The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 106 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33140Likes

post #3151 of 7205 Old 02-12-2017, 04:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked: 960
I wouldn't describe Yamaha AVR's as "fragile", to the contrary, they are probably the most reliable devices of this sort you can buy. Complex? Feature laden? Yes, most definitely. Most of the features in a 3060 are for movies, however. It wouldn't be my first choice for a dedicated music system. Lots of great (and cheaper) options out there for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gwsat and richlife like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3152 of 7205 Old 02-12-2017, 04:53 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Let's hear it for the ENHANCED DSP on the 3060 !

Been watching some older DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO Blu Rays (the movie version of the B'way musical "Les Miserables" among others) and have to say that choosing the ENHANCED DSP over the NEURAL:X upmixer was so much better. When I first chose to upmix with NEURAL:X I have to say I was slightly disappointed until I decided to choose ENHANCED DSP instead of NEURAL:X and what a major difference! The sound was room filling! Quite an expierence!
Very pleased with this ENHANCED DSP only found on the 3060. I have read some posts and many agree with me...Also with native ATMOS Blu Rays in combination with ENHANCED DSP the sound is amazing.
And that is only using a 5.1.2 speaker configuration with DOLBY ENABLED KLIPSCH RP-140SA ELEVATION SPEAKERS (have not yet upgraded to 5.1.4 as of this writing).
I would like to hear some additional observations.
gwsat and richlife like this.

Last edited by aflorida; 02-12-2017 at 05:06 PM.
post #3153 of 7205 Old 02-12-2017, 06:15 PM
Still a newbie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Gentlemen
As a new member I am greatful for all the knowledge this thread provided on setting up my one month old 2060. I've literally spent hours screenshoting point of interest I have benefited from.
Unfortunately, I have one problem even Yamaha customer service has been unable to diagnose. Their answer was clear the unit to factory setting and if that doesn't work, return the unit to retailer. I have searched several hours on these forums with no avail, so I'll throw it out there:
When I set up the unit, I connected to Wifi, downloaded the latest firmware and went on my way. A few days later, after tweaking everything countless hours I noticed the unit was not connected to my home network any longer.
From the set up menu, when I open the "network" set up screen, "Network Connection", "IP Address", "MAC Address filter" and "network name" are effectively "greyed" out. If I attempt to select them, I get a "Not Available" message on screen. My Bluetooth setup screen from set up menu also has
"Bluetooth on/off" greyed out and not selectable. So far I have done the following with no resolution
1) Reset unit completely to factory default
2) Connected unit directly to my network using a Cat5 cable bypassing wireless networks.
3) confirmed my network itself has no security restrictions preventing it from being detected by the 2060.
4) Contacted Yamaha who had no idea why this is occurring and suggested restoring defaults and then returning unit.
5) Attempted to connect to Pandora, Spotify, using "Net" button on remote..("please wait" on screen message appears indefinitely)
6) Confirmed rear antenna is connected firmly and raised. (My Wifi extender is literally 6" away from antenna)

I'm puzzled the unit originally connected without issue and downloaded latest firmware. I'm also puzzled how my Bluetooth is disabled as well.
Does anyone know if I inadvertently disabled ALL network connections? It is not addressed in the 231 page owners manual so I'm assuming it can NOT be completely disabled.
Thank you in advance for any assistance. I hope someday I can return the favor to someone by providing some insight to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3154 of 7205 Old 02-12-2017, 06:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjvp View Post
I went back and read the Yamaha Manual (Quite hard to digest without the actual kit!) page after page, and it looks to me like you can store settings that were YPAO calibration figures that have been tweaked for personal preference using the Parametric equaliser. Page 122 details 'Scene functions' that can be saved and recalled and on page 123 what settings can be saved (you can select from a list). The last item is 'speaker setup' and it lists 'PEQ select' detailing page 135. Page 135 then details Parametric EQ with 'Manual' as an option. I would have thought that if you currently had manual selected then Scene Save would have to save whatever the manual settings currently are in the Parametric EQ. I.e. if you copied the Auto setup (YPAO) results (as detailed on page 135) edited the gain e.g. + 3dB at say 200Hz Q=1.5 then Scene Save would save all the selected data (including the Parametric EQ tweak) to one of the 4 Available locations on the remote? Can someone please confirm this does work?
Sure if you want to go to all that trouble just to save a few specific settings. I use about 7or 8 Scenes myself. I tend to leave the first four remote accessible Scenes alone as I actually have use for those function (mine are customized versions of the originals). Scene 4 radio is mostly for my wife though I occasionally listen to a local ball game.

