The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 231 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33137Likes

post #6901 of 7182 Old 01-23-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2086 Post(s)
Liked: 1093
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
Yep, it was still plugged in, but I'm not used to anything working when something is turned off! By the way, once it's permanently hooked up; it will always be on. My current receiver I've had for 10 years has never been turned off...except of course once every two or three years or so if the electricity goes out.
What you think of as "off" isn't really OFF, but Standby. As per your manual (I recommend you skim through it). If you explore the settings and options, you'll find things like network standby (responds to network connection while in standby, so you can control via the web app, or iOS/Android apps) and HDMI standby through (passes HDMI signals through to HDMI OUT even in standby). Check the specs and you'll see the power consumption with these options enabled in standby is pretty low, which IMHO is a very good thing for Mother Earth. <3

Even if the AVR is inaccessible in a closet, putting it in standby with network standby ON will enable you to power it up remotely. It should also come on, and go into standby, with HDMI-CEC ("HDMI control") enabled.

Just my two cents, the old days of having to leave a receiver on 24/7 are long gone.
rlb likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6902 of 7182 Old 01-23-2019, 09:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
What you think of as "off" isn't really OFF, but Standby. As per your manual (I recommend you skim through it). If you explore the settings and options, you'll find things like network standby (responds to network connection while in standby, so you can control via the web app, or iOS/Android apps) and HDMI standby through (passes HDMI signals through to HDMI OUT even in standby). Check the specs and you'll see the power consumption with these options enabled in standby is pretty low, which IMHO is a very good thing for Mother Earth. <3

Even if the AVR is inaccessible in a closet, putting it in standby with network standby ON will enable you to power it up remotely. It should also come on, and go into standby, with HDMI-CEC ("HDMI control") enabled.

Just my two cents, the old days of having to leave a receiver on 24/7 are long gone.

Thanks for the info. I am familiar with standby, but I've never had a receiver with that feature. About having to power it up for sound; I'm just avoiding that at all cost since I don't use a universal remote (don't want one.) I also leave the DirecTV receiver continuously on; so all I have to do is turn on the plasma set and everything is ready to go. The only other thing I actually turn on and off is the disc player.

Also, I will probably skim over the manual over a period of time. Since I have someone else coming by to do all the calibrations; I mainly am only interested in input selection and volume control.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #6903 of 7182 Old 01-24-2019, 06:21 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm View Post
I'm pretty sure that his soundbar has a line-level input for the center so he's using the pre-out for the soundbar and the speaker-level output for the new center speaker. Should be fine if that's the case.

Thanks for the reply. The soundbar does not have a line level input. It is passive so its got nothing but speaker wire. I have the center channel wires from the soundbar AND another passive center channel speaker hooked up to the same speaker output on the 2060.

I was told that as long as the Ohms are the same on the soundbar and the extra center that I should be good. While others have said, I'm ruining the amp. Thanks again for any clarification!

OLED C8, Yamaha RX-A2060
Panasonic UB820, Tivo Bolt Vox
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6904 of 7182 Old 01-24-2019, 06:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 611 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by zubinh View Post
Thanks for the reply. The soundbar does not have a line level input. It is passive so its got nothing but speaker wire. I have the center channel wires from the soundbar AND another passive center channel speaker hooked up to the same speaker output on the 2060.

I was told that as long as the Ohms are the same on the soundbar and the extra center that I should be good. While others have said, I'm ruining the amp. Thanks again for any clarification!
Oops! My mistake. I looked up the Soundbar 50 and could've swore I saw RCA line-level inputs. I just looked it up again and see that I was mistaken; speaker level inputs. Sorry about that gents.

Ok, so you're not necessarily ruining your amp but you have to be careful.

Take the nominal impedance of each speaker and calculate the impedance of them in parallel. 1/Rtotal = 1/Rsndbr + 1/RCspkr. So if both speakers are 8ohm, the amp is being loaded with Rtotal = 4ohms. If both speakers are 4ohms, the amp is being loaded with 2ohms, with a 4ohm and an 8ohm you've got 2.66ohm, etc.

I'd be wary of anything under 4ohms. And I doubt that you'll ruin the amp. Its designed to just shut itself down.
rlb, zubinh and tedhontz like this.
post #6905 of 7182 Old 01-24-2019, 06:38 AM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Oops! My mistake. I looked up the Soundbar 50 and could've swore I saw RCA line-level inputs. I just looked it up again and see that I was mistaken; speaker level inputs. Sorry about that gents.

