The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33131Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 7127 Old 05-26-2016, 11:06 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks for the info jdsmoothie! I am leaving for the airport and will be out of town a few days, but will look into these options when I get back from my trip. Thanks for the helpful info.
TXBoiler is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 7127 Old 05-26-2016, 12:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 16
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 1
It's about time to upgrade my current Yamaha RX-V3900 to something that can handle HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. I have a 5.1 setup, and I don't plan to expand the speaker setup. Is there any reason to consider the RX-A3060 or RX-A2060 versus the cheaper RX-A1060?
brianshowers is offline  
post #33 of 7127 Old 05-26-2016, 01:31 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22043 Post(s)
Liked: 11958
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshowers View Post
It's about time to upgrade my current Yamaha RX-V3900 to something that can handle HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. I have a 5.1 setup, and I don't plan to expand the speaker setup. Is there any reason to consider the RX-A3060 or RX-A2060 versus the cheaper RX-A1060?
More features to include dual Sub EQ, better audio quality (A3060), and powered Zone 2/3.
richlife likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #34 of 7127 Old 05-26-2016, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22043 Post(s)
Liked: 11958
Looks like the A760 is the first A60 series model to hit the streets. This thread's models: A1060 ETA late June/early July and A2060/A3060 - ETA still July.
Madmax67 likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #35 of 7127 Old 05-26-2016, 03:53 PM
Member
 
tomtoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pensacola
Posts: 70
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffjim4069 View Post
No worries...my new 3050 arrived just weeks ago and I'm pretty darn happy since my last HT upgrade was the RX-V3300. To be honest, the 3300 was a workhorse 7.1 HT receiver driving my Klipsch KLF speakers the past 12-years...a setup that is still better than 99% of the stuff on the market. Alas, having a networked HT receiver and being able to play my Spotify playlists without having to use the aweful Spotify app on my Tivo is breath of fresh-air. Yep, I too saw where the 3060 is being released...but I'm good to go for the next 5-years. I also picked-up four new Klipsch RF-7 II reference speakers along with a new R-112SW subwoofer to the 3300 is being moved into the bedroom to replace the now 17-year old RX-V2095. The bottom line is the RX-A3050 is a welcomed addition and will have a good home for years to come...even though it's now outdated technology.
I have a couple rf-7 II models as front with RX-V3900, and speakers seem to not perform very well or with full range. Wondering how they would do in my home theater with new 3050 or 3060 model, as i remember after buying the 3900 that the bench test results were awful in 5.1 mode.
tomtoo is offline  
post #36 of 7127 Old 05-26-2016, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,198
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3184 Post(s)
Liked: 7777
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtoo View Post
I have a couple rf-7 II models as front with RX-V3900, and speakers seem to not perform very well or with full range. Wondering how they would do in my home theater with new 3050 or 3060 model, as i remember after buying the 3900 that the bench test results were awful in 5.1 mode.
I had no issues running 7.1 with my RX-V3900,
but my system was bass managed with all speakers set to small,
..despite having full range capable Front Towers. My crossovers set to 80Hz for all speakers
and let my 4 powered subs (the Real work horses) take the lions share of the load off my AVR.
2400w/4800w Dynamic Bass power > forcing an AVR with a 500watt power supply to play <80Hz.

I recently upgraded to an RX-A3050 for Atmos/DTS:X
(in addition to HDMI 2.0a and HDMI 2.2 HDCP for future 4K/HDR upgrades)

My old RX-V3900 powers my 4 presence (Height) speakers acting as a 4ch amp (multi channel inputs)
So the new RX-A3050 only drives my 7 bed layer speakers (2 towers and 5 bookshelf)
without issue and a Ton of headroom by utilizing Bass Management to send the <80Hz frequencies to my 4 powered subs.

If you're considering a 7.2.4 Atmos setup, you will need to add at least 2 channels of external amplification
So if you prefer to run your L/R Front towers as Full range, put a dedicated 2ch Amp on those,
and let the 3050 drive the remaining channels crossed at 80Hz and it would be fine.

The only reason I can see an RX-A3050 coming up short is if you don't want to use a good sub(s)
proper use of Bass Management, and are trying to drive 7 full range towers that have crap efficiency in a huge room.

You would be shocked just how many get the simplest steps wrong.

Bass management 101

If anyone thinks its bad when an AVR drops from 140wpc to 70wpc with all channels driven
with a torture test sine wave load is seriously miss-informed. The SPL difference is only 3dB

First, multi channel movies will never drive all channels simultaneously with the same signal
Second, even if they did it for a brief second, 140 watts is not twice as loud as 70 watts.
To get twice the sound level (SPL), would require 10x more power...700 watts, not 140.

