The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 232 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33131Likes

post #6931 of 7127 Old 02-23-2019, 01:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
Originally Posted by VARTV View Post
When I do listen to the iHR app, it's thru AirPlay (iPhone or our iPad). You can also dl the iHR app on Roku... Listening to SiriusXM thru AirPlay right now...

Thanks. I’m not familiar with using AirPlay (I have an iPhone). Would you describe how I would use AirPlay to get iHR on the Yamaha?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6932 of 7127 Old 02-23-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Thanks. I’m not familiar with using AirPlay (I have an iPhone). Would you describe how I would use AirPlay to get iHR on the Yamaha?

When you find and play the station you want to listen to, you'll see "Available Connections." When you tap that, your options will show up. On my phone I see "AirPlay & Bluetooth." Tap that and a iOS dialog box comes up with devices on your network to cast the stream to. You'll probably see "iPhone" "RX-A3060" (unless you renamed your receiver like I did) "Apple TV" etc. Tap your receiver and enjoy!
tedhontz and ChromeJob like this.

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #6933 of 7127 Old 02-23-2019, 02:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 922 Post(s)
Liked: 907
Quote:
When you find and play the station you want to listen to, you'll see "Available Connections." When you tap that, your options will show up. On my phone I see "AirPlay & Bluetooth." Tap that and a iOS dialog box comes up with devices on your network to cast the stream to. You'll probably see "iPhone" "RX-A3060" (unless you renamed your receiver like I did) "Apple TV" etc. Tap your receiver and enjoy!

Thank you sir, this is tremendously helpful and useful!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #6934 of 7127 Old 02-23-2019, 02:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthnut View Post
Thank you sir, this is tremendously helpful and useful!

np... I had the RX-A1000 then updated it to a 2060 and never used AirPlay. One day "I went for it" and was in heaven. I'm a very heavy SiriusXM Internet Radio listener. MANY more channels available on the SXM app vs the built-in player in the receiver. Between iHR, TuneIn and Radio.com, you should be able to hear almost all your local AND any favorite out-of-market stations. Then there's Pandora, AccuRadio, Apple Music etc...

Robert F Corbin

post #6935 of 7127 Old 02-25-2019, 03:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
np... I had the RX-A1000 then updated it to a 2060 and never used AirPlay. One day "I went for it" and was in heaven. I'm a very heavy SiriusXM Internet Radio listener. MANY more channels available on the SXM app vs the built-in player in the receiver. Between iHR, TuneIn and Radio.com, you should be able to hear almost all your local AND any favorite out-of-market stations. Then there's Pandora, AccuRadio, Apple Music etc...
Hoping not to re-route the original intent of this thread, but I have been very interested in exploring the use of sirius/xm at home. I have a subscription for the car, but am unsure how to play it on my home theater/audio setup. Does it require more hardware? And how much is a home subscription, if you know. Thanks in advance for your help if you have time.
Laura
post #6936 of 7127 Old 02-25-2019, 04:20 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadgirl View Post
Hoping not to re-route the original intent of this thread, but I have been very interested in exploring the use of sirius/xm at home. I have a subscription for the car, but am unsure how to play it on my home theater/audio setup. Does it require more hardware? And how much is a home subscription, if you know. Thanks in advance for your help if you have time.
Laura
You'll need to make sure you have streaming with/added to your SXM package (we have All Access so it's included). When/If you do, you can listen to SXM Internet Radio thru the receiver with the bulit-in player or use AirPlay to cast the music from your iOS device (iPad/iPhone/ATV etc). Using the app with an iOS device is much easier with a lot more channels...
tedhontz and ChromeJob like this.

Robert F Corbin

post #6937 of 7127 Old 02-25-2019, 04:52 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
You'll need to make sure you have streaming with/added to your SXM package (we have All Access so it's included). When/If you do, you can listen to SXM Internet Radio thru the receiver with the bulit-in player or use AirPlay to cast the music from your iOS device (iPad/iPhone/ATV etc). Using the app with an iOS device is much easier with a lot more channels...
Thanks so much! This was immensely helpful!
VARTV likes this.
post #6938 of 7127 Old 02-25-2019, 09:47 AM

Liked: 0
Yamaha RX-A2060 wifi & bluetooth nor working

I recently got this receiver from a co worker. Fantastic receiver and sounds amazing on my kef q90, q60, mission sub and psb centre. Great warm sound with a deep bass.