Ok, so you're not necessarily ruining your amp but you have to be careful.

Take the nominal impedance of each speaker and calculate the impedance of them in parallel. 1/Rtotal = 1/Rsndbr + 1/RCspkr. So if both speakers are 8ohm, the amp is being loaded with Rtotal = 4ohms. If both speakers are 4ohms, the amp is being loaded with 2ohms, with a 4ohm and an 8ohm you've got 2.66ohm, etc.

I'd be wary of anything under 4ohms. And I doubt that you'll ruin the amp. Its designed to just shut itself down.

Thanks!! You sure do know your stuff! So the impedance on both the soundbar and the extra center channel is 8ohm, making the Rtotal 4ohm. And it sounds good, the amp does not shut itself off, so I think I'll leave it as is. Thanks for making me feel better...

OLED C8, Yamaha RX-A2060
Panasonic UB820, Tivo Bolt Vox

Last edited by zubinh; 01-24-2019 at 06:53 AM.
post #6906 of 7182 Old 01-24-2019, 02:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

D'oh. Um, no, the impedance being the same doesn't mean "should be good."

Quote:
... Take the nominal impedance of each speaker and calculate the impedance of them in parallel. 1/Rtotal = 1/Rsndbr + 1/RCspkr. So if both speakers are 8ohm, the amp is being loaded with Rtotal = 4ohms. If both speakers are 4ohms, the amp is being loaded with 2ohms, with a 4ohm and an 8ohm you've got 2.66ohm, etc.

I have to clear some cobwebs out of the belfry and dust off my old basic electronics training (USCG avionics), but the formula you present would be for basic resistance (resistors) in series, not impedance, and doesn't look right for a parallel circuit.

Speaker impedance changes with the input frequency (so I'm told), and is a sort of reactive value, not a straight "resistance" like a resistor. I recall something like "reactive resistance of the circuit under a specific input." Hi-fi output current varies constantly (except with test tones). I remember learning fr a speaker engineer that you couldn't just hook an ohmmeter to an impedance-rated circuit and get an accurate measurement. (That was 30 years ago. Well past some of my brain cells' "best by date.")

Quote:
Thanks!! You sure do know your stuff! So the impedance on both the soundbar and the extra center channel is 8ohm, making the Rtotal 4ohm. And it sounds good, the amp does not shut itself off, so I think I'll leave it as is. Thanks for making me feel better...
I can't say you're "hurting" your AVR, but it's not designed to be used this way, so performance is likely degraded. And you could be doing some kind of long term distress to some component. Consider what you're doing to be unsupported. My two cents, mind you.
zubinh likes this.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #6907 of 7182 Old 01-26-2019, 09:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 8
So I bought the rxa 3060 last April. Today my my speakers have started popping loudly then the receiver shuts off. I was gonna try to do a factory reset nothing was even playing then and speakers popped anyway and the receiver shut off. I disconnected every HDMI device and the power cord.

Was thinking about calling a service center on Monday. This blows.

I bought this receiver refurbished from accessories4less. I don’t think I will buy any refurbished electronics in the future.

Any advice? Has someone experienced this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6908 of 7182 Old 01-27-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by klipsch123 View Post
So I bought the rxa 3060 last April. Today my my speakers have started popping loudly then the receiver shuts off. I was gonna try to do a factory reset nothing was even playing then and speakers popped anyway and the receiver shut off. I disconnected every HDMI device and the power cord.

Was thinking about calling a service center on Monday. This blows.

I bought this receiver refurbished from accessories4less. I don’t think I will buy any refurbished electronics in the future.

Any advice? Has someone experienced this issue?

Sounds like a shorted speaker or its wire. If you disconnect all the speaker wires at the AVR and check that there are no loose wire strands shorting speaker connectors, does it still shut down? If not, then you can reconnect the speakers one at a time, inspecting both ends of the wires first. If it will not power up with all the wires removed and you verified that there were no loose wire strands shorting the output or speaker connectors, then you probably need service, hopefully under some sort of warranty.