OTOH, I thought you were asking about saving Settings on a broader scale. Saving Scene settings are useful for the Scenes if you will use them repeatedly, but for running YPAO then modify or tweak it -- rather than Saving a few pieces, I would think you would want to save your "room configuration". Remember that Save is for capturing the entire set of AVR settings. Scene Save only saves up to that limited set of settings that you want for each Scene -- anywhere from the original 4 checkbox items up to the full set of 10 (although I have yet to have any use for Lip Sync on my AVR).

You can save the 4 "remote accessible" Scenes by setting up your Scene exactly as you want and then press and hold the individual Scene 1-4 button for 3 seconds until the screen message appears. (This by default will only save those first 4 checkbox items -- to save the rest, you must first go into Scene edit Detail and check all the boxes.) You can save the Scene 5 - 12 info by clicking all desired parameters in the desired Scene Detail, then setup your Scene and go into the Scene Save. You'll make a few mistakes, but with several tries it becomes pretty simple though a little tedious.

Edit: In the end, there are just a LOT of Save options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dristau77 View Post
So, being a n00b, I can PM people. Can someone give me an email address for JDSmoothie? Thanks in advance.
Just PM him at his username JDSmoothie. You can also search for "jdsmoothie" and get a list of posts with his username that will let you see his Contact Info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
Been watching some older DTS-HD MASTER AUDIO Blu Rays (the movie version of the B'way musical "Les Miserables" among others) and have to say that choosing the ENHANCED DSP over the NEURAL:X upmixer was so much better. When I first chose to upmix with NEURAL:X I have to say I was slightly disappointed until I decided to choose ENHANCED DSP instead of NEURAL:X and what a major difference! The sound was room filling! Quite an expierence!
Very pleased with this ENHANCED DSP only found on the 3060. I have read some posts and many agree with me...Also with native ATMOS Blu Rays in combination with ENHANCED DSP the sound is amazing.
And that is only using a 5.1.2 speaker configuration with DOLBY ENABLED KLIPSCH RP-140SA ELEVATION SPEAKERS (have not yet upgraded to 5.1.4 as of this writing).
I would like to hear some additional observations.
Yes, as you know, I fully agree. I also find Enhanced to work similarly with Dolby True HD discs as it does with DTS MA HD -- though the latter may be a little better (?). I haven't checked to see if I have any discs with both Dolby True HD and DTS MA HD for comparison. Not sure such discs exist at all.

I will say that I would have a hard time stating for certain that I have a preference for a disc with DTS:X vs a disc with DTS MA HD + Enhanced DSP. Of course, DTS:X + Enhanced is also possible... Frankly, I just tend to call up the right Scene (appropriate speaker definitions -- thanks again to @PioManiac ) for Atmos or DTS:X (depending on Dolby or DTS encoded disc) and add the Enhanced ESP if it is not already on -- and just get on with enjoying my HT!

I've posted before that the choice of upmixer or DSP is more important for me with music than with movies. I find that the Enhanced DSP tends to "spread" the sound field more than Neural:X -- an effect that, in my room, I don't usually prefer as much. But sometimes I just change to 9-Ch and enjoy that different immersion. So many toys in one "simple" box!

