email address for JDSmoothie? Thanks in advance.
Can't* PM people...
dristau77 is offline  
post #3150 of 7205 Old 02-12-2017, 12:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Tucson
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynol View Post
Thanks for the insight, guys. It is extremely helpful for us. Any additional feedback will be invaluable at this point, as I am passing it all along to our AV installer who also has had a limited experience with the latest 4K standards. We're just hoping to reach a point where we can stop being frustrated that everything feels "fragile" (not knowing what it will do the next time I turn everything on is scary given the total investment).

http://celeritytek.com/product-DFO.html

This was recommended for the one HDMI cable that needs to be > 40 feet and hopefully something like this will eliminate the possibility of that HDMI cable solution (which has a couple of signal amplifiers attached to it) from the list of possible culprits.

In the end, it may be related to a setting on the TV/Projector that the other does not support completely, or perhaps it is an additional setting (other than HDMI Mode 1) on this receiver that will fix the issues. I have no idea, so again any insight on the receiver end (any settings that I should check on the receiver menus) will help me eliminate the receiver itself as the culprit, and that in and of itself would be huge.

Thanks again guys.
I share your concerns about your system being fragile and your "total investment". So much so that being into music listening so much more than HT I am seriously considering sending back the 3060-unopened- that came about 2 weeks ago and just concentrate on a music listening set up. I have been reading this forum daily for about 2-3 months and I am astonished at the array of issues that come up and what seems like the complexity of solutions. I admire people that get into the details and understand how these avr's work. But for me if it's going to be fragile I don't think it's worth the investment. Also even if everything does work properly I am concerned about the complexity of it all. Am I fretting to much about the complexity or potential problems?
maur53 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off