Anyway... I did a full speaker setup and when I moved to the network connections, nothing worked... The wifi network doesn't see any wifi network when scanning. When I enter the network info manually, it still doesn't recognize or see it.

The same goes for the bluetooth. The bluetooth is switched on and when I try to connect to it, I don't see it.

I have tried to set up my music cast and av controller via the app, but even through the connect setup, there is no communication. I assume it uses wifi direct...

Anybody got an idea how to fix it?
post #6939 of 7127 Old 02-25-2019, 09:53 AM

Just to add. I did switch off the auto network standby and still no luck.
post #6940 of 7127 Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokkel View Post
I recently got this receiver from a co worker. Fantastic receiver and sounds amazing on my kef q90, q60, mission sub and psb centre. Great warm sound with a deep bass.

Anyway... I did a full speaker setup and when I moved to the network connections, nothing worked... The wifi network doesn't see any wifi network when scanning. When I enter the network info manually, it still doesn't recognize or see it.

The same goes for the bluetooth. The bluetooth is switched on and when I try to connect to it, I don't see it.

I have tried to set up my music cast and av controller via the app, but even through the connect setup, there is no communication. I assume it uses wifi direct...

Anybody got an idea how to fix it?
Did your co-worker give you the wireless antenna for wifi that plugs into the back of the unit?

How far away is your wireless router or access point? Look at page 185 of the 2060's manual - which you can download from Yamaha's website - to see which wifi standards this unit supports - 2.4 GHz only, and only wifi b, g, and n. 5 GHz is not supported, nor are wifi a or c.

Is the router's 2.4 GHz network enabled, or did someone turn it off?

Was the router's wifi b, g, or n networking turned off?

Unfortunately, many magazine columnists who assume that everyone has the latest equipment tell folks to turn off older standards in their routers to speed up their newer devices, ignoring that (a) this can completely disable many older devices, and (b) the 5 GHz band is not as reliable over a distance or with walls or furniture in the way.

If you want to use Wireless Direct, look at page 85 of the 2060 manual for instructions on how to enable it.

Bluetooth connection is explained on pages 88, 144, and 176 of the 2060 manual.

Also look at pages 168 and 169 of the 2060 manual for troubleshooting of Bluetooth and wifi connections.
ChromeJob likes this.

Last edited by Philnick; 02-25-2019 at 11:51 AM.
post #6941 of 7127 Old 02-25-2019, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Did your co-worker give you the wireless antenna for wifi that plugs into the back of the unit?

How far away is your wireless router or access point? Look at page 185 of the 2060's manual - which you can download from Yamaha's website - to see which wifi standards this unit supports - 2.4 GHz only, and only wifi b, g, and n. 5 GHz is not supported, nor are wifi a or c.

Is the router's 2.4 GHz network enabled, or did someone turn it off?

Was the router's wifi b, g, or n networking turned off?

Unfortunately, many magazine columnists who assume that everyone has the latest equipment tell folks to turn off older standards in their routers to speed up their newer devices, ignoring that (a) this can completely disable many older devices, and (b) the 5 GHz band is not as reliable over a distance or with walls or furniture in the way.

If you want to use Wireless Direct, look at page 85 of the 2060 manual for instructions on how to enable it.

Bluetooth connection is explained on pages 88, 144, and 176 of the 2060 manual.

Also look at pages 168 and 169 of the 2060 manual for troubleshooting of Bluetooth and wifi connections.
Hi Philnick.

Thanks for the reply. I did receive the antenna and i tried a different one as well.

The router is about 3m from the amp, set to 2,4ghz only and on b,g,n. The firewall on the router is disabled and I have tried connecting with the WPS button as well... Interference from other devices should not be a problem seeing that everything is paced far enough from each other.