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 02-12-2017 at 06:56 PM.
post #3155 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 01:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22734 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by dristau77 View Post
Can't* PM people...
PM sent.
richlife likes this.
post #3156 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
STOKED! My 3060 should be here in a few days... Can't wait to get everything set up and start to enjoy 7.1.4!!!!!!! Any pro user tips?
post #3157 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 08:09 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by reburg99 View Post
STOKED! My 3060 should be here in a few days... Can't wait to get everything set up and start to enjoy 7.1.4!!!!!!! Any pro user tips?
Read the Owners manual and browse this thread in your spare time.
richlife and reburg99 like this.
post #3158 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5829
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Read the Owners manual and browse this thread in your spare time.
I might add that you should approach climbing your 3060's learning curve with a lot of patience. When I got my first Yamaha receiver, an RX-V2400, I thought I might die of old age before starting to understand how it worked. You are fortunate that Yamaha's user interface is much better these days than it was then. If you download the owners manual from the Yamaha site, you will be able to do full test searches of any word or phrase you want to find. That feature has been very useful to me.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #3159 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I might add that you should approach climbing your 3060's learning curve with a lot of patience. When I got my first Yamaha receiver, an RX-V2400, I thought I might die of old age before starting to understand how it worked. You are fortunate that Yamaha's user interface is much better these days than it was then. If you download the owners manual from the Yamaha site, you will be able to do full test searches of any word or phrase you want to find. That feature has been very useful to me.
Yeah. I'm figure I'll get it set up and running, start enjoying it, then start tweaking over time unless there's something right off the bat I don't like or not hearing... Which I'm not expecting.
post #3160 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Yeah. I'm figure I'll get it set up and running, start enjoying it, then start tweaking over time unless there's something right off the bat I don't like or not hearing... Which I'm not expecting.
Pro amateur user tip: Run YPAO as soon as you can -- like when you get all your speakers connected. THEN you can enjoy listening and watching while you figure out what it all means. YPAO is pretty much as good as it gets for auto room/speaker setup software -- especially with the 3060.

As @Bond 007 indicated -- everything you need is pretty much already answered in this thread. From the simple to the intensely complex, we've discussed it. The Manual is pretty much a nicety and has ALMOST everything you need. But sometimes they assume you know what you don't know...

Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #3161 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
. YPAO is pretty much as good as it gets for auto room/speaker setup software -- especially with the 3060.
The quality and adjustability of YPAO was the major reason I chose Yamaha over Marantz/Dennon. Listening to the units side by side, there was very little difference between the 2. If the Marantz was not minimally set up with feet(delay) and a +1.5 on the center channel, I may have not noticed anything.... who knows?
post #3162 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 02:06 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Sure if you want to go to all that trouble just to save a few specific settings. I use about 7or 8 Scenes myself. I tend to leave the first four remote accessible Scenes alone as I actually have use for those function (mine are customized versions of the originals). Scene 4 radio is mostly for my wife though I occasionally listen to a local ball game.

OTOH, I thought you were asking about saving Settings on a broader scale. Saving Scene settings are useful for the Scenes if you will use them repeatedly, but for running YPAO then modify or tweak it -- rather than Saving a few pieces, I would think you would want to save your "room configuration". Remember that Save is for capturing the entire set of AVR settings. Scene Save only saves up to that limited set of settings that you want for each Scene -- anywhere from the original 4 checkbox items up to the full set of 10 (although I have yet to have any use for Lip Sync on my AVR).

You can save the 4 "remote accessible" Scenes by setting up your Scene exactly as you want and then press and hold the individual Scene 1-4 button for 3 seconds until the screen message appears. (This by default will only save those first 4 checkbox items -- to save the rest, you must first go into Scene edit Detail and check all the boxes.) You can save the Scene 5 - 12 info by clicking all desired parameters in the desired Scene Detail, then setup your Scene and go into the Scene Save. You'll make a few mistakes, but with several tries it becomes pretty simple though a little tedious.

