The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 236 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33137Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #7051 of 7185 Old 04-29-2019, 12:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
TrendSetterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Ok, but how does what Denon/Marnatz say about their units apply to Yamaha's? Any evidence that that is the case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Pffft! Sorry, that's not evidence, that's a forum thread. Which post supports your claim? I'm not going to read through 1110 posts to try to find YOUR evidence.
Don't bust a nail searching for it, though. You can either find a link to someone at Marantz/Denon/Sony/Yamaha saying this, or you can't. There's no shame in "Darn, I can't find it now." Been there, done that, got the tee shirts. :-}
Originally posted from mobile and thought I was pasting the link to the specific post. Regardless, as someone who works with professional installers, it's taken as a best practice by many in the industry to keep needy inputs closer to the output (and these are folks going for highest quality and fewest return service calls in order to save margin). Anecdotal, perhaps, but we live in a world where HDCP will fail if there isn't enough noise in the signal, so I will live and die by best practices whether a manufacturer specifically calls for them or not (or calls for the opposite).

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
TrendSetterX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7052 of 7185 Old 04-29-2019, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,411
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Originally posted from mobile and thought I was pasting the link to the specific post. Regardless, as someone who works with professional installers, it's taken as a best practice by many in the industry to keep needy inputs closer to the output (and these are folks going for highest quality and fewest return service calls in order to save margin). Anecdotal, perhaps, but we live in a world where HDCP will fail if there isn't enough noise in the signal, so I will live and die by best practices whether a manufacturer specifically calls for them or not (or calls for the opposite).
Ok, I get it. There is no evidence, just hearsay.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is offline  
post #7053 of 7185 Old 04-29-2019, 03:46 PM
Member
 
Audiophile75's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Also, be sure to check object decode mode is enabled on the on screen, setup, sound menu on Yamaha.

This was the problem. Atmos now works, Thank you @PlasmaPZ80U for your help.

Last edited by Audiophile75; 04-29-2019 at 07:06 PM.
Audiophile75 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #7054 of 7185 Old 04-29-2019, 07:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
Originally posted from mobile and thought I was pasting the link to the specific post. Regardless, as someone who works with professional installers, it's taken as a best practice by many in the industry to keep needy inputs closer to the output (and these are folks going for highest quality and fewest return service calls in order to save margin). Anecdotal, perhaps, but we live in a world where HDCP will fail if there isn't enough noise in the signal, so I will live and die by best practices whether a manufacturer specifically calls for them or not (or calls for the opposite).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Ok, I get it. There is no evidence, just hearsay.
Voodoo. Or tradecraft.

But don't doubt that superstition is sometimes quite real.
bwillcox likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #7055 of 7185 Old 04-30-2019, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
PlasmaPZ80U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 12,237
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2836 Post(s)
Liked: 1025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Audiophile75 View Post
Also, be sure to check object decode mode is enabled on the on screen, setup, sound menu on Yamaha.

This was the problem. Atmos now works, Thank you @PlasmaPZ80U for your help.
Glad it helped

Samsung 55" MU8000
Yamaha RX-A2070
KEF Q150 Bookshelf x 5
Rythmik L12 Sealed Subwoofer
PlasmaPZ80U is offline  
post #7056 of 7185 Old 05-10-2019, 01:33 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWbill View Post
Responding to this post from a while ago.... I just finished installing a new Sony 940E to my A2060. Same Cable Box issue, more or less- I had no sound. This baffled me and still does: My cable box is plugged into the Yamaha via HDMI. It is a direct input. The Sony TV should simply be an output, of video signal only, as the Yamaha should be playing the audio. Somehow, that ARC cable from the Yamaha to the Sony 940E reaches back inside your Yamaha amp, and rips out its vocal chords!! Madness. If you unplug the HDMI output to the TV, in 5 seconds you will hear the Cable Box audio again. This is documented as a sort of flaw in the Sony 940E. It has ARC issues when dealing with components that are the old HDMI 1.4 standard. (Your cable box)