I troubleshooted the bluetooth as well to no avail...

I haven't tried a factory reset yet.
post #6942 of 7127 Old 02-25-2019, 09:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Hi Philnick.

Thanks for the reply. I did receive the antenna and i tried a different one as well.

The router is about 3m from the amp, set to 2,4ghz only and on b,g,n. The firewall on the router is disabled and I have tried connecting with the WPS button as well... Interference from other devices should not be a problem seeing that everything is paced far enough from each other.

Only other thing I can think of is that maybe the router isn't broadcasting its SSID (its call sign) so you can't see it in your receiver. I'd also try temporarily turning off the WEP or WPA encryption password to improve their chances of seeing each other. Once they know each other you can turn it back on.

PS Three meters is only about ten feet. Why not simply run an ethernet cable?

post #6943 of 7127 Old 02-25-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philnick View Post
Only other thing I can think of is that maybe the router isn't broadcasting its SSID (its call sign) so you can't see it in your receiver. I'd also try temporarily turning off the WEP or WPA encryption password to improve their chances of seeing each other. Once they know each other you can turn it back on.

PS Three meters is only about ten feet. Why not simply run an ethernet cable?
The SSID is broadcasting. I will try turning of the password, but I doubt that it would work. It doesn't see any other network my other devices pick up as well. I even turned my phone into a hotspot and placed it directly next it.

The only way I can lay a cable, is if drill a hole through my feature wall. The router is seperated by wall.
post #6944 of 7127 Old 02-26-2019, 08:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
The SSID is broadcasting. I will try turning of the password, but I doubt that it would work. It doesn't see any other network my other devices pick up as well. I even turned my phone into a hotspot and placed it directly next it.

The only way I can lay a cable, is if drill a hole through my feature wall. The router is seperated by wall.
Just for the heck of it, try a really long cable to by pass the feature wall, just to make sure that hooking it up to a cable actually works.
ChromeJob likes this.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #6945 of 7127 Old 02-26-2019, 10:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1989 Post(s)
Liked: 1054
Quote:
Hi Philnick.

If the AVR has not had a factory reset in the Advanced Setup, definitely do that. Use the antenna provided with the AVR.

Also DO NOT disable the firewall on your router! That is what is protecting your home network and devices within from attack from the Internet.

Your AVR should work with WPA2 Personal security, it’s been around long enough. WEP has long since been denigrated as weak. Ensure you are using WPA2 not the older WPA on your router.

The suggestion to try a long Ethernet cable is sound, if you have a long enough cord. OR place the AVR closer to the router and plug in some HDMI capable monitor, if only to test the Ethernet connection.

Hope this helps.
tedhontz likes this.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #6946 of 7127 Old 02-26-2019, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post

If the AVR has not had a factory reset in the Advanced Setup, definitely do that. Use the antenna provided with the AVR.

Also DO NOT disable the firewall on your router! That is what is protecting your home network and devices within from attack from the Internet.

Your AVR should work with WPA2 Personal security, it’s been around long enough. WEP has long since been denigrated as weak. Ensure you are using WPA2 not the older WPA on your router.

The suggestion to try a long Ethernet cable is sound, if you have a long enough cord. OR place the AVR closer to the router and plug in some HDMI capable monitor, if only to test the Ethernet connection.

Hope this helps.
Hi Chromejob.

I turned on the firewall again afterwards... 😁

I did connect the amp with a ethernet cable and it works great. Got all the apps on my phone to recognize the amp and it worked like it should.

The bluetooth and wireless still doesn't work though. I think i will attemp the factory reset. I did do a firmware update as well. Will i need to update the firmware after a factory reset?
post #6947 of 7127 Old 02-26-2019, 12:03 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3215 Post(s)
Liked: 2528
Quote:
Will i need to update the firmware after a factory reset?
No
ChromeJob likes this.
post #6948 of 7127 Old 02-27-2019, 12:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Hi Chromejob.

I turned on the firewall again afterwards... 😁

I did connect the amp with a ethernet cable and it works great. Got all the apps on my phone to recognize the amp and it worked like it should.