Edit: In the end, there are just a LOT of Save options.
OK I understand you were explaining saving the whole setup to tweak. I can see that would be useful for some initial setup to get the general sound as you like and I can see myself having a go at that thanks for detailing it. So I take it the scene save does store the manual equaliser settings if manual is selected in the parametric eq settings (Page 135). If so it looks like it's fairly similar to my old RXV3900. It's useful to me so I can quickly select a level of equalisation cut and boost e.g. to tape / 8 track inputs based on the background YPAO curve. I know it works like this on the RXV3900 because in manual mode the YPAO light stays on until you tweak a parametric equaliser value (taking it out of calibration) and it comes back on if you put the manually adjusted gain, frequency or q setting back to what it was. I did have a scene for dynamic range compression as well for listening at night. I didn't realise there were more than 4 scenes available (are these via a menu?). As far as I know only Pioneer and Yamaha allow this type of intervention, everything |I have seen regarding Audyssey implies you can't keep the Audyssey room correction curve, tweak the curve manually and then save it. I'm surprised Yamaha don't make much of this as it surely must highlight a shortcoming in designs that go to an external 3rd party for a room equalisation solution I.e. Audyssey. Pioneer mention it right early as part of their 'Design Philosophy" bullet point 2 "Allow for customised acoustic calibration" in their user manuals.

Last edited by gjvp; 02-13-2017 at 02:34 PM.
post #3163 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 02:15 PM
Still a newbie

Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucfan444 View Post
Gentlemen
As a new member I am greatful for all the knowledge this thread provided on setting up my one month old 2060. I've literally spent hours screenshoting point of interest I have benefited from.
Unfortunately, I have one problem even Yamaha customer service has been unable to diagnose. Their answer was clear the unit to factory setting and if that doesn't work, return the unit to retailer. I have searched several hours on these forums with no avail, so I'll throw it out there:
When I set up the unit, I connected to Wifi, downloaded the latest firmware and went on my way. A few days later, after tweaking everything countless hours I noticed the unit was not connected to my home network any longer.
From the set up menu, when I open the "network" set up screen, "Network Connection", "IP Address", "MAC Address filter" and "network name" are effectively "greyed" out. If I attempt to select them, I get a "Not Available" message on screen. My Bluetooth setup screen from set up menu also has
"Bluetooth on/off" greyed out and not selectable. So far I have done the following with no resolution
1) Reset unit completely to factory default
2) Connected unit directly to my network using a Cat5 cable bypassing wireless networks.
3) confirmed my network itself has no security restrictions preventing it from being detected by the 2060.
4) Contacted Yamaha who had no idea why this is occurring and suggested restoring defaults and then returning unit.
5) Attempted to connect to Pandora, Spotify, using "Net" button on remote..("please wait" on screen message appears indefinitely)
6) Confirmed rear antenna is connected firmly and raised. (My Wifi extender is literally 6" away from antenna)

I'm puzzled the unit originally connected without issue and downloaded latest firmware. I'm also puzzled how my Bluetooth is disabled as well.
Does anyone know if I inadvertently disabled ALL network connections? It is not addressed in the 231 page owners manual so I'm assuming it can NOT be completely disabled.
Thank you in advance for any assistance. I hope someday I can return the favor to someone by providing some insight to them.
2/13/17 UPDATE -----OK, nevermind. Was advised by retailer the unit would be exchanged. Thank you regardless.
post #3164 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've shotgunned through the manuals of both the 1060 and 2060. Am I correct that that I would need to purchase the 2060 in order to configure each sub-woofer independently? That is turn on/off and change volume? The 1060 looks like it treats multiple subs as a single unit?
post #3165 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 45
I've made my decision to purchase a 2060 and was wondering when do we typically see some discounts off MSRP? Will it be closer to May when the new models are announced? I was hoping to snag one for around $1200 at some point

Last edited by Elvis Is Alive; 02-13-2017 at 02:42 PM. Reason: typo
post #3166 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22734 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustangjeff View Post
I've shotgunned through the manuals of both the 1060 and 2060. Am I correct that that I would need to purchase the 2060 in order to configure each sub-woofer independently? That is turn on/off and change volume? The 1060 looks like it treats multiple subs as a single unit?
Correct. Dual sub EQ is only offered on the A2060 and A3060.
post #3167 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 03:19 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi all,

I have a newbie question for you. I have a 3060 receiver and I just popped in the Movie "Salt" on the Samsung 4k Bluray player. It's a 4K UHD disc. The receiver is reporting "Dolby TrueHD" Audio. Does the receiver ever report "ATMOS" or does it simply call ATMOS--Dolby TrueHD?