It is not a flaw with ARC and the yamaha AVR. There are 3 solutions. One requires buying a $180 box which is insane. Another is to use an optical cable for audio from cable box to AVR. But then you have to map your audio to the optical cable when you switch to Cable box, which requires research and reading. I went for the easiest path- plug a HDMI cable from cable box to HDMI port 4 on the 940E, bypassing the Yamaha AVR. Then select port 4 on the TV input menu, and the audio automatically goes back via ARC to the Yamaha AVR. This was easiest, although there is a slight audio delay now, so I have to research adjusting the lip sync anyway....
BMWBill or anyone else with ARC issues: For a while - I would say most of 2018 my ARC was working almost fooproof. I had gone months without an issue. All was good. Until a Sony 940e update which was around November 2018. Not sure what happened but ARC seems to hardly work anymore.


Thoughts ? was it really the Sony software update or was that just coincidence. BMWbill had mentioned it's really an issue with the COX cable box. I have heard the same from my local Diamond Sony Dealer. Is there a cable box setting that could help ? I have heard COX will be updating to offer a 4k box option so perhaps I just need to wait it out.

Would the new Sony 950g TVs with eARC possibly work better in regards to ARC switching ?
HALO555 is offline  
post #7057 of 7185 Old 05-10-2019, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
TrendSetterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by HALO555 View Post
BMWBill or anyone else with ARC issues: For a while - I would say most of 2018 my ARC was working almost fooproof. I had gone months without an issue. All was good. Until a Sony 940e update which was around November 2018. Not sure what happened but ARC seems to hardly work anymore.





Thoughts ? was it really the Sony software update or was that just coincidence. BMWbill had mentioned it's really an issue with the COX cable box. I have heard the same from my local Diamond Sony Dealer. Is there a cable box setting that could help ? I have heard COX will be updating to offer a 4k box option so perhaps I just need to wait it out.



Would the new Sony 950g TVs with eARC possibly work better in regards to ARC switching ?
Sony broke ARC with updates early this year that are supposed to have been resolved by the re-release of the Oreo update last week.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
TrendSetterX is offline  
post #7058 of 7185 Old 05-10-2019, 11:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Frustrated. I have the RX-A3060 and just very recently hooked it up to the rest of my system. I can't for the life of me figure out how to pass a simple composite video signal from a LaserDisc (and a VHS machine) through the 3060, and then back out to my display using a composite connection.

Yes, I have the TV set on the proper input.

The laserdisc player composite (L&R audio) and coaxial connection are all connected to AV1.

In the number 5 area in the image, I have one composite video cord going from the yellow connection on the 3060 to the composite connection on the back of my display. And again, yes, I have the TV set to the proper input.

If everything is connected correctly, I think the issue I'm having is how to make sure the 3060 is set to output to a certain zone? There's MAIN, ZONE 2 etc. I just don't know how to get the video to pass through the 3060 to my TV.

By the way, when I hook the player up directly to the TV; it works just fine. But I need it to go through the 3060 because I have a limited number of inputs on the back of my TV.

If I can get this part working; I'll worry about the sound later!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear 3060.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	657.5 KB
ID:	2565354  

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #7059 of 7185 Old 05-11-2019, 12:27 AM
Advanced Member
 
TrendSetterX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 732
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 417 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
Frustrated. I have the RX-A3060 and just very recently hooked it up to the rest of my system. I can't for the life of me figure out how to pass a simple composite video signal from a LaserDisc (and a VHS machine) through the 3060, and then back out to my display using a composite connection.



Yes, I have the TV set on the proper input.



The laserdisc player composite (L&R audio) and coaxial connection are all connected to AV1.



In the number 5 area in the image, I have one composite video cord going from the yellow connection on the 3060 to the composite connection on the back of my display. And again, yes, I have the TV set to the proper input.



If everything is connected correctly, I think the issue I'm having is how to make sure the 3060 is set to output to a certain zone? There's MAIN, ZONE 2 etc. I just don't know how to get the video to pass through the 3060 to my TV.