If you really think you need 140 watts x 5 or 7 channels (for a 3dB gain)
get a dedicated external amp because NO AVR delivers that kind of power on its own.


The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 05-27-2016 at 07:01 AM.
PioManiac is offline  
post #37 of 7127 Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member
 
wackid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 75
So what is difference on the a3060 and a3050?

The a3050 was introduced not a long time ago as successor on the 3040.

Edit;
Found a difference : calibration 64 bit?

Never mind... Found my answers in the thread.

Panasonic TX-P65VTW60 | Panasonic DMP-BDT500 | Asus Chromebox OpenELEC triple boot | Pioneer SC-LX89 | 6 X Monitor Audio Apex 10 | Canton Chrono SL 590 black | Klipsch R-115W | BK Sub XXLS400 | Zalman HTPC | Harmony Ultimate

Last edited by wackid; 05-31-2016 at 06:38 AM.
wackid is offline  
post #38 of 7127 Old 05-31-2016, 06:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 6,198
Mentioned: 264 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3184 Post(s)
Liked: 7777
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackid View Post
So what is difference on the a3060 and a3050?

The a3050 was introduced not a long time ago as successor on the 3040.

Edit;
Found a difference : calibration 64 bit?
There's a full list of specs on the previous page.
and more info here: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...16-models.html

Yamaha has been consistently releasing a new series EVERY year.
(as do most major brands) ....

2013 3030/2030/1030
2014 3040/2040/1040
2015 3050/2050/1050
2016 3060/2060/1060

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #39 of 7127 Old 05-31-2016, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
billmich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 1,868
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrenalin View Post
Why would they remove Apple USB support? Seems foolish to me.
same with removing HD radio in their xx50 models
kitti and Madmax67 like this.
billmich is offline  
post #40 of 7127 Old 06-09-2016, 06:59 PM
Member
 
skinnydoggy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I was wanting a Denon or Marantz, now that I've read about the new YPAO, I'm in. Sounds like it's ahead of Audyssey with its axis based eqing
lloyd_friesen likes this.
skinnydoggy is offline  
post #41 of 7127 Old 06-13-2016, 11:03 AM
Member
 
flay008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Second Amp for 7.1.4

What amp is needed to add 2ch to the 3060 ?
I have a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver can it be use for adding the 2 channel ?
flay008 is offline  
post #42 of 7127 Old 06-14-2016, 01:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,772
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by flay008 View Post
I have a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver can it be use for adding the 2 channel ?
Yes
Bond 007 is offline  
post #43 of 7127 Old 07-12-2016, 12:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
So here we go again. My current AVR is the RX-A820. Got a bargain price just before the A830 came out. I wasn't really disappointed by not having the 830, but had serious second thoughts about not forking out for the A1020. Last night after watching "Hell on Wheels", I turned on some music and started playing around with the sound on the A820 for the first time since getting new LR furniture last week. I was again very impressed with the A820, but decided on the spot that it was time for a full upgrade.

So here I am having decided to move on to a new RX-A1060 and figured I would ask for any thoughts or information from those who helped me get the A820 setup originally.

Edit: Getting great help from JD and from re-reading some of the posts in detail rather than skimming.

And PioManiac, many thanks for the Bass Management 101. I know a lot, but BigDaddy knows more.

Last edited by richlife; 07-13-2016 at 10:52 PM.
richlife is offline  
post #44 of 7127 Old 07-14-2016, 09:36 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,039
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6407
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #45 of 7127 Old 07-15-2016, 04:01 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ben Tan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
So here we go again. My current AVR is the RX-A820. Got a bargain price just before the A830 came out. I wasn't really disappointed by not having the 830, but had serious second thoughts about not forking out for the A1020. Last night after watching "Hell on Wheels", I turned on some music and started playing around with the sound on the A820 for the first time since getting new LR furniture last week. I was again very impressed with the A820, but decided on the spot that it was time for a full upgrade.

So here I am having decided to move on to a new RX-A1060 and figured I would ask for any thoughts or information from those who helped me get the A820 setup originally.

Edit: Getting great help from JD and from re-reading some of the posts in detail rather than skimming.

And PioManiac, many thanks for the Bass Management 101. I know a lot, but BigDaddy knows more.
The configuration from the Ax20 series to the latest Ax60 series hasn't actually changed much. What you know from the 820 applies to the 1060.