I have bought many refurb electronics, never had any issues with them. My refurb laserdisc player is going strong after 21 years.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #6909 of 7182 Old 01-27-2019, 08:26 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedave View Post
Sounds like a shorted speaker or its wire. If you disconnect all the speaker wires at the AVR and check that there are no loose wire strands shorting speaker connectors, does it still shut down? If not, then you can reconnect the speakers one at a time, inspecting both ends of the wires first. If it will not power up with all the wires removed and you verified that there were no loose wire strands shorting the output or speaker connectors, then you probably need service, hopefully under some sort of warranty.

I have bought many refurb electronics, never had any issues with them. My refurb laserdisc player is going strong after 21 years.

I disconnected everything then plugged in only the power. No speakers or input/outputs connected. I left it on and came back a few minutes later to find that it had gone into standby mode. Same result as with speakers connected except no popping because no speakers.

So it shuts down on its own disconnected form all devices.

I should have Yamahas 18 month refurb warranty cover me hopefully. It says so on the back of the unit refurb 18 month limited warranty.

post #6910 of 7182 Old 01-27-2019, 09:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I disconnected everything then plugged in only the power. No speakers or input/outputs connected. I left it on and came back a few minutes later to find that it had gone into standby mode. Same result as with speakers connected except no popping because no speakers.

So it shuts down on its own disconnected form all devices.

I should have Yamahas 18 month refurb warranty cover me hopefully. It says so on the back of the unit refurb 18 month limited warranty.
Is it possible that ECO mode is active and it went into standby from disuse?

I would plug just two speakers into it, checking the connection, then play some quiet music for an hour. If it happens again, use different speakers, and different speaker cables. Once you’ve swapped out components and it still does it, you’ve determined it’s the AVR. But if it only happens with a certain cable or spaeker, you’ve found the problem.
rlb and Shield like this.

post #6911 of 7182 Old 01-28-2019, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2551
Quote:
Any chance it was the kids? In my experience that's the most likely scenario.
The odds of that happening while the receiver was just sitting there turned off are slim to none.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #6912 of 7182 Old 01-29-2019, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Good evening everyone. Recently received a used RX-A2060 and have it hooked up to multiple TVs/zones. Something was driving me nuts - For zone 3 I could not get the audio to work consistently over HDMI - there wasn't a dedicated "Main Sync" button on the remote. Luckily I dug out my old trusty Harmony programmable remote and lo and behold, a hard IR button for "Main Sync".
The wife acceptance factor has greatly improved now. I was able to set this with the app and the web page - but not the remote. Did I just miss something?

Last thing to figure out - I have 5 HDMI inputs (Sage / Directv / Roku / PS4 / another old Netgear NEOTV). I have 1 dual RCA music input from a computer (no screen, just RCA stereo inputs on Audio 3).

On TV2 / Zone 3 I can toggle between HDMI audio *or* Audio 3 and keep the same HDMI video. Works perfectly. I cannot do this on "MAIN" - it seems to only want to use HDMI Audio. I assume I could use Scene 6-10 for this - but if anyone has a quicker and less painful idea I'm all ears.

This community is fantastic and so is this receiver. I have been using Yamaha only for 10+ years and always super thrilled.
Shawn
post #6913 of 7182 Old 02-15-2019, 08:47 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Hi guys. I posted on here a long time ago. I bought a RX-A3060. Currently I'm using a Sony ES STR-ZA5000ES ATMOS receiver. The Sony is either a 2016 or 2017 release, but it is still the "current" flagship ES model. It's an amazing receiver but IMO it doesn't handle bass well. I bought a Denon 4300 Atmos receiver before the Sony ES and while it sounded good on movies, it sounded terrible for audio. I lost my rear end on it. I bought the RX-A3060 refurb from accessories4less.com

It was purchased around Christmas time. I got really sick almost immediately after it arrived. The time to try it to see if I like it has already expired. I was taken into the hospital and almost died. I got immediate surgery and have been in the hospital a month. I am finally home now, but recovery hasn't been easy. I can't lift anything and I can't bend over to reach cables to setup the Yamaha. So, I'm still using the Sony ES. My idea was that whatever receiver I liked more after trying the Yamaha, I'd keep. I got a recent notification from this site saying that there was a new firmware for my Sony ES that offered IMAX ENHANCED. Being that this Yamaha receiver is very much like the Sony ES STR-ZA5000ES, is Yamaha releasing an IMAX ENHANCED firmware for the A3060?

I did have my son unpack the A3060 and plug it in to see if it had power. The display turned on and it physically looks great as well, but of course I won't know if everything works until I am able to hook everything up and setup all the settings. It has an 18 month warranty so if I have a problem I'm still covered, but at this point if I have any problems, I'll have to pay shipping fees.