The bluetooth and wireless still doesn't work though. I think i will attemp the factory reset. I did do a firmware update as well. Will i need to update the firmware after a factory reset?
Glad to learn it at least works with a ethernet cable.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #6949 of 7127 Old 03-02-2019, 07:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Yes, my email is already in to Yamaha. At the very least, I want this on record.

tedhontz, throughout all this I felt there was just some simple cause and expected after every power off that the problem will vanish. Electronic components (caps, circuits, RAM, etc.) often have residual "memory". Perhaps simply being powered down long enough was the clue. And overnight after this issue we had a brief storm-related power failure, so perhaps that contributed.

Mostly I'm hoping for the best. This has been an outstanding unit. I think you will end up being delighted with yours.
Has anyone heard from Richlife?. He has not posted since this post in mid December.

I always enjoy reading his adventures/posts and wondered how he made out with his Yamaha AVR.

Hope he is doing well and just taking a break from AVS.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #6950 of 7127 Old 03-02-2019, 02:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Has anyone heard from Richlife?. He has not posted since this post in mid December.

I always enjoy reading his adventures/posts and wondered how he made out with his Yamaha AVR.

Hope he is doing well and just taking a break from AVS.
Hey, LNEWolf -- thanks for the nice words. Hope you are well also since, as you note, I pretty much dropped out.

I'm fine and my 3060 is fine -- but life just came bubbling over the past few months and I sort of lost track of pretty much all forums. Hard to pin it down to any one or a few things, just lots of little things going on. Part of all this is that our 50th anniversary is coming up next month and that's occupied time with plans etc. Add in my 50th college reunion plans. And some major upgrades to our home which resolves mind-numbing issues going back more than 25 years (just completed today in fact!). The serious illness and death of one of our dear dogs also contributed. These are just some of the bigger things that have distracted me recently. Seems like every time I turn around something else is demanding some pretty immediate attention and research. (Did I mention fruitless efforts to find a solution for our agonizingly slow "broadband" service? And on and on...) All in all in good health and continuing to enjoy my Yamaha and home theater/music system.

As for the weird problem you replied to, I can't add more. It happened and it went away (thankfully). Wish I had a better answer (and there is some slight trepidation with the reminder ) but basically have pretty much forgotten about it.

To make a minor contribution to the overall discussion, last night we watched a BluRayRental copy of Kingsman: The Golden Circle. Not a new movie but a lot of fun! Of more relevance, the Dolby Atmos soundtrack is one of the best I've heard -- made me sit right up and take notice from the gitgo. It stood out even though we've seen several other newer releases recently (Black Panther for one. Good but I thought more effort went into the visual aspects than the audio -- as supported by it's Academy Award.)

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #6951 of 7127 Old 03-03-2019, 12:27 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked: 282
Hey Rich, good to hear from you and I am glad you and family are doing fine. I’m sorry to hear of the passing of one of your dogs. As a previous doggie daddy of many dogs throughput the years. I miss each one, as they are truly special indeed. They brought a HuGe smile to my face many many times.

Always enjoy reading about your adventures. Congratulations to the Mrs and you on your 50th anniversary.

I enjoy reading this thread. (Future Yamaha owner) like to keep up with all the techno advances in AVR’s. Glad to hear your concern vanished.

Take care Rich, good talking with you.

Sorry for the interruption to all youse fine Yamaha folks........

We now return to your regular scheduled programs.
tedhontz and TomcatTLC like this.

Twin Pioneer AVR Locomotives-Elite SC 97, SC 1222 7.2.4, DOLBY Atmos and DTS X, (Front Pre Out,) JBL Pro Synthesis LS Series Speakers, F L R-LS80, Cen-LS, S L R-LS60, SB L R-LS60, 4 Dolby Atmos Enabled Klipsch R41SA, Twin Klipsch R120SW. Mitz 73740 DLP, Sony UBP-X800, ATV G4, Yamaha ATS 1060 Sound Bar, True Depth Firestorm 2.0 3D Glasses, Harmony Hub with Utlimate 1 Remote, Broadlink RM Pro2, EYE Pad Air, Winegard FL6550A
post #6952 of 7127 Old 03-03-2019, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNEWoLF View Post
Hey Rich, good to hear from you and I am glad you and family are doing fine. I’m sorry to hear of the passing of one of your dogs. As a previous doggie daddy of many dogs throughput the years. I miss each one, as they are truly special indeed. They brought a HuGe smile to my face many many times.