By the way, when I hook the player up directly to the TV; it works just fine. But I need it to go through the 3060 because I have a limited number of inputs on the back of my TV.



If I can get this part working; I'll worry about the sound later!
If you have an HDMI cable connected between HDMI Out 1 of the 3060 and your display then you don’t need the composite connection because the 3060 is going to output over HDMI.

Theater: Sony 75x940E | Yamaha 3060 | DirecTv HR54 | ATV4K | MP 4K HDBaseT Extender | SVS PC2000 sub | 5.1 surround
Networking: ASUS RT-AC68U (wireless disabled) | Ubiquiti AmpliFi HD Mesh Wireless with wired back-hauls
Automation & Lighting: Control4 & Lutron Homeworks Interactive
TrendSetterX is offline  
post #7060 of 7185 Old 05-11-2019, 03:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrendSetterX View Post
If you have an HDMI cable connected between HDMI Out 1 of the 3060 and your display then you don’t need the composite connection because the 3060 is going to output over HDMI.
Thank you very much! Based on what you said, I went to the input select and selected the AV 1 and I was able to see the LaserDisc display it's image. The HDMI of AV 1 (area 6 on the image) is connected to a Panasonic Blu-ray player; yet I'm able to select between the two AV 1s. One AV 1 is on HDMI, and the other AV 1 is on analog connection.

However I can't do the same with my VHS machine. I have the VHS machine connected to AV 2 (area 3 on the image,) but in this case I'm not able to get the VHS machine to display it's image. The only image that does show when I select AV 2 is the Sony Blu-ray player that's connected to AV 2 HDMI (area 6 on the image.)

There is a difference however with the on screen display on how it shows the inputs. When I select AV 2, it shows up as the model number of my Sony Blu-ray player (instead of just AV 2.) I think if it only showed AV 2 as the input; I'd be able to get the VHS machine to display on the TV.

When I connected the VHS machine to AV 3 (area 3 of the image,) I was then able to select AV 3 as the input and am able to get the VHS machine to display it's image on the TV. The issue is; I need the VHS machine to be hooked up to AV 2, so I can then hook up my BETA machine to AV 3.

I wonder if the problem is with the labeling. Another words, if I renamed AV 2 input as AV 2 (instead of it showing the model number of the Sony Blu-ray player) would that help? Or do I need to do something different?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear 3060.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	657.5 KB
ID:	2565360  

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!

Last edited by Thebarnman; 05-11-2019 at 03:37 AM.
Thebarnman is offline  
post #7061 of 7185 Old 05-11-2019, 08:11 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Nope, nope, renaming inputs doesn't fix video problems, wouldn't it be nice if it was that easy. But you're so clooooose....

I'm betting the AVR recognized your Sony BD player hooked up to AV2 HDMI, and so the AVR is looking for an HDMI input on AV2. You just need to set AV2 to the analog inputs. Not sure if your model should do this automagically, or if you have to go into manual setup, inputs, and adjust it. Your manual should describe how to set up and customize the inputs, probably under "input assignment."

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #7062 of 7185 Old 05-12-2019, 02:07 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Nope, nope, renaming inputs doesn't fix video problems, wouldn't it be nice if it was that easy. But you're so clooooose....

I'm betting the AVR recognized your Sony BD player hooked up to AV2 HDMI, and so the AVR is looking for an HDMI input on AV2. You just need to set AV2 to the analog inputs. Not sure if your model should do this automagically, or if you have to go into manual setup, inputs, and adjust it. Your manual should describe how to set up and customize the inputs, probably under "input assignment."
Yea, I figured renaming a input wouldn't do it, but it does make me wonder how that input recognized the name of the unit. Yea I know; it's coming from the player via the HDMI connection I'm sure.

I will however look into what your stating under input assignment. I'll look into that. Yesterday I was able to get the audio out (optical) from the HDTV and assign it to the type of connection it is under audio input 1. I had to go into another menu to let it know I wanted the optical connection to work.