So, does anyone know if the A3060 will get or already has an IMAX firmware update? Even more, what exactly is IMAX ENHANCED? I do have an 11 channel ATMOS setup on my ES and I plan to setup the A3060 as an 11 channel ATMOS using an external amp.
post #6914 of 7182 Old 02-16-2019, 05:46 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3246 Post(s)
Liked: 2551
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
So, does anyone know if the A3060 will get or already has an IMAX firmware update? Even more, what exactly is IMAX ENHANCED?
No.

https://www.imaxenhanced.com
post #6915 of 7182 Old 02-16-2019, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I’m excited to try Qobuz on my A1060. I’m been streaming Tidal over MusicCast. I know that Qobuz is supposedly compatible with MusicCast, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to see Qobuz as a source in the app. I have the latest firmware and app updates and I’ve gone in to edit sources and Qobuz is just not available as an option.

Anyone else successfully streaming Qobuz to their Aventage? Am I missing somethibg really obvious? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
post #6916 of 7182 Old 02-16-2019, 10:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Hi guys. I posted on here a long time ago. I bought a RX-A3060. Currently I'm using a Sony ES STR-ZA5000ES ATMOS receiver. The Sony is either a 2016 or 2017 release, but it is still the "current" flagship ES model. It's an amazing receiver but IMO it doesn't handle bass well. I bought a Denon 4300 Atmos receiver before the Sony ES and while it sounded good on movies, it sounded terrible for audio. I lost my rear end on it. I bought the RX-A3060 refurb from accessories4less.com

It was purchased around Christmas time. I got really sick almost immediately after it arrived. The time to try it to see if I like it has already expired. I was taken into the hospital and almost died. I got immediate surgery and have been in the hospital a month. I am finally home now, but recovery hasn't been easy. I can't lift anything and I can't bend over to reach cables to setup the Yamaha. So, I'm still using the Sony ES. My idea was that whatever receiver I liked more after trying the Yamaha, I'd keep. I got a recent notification from this site saying that there was a new firmware for my Sony ES that offered IMAX ENHANCED. Being that this Yamaha receiver is very much like the Sony ES STR-ZA5000ES, is Yamaha releasing an IMAX ENHANCED firmware for the A3060?

I did have my son unpack the A3060 and plug it in to see if it had power. The display turned on and it physically looks great as well, but of course I won't know if everything works until I am able to hook everything up and setup all the settings. It has an 18 month warranty so if I have a problem I'm still covered, but at this point if I have any problems, I'll have to pay shipping fees.

So, does anyone know if the A3060 will get or already has an IMAX firmware update? Even more, what exactly is IMAX ENHANCED? I do have an 11 channel ATMOS setup on my ES and I plan to setup the A3060 as an 11 channel ATMOS using an external amp.
Sorry to learn about the health issues you've had to endure. I too bought a refurbished Yamaha 3060, but not from the same place you did, I bought mine on Amazon from a company in CA. The box looked like crap and there's a dent on the top in the upper right hand corner of the unit. Like yours, it also has a 18 month warranty. Since I'm upgrading for the first time in 10 years; I won't be hooking it up completely till sometime in May. I did however plug it in and connected a speaker to each output (one at a time) to make sure at least the channels worked. I even hooked up a Blu-ray player and my plasma and it all worked fine.

There was an update not for Imax Enhanced, among at least one other item, there was an update to improve on how it handles DSD (SACD) audio. Actually, I don't know if it was for the way it handles SACDs, or just the DSD stream...I guess both are the same except there are just DSD files which do have higher sampling rates, but I don't have a clue as to the upgrade as far as what it does to improve upon it.

