The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 107 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33139Likes

post #3181 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 02:22 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3252 Post(s)
Liked: 2559
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro_01 View Post
Okay so two questions that I have with this receiver that I hope I didn't miss in the entire thread... If so my apologies...

1. I have the Definitive Technology A90s on top of my front two tower speakers, I have selected in the configuration "Dolby Enabled SP" in the presence speaker layout just based on the description... Should I select the overhead option instead or am I good?

2. I'm running 7.2.2 and I stumbled upon the option in the configuration for the subs that I could have a left/right configuration instead of dual mono (both subs are in the front of the room exactly same distance left/right from the TV with one set to reverse phase to deal with them canceling each other out), which configuration makes more sense? Dual mono or left/right? I know all LFE tracks are not configured for left/right so I don't see what that would do for me...

I do wish that the receiver did proudly display the audio codec that its getting like the older models used to so you didn't have to get into the onscreen menus to know what your receiver was seeing... First world problems I suppose... I do seem to favor the 9ch stereo over the Neutral:X setting FWIW... Still trying to learn this thing as this is my first 7. anything system, much less 7.2.2....

Jeff
1) You are good.
2) Dual mono
Try pressing Display repeatedly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3182 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
1) You are good.
2) Dual mono
Try pressing Display repeatedly.
Thanks!!!

Jeff

HT Setup:
LG OLED65E6P
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3060
Definitive Technology 7.2.2 (A90 models for Atmos) DTS:X/Atmos Playback
Xbox One S (w/ the BitStream update) for Ultra-HD Blu-Ray
post #3183 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
The 3060 "proudly displaying the audio codec"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro_01 View Post
Okay so two questions that I have with this receiver that I hope I didn't miss in the entire thread... If so my apologies...

1. I have the Definitive Technology A90s on top of my front two tower speakers, I have selected in the configuration "Dolby Enabled SP" in the presence speaker layout just based on the description... Should I select the overhead option instead or am I good?

2. I'm running 7.2.2 and I stumbled upon the option in the configuration for the subs that I could have a left/right configuration instead of dual mono (both subs are in the front of the room exactly same distance left/right from the TV with one set to reverse phase to deal with them canceling each other out), which configuration makes more sense? Dual mono or left/right? I know all LFE tracks are not configured for left/right so I don't see what that would do for me...

I do wish that the receiver did proudly display the audio codec that its getting like the older models used to so you didn't have to get into the onscreen menus to know what your receiver was seeing... First world problems I suppose... I do seem to favor the 9ch stereo over the Neutral:X setting FWIW... Still trying to learn this thing as this is my first 7. anything system, much less 7.2.2....

Jeff
As I stated in my earlier post a few posts back......

----If you hit on your 3060 Remote the DISPLAY BUTTON while an ATMOS Blu Ray is being played the info on screen on the left hand side bottom it will say ATMOS/TRUE HD.
----Furthermore if you hit the ON SCREEN BUTTON on your 3060 remote and go to INFORMATION the Input on screen will also say under FORMAT:ATMOS/TRUE HD.
----Furthermore if you press the INFO Button on your 3060 remote...the 3060 front panel will show which AUDIO DECODER is being played and by pressing the INFO Button again the 3060 will show what DSP PROGRAM is being played (this is the SAME info that is stated when pressing DISPLAY BUTTON on your remote and shows it on screen as I stated above).

.....And I do agree I like 9 channel STEREO the best for MUSIC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3184 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post
As I stated in my earlier post a few posts back......

----If you hit on your 3060 Remote the DISPLAY BUTTON while an ATMOS Blu Ray is being played the info on screen on the left hand side bottom it will say ATMOS/TRUE HD.
----Furthermore if you hit the ON SCREEN BUTTON on your 3060 remote and go to INFORMATION the Input on screen will also say under FORMAT:ATMOS/TRUE HD.
----Furthermore if you press the INFO Button on your 3060 remote...the 3060 front panel will show which AUDIO DECODER is being played and by pressing the INFO Button again the 3060 will show what DSP PROGRAM is being played (this is the SAME info that is stated when pressing DISPLAY BUTTON on your remote and shows it on screen as I stated above).