Tonight I assigned an optical out from my MiniDisc deck to audio input 2.

Now I have to see what I can do as you say to set AV 2 for the analog input. I'll be checking that out when time allows in the next couple days. In the meantime if there's anyone else that might know the answer to that; please ring in!


Thanks!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #7063 of 7185 Old 05-15-2019, 06:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Figured it out. Both my VHS machine and one of the Blu-ray players are set up on AV 2. There's a HDMI AV 2, and a composite AV 2. I couldn't get it to switch to the VHS unit. The problem was the Blu-ray player has a quick start feature meaning it was always set to a on position and the Yamaha 3060 searches out the HDMI connection first.

When I turned off the quick start feature of the Blu-ray player, the Yamaha 3060 then searched out the composite signal of AV 2 and finally found the signal coming from the VHS unit.


The receiver switches to HDMI and composite automatically. If there are two units hooked up to AV 2, it first looks for a HDMI signal of AV 2, and if there is none, it will then switch to the composite version of AV 2. Again, there was a quick start feature on the Blu-ray player that kept a signal always on at the HDMI connection, so it could not switch to the composite connection.
Craig Mecak and BrianNLS like this.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #7064 of 7185 Old 05-21-2019, 07:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
richlife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central NC
Posts: 1,528
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1071
Hi, all. Just dropping in for a quick "hello". I'll give the same promises to try to keep up more, but as usual retired life just doesn't leave time for EVERYTHING! I been spending most of my time recently trying to get the final work around my house completed so that we can just relax and do "maintenance". (BTW, I'm the handyman around here, so most of that and upgrades falls on me.) I've been running so hard in fact that I forgot to order my two movies from Bluray Rental in April! <gasp!> May movies are on the way!

One new task has been to get my new Husqvarna Automower "broken-in" on my difficult "lawn". Our house is on a 30* slope which is a challenge in itself (especially for me when I have to push a mower!), but we are also surrounded by huge, old 80-90 foot trees. Love our forest but there is no grass that truly loves shade and the Automower doesn't love patches of slanted dirt/mud. Working with a new seed mix and will see how it goes. The reason we even try is to help defend my wife (with her alpha-gal allergy) from ticks. All we want is green "lawn" (grass, clover, whatever...) and then leave most of the work to the Automower. (Someday I may tell you folks how it came to be named "Oscar".)

Despite all, I haven't completely abandoned my A3060 and HT. We recently saw the final Game of Thrones episode. Personally, contrary to many opinions, I thought Season 8 was a very appropriate end to a great and fascinating series. We got HBO this year just to see it finish. The only disappointment was the audio and video quality. After having just again watched the entire series on Bluray with Atmos, HBO just didn't cut it. Even my wife commented! But I have pre-ordered the UHD Atmos release of Season 8 and will definitely share my thoughts after I get it. Looking forward simply to re-watching the season and fitting all the parts together.
VARTV and bluechunks like this.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 05-21-2019 at 08:00 AM.
richlife is offline  
post #7065 of 7185 Old 05-28-2019, 08:52 AM
Member
 
jjurroz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone,

I have a 1060 and I'm trying to watch AppleTV/DirecTV NOW on AV2 and be able to listen to Chromecast Ultra(streaming youtube to CS) on AV3, simultaneously. Is this possible?

I know I can go to setup through the browser and set Video Out to the various Audio Inputs but in my case the audio is coming from an AV input.
jjurroz is offline  
post #7066 of 7185 Old 05-28-2019, 04:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjurroz View Post
Hi everyone,

I have a 1060 and I'm trying to watch AppleTV/DirecTV NOW on AV2 and be able to listen to Chromecast Ultra(streaming youtube to CS) on AV3, simultaneously. Is this possible?

I know I can go to setup through the browser and set Video Out to the various Audio Inputs but in my case the audio is coming from an AV input.
I'm not familiar with the 1060, but I do have the 3060. On the front panel, on mine there's a door that flips down. There's an option to individually select what zones you want turned on as you can see from the attached image. Turn on the ones you want. Then of course, make sure the audio outs are connected to the correct outputs as you can see from the other image.