I checked the disc audio and there does appear to be an ATMOS track. Just curious as I haven't found a disc yet that get's my receiver to push out ATMOS or DTS-X. Is this because I have a 5.1 setup right now? Is the receiver smart enough to use the TrueHD signal as I don't have the ATMOS speakers setup?

Thanks in advance,

Brian

Last edited by brianwithka; 02-13-2017 at 07:28 PM.
post #3168 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 07:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
ATMOS appearing on the 3060

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwithka View Post
Hi all,

I have a newbie question for you. I have a 3060 receiver and I just popped in the Movie "Salt" on the Samsung 4k Bluray player. It's a 4K UHD disc. The receiver is reporting "Dolby TrueHD" Audio. Does the receiver ever report "ATMOS" or does it simply call ATMOS--Dolby TrueHD?

I checked the discs audio and there doesn't appear to be an ATMOS track. Just curious as I haven't found a disc yet that get's my receiver to push out ATMOS or DTS-X.

Thanks in advance,

Brian
If a Blu Ray has an ATMOS track then ATMOS will appear on the 3060.....
Provided you have Presence Speakers connected. You don't have to have BOTH Front Presence and Rear Presence speakers connected. One set is enough to have ATMOS. I myself only have 5.1.2 configuration with ONLY Front Presence speakers connected. I will upgrade to 5.1.4 at a later date by adding Rear Presence speakers ALSO----I believe your Blu Ray Player might have to be switched to Bitstream and I believe Secondary Audio must be turned off on your Blu Ray player. By you only having 5.1 configuration the 3060 is indeed "smart enough" to realize you dont have any Presence speakers connected so yes...you are correct, it will simply NOT play ATMOS and simply play DOLBY TRUE HD only.

----If you hit on your 3060 Remote the DISPLAY BUTTON while an ATMOS Blu Ray is being played the info on screen on the left hand side bottom it will say ATMOS/TRUE HD.
----Furthermore if you hit the ON SCREEN BUTTON on your 3060 remote and go to INFORMATION the Input on screen will also say under FORMAT:ATMOS/TRUE HD.
----Furthermore if you press the INFO Button on your 3060 remote...the 3060 front panel will show which AUDIO DECODER is being played and by pressing the INFO Button again the 3060 will show what DSP PROGRAM is being played (this is the SAME info that is stated when pressing DISPLAY BUTTON on your remote and shows it on screen as I stated above).
TomcatTLC likes this.

Last edited by aflorida; 02-13-2017 at 07:39 PM.
post #3169 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Pro amateur user tip: Run YPAO as soon as you can -- like when you get all your speakers connected. THEN you can enjoy listening and watching while you figure out what it all means. YPAO is pretty much as good as it gets for auto room/speaker setup software -- especially with the 3060.

As @Bond 007 indicated -- everything you need is pretty much already answered in this thread. From the simple to the intensely complex, we've discussed it. The Manual is pretty much a nicety and has ALMOST everything you need. But sometimes they assume you know what you don't know...
YPAO on the 3060 is terrific indeed. Recently I moved my sub and reran YPAO. I used the 3 point triangle and pole to measure both 7.1 and 7.1.4 (Angle/Height) settings. I have learned to just accept what YPAO sets everything for. The results have been thrilling. Tonight I watched Hacksaw Ridge. Its Atmos audio is wonderful, both in providing convincing immersive effects and LFE that is visceral.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #3170 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 08:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
OK I understand you were explaining saving the whole setup to tweak. I can see that would be useful for some initial setup to get the general sound as you like and I can see myself having a go at that thanks for detailing it. So I take it the scene save does store the manual equaliser settings if manual is selected in the parametric eq settings (Page 135). If so it looks like it's fairly similar to my old RXV3900. It's useful to me so I can quickly select a level of equalisation cut and boost e.g. to tape / 8 track inputs based on the background YPAO curve. I know it works like this on the RXV3900 because in manual mode the YPAO light stays on until you tweak a parametric equaliser value (taking it out of calibration) and it comes back on if you put the manually adjusted gain, frequency or q setting back to what it was. I did have a scene for dynamic range compression as well for listening at night. I didn't realise there were more than 4 scenes available (are these via a menu?). As far as I know only Pioneer and Yamaha allow this type of intervention, everything |I have seen regarding Audyssey implies you can't keep the Audyssey room correction curve, tweak the curve manually and then save it. I'm surprised Yamaha don't make much of this as it surely must highlight a shortcoming in designs that go to an external 3rd party for a room equalisation solution I.e. Audyssey. Pioneer mention it right early as part of their 'Design Philosophy" bullet point 2 "Allow for customised acoustic calibration" in their user manuals.
What you're asking is beyond me. Hopefully someone else may have thoughts.