.....And I do agree I like 9 channel STEREO the best for MUSIC
Yep, "Bond 007" replied as well.. . My apologies I missed it... I'm normally better at that and hate it when other people post stuff already answered as well...

Jeff

HT Setup:
LG OLED65E6P
Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3060
Definitive Technology 7.2.2 (A90 models for Atmos) DTS:X/Atmos Playback
Xbox One S (w/ the BitStream update) for Ultra-HD Blu-Ray
post #3185 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 561 Post(s)
Liked: 220
ATMOS being displayed on the 3060....

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
Not sure if the 3060 is different with its upgraded performance, but on the 2060 it will also display ATMOS with Surround Decode in addition to Straight.

I don't know if this means that the other sound programs are not utilizing the Atmos portion of the TrueHD stream or if it's simply a display anomaly.
On the 3060 if you are playing a native ATMOS Blu Ray ...ATMOS will be displayed (on screen and on the receiver's front panel---see my earlier post a few posts back with explanations on how to have ATMOS displayed to confirm you are indeed getting ATMOS) and "the ATMOS portion of the TRUE HD stream"will indeed play when choosing :
A.) STRAIGHT
B.) If you select a DSP (such as ENHANCED,SCI-FI,etc) it will "overlay" with ATMOS (it will play in "combination" with ATMOS)...The difference with last yrs 3050 model and this yrs 3060 model is that you can play a DSP with ATMOS on the 3060
C.) I also found that if you choose SURROUND DECODER ..ATMOS will still be played...It shows on both the front panel display and on the screen. Seems weird but I believe choosing SURROUND DECODER while playing an ATMOS Blu Ray works the same as choosing STRAIGHT---no difference.
D.) But I did test this out...I played an ATMOS Blu Ray and chose STRAIGHT then added a DSP and it showed ATMOS/TRUE HD on screen and on the front panel as it should...but then I tried to test this out by choosing NEURAL:X as a SURROUND DECODER while playing an ATMOS Blu Ray and it changed on both the on screen display and on the front panel to "plain" DOLBY TRUE HD...therefore not enabling ATMOS at all....I did this test a while ago and have not tried it since so I am ONLY going by memory.

In conclusion...if ATMOS/TRUE HD is being displayed on screen and on the front panel display then you are indeed getting ATMOS or "the ATMOS portion of the TRUE HD stream"...whether you decide to choose STRAIGHT while playing an ATMOS Blu Ray -or- choosing SURROUND DECODER while playing an ATMOS Blu Ray -or- choosing to "add" a DSP such as ENHANCED to your ATMOS.
post #3186 of 7205 Old 02-14-2017, 10:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflorida View Post

In conclusion...if ATMOS/TRUE HD is being displayed on screen and on the front panel display then you are indeed getting ATMOS or "the ATMOS portion of the TRUE HD stream"...whether you decide to choose STRAIGHT while playing an ATMOS Blu Ray -or- choosing SURROUND DECODER while playing an ATMOS Blu Ray -or- choosing to "add" a DSP such as ENHANCED to your ATMOS.
Yes, I've seen the same. Keep in mind that the upmixers are based on the technologies they are derived from -- so Surround Decoder is Dolby while Neural:X is DTS. All upmixers will play whatever bitstream they receive, but Dolby Atmos is interpreted properly with Surround Decoder (or Straight bitstream if that is chosen) and DTS:X is interpreted properly with DTS Neural:X (and probably Straight also -- can't say I tried that). The Enhanced DSP can indeed enhance either.
Craig Mecak, gwsat and aflorida like this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #3187 of 7205 Old 02-15-2017, 05:01 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I sit in a large recliner. With the recliner in its upright position I placed the 3 point triangle and pole on top of the chair back. This made a stable resting place and put the microphone at almost the same height as my ears are when I am watching TV. As noted in my earlier post, the results have pleased me.