One thing to note, on the remote, flip the little switch to Zone 2 to adjust the volume for Zone 2, then the the same for Zone 3.

Another thing, make sure your DirecTV (and possibly the AppleTV) is set for PCM (not Dolby Digital) since at least on the 3060, it will not pass through a Dolby Digital signal converted to analog. It will however (at least in my case) only pass through a PCM signal converted to analog.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	zones.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	154.6 KB
ID:	2572872   Click image for larger version

Name:	back.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	618.5 KB
ID:	2572874  

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #7067 of 7185 Old 05-28-2019, 04:21 PM
Member
 
jjurroz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
I'm not familiar with the 1060, but I do have the 3060. On the front panel, on mine there's a door that flips down. There's an option to individually select what zones you want turned on as you can see from the attached image. Turn on the ones you want. Then of course, make sure the audio outs are connected to the correct outputs as you can see from the other image.

One thing to note, on the remote, flip the little switch to Zone 2 to adjust the volume for Zone 2, then the the same for Zone 3.

Another thing, make sure your DirecTV (and possibly the AppleTV) is set for PCM (not Dolby Digital) since at least on the 3060, it will not pass through a Dolby Digital signal converted to analog. It will however (at least in my case) only pass through a PCM signal converted to analog.
My apologies if I wasn’t clear enough. I’m only using 1 zone, one set of speakers and 1 TV. This was the scenario:

I had a party going while playing YouTube thru the Apple TV. One of my guest wanted to watch the game. I couldn’t figure out how to watch Tv and play audio from another source (another AV source). Is this possible?
jjurroz is offline  
post #7068 of 7185 Old 05-28-2019, 05:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjurroz View Post
My apologies if I wasn’t clear enough. I’m only using 1 zone, one set of speakers and 1 TV. This was the scenario:

I had a party going while playing YouTube thru the Apple TV. One of my guest wanted to watch the game. I couldn’t figure out how to watch Tv and play audio from another source (another AV source). Is this possible?
The quick answer from me is I'm not sure. However, if you have an antenna hooked up to your TV (like I do,) you can select the antenna input on your TV to tune in the game and still listen to YouTube through the Apple TV. The only other way I could imagine that in the future and before a party...is to hook up another amp and speakers to the Zone 2 outs, select the Apple TV input for Zone 2, and have the TV show the game in your main zone (Zone 1 if you want to call it that.)

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #7069 of 7185 Old 05-29-2019, 06:14 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: S/E Michigan
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 6
2 Refurbished RX-A1060's Same Issue

I recently purchased a Yamaha factory refurbished RX-A1060 from an online retailer. When it arrived I connected a PS3, Fire TV Stick and a Roku and all the speakers before connecting the power and then powered up the receiver. I then manually set the speaker configuration per the RX-A1060 manual and some recommendations I found here. I ran YPAO and saved the configuration settings and then made a few adjustments like setting all the speakers to small and the crossover to 80 Hz for all speakers except the in ceiling speakers which I left at 120 Hz. I then started playing a Blu-ray disk on the PS3. It worked for about five minutes and then started having issues. Sound cutting in and out with volume changes, sound crackling, losing the front speaker sound with only the surround speakers playing and then suddenly the fronts come back on. The volume goes from muted to way too loud with one click of the remote volume control even though the on screen display only shows 0.5 decibel change in volume. I have checked three different inputs with different devices and they all exhibit the same issues. It also will not complete YPAO after the first successful run when it mapped out the speakers I do not have connected and set distances and levels.