Does anyone know what the update did for DSD (SACD) files?
tedhontz likes this.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #6917 of 7182 Old 02-16-2019, 05:47 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
After reading what IMAX enhanced actually is, I really don't care if my receiver has it or not. Sure, I would like my receiver to have everything, but even new Yamaha units don't support IMAX enhanced. Seems every time I buy a new receiver, immediately something else comes to the market to destroy the value of my receiver and the new function seems to be worthless. IE: My ATMOS speakers that I bought, and upgrading to an ATMOS receiver, seems to have been a waste. I never hear my ATMOS speakers. And it looks like IMAX enhanced is going to be a small niche market unless they quickly let more companies adopt this and more films support this. It supports "sound bars!" What a joke! And from IMAX enhanced website it says that all IMAX enhanced products will have a logo on the device, making it easy for users to identify if that device supports IMAX enhanced. Well my Sony ES supports it and there is no logo on my device. I think I'll pass on this whole IMAX thing.
post #6918 of 7182 Old 02-16-2019, 07:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
After reading what IMAX enhanced actually is, I really don't care if my receiver has it or not. Sure, I would like my receiver to have everything, but even new Yamaha units don't support IMAX enhanced. Seems every time I buy a new receiver, immediately something else comes to the market to destroy the value of my receiver and the new function seems to be worthless. IE: My ATMOS speakers that I bought, and upgrading to an ATMOS receiver, seems to have been a waste. I never hear my ATMOS speakers. And it looks like IMAX enhanced is going to be a small niche market unless they quickly let more companies adopt this and more films support this. It supports "sound bars!" What a joke! And from IMAX enhanced website it says that all IMAX enhanced products will have a logo on the device, making it easy for users to identify if that device supports IMAX enhanced. Well my Sony ES supports it and there is no logo on my device. I think I'll pass on this whole IMAX thing.
That's fine, but don't give up on Atmos. I'm sure you're already using titles with Atmos soundtrack...Ok; check. Everything calibrated correctly? You certainly know your audio, so I'll say...Ok; check. I was just told today that placement of those speakers is a science. Do you have vaulted ceilings? How high is your ceiling? In ceiling speakers are the best bet for getting the most from Atmos. Are the tweeters directional?

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-4-setups.html

"The ideal ceiling height is between 7.5 and 12 feet, and the maximum recommended height is 14 feet. The ceiling should be flat and made from an acoustically reflective material, such as drywall or plaster."

"You'll get the best sound when the front and surround speakers are at or slightly above your ear level when you're seated. Wall-mounted surrounds can be higher, but no speakers—especially Dolby Atmos enabled modules—should be higher than half the height of your wall."

The surrounds should be close to your ear level so that can maximize the distance between the height speakers and the surrounds. If your surrounds are too high up; you're not going to get a really good separation between the height channels and the surrounds.

Look for and read the reviews of Blu-ray or 4K movie titles that make the best use of Atmos. Do your ceiling speakers have rear enclosures? Do the tweeters have tightly controlled dispersion? At least that's what the theatres use.

Here's a link to "The Best Dolby Atmos Blu-ray Demos" https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-blu-ray-demos

Hope that helps...
richlife and tedhontz like this.

post #6919 of 7182 Old 02-16-2019, 11:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
That's fine, but don't give up on Atmos. I'm sure you're already using titles with Atmos soundtrack...Ok; check. Everything calibrated correctly? You certainly know your audio, so I'll say...Ok; check. I was just told today that placement of those speakers is a science. Do you have vaulted ceilings? How high is your ceiling? In ceiling speakers are the best bet for getting the most from Atmos. Are the tweeters directional?

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/do...-4-setups.html

"The ideal ceiling height is between 7.5 and 12 feet, and the maximum recommended height is 14 feet. The ceiling should be flat and made from an acoustically reflective material, such as drywall or plaster."

"You'll get the best sound when the front and surround speakers are at or slightly above your ear level when you're seated. Wall-mounted surrounds can be higher, but no speakers—especially Dolby Atmos enabled modules—should be higher than half the height of your wall."

The surrounds should be close to your ear level so that can maximize the distance between the height speakers and the surrounds. If your surrounds are too high up; you're not going to get a really good separation between the height channels and the surrounds.

Look for and read the reviews of Blu-ray or 4K movie titles that make the best use of Atmos. Do your ceiling speakers have rear enclosures? Do the tweeters have tightly controlled dispersion? At least that's what the theatres use.

