The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 141 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33137Likes

post #4201 of 7182 Old 04-22-2017, 03:04 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grenin View Post
A search of this thread would have given you the answer to this. Unfortunately only the 2060 or 3060 feature dual sub EQ.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
😭😭😭😭 yes should have read the fine print. I was in a hurry since my whole entertainment system was down when my Denon stopped working after only a couple of years, so I switched to Yamaha and now it will need to spend even more just to eq my subs correctly. Lesson learned
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4202 of 7182 Old 04-22-2017, 04:01 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
Sounds like a good plan. One tip, the minidsp allows its own set of filters that are separate to that of what YPAO sets. So if you are going to be using any filters on the minidsp, you may want to disable the YPAO one. It's a little tedious as you have to manually copy every setting, so see what works best for you.
Ben... what about this other approach... that will not allow YPAO to apply any filters to the Sub...

Run YPAO without a Sub (knowing beforehand what YPAO did to distance and levels)... then, after YPAO runs, manually add a Sub... and then use miniDSP or other EQ solution to EQ the Sub... make sense?

I will be receiving next week a used the Audyssey equivalent of the AS-EQ1 (their version) that I found at a great price. I plan to record the Sub Level and Distance YPAO already calculated... and then use the approach mentioned with a 120Hz crossover applied at first so the XT32 Sub Auto Eq do its things up to 120Hz so I can then adjust the cross over setting on the AVR between 80-120 as I need... makes sense this taking into account your miniDSP experience with YPAO?

Last edited by jm10; 04-22-2017 at 04:13 PM.
post #4203 of 7182 Old 04-22-2017, 04:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 484 Post(s)
Liked: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockNtroll View Post
😭😭😭😭 yes should have read the fine print. I was in a hurry since my whole entertainment system was down when my Denon stopped working after only a couple of years, so I switched to Yamaha and now it will need to spend even more just to eq my subs correctly. Lesson learned
you can get a mini dsp for your subs and get them eq better then the yamaha could do
jm10 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4204 of 7182 Old 04-22-2017, 04:49 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 100 Post(s)
Quoted: 4470 Post(s)
Liked: 5816
Quote:
Don't worry about it. Most of us are happy to answer reasonable questions, as yours was, even if the questioner didn't search the thread first.
ChromeJob likes this.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #4205 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 12:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm10 View Post
Ben... what about this other approach... that will not allow YPAO to apply any filters to the Sub...

Run YPAO without a Sub (knowing beforehand what YPAO did to distance and levels)... then, after YPAO runs, manually add a Sub... and then use miniDSP or other EQ solution to EQ the Sub... make sense?

I will be receiving next week a used the Audyssey equivalent of the AS-EQ1 (their version) that I found at a great price. I plan to record the Sub Level and Distance YPAO already calculated... and then use the approach mentioned with a 120Hz crossover applied at first so the XT32 Sub Auto Eq do its things up to 120Hz so I can then adjust the cross over setting on the AVR between 80-120 as I need... makes sense this taking into account your miniDSP experience with YPAO?
Interesting idea. I've never tried this approach because I barely do EQ above 100hz anymore. Fortunately for my room, the RSC filters weren't really needed as I just needed to tame the 5khz - 8khz region with a few -db cuts. A subtle adjustment just to get that sweet spot for me.

That said, I don't think the filters that you can set on the minidsp (or the AS-EQ1 in your case) are the same at all for YPAO. I mean, the resolution is different already but I'm unsure of how big of a difference that makes. If you don't hear any abnormalities within your soundstage, I think your idea will work fine.

For reference, my setup with YPAO is fairly simple;
1) Use YPAO and let it calculate delays/distance, levels and the initial PEQ pre-set it comes up with. Just for fun, the Natural pre-set actually sounded very decent to my ears.
2) Bass manage by setting my crossovers to 90hz for all channels, I know 80hz is the general standard - but 90hz is simply just the sweet spot in my room.
3) Use REW and a UMIK-1 mic to measure my room/system response; check where the regions are the most problematic - for my case, at 31hz, 45-55hz and 5khz-8khz.
4) Use YPAO manual without copying any of the PEQ presets, with the info I got from REW - do some adjustments at 5khz-8khz and just a slight bump at around 300hz.
5) Connect minidsp, EQ my subs - particularly at the 31hz, 45-55hz and just a slight cut at around 21hz.