Always enjoy reading about your adventures. Congratulations to the Mrs and you on your 50th anniversary.

I enjoy reading this thread. (Future Yamaha owner) like to keep up with all the techno advances in AVR’s. Glad to hear your concern vanished.

Take care Rich, good talking with you.

Sorry for the interruption to all youse fine Yamaha folks........

We now return to your regular scheduled programs.
As you said LNEWolf, I know future Yamaha Aventage owners check out these forums almost as much as current owners. With the 3060 available as resale today, refurbished for about half what I paid, our AVRs have great resale value -- for newcomers, the new models have some nice additional features. For myself, there is no real value to update to the 3080 (those new features don't speak much to me). What I would like to see (and what might cause me to actually upgrade in the near term), would be a true 11.2 Aventage from Yamaha (maybe a 4090 or 40200?). Eliminate the external amp and make all setup options simpler. I don't really think I'll have to wait long for the possibility.
tedhontz and TomcatTLC like this.

Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
post #6953 of 7127 Old 03-03-2019, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
After reading what IMAX enhanced actually is, I really don't care if my receiver has it or not. Sure, I would like my receiver to have everything, but even new Yamaha units don't support IMAX enhanced. ...
Quote:
On my current Sony ES setup, for Atmos speakers I can select if they are in the ceiling, up high, or on top of front and back speakers, firing up. I have the up firing ATMOS speakers. ...
Restricting my response to the above excerpts:

First of all IMAX Enhanced is a certification -- not a feature or function per se. It covers both video and audio (unlike THX which is audio) and certainly may have some significance in the future, but 1) clearly it's at least partially an effort by DTS to wrest some of the popularity from Dolby and 2) since Yamaha basically does little in the video processing arena (at least on the Aventage line), it's not surprising to me that they have not jumped on the "bandwagon". (I also wonder how many of those other brands are currently just paying lip service.)

As far as your dismissal of Atmos, big mistake. When set up properly, Atmos makes an audio world of difference. Even using just my 3060 to change modes with all connections in place, the difference from any surround mode and Atmos 7.2.2 is truly dramatic. Switch to 7.2.4 and the increased presence and immersiveness is immediately noticeable. (And I have upfiring Atmos front presence speakers AND a vaulted ceiling which rises to 16 ft.) If you're interested in the best your equipment can provide, I highly recommend you make the effort to learn what you need to do for setup and experiment as much as needed with your unique environment. As a start, you may want to check out the HT link in my signature (replicated here for your convenience: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...cial-room.html ).
gwsat and TomcatTLC like this.

Last edited by richlife; 03-03-2019 at 04:19 PM.
post #6954 of 7127 Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
Restricting my response to the above excerpts:

First of all IMAX Enhanced is a certification -- not a feature or function per se. It covers both video and audio (unlike THX which is audio) and certainly may have some significance in the future, but 1) clearly it's at least partially an effort by DTS to wrest some of the popularity from Dolby and 2) since Yamaha basically does little in the video processing arena (at least on the Aventage line), it's not surprising to me that they have not jumped on the "bandwagon". (I also wonder how many of those other brands are currently just paying lip service.)