post #3171 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Recently I moved my sub and reran YPAO. I used the 3 point triangle and pole to measure both 7.1 and 7.1.4 (Angle/Height) settings.
The manual is recommend to do the 3 point triangle thing at ear height on a tripod, is this how your doing yours? is there a tripod mount on the bottom? And then what about the pole, do you stick the mic on top of it, on top of the tripod?
post #3172 of 7205 Old 02-13-2017, 09:18 PM

Liked: 12
Hi, I wonder if there is anyone have the experience of using the 12V remote trigger of RX-A3060 to control the power on/off of Denon POA-T3 power amp. I found the remote on-off sockets on POA-T3 but its user manual says very little about the electrical requirement to drive that relay.

FYI, I am using the latter to drive my atmos speakers and it is thinking not moving my ass to switch on/off the power amp every time when I watch a movie.
post #3173 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 01:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
If a Blu Ray has an ATMOS track then ATMOS will appear on the 3060.....
Provided you have Presence Speakers connected. You don't have to have BOTH Front Presence and Rear Presence speakers connected. One set is enough to have ATMOS. I myself only have 5.1.2 configuration with ONLY Front Presence speakers connected. I will upgrade to 5.1.4 at a later date by adding Rear Presence speakers ALSO----I believe your Blu Ray Player might have to be switched to Bitstream and I believe Secondary Audio must be turned off on your Blu Ray player. By you only having 5.1 configuration the 3060 is indeed "smart enough" to realize you dont have any Presence speakers connected so yes...you are correct, it will simply NOT play ATMOS and simply play DOLBY TRUE HD only.

----If you hit on your 3060 Remote the DISPLAY BUTTON while an ATMOS Blu Ray is being played the info on screen on the left hand side bottom it will say ATMOS/TRUE HD.
----Furthermore if you hit the ON SCREEN BUTTON on your 3060 remote and go to INFORMATION the Input on screen will also say under FORMAT:ATMOS/TRUE HD.
----Furthermore if you press the INFO Button on your 3060 remote...the 3060 front panel will show which AUDIO DECODER is being played and by pressing the INFO Button again the 3060 will show what DSP PROGRAM is being played (this is the SAME info that is stated when pressing DISPLAY BUTTON on your remote and shows it on screen as I stated above).
I remember that you have to put DSP mode to Straight in order to see Dolby Atmos as input format.
post #3174 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 02:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by binhton View Post
I remember that you have to put DSP mode to Straight in order to see Dolby Atmos as input format.
Not sure if the 3060 is different with its upgraded performance, but on the 2060 it will also display ATMOS with Surround Decode in addition to Straight.

I don't know if this means that the other sound programs are not utilizing the Atmos portion of the TrueHD stream or if it's simply a display anomaly.

post #3175 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 05:39 AM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
So I take it the scene save does store the manual equaliser settings if manual is selected in the parametric eq settings (Page 135).
Yes.
You also have Pattern 1 and Pattern 2. With these you can save 2 different manual peq settings.
post #3176 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 07:09 AM

Quote:
The manual is recommend to do the 3 point triangle thing at ear height on a tripod, is this how your doing yours? is there a tripod mount on the bottom? And then what about the pole, do you stick the mic on top of it, on top of the tripod?
I sit in a large recliner. With the recliner in its upright position I placed the 3 point triangle and pole on top of the chair back. This made a stable resting place and put the microphone at almost the same height as my ears are when I am watching TV. As noted in my earlier post, the results have pleased me.