All three positions on the 3 point tripod and the the 4th on top of the pole are designed to accept the microphone. I thought the setup was pretty intuitive.

... Just wondering ... in the recliner position does YPAO calibrate and compensate for abnormalities i.e. sound absorption/deflection (open mouths), moisture retention (drooling), and sound deviations (snoring) ? ... If it does, I need to run this test !

Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha 3060, Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, LG 65E7P, Sony UBP-X800
post #3188 of 7205 Old 02-15-2017, 06:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
The post fits into the 3-point base. The base does have a mount. But I just sit it on top of the back of my MLP recliner. Adding a book underneath (under the 3-point, not under the recliner) adds stability. Works great -- never moves while in use. That's all you want.

The 12V trigger works fine for what you want. The output from these is pretty standard and has worked the same for me for over 20 years with several different pieces of equipment. But it is configurable if needed. I would just try it as is -- there is no appreciable current to do any damage.

Yes, I DIY a cable with appropriate plugs and it works. Thank you!
post #3189 of 7205 Old 02-15-2017, 07:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
... Just wondering ... in the recliner position does YPAO calibrate and compensate for abnormalities i.e. sound absorption/deflection (open mouths), moisture retention (drooling), and sound deviations (snoring) ? ... If it does, I need to run this test !
It appears that @gwsat and I tend to have comparable experiences, but I'm speaking for myself because he claims to watch all the way to the end of movies. I tend to find that the YPAO settings act as a soporific. It's best to wear a bib and keep the volume at barely tolerable levels to help counter the intensified snoring and other cavernous roaring and even grunting and snorting that result. Highly recommended!
gwsat, ChromeJob and TomcatTLC like this.

Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #3190 of 7205 Old 02-15-2017, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4477 Post(s)
Liked: 5829
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomcatTLC View Post
Doesn't happen if I'm awake but have no clue what happens when I'm asleep (which I admit happens from time to time).
richlife likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #3191 of 7205 Old 02-15-2017, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Purchased a Yamaha RX-A3060 from A/V Science this afternoon. Long-time Denon user, decided to try Yamaha based on reviews since my X4000 was getting a bit dated. Will be asking a lot of Yamaha noob questions. 3060 should be in my possession this Friday so that's when the questions will begin in earnest. Rather excited about it. Tried a Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 and it was promptly returned. I am hoping YPAO will be vastly superior to MCACC Pro.

Usage is 50% Gaming/25% Movies/25% Music. Been listening to a lot more music and watching more movies since I upgraded my speakers and SW. Denon left me wanting in my new space, so I decided to give Yamaha a try. Just couldn't get the sound acceptable, I'm not that picky, and since Audyssey does not allow EQ tweaking, I went with Yamaha.

Man Cave HT: Yamaha RX-A3060 | Chane A5RX-C | Chane A2.4 | Chane A1.4 | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #3192 of 7205 Old 02-15-2017, 05:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Can any 3060 or 3050 owners out there tell me if those receivers will be a Sonic upgrade to my Marantz SR7008.
Im looking to upgrade primarily For 4K HDR pass through and hopefully for some extensive lower range bass room compensation better than they audyssey 32 does.
My system is currently the Marantz sr7008 with an emotiva upa700 amplifier.
Jbl studio l890 mains
Jbl studio l830 front wides
Jbl Lc2 center
Jbl studio l820 x4 side/rears
Svs pb1000 x2 subs.

Does the 3050 do the PEQ that the 3060 does and what is the main difference between last year's and this year's I can't seem to tell from the specs

Thanks...
post #3193 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 02:29 AM

Mentioned: 746 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22734 Post(s)
Liked: 12381
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiedart View Post
Can any 3060 or 3050 owners out there tell me if those receivers will be a Sonic upgrade to my Marantz SR7008.
Im looking to upgrade primarily For 4K HDR pass through and hopefully for some extensive lower range bass room compensation better than they audyssey 32 does.
My system is currently the Marantz sr7008 with an emotiva upa700 amplifier.
Jbl studio l890 mains
Jbl studio l830 front wides
Jbl Lc2 center
Jbl studio l820 x4 side/rears
Svs pb1000 x2 subs.