Here's a link to "The Best Dolby Atmos Blu-ray Demos" https://www.soundandvision.com/conte...-blu-ray-demos

Hope that helps...
On my current Sony ES setup, for Atmos speakers I can select if they are in the ceiling, up high, or on top of front and back speakers, firing up. I have the up firing ATMOS speakers. Like I said I haven't had the time or permission from the doctor yet to bend over and do all that wiring, so I haven't yet installed and setup the Yamaha A3060 yet. I like everything about the Sony ES STR-ZA5000ES, but it only controls one subwoofer even though it has two jacks. I actually have four subwoofers. I read that the Yamaha gives you more control of your subwoofers and allows you to pick "enhanced bass" and also "subwoofer trim". I haven't given up on ATMOS because I've already sank a ton into making my system an 11 channel ATMOS system. I just hope it doesn't get replaced by something like IMAX enhanced. And it's been a long time since I've hooked up a Yamaha. I still have a RX-V3300 in a bedroom for an audio only system. My most recent Yamaha I've owned has been a RX-V2700 and I don't have that one anymore. After Yamaha, I went to NAD but ended up having to many reliability issues. Then I tried a Denon which was awful. Last two receivers have been Sony ES receivers and I have been happy with Sony ES except you can't really adjust the subwoofer settings that much. I hope the Yamaha A3060 is the answer.
post #6920 of 7182 Old 02-17-2019, 12:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
On my current Sony ES setup, for Atmos speakers I can select if they are in the ceiling, up high, or on top of front and back speakers, firing up. I have the up firing ATMOS speakers. Like I said I haven't had the time or permission from the doctor yet to bend over and do all that wiring, so I haven't yet installed and setup the Yamaha A3060 yet. I like everything about the Sony ES STR-ZA5000ES, but it only controls one subwoofer even though it has two jacks. I actually have four subwoofers. I read that the Yamaha gives you more control of your subwoofers and allows you to pick "enhanced bass" and also "subwoofer trim". I haven't given up on ATMOS because I've already sank a ton into making my system an 11 channel ATMOS system. I just hope it doesn't get replaced by something like IMAX enhanced. And it's been a long time since I've hooked up a Yamaha. I still have a RX-V3300 in a bedroom for an audio only system. My most recent Yamaha I've owned has been a RX-V2700 and I don't have that one anymore. After Yamaha, I went to NAD but ended up having to many reliability issues. Then I tried a Denon which was awful. Last two receivers have been Sony ES receivers and I have been happy with Sony ES except you can't really adjust the subwoofer settings that much. I hope the Yamaha A3060 is the answer.

About the bass settings. On the Yamaha 3060 receiver, set it up so all the speakers are set to small, set the "Extra Bass" setting to "Off."

You stated you have four subwoofers. There are two outputs on the back. A sub Front output and a sub Back output. Also, there are three settings. On page 134 of the manual; it states there is a Left & Right setting, a Front & Rear setting, and a Monaural X2 setting. I'm not positive, but I think the best setting for four subs would be to hook up two to the Front output and two to the Back output. I'm not sure, but I think there are separate distance settings for the front and rear subs based from what I read on page 62...as long as you let it know you have front and rear subs. If the receiver does not have a way to set separate distances for the two front and two rear subs, I think it might be best to set the subs on the Monaural X2 settings for each pair of subs. It might be best to ask someone else about the sub settings. In my case, I have two subs, and they will be set in the front (left and right) from only the front output and the setting in my 3060 will be set to Monaural X2 setting.

Unfortunately of the three options to choose from for Atmos speaker type and placement...the best option is in-ceiling speakers. Less than ideal would be speakers placed high on the wall, and the least ideal Atmos setup is using speakers that fire up to bounce audio from the ceiling. The problem with using speakers that fire upwards is there's very limited control as to where the bounced audio is landing, and the audio has to be in a certain area in front of and behind the listener.

Take for example the illustration below. Unless you have a way to aim the up firing speakers to direct the bounced audio as shown below; the setup will be less than ideal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Atmos example.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	2526888  
tedhontz likes this.

post #6921 of 7182 Old 02-17-2019, 01:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hi I am having an issue with receiver when passing through 4K 23.976hz through to my jvc projector when I press display it is like half the on screen display is off the screen and I cannot see it , when playing 1080p there is no issue , has anyone had this issue ?

post #6922 of 7182 Old 02-17-2019, 02:01 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by mavang View Post
Hi I am having an issue with receiver when passing through 4K 23.976hz through to my jvc projector when I press display it is like half the on screen display is off the screen and I cannot see it , when playing 1080p there is no issue , has anyone had this issue ?
Do all the devices in the chain (including the Yamaha) have their latest firmware installed? Is the Yamaha set to HDMI Mode 1? What brand/model/style/length is the HDMI cable between the Yamaha and the JVC projector?