It obviously did take a bit of time to learn how to use REW, but honestly it was fairly simple - just a lot of options to go through. I know I can eek out somemore from my system by setting custom filters, but I haven't found the time to do so.
gwsat and jm10 like this.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
post #4206 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Today is going to be exciting for me. Finally after drooling for 3 months my Sony XBR-65 A1E Oled is coming today. I put together a nice sound system but didn't really go through all the Video adjustments in my receiver the A2060.
This TV is to die for....just want to make sure I am getting 4-K and HDR through the receiver back to the TV through my HDMI input.
So in the Video section on the receiver will the default settings get me there?
There is the following settings....
Video mode....Direct or Processing....Direct is the default
Aspect....Through or 16.9 normal....Through is default
Resolution....Through or Auto.....Auto is default
HDMI Control.....off or on......Off is default
or is there other setting I should be looking at?
post #4207 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 08:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 522
Honestly, for the vast majority of people Direct is best - the AVR just passes the signal through. Make any adjustments to PQ on the TV. HDMI Control is more of a personal choice. It can cause a lot of confusion. I have a Harmony remote so always make sure it's of on all devices, but if you don't have a universal, programmable remote you might want to give it a go, but be prepared for problems.
richlife likes this.
post #4208 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 08:54 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Also make sure your HDMI video format is set to Mode 1( default is Mode 2) Instructions for doing so are on page 155 of the owner's manual.
richlife likes this.
post #4209 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 AM

Ok sounds good thanks for the help.....it's going to be a fun couple days setting the tv up....good thing I am retired don't have to think about at work...
richlife likes this.
post #4210 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 10:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
Honestly, for the vast majority of people Direct is best - the AVR just passes the signal through. Make any adjustments to PQ on the TV. HDMI Control is more of a personal choice. It can cause a lot of confusion. I have a Harmony remote so always make sure it's of on all devices, but if you don't have a universal, programmable remote you might want to give it a go, but be prepared for problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therberg View Post
Also make sure your HDMI video format is set to Mode 1( default is Mode 2) Instructions for doing so are on page 155 of the owner's manual.
I completely agree -- you can verify or mess around later. Set the Mode 1 if needed, note your Setup using Manual, save your latest Setup and run YPAO first off. That new tv has some weird stuff like an angled screen and it "talks". I would want to see if that affects your existing settings.

I need to run YPAO again myself. Minor changes in my room, new info gleaned from this and other threads (thanks folks!), and I have not run YPAO since moving from 55" to 65" tv <slap wrist>. In addition, I have some other things I want to test. Most of my saved YPAO settings were for safety backup as I updated my HT. Now I want to see if my several room options will justify changing my Setup to a saved Backup when I vary those options (blinds down vs blind up for example). There are also furniture and people options vs single MLP that I'd like to check. (Those who have a dedicated HT can setup and enjoy. But with a "living" room, I want to see if the simple expedient of changing to a different Setup Backup might matter. It IS a hobby, right?)

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #4211 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 10:47 AM

Video only just called going to be here in a couple hrs....Very expensive TV......changed to mode 1 AND set to direct.....have to take old tv out soon....the Sony xbr-65 a1e is a big jump up...$5500
post #4212 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey guys new 1060 owner here. I am getting things setup and running into a brick wall here. I can't seem to get the video working through HDMI out. I can't even get into the "on screen menu". Which is very frustrating because there is no advanced menu on the unit. I scrolled through the instruction manual and you have to setup each device for hdmi through the on screen menu. Not sure what to do. When I have my ps4 hooked up I can hear the audio coming from it but I still have a black screen. Any suggestions would be awesome.
post #4213 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 02:12 PM

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomslice View Post
Hey guys new 1060 owner here. I am getting things setup and running into a brick wall here. I can't seem to get the video working through HDMI out. I can't even get into the "on screen menu". Which is very frustrating because there is no advanced menu on the unit. I scrolled through the instruction manual and you have to setup each device for hdmi through the on screen menu. Not sure what to do. When I have my ps4 hooked up I can hear the audio coming from it but I still have a black screen. Any suggestions would be awesome.
Try a different cable.
post #4214 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 02:46 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 467 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfoxvtx View Post
Today is going to be exciting for me. Finally after drooling for 3 months my Sony XBR-65 A1E Oled is coming today. I put together a nice sound system but didn't really go through all the Video adjustments in my receiver the A2060.
This TV is to die for....just want to make sure I am getting 4-K and HDR through the receiver back to the TV through my HDMI input.
So in the Video section on the receiver will the default settings get me there?
There is the following settings....
Video mode....Direct or Processing....Direct is the default
Aspect....Through or 16.9 normal....Through is default
Resolution....Through or Auto.....Auto is default
HDMI Control.....off or on......Off is default
or is there other setting I should be looking at?
... Do you have mixed emotions regarding what sound system you are going to use ? There has been a very small amount of Audio Discussion over in the A1E Owner's Thread but most discussion has been mostly all Video Content. I've asked a couple of times in the A1E Thread about the Audio System but it has mostly fallen on "deaf ears". I'm sure in time as more owners try out different Video and Audio Settings there will be input about the display's Audio. It will be interesting to see how many that have dedicated sound systems use the Display's Audio System and how many end up using the dedicated sound system. Regardless, I wish you much fun and entertainment with your new audio and video systems !

Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha 3060, Oppo 203, Oppo 103D, LG 65E7P, Sony UBP-X800
post #4215 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 02:55 PM

@Ben Tan -- As both an AX060 and REW guy, you can probably answer a question that I had come up this afternoon. I connected my Macbook Pro running REW to my 3060 by running an HDMI cable between my MBP and the 3060's front HDMI port. REW couldn't see the receiver and when I did a scan REW sent the test tones for the scan to my MBP's sound card, rather than to my AV system's speakers. Can you suggest what I did wrong and how I might correct it so that REW sees the available channels and plays its test tones through my speakers? Any suggestions others of you might have would also be gratefully received, of course.

HT setup: Sony 75XBR X940D UHD HDR TV; Kaleidescape Strato Movie Server 6 TB and Terra Server 24 TB; Yamaha RX-A3060 AV receiver; Sonamp 2-1 2channel 100W power amp; Crestron Control System; 2 Rythmik FV18 subwoofers, 6 Hsu HB-1 Bookshelf speakers, 1 Hsu HC-1 Center speaker, 4 Focal ICW8 in-ceiling Atmos speakers; Oppo UDP-203 4K HDR BD player. TiVO Bolt 1TB DVR; TiVo Premiere Elite 2 TB DVR; Roku Premiere+; Apple TV 4K
post #4216 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 04:32 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
Try a different cable.
Yep, I'm an idiot. Cable was working fine when running pc to tv but was not working through the AV. Plugged in a different cable and it works fine.
richlife and yanks1 like this.
post #4217 of 7182 Old 04-23-2017, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked: 3085
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomslice View Post
Yep, I'm an idiot. Cable was working fine when running pc to tv but was not working through the AV. Plugged in a different cable and it works fine.
FWIW, you can also access every setting possible via the web setup interface. Its not pretty or very intuitive, but it works well.
richlife likes this.
post #4218 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 01:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
@Ben Tan -- As both an AX060 and REW guy, you can probably answer a question that I had come up this afternoon. I connected my Macbook Pro running REW to my 3060 by running an HDMI cable between my MBP and the 3060's front HDMI port. REW couldn't see the receiver and when I did a scan REW sent the test tones for the scan to my MBP's sound card, rather than to my AV system's speakers. Can you suggest what I did wrong and how I might correct it so that REW sees the available channels and plays its test tones through my speakers? Any suggestions others of you might have would also be gratefully received, of course.
It sounds like your default audio device is set to your MBP instead of your HDMI out (which would be the receiver), which is why REW is seeing the MBP instead.

I don't have a mac, so unfortunately I cannot guide you on the system settings step-by-step. But is there an option on your MBP where you can passthrough ALL audio to your receiver by forcing the HDMI out to be the default connection? In Windows, this can be done via the sound settings. Is there anything similar on the mac?
gwsat likes this.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP
post #4219 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
It sounds like your default audio device is set to your MBP instead of your HDMI out (which would be the receiver), which is why REW is seeing the MBP instead.

I don't have a mac, so unfortunately I cannot guide you on the system settings step-by-step. But is there an option on your MBP where you can passthrough ALL audio to your receiver by forcing the HDMI out to be the default connection? In Windows, this can be done via the sound settings. Is there anything similar on the mac?
That was what it was and it's now fixed. Thanks! You use the Sound settings in Mac OS too.

post #4220 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by music first View Post
This is not a major issue but I wanted to see if anyone else noticed it. When playing Pandora this morning, I noticed the little white dot that tracks the time of the song shows up for a but 5 seconds then disappears. The time also randomly resets to 0:00 every few seconds. Strange...
Man... I haven't listened to Pandora in a while (usually Spotify or SXM IR). I didn't have any issues with it though...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #4221 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
Man... I haven't listened to Pandora in a while (usually Spotify or SXM IR). I didn't have any issues with it though...

Thanks - There is definitely a glitch with my 3060
VARTV likes this.

Main system | Sony 930D 65 inch | Yamaha RX-A3060 | Ascend Acoustics towers RAAL | Custom Ascend Horizon center | Rythmik F12 | Oppo BDP105 | Lenovo Windows 10 PC with Jriver media server streaming FLAC and WAV files | Surrounds - Def Tech Pro Monitor 1000s

Secondary system : Yamaha RX V2500 | Philharmonic AA bookshelf speakers.
post #4222 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 04:03 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 1
A1060 Decoding

Hello!