As far as your dismissal of Atmos, big mistake. When set up properly, Atmos makes an audio world of difference. Even using just my 3060 to change modes with all connections in place, the difference from any surround mode and Atmos 7.2.2 is truly dramatic. Switch to 7.2.4 and the increased presence and immersiveness is immediately noticeable. (And I have upfiring Atmos front presence speakers AND a vaulted ceiling which rises to 16 ft.) If you're interested in the best your equipment can provide, I highly recommend you make the effort to learn what you need to do for setup and experiment as much as needed with your unique environment. As a start, you may want to check out the HT link in my signature (replicated here for your convenience: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/15-ge...cial-room.html ).
I am STILL using the Sony ES. Waiting for the doctor to give me clearance to do things like bend over and lift heavy objects. I see the Dr tomorrow and so hopefully I'll get to setup the Yamaha 3060 soon. My current setup on my 5000ES is 7.2.4, all my ATMOS speakers are UPFIRING. This is one of the reasons I went with the Sony ES. On the ES, I can select if my speakers are up firing or down firing. I can select in ceiling or not. Can the Yamaha 3060 do that? I hope so.

I'm not hating on ATMOS, and if it came across that way, I didn't mean it like that. I only have a couple 4K UHD Blu-ray Discs with ATMOS and they just aren't great sounding movies but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the movies. I have DUNKIRK and if I remember correctly it is DTS MASTER HD 7.1, yet it's the best sounding Blu-Ray that I own, so I know my equipment is capable of sounding amazing but I just don't have any good ATMOS discs to utilize the money.

Most people use their receiver for movie use. I would say that I listen to two channel audio with subwoofers for about 90% of my use, and 10% for movies. My Sony ES has a very very simple GUI and simple MIC Calibration. But since it is so simple, it doesn't have many options. Before getting my Sony ES, I had a Denon 4300 and it had Audyssey XT32 and that was an absolute disaster. The Sony ES is much easier to setup and yields a noticeably better sound. The one problem I have is that my subwoofers are finicky and the Sony ES doesn't offer things that the Yamaha 3060 is advertised to have including enhanced bass option and subwoofer trim option. Most importantly I have read that the Yamaha 3060 got a 5 out of 5 star review for audio sound. I already know it is going to be more complicated to setup compared to my ES and I already hate the Yamaha remote but I'm willing to get used to the Yamaha if I get get a better control of my subwoofers. As I mentioned I use a 7.2.4 but technically that is not correct because I have 4 big subwoofers, one in each corner. So it's really tricky to get the subs to sound right and I am really picky. If I wasn't so picky on the subs, I would've just stuck with the 5000ES. I'm really hoping the Yamaha will give me improved results.
post #6955 of 7127 Old 03-03-2019, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 248
Quote:
I am STILL using the Sony ES. Waiting for the doctor to give me clearance to do things like bend over and lift heavy objects. I see the Dr tomorrow and so hopefully I'll get to setup the Yamaha 3060 soon. My current setup on my 5000ES is 7.2.4, all my ATMOS speakers are UPFIRING. This is one of the reasons I went with the Sony ES. On the ES, I can select if my speakers are up firing or down firing. I can select in ceiling or not. Can the Yamaha 3060 do that? I hope so.

I'm not hating on ATMOS, and if it came across that way, I didn't mean it like that. I only have a couple 4K UHD Blu-ray Discs with ATMOS and they just aren't great sounding movies but I'm pretty sure it has to do with the movies. I have DUNKIRK and if I remember correctly it is DTS MASTER HD 7.1, yet it's the best sounding Blu-Ray that I own, so I know my equipment is capable of sounding amazing but I just don't have any good ATMOS discs to utilize the money.

Most people use their receiver for movie use. I would say that I listen to two channel audio with subwoofers for about 90% of my use, and 10% for movies. My Sony ES has a very very simple GUI and simple MIC Calibration. But since it is so simple, it doesn't have many options. Before getting my Sony ES, I had a Denon 4300 and it had Audyssey XT32 and that was an absolute disaster. The Sony ES is much easier to setup and yields a noticeably better sound. The one problem I have is that my subwoofers are finicky and the Sony ES doesn't offer things that the Yamaha 3060 is advertised to have including enhanced bass option and subwoofer trim option. Most importantly I have read that the Yamaha 3060 got a 5 out of 5 star review for audio sound. I already know it is going to be more complicated to setup compared to my ES and I already hate the Yamaha remote but I'm willing to get used to the Yamaha if I get get a better control of my subwoofers. As I mentioned I use a 7.2.4 but technically that is not correct because I have 4 big subwoofers, one in each corner. So it's really tricky to get the subs to sound right and I am really picky. If I wasn't so picky on the subs, I would've just stuck with the 5000ES. I'm really hoping the Yamaha will give me improved results.