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
post #6923 of 7182 Old 02-17-2019, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Do all the devices in the chain (including the Yamaha) have their latest firmware installed? Is the Yamaha set to HDMI Mode 1? What brand/model/style/length is the HDMI cable between the Yamaha and the JVC projector?

Yes every item has upto date firmware only occurs when playing a movie when I switch to desktop issue goes away I suspect it is some sort of timing conflict when playing madvr
When playing Panasonic up900 no issue

post #6924 of 7182 Old 02-17-2019, 02:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavang View Post
Yes every item has upto date firmware only occurs when playing a movie when I switch to desktop issue goes away I suspect it is some sort of timing conflict when playing madvr
When playing Panasonic up900 no issue

And is the Yamaha in mode 1? Describe your hdmi cables - it’s rare that folks with projectors use the proper cables.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
post #6925 of 7182 Old 02-17-2019, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
And is the Yamaha in mode 1? Describe your hdmi cables - it’s rare that folks with projectors use the proper cables.

Yes all cables are certified running correct mode in receiver running hybrid fiber ruipro

post #6926 of 7182 Old 02-17-2019, 06:48 PM

Quoted: 269 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Lip Sync problem with Apple 4KTV, Yamaha Aventage 3080, and Dolby Vision:

I've found the only way I can get Dolby Vision from the Apple TV through the Yamaha 3080 is by turning video processing to ON, (not direct pass through) and turning MATCH CONTENT to ON on the Apple TV. HOWEVER, this gives me a lip sync problem with some films, not all, and not 4K films. I noticed lip sync error strongly on Kiss the Girls, Skull Island, Deja Vu.

To get rid of the lip sync error, i set the 3080 video mode to direct., and MATCH CONTENT on the Apple TV to OFF. BUT then I can pass 4K and HDR BUT NOT Dolby Vision. As long as I know this is the case it's not a huge deal and I can get rid of lip sync which I hate, but I wonder if anyone has found a more elegant solution. Thanks.
post #6927 of 7182 Old 02-17-2019, 07:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post

I've found the only way I can get Dolby Vision from the Apple TV through the Yamaha 3080 is by turning video processing to ON, (not direct pass through) and turning MATCH CONTENT to ON on the Apple TV. HOWEVER, this gives me a lip sync problem with some films, not all, and not 4K films. I noticed lip sync error strongly on Kiss the Girls, Skull Island, Deja Vu.

To get rid of the lip sync error, i set the 3080 video mode to direct., and MATCH CONTENT on the Apple TV to OFF. BUT then I can pass 4K and HDR BUT NOT Dolby Vision. As long as I know this is the case it's not a huge deal and I can get rid of lip sync which I hate, but I wonder if anyone has found a more elegant solution. Thanks.

1. This thread is for the *60 series, although I don’t think your issue is *80 series specific.
2. You should not need to enable any video processing on your Yamaha beyond switching it to HDMI Mode 1 (which actually may be the default for your newer generation, I’m not sure).
3. The Apple TV 4K device should be set to 4K SDR with both Match options enabled in order to get the best quality from every app. In this mode, SDR will be sent as SDR, HDR as HDR, DV as DV, etc.
4. Your issue may be that your display needs a specific rate set in the 4KSDR drop down on the AppleTv (if you scroll through, you’ll find there are additional options several pages down - BTW, what is your display?) or you have an issue with your HDMI cables (can you describe your cables and lengths?)

post #6928 of 7182 Old 02-18-2019, 07:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Steve View Post
For reference, this is the 1080/2080/3080 thread:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...vr-thread.html

post #6929 of 7182 Old 02-23-2019, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked: 957
I’ve owned a 3060 for a coupe of years now, very happy with it. I’ve been thinking of using it to listen to some radio stations from iHeartRadio radio. Would someone explain how this is done? Do I use the Music cast app or the Yamaha Controller app? Can I get the radio off my iPhone or is there a different/ better way? Many thanks

post #6930 of 7182 Old 02-23-2019, 01:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
I’ve owned a 3060 for a coupe of years now, very happy with it. I’ve been thinking of using it to listen to some radio stations from iHeartRadio radio. Would someone explain how this is done? Do I use the Music cast app or the Yamaha Controller app? Can I get the radio off my iPhone or is there a different/ better way? Many thanks

When I do listen to the iHR app, it's thru AirPlay (iPhone or our iPad). You can also dl the iHR app on Roku... Listening to SiriusXM thru AirPlay right now...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page