My speakers are as follows:
Powered subwoofer: Klipsch R-100SW
In ceiling speakers: Klipsch R-1650-C
Surround: Klipsch Reference R-41M
Front: Klipsch Reference R-51M
Center: Klipsch R-52C

When I put my old Yamaha HTR-5250 back in the system everything works as expected. I reset the RX-A1060 to factory defaults and still the issues persisted. I took the unit to a Yamaha authorized repair facility and they were able to confirm the issues and recommended replacing the digital board which I declined and sent the unit back for replacement. The replacement arrived yesterday and it has the exact same issues as the original one. Could it be that I just got very unlucky or could there be something wrong elsewhere in my equipment or setup? Any help is very much appreciated.
ColtOne is offline  
post #7070 of 7185 Old 05-29-2019, 08:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
bwillcox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Austin, Tx
Posts: 2,411
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 931 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtOne View Post
I recently purchased a Yamaha factory refurbished RX-A1060 from an online retailer. When it arrived I connected a PS3, Fire TV Stick and a Roku and all the speakers before connecting the power and then powered up the receiver. I then manually set the speaker configuration per the RX-A1060 manual and some recommendations I found here. I ran YPAO and saved the configuration settings and then made a few adjustments like setting all the speakers to small and the crossover to 80 Hz for all speakers except the in ceiling speakers which I left at 120 Hz. I then started playing a Blu-ray disk on the PS3. It worked for about five minutes and then started having issues. Sound cutting in and out with volume changes, sound crackling, losing the front speaker sound with only the surround speakers playing and then suddenly the fronts come back on. The volume goes from muted to way too loud with one click of the remote volume control even though the on screen display only shows 0.5 decibel change in volume. I have checked three different inputs with different devices and they all exhibit the same issues. It also will not complete YPAO after the first successful run when it mapped out the speakers I do not have connected and set distances and levels.

My speakers are as follows:
Powered subwoofer: Klipsch R-100SW
In ceiling speakers: Klipsch R-1650-C
Surround: Klipsch Reference R-41M
Front: Klipsch Reference R-51M
Center: Klipsch R-52C

When I put my old Yamaha HTR-5250 back in the system everything works as expected. I reset the RX-A1060 to factory defaults and still the issues persisted. I took the unit to a Yamaha authorized repair facility and they were able to confirm the issues and recommended replacing the digital board which I declined and sent the unit back for replacement. The replacement arrived yesterday and it has the exact same issues as the original one. Could it be that I just got very unlucky or could there be something wrong elsewhere in my equipment or setup? Any help is very much appreciated.
Wow, I'd say that either you got very unlucky or there is something in your system/environment that is causing the problem. I've not owned any 1060s, but I have had and currently use a large number of Yamaha receivers and never had anything like this.
gwsat likes this.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
bwillcox is offline  
post #7071 of 7185 Old 05-29-2019, 11:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Thebarnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Scottsdale AZ
Posts: 3,376
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColtOne View Post
When I put my old Yamaha HTR-5250 back in the system everything works as expected. I reset the RX-A1060 to factory defaults and still the issues persisted. I took the unit to a Yamaha authorized repair facility and they were able to confirm the issues and recommended replacing the digital board which I declined and sent the unit back for replacement. The replacement arrived yesterday and it has the exact same issues as the original one. Could it be that I just got very unlucky or could there be something wrong elsewhere in my equipment or setup? Any help is very much appreciated.
The repair facility confirmed what you experienced, have them confirm it again with the replacement and send the unit back for replacement.


What your going through is a huge pain in the ass, the replacement should not have had the same issues. Either there's a series of these units that have a known problem (has anyone ever reported those same problems on any forums?) Or, you are truly very unlucky. You can try to have it replaced one more time, but if that unit has the same issues; get a refund or upgrade to a different model.

Also, is there a chance they could have been sent the same unit by accident? Is the serial number the same?

My unit I recently bought (3060) last January. I did not know at the time it was refurbished, but it did come from an authorized Yamaha dealer from California, and luckily the only issue I have with that one is the top of the metal is dented in at an angle. The serial number has been covered over with a sticker (but I think it's still readable) that says refurbished and that it has a one year warranty.