Yes, the Yamaha can change height speakers between direct (ceiling) and Dolby Atmos Enabled (Upfiring), as I believe can all Atmos receivers out there.

Also, Dunkirk has a DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack, not 7.1.

Yamaha RX-A3060 7.1.4 Receiver [+Sony Power Amp for Rear Height] / Sony KD-65Z9D / JVC HD1 DILA Projector / 90" screen / OPPO UDP-203 UHD blu-ray / Apple TV 4K
Ascension Summoner 3-way Front Speakers / Ascension 3-way Centre Speaker / Peachtree D5 Surrounds / Yamaha NS-555 3-Way Rear Speakers / ERA D4 x 4 Height Speakers / Rythmik Audio F15HP Sub
post #6956 of 7127 Old 03-04-2019, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:

I'm not hating on ATMOS, and if it came across that way, I didn't mean it like that. ...

Most people use their receiver for movie use. I would say that I listen to two channel audio with subwoofers for about 90% of my use, and 10% for movies. ... I'm really hoping the Yamaha will give me improved results.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post
Yes, the Yamaha can change height speakers between direct (ceiling) and Dolby Atmos Enabled (Upfiring), as I believe can all Atmos receivers out there.

I see Craig dealt with most of your concerns and I agree. I started my system like you listening more to music than movies, but with the vastly increased sound quality provided by the 3060, my use is now pretty evenly split. I used to go mostly with the 2-channel for music, but the Enhanced DSP in the 3060 changed that also. I still often switch around listening for alternatives when dedicating to music, but the Enhanced Dolby Digital is my default. You may well have a lot to play with and discover.

Dunkirk is a really good movie, but the soundtrack was a bit disappointing to me. However, again the Enhanced DSP does wonders!

I'm glad to learn you're doing better an hope to be moving to more activity soon. I'll PM you with some personal comments not really germane to this thread. Have a good time getting on board and enjoy!
tedhontz likes this.

post #6957 of 7127 Old 03-04-2019, 10:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 261 Post(s)
Quoted: 3166 Post(s)
Liked: 7723
Quote:
... I already know it is going to be more complicated to setup compared to my ES and I already hate the Yamaha remote but I'm willing to get used to the Yamaha if I get get a better control of my subwoofers. As I mentioned I use a 7.2.4 but technically that is not correct because I have 4 big subwoofers, one in each corner. So it's really tricky to get the subs to sound right and I am really picky. If I wasn't so picky on the subs, I would've just stuck with the 5000ES. I'm really hoping the Yamaha will give me improved results.
You don't want to use Yamaha's onboard "Extra Bass" for better Sub performance.

Anyone serious about Sub Woofer calibration (especially 4 subs) would be wise to invest in a UMIK-1 calibrated mic ($75),
Download REW (Free Room EQ software) and make all room corrections for your sub channels with a miniDSP 2x4HD ($200),
By far the best/economical way to time align 4 subs (IMHO).

YPAO auto correction is only going to work for 2 subs, and only EQ down to 31.3Hz, nothing below that, and will only make minor adjustments with 4 limited bands of EQ.
The miniDSP has 2 input channels and 4 individual output channels (2x4), 10Hz capable with a UMIK-1, and 10 available EQ calibration slots per individual output channel.

I'm running about 14,000+ watts of Sub output in my small 3 seat room,
2 Front Funk Audio 18.0's, 2 Rear Velodyne 15's and 4 Crowson Motion Actuators through my miniDSP 2x4HD

The real power of that little magic black box, if you're willing to venture down the rabbit hole after basic EQ/time alignment,
is the ability to load over 600 movie titles that have had their LFE/ULF restored after the studio crippled/filtered the UHD/Bluray release
(more info in the BEQ link in my sig)

I run my room corrections for my House Curve on the 4 output channels, (that never change)
and utilize the 2 input channels for loading specific Movie BassEQ (BEQ) Low Shelf Filter adjustments.

gwsat, richlife and ChromeJob like this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD

Last edited by PioManiac; 03-04-2019 at 06:26 PM.
post #6958 of 7127 Old 03-04-2019, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Originally Posted by Craig Mecak View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PioManiac View Post
You don't want to use Yamaha's onboard "Extra Bass" for better Sub performance.