All three positions on the 3 point tripod and the the 4th on top of the pole are designed to accept the microphone. I thought the setup was pretty intuitive.
reburg99 likes this.

post #3177 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I happened to have a mic stand from a small PA system so I use a mini boom and adapter. Now I just sit the setup behind the LP on the sofa and the microphone is placed at exactly head position. This little setup has made it so fast and easy. Easier even than using a camera tripod.

mic stand https://www.amazon.com/Pyle-Pro-PMKS.../dp/B002PAW6AU
mini boom https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002E550E
camera adapter https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001GWCC4I/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	15.2 KB
ID:	1966849   Click image for larger version

Name:	boom.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	1966857  
reburg99 and Newbits like this.
post #3178 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 10:06 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Okay so two questions that I have with this receiver that I hope I didn't miss in the entire thread... If so my apologies...

1. I have the Definitive Technology A90s on top of my front two tower speakers, I have selected in the configuration "Dolby Enabled SP" in the presence speaker layout just based on the description... Should I select the overhead option instead or am I good?

2. I'm running 7.2.2 and I stumbled upon the option in the configuration for the subs that I could have a left/right configuration instead of dual mono (both subs are in the front of the room exactly same distance left/right from the TV with one set to reverse phase to deal with them canceling each other out), which configuration makes more sense? Dual mono or left/right? I know all LFE tracks are not configured for left/right so I don't see what that would do for me...

I do wish that the receiver did proudly display the audio codec that its getting like the older models used to so you didn't have to get into the onscreen menus to know what your receiver was seeing... First world problems I suppose... I do seem to favor the 9ch stereo over the Neutral:X setting FWIW... Still trying to learn this thing as this is my first 7. anything system, much less 7.2.2....

Jeff
post #3179 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
The post fits into the 3-point base. The base does have a mount. But I just sit it on top of the back of my MLP recliner. Adding a book underneath (under the 3-point, not under the recliner) adds stability. Works great -- never moves while in use. That's all you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Cheung View Post
Hi, I wonder if there is anyone have the experience of using the 12V remote trigger of RX-A3060 to control the power on/off of Denon POA-T3 power amp. I found the remote on-off sockets on POA-T3 but its user manual says very little about the electrical requirement to drive that relay.

FYI, I am using the latter to drive my atmos speakers and it is thinking not moving my ass to switch on/off the power amp every time when I watch a movie.
The 12V trigger works fine for what you want. The output from these is pretty standard and has worked the same for me for over 20 years with several different pieces of equipment. But it is configurable if needed. I would just try it as is -- there is no appreciable current to do any damage.

post #3180 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 11:59 AM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Looks like Pioneer is also now telling owners of certain 2016 AVR models that DV passthrough will be supported:

Post 40867 in Vizio P-series thread

I think it is fair to say that there is no Dolby non-disclosure agreement and that Yamaha is simply behind other manufactures with an official response on possible updates to support DV passthrough for existing models. And they will also be behind if they decide not to provide an update or are unable.

Edit: In that post there is a link to a Sound&Vision Q&A regarding a Pioneer AVR. S&V apparently got this quote directly from Dolby regarding DV passthrough:

Quote:
“Dolby Vision can technically be routed through any equipment starting at v1.4.b and above, however, the device needs to be aware of the kind of signal properties that differentiate Dolby Vision from a standard SDR signal. To this effect, we have issued a compatibility SDK that several manufacturers have already used to obtain pass-through compatibility on upcoming products. Compatibility on existing products is something that could possibly achieved as well, but is of course at the discretion of each manufacturer/OEM.”
Read more at http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...C3E8jvSi7lZ.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Based on the following German release, looks like the 2016 Denon and Marantz models will be getting a Dolby Vision and HLG firmware update either end of 2017 or early 2018, so possibly Yamaha will be able to release a similar update for these 2016 models as well.

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meld...e-3614979.html

Vizio P65-C1

Last edited by atbroome; 02-14-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page