Does the 3050 do the PEQ that the 3060 does and what is the main difference between last year's and this year's I can't seem to tell from the specs

Thanks...
Only the newer 2016 models include the new manual EQ down to 15Hz, however, as YPAO is still limited to only 31Hz, you would need to upgrade to a better quality mic (eg. UMM-6 or UMIK-1) and use additional software (eg. REW).
post #3194 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I purchased the Yamaha 1060 a few weeks ago and it has brought new life to my music and movies! It is a seriously good amp! My speakers are Klipsch RP280 and RP450 reference series LCR. Rears are polk audio. I have yet to purchase my atmos height speakers but were considering the AT IC6, Goldenear 650 or the klipsch CT 5800 or below.

Can anyone suggest which one I should go with?

Also I want to replace my rears, would bipoles work on the back wall for my atmos, have read that the rears need to be on the sides at 100 degrees. Hard to do for me as i have a converted garage.

thanks
post #3195 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hi guys. I feel dumb for asking, but could anyone confirm for me that you're running in Mode 1 with 2x 4K, HDR enabled devices connected to your 3060 and are having NO issues with HDCP handshaking?

We've been having nothing but problems over here between the receiver, TV (Sony 940) and projector (JVC RS620U). Things generally work properly when the HDMI mode is set to Mode 2, but things break down quickly when set to Mode 1. In Mode 2, movies throw up the warning message that the TV does not support HDR (both the TV and projector do support HDR). In mode 1, handshake issues seem to prevent any normal operation with the picture going in and out.

I'm about |--| this close to returning the receiver, but I'm hoping for a little more feedback. I know with new tech these things can be finicky, but this has all been an exercise in frustration.
post #3196 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Quoted: 3356 Post(s)
Liked: 8515
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajreynol View Post
Hi guys. I feel dumb for asking, but could anyone confirm for me that you're running in Mode 1 with 2x 4K, HDR enabled devices connected to your 3060 and are having NO issues with HDCP handshaking?

We've been having nothing but problems over here between the receiver, TV (Sony 940) and projector (JVC RS620U). Things generally work properly when the HDMI mode is set to Mode 2, but things break down quickly when set to Mode 1. In Mode 2, movies throw up the warning message that the TV does not support HDR (both the TV and projector do support HDR). In mode 1, handshake issues seem to prevent any normal operation with the picture going in and out.

I'm about |--| this close to returning the receiver, but I'm hoping for a little more feedback. I know with new tech these things can be finicky, but this has all been an exercise in frustration.
My RX-A3050 will pass 4K/UHD/HDR bluray simultaneously on both HDMI outs in 4K Mode 1
JVC X750 (RS500) and an LG 65B6P OLED without issue

But I have no need to run them both at the same time, except for cool photo's like this:

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #3197 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:

I have been having a similar issue. I have tried a Denon AVR-X3300W and an Onkyo TX-RZ810 and they all have had an issue with displaying a picture to my LG OLED 65G6P. I have found that the Yamaha is the best so far. One thing I have found is if I have the Receiver up convert everything to 4K I do not have as much trouble. Also I must turn things on in a certain order to get them to work properly usually TV last. I have ask on here but did not get an answer if you have the receiver upconverting to 4K and the source is already 4K does it just pass it through or does it do something to it. So far I can get everything that is native 4K to work but I can not get my Apple TV or PS4 to work. I have new certified HDMI cables coming tomorrow to see if that helps. My Current cables are guaranteed to 18 GBs but they are not certified. If I can not get my Apple TV or PS4 to work I will plug them straight into the TV and use Optical out to get sound to the receiver. I have no problem with a picture if the source is plugged straight into the TV. Also LG Signature support told me to turn the HDMI Control on at the TV as this has the TV look at a wider band width coming from the cable and should improve the HDCP reading. I hope this helps.
post #3198 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 02:09 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartagnan_007 View Post
I have been having a similar issue. I have tried a Denon AVR-X3300W and an Onkyo TX-RZ810 and they all have had an issue with displaying a picture to my LG OLED 65G6P. I have found that the Yamaha is the best so far. One thing I have found is if I have the Receiver up convert everything to 4K I do not have as much trouble. Also I must turn things on in a certain order to get them to work properly usually TV last. I have ask on here but did not get an answer if you have the receiver upconverting to 4K and the source is already 4K does it just pass it through or does it do something to it. So far I can get everything that is native 4K to work but I can not get my Apple TV or PS4 to work. I have new certified HDMI cables coming tomorrow to see if that helps. My Current cables are guaranteed to 18 GBs but they are not certified. If I can not get my Apple TV or PS4 to work I will plug them straight into the TV and use Optical out to get sound to the receiver. I have no problem with a picture if the source is plugged straight into the TV. Also LG Signature support told me to turn the HDMI Control on at the TV as this has the TV look at a wider band width coming from the cable and should improve the HDCP reading. I hope this helps.
It does help. I also have a Marantz SR 7011 coming so I'll be able to see if that doesn't interact better.

It's just frustrating as this has been a daily saga for literally 2 weeks. I sort of forgot that when playing at the bleeding edge of technology, you are prone to getting cut and have to deal with quirks and bugs that more mature technologies have long since sorted out. Having to turn things on in a special order is something I haven't had to deal with in ages, but as you mention, that's something that I have to do with the Yamaha to get any sort of stable performance. And if I switch the HDMI outs to Mode 1...tends to be disastrous. And yet without being able to make Mode 1 work, HDR can't work.

Anyway, we'll see what happens in the next couple of days when we slide in and test out the Marantz. I'll post results and continue to try to find a way to make the Yamaha work. It sounds fantastic, but it doesn't matter how good it sounds if the video comes and goes as it pleases, when it pleases.
post #3199 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 02:40 PM

Quote:
It does help. I also have a Marantz SR 7011 coming so I'll be able to see if that doesn't interact better.

It's just frustrating as this has been a daily saga for literally 2 weeks. I sort of forgot that when playing at the bleeding edge of technology, you are prone to getting cut and have to deal with quirks and bugs that more mature technologies have long since sorted out. Having to turn things on in a special order is something I haven't had to deal with in ages, but as you mention, that's something that I have to do with the Yamaha to get any sort of stable performance. And if I switch the HDMI outs to Mode 1...tends to be disastrous. And yet without being able to make Mode 1 work, HDR can't work.

Anyway, we'll see what happens in the next couple of days when we slide in and test out the Marantz. I'll post results and continue to try to find a way to make the Yamaha work. It sounds fantastic, but it doesn't matter how good it sounds if the video comes and goes as it pleases, when it pleases.
Yeah I have nto had to deal with something like this in many years. I do have mine working in Mode 1 but since I put it in this mode my Apple TV and PS4 will not show up. My Hopper 3, Xbox One S, FireTV 4K and my old Roku 3 work although the Roku usually requires me to turn the TV off and Back on or hit the On Screen Display button on the Yamaha remote. Tomorrow I am swapping the ROKU out for the Roku Ultra which is 4K so we will see. Good luck with the Marantz and let me know how it goes.
post #3200 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 03:22 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3880 Post(s)
Liked: 3120
Quote:

STOP, and do nothing else till you replace all HDMI cables in the system with new Certified Premium cables. MUST be Certified Premium.
richlife and hdfonz like this.
post #3201 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 03:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked: 263
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
STOP, and do nothing else till you replace all HDMI cables in the system with new Certified Premium cables. MUST be Certified Premium.
This. This. This.

And if your run to the projector is longer than 20' get a fibre optic HDMI cable (example: Celerity) and be done with it.