You will have a few more new features that is only available on the A1060 series of course, but they're all pretty straight forward.
richlife likes this.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
Ben Tan is offline  
post #46 of 7127 Old 07-15-2016, 06:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
The configuration from the Ax20 series to the latest Ax60 series hasn't actually changed much. What you know from the 820 applies to the 1060.

You will have a few more new features that is only available on the A1060 series of course, but they're all pretty straight forward.
That was my thought also. But having gone all in with the decision, I'm strongly considering making it an A2060. Much as you said, but some significant additional options. I can really take advantage of the Zone 2/3/4. And once you get to thinking that way, it's hard to back off again.

Last edited by richlife; 07-15-2016 at 08:04 AM.
richlife is offline  
post #47 of 7127 Old 07-15-2016, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ben Tan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
That was my thought also. But having gone all in with the decision, I'm strongly considering making it an A2060. Much as you said, but some significant additional options. I can really take advantage of the Zone 2/3/4. And once you get to thinking that way, it's hard to back off again.
Well the money is in your hands. Get the best you can afford, the A2060 would be a good choice indeed and would generally be my sweet spot recommendation if one doesn't need the 11 channel processing from the A3xxx series.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
Ben Tan is offline  
post #48 of 7127 Old 07-15-2016, 08:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
enricoclaudio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,568
Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3657 Post(s)
Liked: 4392
Hi guys. I have a customer in Italy who recently got a pair of Rythmik Audio F12SEs subwoofers from us and he sent me an email this morning to let us know that during YPAO calibration both subwoofers played a high pitched noise instead of the usual rumble test tone. Weird thing is that after YPAO, if he plays music or movies the subwoofers work just fine and sound great. Does any one here knows about this issue happening before? I think I read several years ago about something like this and if I recall, was caused by very high input gain send to the subwoofers.

Enrico Castagnetti @ Rythmik Audio - Dialing In Rythmik Audio Subwoofers - REW for macOS
Media Room: Sierra Towers w/RAAL, Horizon w/RAAL, Sierra 2s & Lunas | Rythmik F12SE(x2) + FV25HP | Denon X6500H | Panny 820 + ATV 4K | Bluesound Node 2 | 92" Stewart ST100 | Sony VW295ES |
Desktop: Dynaudio BM5 mkIII | Rythmik L22 | Apogee Quartet | 27" iMac| Bedroom: B&W 685 S2 | Rythmik LVX12 | Marantz SR6013 | Sony X700 + ATV 4K | Sony XBR-65Z9D |
enricoclaudio is offline  
post #49 of 7127 Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,772
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by enricoclaudio View Post
Hi guys. I have a customer in Italy who recently got a pair of Rythmik Audio F12SEs subwoofers from us and he sent me an email this morning to let us know that during YPAO calibration both subwoofers played a high pitched noise instead of the usual rumble test tone. Weird thing is that after YPAO, if he plays music or movies the subwoofers work just fine and sound great. Does any one here knows about this issue happening before? I think I read several years ago about something like this and if I recall, was caused by very high input gain send to the subwoofers.
My LV12r with multiple Yamahas (675, A740, A2030) makes a "doink doink doink" sound (rather than boom boom boom). More like something youd expect from a speaker rather than a sub. But it sounds great playing.
Yamahas are generally known for weak sub out signals.

Last edited by Bond 007; 07-15-2016 at 09:13 AM.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #50 of 7127 Old 07-15-2016, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Anton G A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 36
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianshowers View Post
It's about time to upgrade my current Yamaha RX-V3900 to something that can handle HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. I have a 5.1 setup, and I don't plan to expand the speaker setup. Is there any reason to consider the RX-A3060 or RX-A2060 versus the cheaper RX-A1060?
The 3060 has the DSP horse power to do a lot of things nicely with systems that are absent a true 4K bluray and Atmos presence speakers,
and it's built for the future if & when you do decide to upgrade those two pieces.

The 3060 will do virtual presence speaker and 4K up-scaling and I can testify that it does it superbly.

Just picked one up yesterday and the dynamic range of this AV receiver is a masterful thing to behold.
Even with the ECO mode enabled, my Def Techs sound like nothing I've ever experienced before with my 5 year old Pio Elite.