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
Thebarnman is offline  
post #7072 of 7185 Old 05-30-2019, 07:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Spacedave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Did you note the serial numbers to make sure the replacement was a different unit? Maybe Yamaha did not run your AVR long enough for the problem to show up and declared that it was not faulty, then sent the same one back to you.
Spacedave is offline  
post #7073 of 7185 Old 06-02-2019, 03:11 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Medford, Oregon
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Master "OFF"

I have an RX A3060 and noticed that ZONE 2 remains "ON" even after I turn off the "Main". This is probably a "feature", BUT I would like to know if I can turn off BOTH Master and ZONE 2 with a single press of the controller?
And, conversely, turn the both on with a single press...


Thanks
Nigel
nlemaire is offline  
post #7074 of 7185 Old 06-02-2019, 05:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjurroz View Post
My apologies if I wasn’t clear enough. I’m only using 1 zone, one set of speakers and 1 TV. This was the scenario:

I had a party going while playing YouTube thru the Apple TV. One of my guest wanted to watch the game. I couldn’t figure out how to watch Tv and play audio from another source (another AV source). Is this possible?
So long as everything with HDMI is running into the AVR, and the TV is running through HDMI OUT, you ought to be able to tune the TV to the game (over the air? 75 ohm cable into the TV?) while still playing music on the Apple TV. If switching inputs on the TV switches the AVR to the TV HDMI-ARC audio, then select the input for the ATV again. If this insists on changing the TV, then turn off HDMI Control (aka HDMI-CEC) on teh AVR and try again. Should work.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #7075 of 7185 Old 06-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I want to buy a Yamaha RX-A3070 or A2070 from Accessories 4 less. Should I go with the the 3070 or the 2070? What are the major differences? Better sound quality? Better video? Let me know what you guys think I should do please?
Thanks guys!
sound2017 is offline  
post #7076 of 7185 Old 06-02-2019, 06:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound2017 View Post
I want to buy a Yamaha RX-A3070 or A2070 from Accessories 4 less. Should I go with the the 3070 or the 2070? What are the major differences? Better sound quality? Better video? Let me know what you guys think I should do please?
Thanks guys!
Compare the two products on the Yamaha site -- links to the product pages can be found in post no. 1. I think you'll find the 3000 series has more amps for additional channels that you either need (or will need), and that should guide your decision.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #7077 of 7185 Old 06-02-2019, 07:26 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
rdgrimes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Nuevo Mexico
Posts: 21,720
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3850 Post(s)
Liked: 3086
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlemaire View Post
I have an RX A3060 and noticed that ZONE 2 remains "ON" even after I turn off the "Main". This is probably a "feature", BUT I would like to know if I can turn off BOTH Master and ZONE 2 with a single press of the controller?
And, conversely, turn the both on with a single press...


Thanks
Nigel
A programmable universal remote would do the job. I don't think you can do it with the Yamaha remote.
rdgrimes is offline  
post #7078 of 7185 Old 06-02-2019, 07:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
PioManiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Alberta Canada
Posts: 6,405
Mentioned: 298 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3341 Post(s)
Liked: 8449
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Compare the two products on the Yamaha site -- links to the product pages can be found in post no. 1. I think you'll find the 3000 series has more amps for additional channels that you either need (or will need), and that should guide your decision.
Both the 2070 and 3070 have the EXACT same number of built in amplifiers (9)
Either will accommodate a maximum 7.1.2 or 5.1.4 channels out of the box.

The 3070 adds two extra channels of processing only,
To expand to 11 channels requires 2 Ch external amplification for 7.1.4
(which the 2070 cannot do)
ChromeJob likes this.

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
PioManiac is offline  
post #7079 of 7185 Old 06-02-2019, 07:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
ChromeJob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: N. Carolina
Posts: 4,873
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2087 Post(s)
Liked: 1095
OOps, my goof. You're quite right Pio.
ChromeJob is offline  
post #7080 of 7185 Old 06-02-2019, 08:02 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 343
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I dont need the 11th channel. Sticking with 5.2.4. So i guess its the 2070. Doesnt the 3070 have different amps for better sound though?
sound2017 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off