I am having trouble with the decoding. I have a PS4 and when I plug it in and select INFO on the remote it shows PCM instead of the expected DTS.

When testing with movies on my HTPC ATMOS movies will show as NEO:6 Cinema. DTS will show as DTS. DTS-HD will only show DTS.

I feel like I am doing something wrong. The old Onkyo would always display appropriately. Anyone point me to what I am missing?
post #4223 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music first View Post
Thanks - There is definitely a glitch with my 3060
Disconnect unit from power for various minutes and re-check,
post #4224 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audial View Post
Hello!

I am having trouble with the decoding. I have a PS4 and when I plug it in and select INFO on the remote it shows PCM instead of the expected DTS.

When testing with movies on my HTPC ATMOS movies will show as NEO:6 Cinema. DTS will show as DTS. DTS-HD will only show DTS.

I feel like I am doing something wrong. The old Onkyo would always display appropriately. Anyone point me to what I am missing?
You are not bit-streaming from the PS. Check your settings.
post #4225 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Wait... the back photo shows 2 subs outputs.... you mean, control them individually? I know they are wired in parallel.

Anyway, if you have 2 subs.. I would recommend you look for miniDSP or other EQ solution for multisubs as you might get more of them by doing that.
post #4226 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 05:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm10 View Post
Wait... the back photo shows 2 subs outputs.... you mean, control them individually? I know they are wired in parallel.

Anyway, if you have 2 subs.. I would recommend you look for miniDSP or other EQ solution for multisubs as you might get more of them by doing that.
Yes I wanted to control individually just like my old Denon did. Guess I will have to get a minidsp and play with that.
post #4227 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 10:31 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluechunks View Post
Sounds like you are not watching much 4K content so leave the Yamaha in "Mode 2" and turn off the video processing in the Yamaha and let your devices send their native data to the TV.

Just so you are not surprised later, even "certified" cables generally fail when trying to transmit 4K/60 over long (>15ft) distances. You should be fine with 1080p at that distance.
Ugh, installed new certified cable - no improvement. Updated firmware, no improvement. Put receiver in mode 2 (actually, it was already there but I switched to mode 1 for a while to see if that was any better) no improvement. I also turned off that TV sense feature where it will match the resolution of the TV and limited it to 1080p, I still get dropouts.

TLDR- 25 foot certified hdmi cable and I get audio and video dropouts fairly regularly and it's irritating as all hell. And it happens on all sources, even my directv box that isn't 4k anyway.

Any suggestions for warranty service (ie getting the outcome I desire)? Hopefully they have a repair center in Southern California somewhere, I don't even want to think about packing that thing up in a box and paying for shipping. Looks like the warranty is 3 years and the customer service center is in Buena Park, which is very close to me.
post #4228 of 7182 Old 04-24-2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse View Post
Ugh, installed new certified cable - no improvement. Updated firmware, no improvement. Put receiver in mode 2 (actually, it was already there but I switched to mode 1 for a while to see if that was any better) no improvement. I also turned off that TV sense feature where it will match the resolution of the TV and limited it to 1080p, I still get dropouts.

TLDR- 25 foot certified hdmi cable and I get audio and video dropouts fairly regularly and it's irritating as all hell. And it happens on all sources, even my directv box that isn't 4k anyway.

Any suggestions for warranty service (ie getting the outcome I desire)? Hopefully they have a repair center in Southern California somewhere, I don't even want to think about packing that thing up in a box and paying for shipping. Looks like the warranty is 3 years and the customer service center is in Buena Park, which is very close to me.
Have you considered the possibility that the TV is the issue? Also have you tried moving your avr closer to the TV to see if the cable distance or how it's being routed is the issue(think interference bends etc)? One misbehaving HDMI device could also cause this sort of issue because of all the handshaking/copy protection stuff going on these days. Just trying to help you think of other things to troubleshoot. Your dealer is your best bet for help with your warranty. They may even just swap your unit out for a new one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
mavang likes this.

Last edited by Grenin; 04-24-2017 at 10:48 PM.
post #4229 of 7182 Old 04-25-2017, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
That was what it was and it's now fixed. Thanks! You use the Sound settings in Mac OS too.
Great! Glad that worked out for you. Now I hope you get to where you want with the minidsp, lots of things to tinker with. My only advice is not to get too anal over every single little thing. Remember, EQ the most important and problematic region(s), that will get you to about 90% of your overall system's performance.

Dual Rythmik FV15HP
post #4230 of 7182 Old 04-25-2017, 12:35 AM

Mentioned: 739 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22557 Post(s)
Liked: 12278
Quote:
Originally Posted by audial View Post
Hello!

While Atmos BD is playing, on the PS4 hit OPTIONS – Audio Settings - “bitstream”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page