My system consists of a 'just purchased' 3060 feeding a LG 65EG9600 with an Oppo 103 Darbee Edition.
The scaling performance was jaw dropping when put to the test with a grainy audition of 'The Walking Dead' bluray content
that looked EXTRA grainy by way of the straight, pass-through video handling. Allowing the 3060 to rescale to 4K, which is
easily controlled and implemented by the way, the darkest of scenes from the "inside the trailer, Terminus" segments went from looking
quite noisy to super rendered & clean without any loss in the intentional, film grain presentation of the show. We also watched Star Trek, 'Into the Darkness' and the up-scaling was really good as well although not as pronounced. Nonetheless, I am totally sold on using 4K up-scaling tech now - it has breathed longer life into my Oppo 103. I'm pretty sensitive to artifact anomalies and at this early stage, I've seen none in addition to what the EG9600 already occasionally does on it's own. The 3060 is a beast and from what I demo'd at the store, the 2060 is damned close 2nd in performance.

I'll have more to say about the Yamaha 3060, but in a nutshell, it has offered an excellent 'out of box' experience
like I've never experienced before. I'm really glad I talked myself out of Onkyo and avoided the Denon & Pioneer paths
all together.

Cheers.
gwsat and Madmax67 like this.

Last edited by Anton G A; 07-15-2016 at 06:26 PM.
Anton G A is offline  
post #51 of 7127 Old 07-15-2016, 08:54 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
Industry Insider
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 24,039
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6420 Post(s)
Liked: 6407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Tan View Post
Well the money is in your hands. Get the best you can afford, the A2060 would be a good choice indeed and would generally be my sweet spot recommendation if one doesn't need the 11 channel processing from the A3xxx series.
So Many good models out there in this price range. Yamaha makes a great product.......
Cleveland Plasma is online now  
post #52 of 7127 Old 07-16-2016, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
jdsmoothie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 83,056
Mentioned: 703 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22043 Post(s)
Liked: 11958
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
That was my thought also. But having gone all in with the decision, I'm strongly considering making it an A2060. Much as you said, but some significant additional options. I can really take advantage of the Zone 2/3/4. And once you get to thinking that way, it's hard to back off again.
In addition to budget, it's very important to determine your features/input/output requirements before pulling the trigger. Having decided on a need for Zone 4, the A2060 would be the lowest model that meets that requirement.
Anton G A likes this.
jdsmoothie is offline  
post #53 of 7127 Old 07-16-2016, 01:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
Ben Tan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 918
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 524 Post(s)
Liked: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
My LV12r with multiple Yamahas (675, A740, A2030) makes a "doink doink doink" sound (rather than boom boom boom). More like something youd expect from a speaker rather than a sub. But it sounds great playing.
Yamahas are generally known for weak sub out signals.
Hmmm... with my SB2000s, I hear a "doob doob doob" tone instead.

Yes, the voltage out from the sub out on Yamaha receivers are weaker in general to their competitors. Why though, I'm not sure of the exact reason.

SVS Ultra Bookshelf + SVS Ultra Center
Prime Bookshelf Surround with Prime Elevation Heights
Dual Rythmik FV15HP
Yamaha RX-A3060 + Parasound Halo A31 + Emotiva A500
Ben Tan is offline  
post #54 of 7127 Old 07-16-2016, 06:33 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
I disagree. The voltage out of every Yamaha I've had has equaled or bettered denon, onkyo, Pioneer.

The only unit with higher voltage output was an Emotiva umc-200 and prepros with xlr outputs. These typically double the rms voltage on their rca outputs (4v vs 2v of clean output).
dwaleke is offline  
post #55 of 7127 Old 07-16-2016, 08:21 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,772
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
I disagree. The voltage out of every Yamaha I've had has equaled or bettered denon, onkyo, Pioneer.

The only unit with higher voltage output was an Emotiva umc-200 and prepros with xlr outputs. These typically double the rms voltage on their rca outputs (4v vs 2v of clean output).
Youve owned all of those and measured them all?
Bond 007 is offline  
post #56 of 7127 Old 07-16-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
dwaleke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,642
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1412 Post(s)
Liked: 719
I should say not all of them. At a certain point they all were measuring about the same so there was no point.

I've had a dozen or so receivers the last few years. Some only stayed during return period. Some a little longer and then were sold. Even abandoned the AVR completely at one point.

Almost all of them output 2v clean rms on rca preamp outputs. Pretty much industry standard.

I think the Onkyo 818 was the only one that had weak outputs, but that was so long ago it's hard to remember.

So everyone can measure their own receiver and find out for themselves:

http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tml#post317692

I use a Fluke 87v, but any cheap multimeter will get you in the ballpark.