(Take a note of my equipment below. It's behaving quite nicely with the 2060 in Mode 1 with certified cables connecting everything to the AVR and a fibre cable to the display.)

post #3202 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
Thanks for the info. I am currently at a stand still until my Certified cables get here tomorrow. I will let everyone know the results with the new cables.
post #3203 of 7205 Old 02-16-2017, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Only the newer 2016 models include the new manual EQ down to 15Hz, however, as YPAO is still limited to only 31Hz, you would need to upgrade to a better quality mic (eg. UMM-6 or UMIK-1) and use additional software (eg. REW).

is is there a consensus on the rxa 3050 vs this year's rxa 2060?

Pros/cons...

Which one is the better value
post #3204 of 7205 Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
what's the best audio signal path? After reading and searching, I'm still unsure as to what's the best approach in interconnection the audio. Is the best route to just use HDMI inputs with PCM/Bitstream enabled on the output source or am I better off going with SPDIF(Coax) on the devices that have that. If I'm understanding things correctly TosLink doesn't have the bandwidth for Atmos.
post #3205 of 7205 Old 02-17-2017, 11:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reburg99 View Post
what's the best audio signal path? After reading and searching, I'm still unsure as to what's the best approach in interconnection the audio. Is the best route to just use HDMI inputs with PCM/Bitstream enabled on the output source or am I better off going with SPDIF(Coax) on the devices that have that. If I'm understanding things correctly TosLink doesn't have the bandwidth for Atmos.
Use HDMI. And at this point in life and technology, use only Certified Premium High Speed cables. They are only $4-5 at Monoprice and Amazon. Without them you are begging for problems now and in the future. Replace ALL your HDMI cables. Read back just a few posts -- "just be done with it".

post #3206 of 7205 Old 02-17-2017, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quick question for YPAO setup with RX-A3060.

If I am running only 5.1 do I want to run the Angle/Height measurement module? Just picked up my 3060 and will setup this evening. Thanks.

Man Cave HT: Yamaha RX-A3060 | Chane A5RX-C | Chane A2.4 | Chane A1.4 | HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP
post #3207 of 7205 Old 02-17-2017, 12:49 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Thanks Richlife and will do!
post #3208 of 7205 Old 02-17-2017, 04:04 PM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammonje View Post
Quick question for YPAO setup with RX-A3060.

If I am running only 5.1 do I want to run the Angle/Height measurement module? Just picked up my 3060 and will setup this evening. Thanks.
Yes, I think you do - I cannot think of any reason not to run angle/height - I believe that YPAO will calibrate for height/angle of all speakers
post #3209 of 7205 Old 02-17-2017, 06:32 PM

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked: 1408
Quote:
Originally Posted by iang153 View Post
Yes, I think you do - I cannot think of any reason not to run angle/height - I believe that YPAO will calibrate for height/angle of all speakers
Angle + height should definitely help most setups which have the center channel below a TV and left / right mains with the tweeters a foot or two above it. That would allow more control over the sound panning on the front sound stage, vertically as well as horizontally. Not to mention that many people place their surrounds at a wide range of heights and orientations, either behind the couch, or off to the sides, of up on a bookshelf. 3D speaker positioning is a great feature, on its face. It's safe that other receiver manufacturers haven't clued in to this yet, and maybe never will (until people demand it they have no reason to).

All people will get is less optimized and accurate 3D sound fields, but hey, it's not like they pay a lot of money for other brands' products which can't do that...oh wait
post #3210 of 7205 Old 02-17-2017, 11:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 300 Post(s)
Quoted: 3356 Post(s)
Liked: 8515
Wink

The YPAO angle measurement is azimuth only (on the horizontal plane)
The Height measurement is for presence speakers ONLY.

The combination of Angle + Azimuth positions the presence speakers in relation to the MLP
for accurate 3D positioning for DSP effects and that's where it ends.

Sadly, It's not even a factor for Atmos or DTS:X or their respective up-mixers (DSU or Neural:X)

You don't have to believe me,
but I have been a Hard-Core Yamaha owner/fanboy since 1980.

My approximate room/speaker dimensions...

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page