Anyone serious about Sub Woofer calibration (especially 4 subs) would be wise to invest in a UMIK-1 calibrated mic ($75),
Download REW (Free Room EQ software) and make all room corrections for your sub channels with a miniDSP 2x4HD ($200),
By far the best/economical way to time align 4 subs (IMHO).

YPAO auto correction is only going to work for 2 subs, and only EQ down to 31.3Hz, nothing below that, and will only make minor adjustments with 4 limited bands of EQ.
The miniDSP has 2 input channels and 4 individual output channels (2x4), 10Hz capable with a UMIK-1, and 10 available EQ calibration slots per individual output channel.

I'm running about 14,000+ watts of Sub output in my small 3 seat room,
2 Front Funk Audio 18.0's, 2 Rear Velodyne 15's and 4 Crowson Motion Actuators through my miniDSP 2x4HD

The real power of that little magic black box, if you're willing to venture down the rabbit hole after basic EQ/time alignment,
is the ability to load over 600 movie titles that have had their LFE/ULF restored after the studio crippled/filtered the UHD/Bluray release
(more info in the BEQ link in my sig)

I run my room corrections for my House Curve on the 4 output channels, (that never change)
and utilize the 2 input channels for loading specific Movie BassEQ (BEQ) Low Shelf Filter adjustments.

It's been awhile since I've watched DUNKIRK. I didn't remember what the exact sound configuration was. I remember I was disappointed when I looked on the back, so DTS MASTER HD 5.1 is probably correct. But, I was amazed at the sound when I listened to it. I just didn't really like the movie though. Anyone have any 4K UHD or regular Blu-Rays with "good" ATMOS sound? I'm always wanting to add to my library.

PioManiac - Wow I love the post you created. This mic calibration package may end up being my answer! Since I've already spent $$$ on the Sony ES STR-ZA5000ES and now the Yamaha 3060, I'll at least give the YPAO a try first. But more than likely I am going to purchase both items you showed.

My subs are Power Sound Audio V1801's which according to Tom at PSA, is the same as a V1811 power wise. He said they rated the V1801's way conservative in the beginning. So, 960W RMS in each corner and I honestly have to say that I have NEVER been impressed with my subs. I've tried them on three different receivers so far and they just don't seem to have much power when listening to music. On really low frequency movie sounds, they are amazing, but for most frequencies they just don't seem to be very active sounding. They aren't very musical subs if that makes sense. Power Sound Audio is a sponsor and vendor of AVS, so when I made a slightly negative comment on Power Sound Audio's thread saying I didn't think the subs were very musical, I was ran out of that thread very fast instead of given different things to try.

I used to have M&K 12" sealed subs (2) and a B&W sub that was either 8 or 10" (can't remember) and an old Fosgate Audionics sub with a replaced Sub and replaced plate amp. That was my old setup that I lost in a flood. Now I have almost $6000 in subs and I personally thought my old sub setup was better.
post #6959 of 7127 Old 03-05-2019, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 41
New Firmware Update available to v2.65:
Also online for Download: https://au.yamaha.com/en/support/upd...2060_3060.html

Code:
This firmware includes 
  1. A switch from vTuner to airable.radio as the new internet radio service provider
  2. Stability improvement
Cheers
Tom
richlife likes this.
post #6960 of 7127 Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom886 View Post
New Firmware Update available to v2.65:
Also online for Download: https://au.yamaha.com/en/support/upd...2060_3060.html

Code:
This firmware includes 
  1. A switch from vTuner to airable.radio as the new internet radio service provider
  2. Stability improvement
Cheers
Tom
This could be interesting. TuneIn is behind airable.radio...

Robert F Corbin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page