Last edited by dwaleke; 07-16-2016 at 08:35 AM.
dwaleke is offline  
post #57 of 7127 Old 07-16-2016, 09:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
In addition to budget, it's very important to determine your features/input/output requirements before pulling the trigger. Having decided on a need for Zone 4, the A2060 would be the lowest model that meets that requirement.
Yes. Having decided, based on my current RX-A820, that I will stay with this Yamaha series and will improve my own AV capability, I've been reading heavily in the relevant forums (and manuals). It appears that those who have no budget constraints (or just truly want better/more), tend to drift ever higher and would end up with an A3060 (or A3050 if they already pulled the trigger), and then they frequently discuss the potential merits of even higher level equipment. Yamaha markets the 10xx, 20xx, 30xx levels with an eye to those people (myself included), but the reports from actually owners tend to strongly suggest that moving from one level to the next has not disappointed them. So you decide based on budget or "need".

I don't remember reading many (if any) posts about those who have upgraded and then express disappointment over the performance of their new equipment. Yes, there are some who migrated from Denon or some other brand who express some concern for the "facts" that the comparable Yamaha is a little "different". But frankly, almost all of those who really get into their new Yamaha are immensely won over whether they upgraded from Yamaha or another brand.

In a way it comes back to what Ben Tan said: "Get the best you can afford...". Very similar to the advice when buying an HDTV -- get the biggest you can afford. There is a reason this is good advice -- you get to enjoy the advantages without regretting what you "might have gotten". Within reasonable budgetary constraint, it's just plain good advice. My budget is different now that I've been retired many years than it was when I was working and had higher limits and could freely spend a bonus. But even then I limited myself to a $5000 pre-amp/DSP instead to the next level up. And THAT was fun! <grin>.

Another consideration for those like me is whatever hearing limitations age begins to impose. But, some things (like multiple zone control) go beyond those limitations. So it becomes the best quality and features that a person can take advantage of and can afford. I'm reading (some slogging, lot of enjoyment) through the huge ""Official" Yamaha RX-A1050, RX-A2050 and RX-A3050 AVENTAGE AVR Thread", learning a lot about what my A820 just can't provide at all, learning a lot about the new "features" of the past 4 years (like Atmos and object oriented, immersive HT), getting great insights to build on my already large knowledge base of audio/video, and getting lots of opinion wrapped around that information. It's great! And without question, it is pushing me toward an A2060 -- or budgetarily, to an A2050. But in addition to great support (thanks JD and AVS Forum), I also want to extend the future with updated firmware. To me that's worth a little more for the new current model.
Madmax67 likes this.
richlife is offline  
post #58 of 7127 Old 07-17-2016, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
gwsat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Tulsa
Posts: 20,970
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4439 Post(s)
Liked: 5769
I have had an RX-V3900 for 7 years and had an RX-V2400 for 5 years before that. My 3900 has been wonderful but I am getting ready to upgrade my HT system by adding a 4K HDTV and other 4K compatible components, including a new Yamaha receiver. The 3900, of course, is not 4K compatible. The model who's specs are closest to the 3900 is the RX-A1160. My current speakers, a 7.1 system from Hsu, are terrific so I see no reason to replace or add to them. I'm not ready to undertake the hassle of putting in an Atmos system. Can anybody suggest, then, any reason why I should consider either the RX-A2060 or 3060 instead of the 1060? Any feedback will be gratefully considered.
gwsat is offline  
post #59 of 7127 Old 07-17-2016, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Bond 007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 17,772
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3218 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Can anybody suggest, then, any reason why I should consider either the RX-A2060 or 3060 instead of the 1060?[/QUOTE]Not really. But you could save some money by getting a 1050.
Bond 007 is offline  
post #60 of 7127 Old 07-17-2016, 08:25 PM
Senior Member
 
Craig Mecak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 428
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwsat View Post
I have had an RX-V3900 for 7 years and had an RX-V2400 for 5 years before that. My 3900 has been wonderful but I am getting ready to upgrade my HT system by adding a 4K HDTV and other 4K compatible components, including a new Yamaha receiver. The 3900, of course, is not 4K compatible. The model who's specs are closest to the 3900 is the RX-A1160. My current speakers, a 7.1 system from Hsu, are terrific so I see no reason to replace or add to them. I'm not ready to undertake the hassle of putting in an Atmos system. Can anybody suggest, then, any reason why I should consider either the RX-A2060 or 3060 instead of the 1060? Any feedback will be gratefully considered.
If I recall, The RX-V3900 was Yamaha's top-of-the-line receiver at the time. So the equivalent now is the RX-A3060. No question.

Cheers,
Craig.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
Craig Mecak is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off