The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 238 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33131Likes

post #7111 of 7127 Old 06-23-2019, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 41
You can back up the professional calibration with the web-interface, so if you think your result is not good, you upload the calibration to the receiver again.

Cheers
Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7112 of 7127 Old 06-23-2019, 11:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom886 View Post
You can back up the professional calibration with the web-interface, so if you think your result is not good, you upload the calibration to the receiver again.

Cheers
Tom
Hi Tom,

I do have the file with all the calibration info on it, but doing the audio calibration with a microphone with test tones will make the audio worse. I consider that file for emergencies only. And, it won't improve the design of my center channel's performance. I can try turning up the dialog setting, but that will only make the dialog louder while sitting in front of it...off setting the balance with the rest of the system. Off axis, it might make the dialog perform better in a way I might be able to make out the dialog...maybe, but that won't change the design of the center channel drivers since they are not capable of dispersing sound waves to the sides of the room.

If turning the dialog portion up works for those sitting off axis from the center channel, then the dialog will certainly be too loud for the person setting in the center (directly in front of it.)

I think what I need is a center channel that is capable of dispersing audio signals for those who are sitting off axis, while still maintain a sense that the audio is coming from the center. However I'm not going to do that till I buy new mains and get a center channel that match.

Even now sitting off axis, I can tell the audio is coming from the center, it's just very hard to hear. If a real person was standing where my center channel is, and if I was sitting or standing way off axis from that person, I'd still not only be able to tell where the sound is coming from, but I'd be able to understand what is being said. If a person has his hand muffling his mouth while speaking, no matter how loud he speaks, I still won't be able to understand the words.

I think the center channel speaker is the problem and I don't believe any amount of calibration can fix that. But I will just for the hell of it turn up this dialog setting and see what happens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0702.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	225.6 KB
ID:	2583752  

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #7113 of 7127 Old 06-24-2019, 03:55 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
I think the center channel speaker is the problem and I don't believe any amount of calibration can fix that. But I will just for the hell of it turn up this dialog setting and see what happens.
Try using the center in the vertical position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #7114 of 7127 Old 06-24-2019, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have trouble listening to RX-1060 via AirPods. Anybody able to do that?

Yamaha RX-A1060 | Klipsch RF-82II | PSA S1800 | Optoma UHD-60

Last edited by avs2099; 06-24-2019 at 09:28 PM.
post #7115 of 7127 Old 06-25-2019, 10:02 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
That's a really good idea. I'll do a little testing before doing so. I should be able to move around the center channel and listen to hear if the audio is dispersed vertically as apposed to horizontally. Never thought of that.

To me it's like a LCD display where the best picture possible is when your sitting directly in front of the screen, and when you go to the sides, it gets worse. It used to be early on the screens were designed to help give the best picture while your in the center, but it did not matter if you were a little above or below, but then those to the sides saw color shifts and less brightness. I understand early on someone got the brilliant idea to position the screen in front of the display differently so instead of better dispersion vertically, it was switched to provide better dispersion horizontally.

Who knows, even though the drivers in my center channel are round, the speaker itself may for what ever reason provide better dispersion vertically. I'll check and see...

Thanks!

Movies must be OAR, sports and movies must also have 5.1 audio, No EE or NO SALE!
post #7116 of 7127 Old 06-27-2019, 04:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post
I had to get back with you to let you know your suggestion worked great! I first tested a Linn Tukan (I had in another room) by sitting it on top of my center speaker and that worked really well. To test it, I sat left and right off center and I could clearly hear the dialog and tell that it was still coming from the center. I then turned my center speaker on it's side to see if it would work the same way.

Before I did that, I played a test signal from my center speaker. When I sat off axis from the center, it was like I couldn't hardly hear the test signal unless I was absolutely in front of it. I then discovered if I was to turn my center speaker on it's edge, it would be way too high and be in the way of my plasma. So I put the stand away, placed the center speaker's edge on the floor and did the same test. Low and behold the audio from that center channel was clear no matter where off axis I sat on the couch, and I could clearly hear that the audio was still coming from the center speaker.

Now my only issue at that point was to find something to place the speaker on to help support it (rather than just having it on the carpet) and so it could also be higher. I found some wood that came from the cabinets behind it that originally was meant to be used for shelving. I had the wood stored for over 20 years and never used them. I did however discover they were pretty good being used as a supporting platform for my center speaker. All the wood is the same as the cabinet and the center speaker, so that's a really nice match. I then tested the center speaker again. The audio from the center speaker sounded muffled at first, (and I couldn't place the center speaker any higher) so I took some rubber feet and tilted the front of the center speaker so the drivers could be aimed at my listening level. The results was damn good.

Now the effect from the center speaker is even better than before. Also with multi-channel music and movies, the sweet spot is in a much wider area and I can clearly hear dialog (and still tell where it's coming from) no matter where I sit on the couch.

Thanks for your suggestion!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0824.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	2585112   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0825.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	308.1 KB
ID:	2585114   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0828.JPG
Views:	29
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	2585116  

post #7117 of 7127 Old 06-27-2019, 04:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 3217 Post(s)
Liked: 2532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebarnman View Post
I had to get back with you to let you know your suggestion worked great!
Glad it worked out.
Thebarnman likes this.
post #7118 of 7127 Old 06-28-2019, 03:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs2099 View Post
I have trouble listening to RX-1060 via AirPods. Anybody able to do that?
I'm replacing my 2060 with an 880. Would be nice use my AirPods with it...

Robert F Corbin
VARTV.com | Virginia Media News & Information

email: [email protected]
facebook: facebook.com/VARTV

twitter: twitter.com/VARTV

linkedin: linkedin.com/in/VARTV

google+: plus.google.com

pinterest: pinterest.com/VARTV

post #7119 of 7127 Old 06-30-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 25
yamaha 2060 into 7.2.4

i have
a
yamaha 2060 receiver

with two svs subs
4 atmos in roof
and 4 psb bookshelf around

and a large psb center

very very happy with this setup, playing so nice for the last years!

now. I got a pair of psb bookshelf sp similar to my surround

Q
What 2 ch amp - or ....- would you recomend to get full 7.2.4 atmos setup
and how do I wire this?

Last edited by dryasanne; 07-01-2019 at 07:21 AM.
post #7120 of 7127 Old 07-01-2019, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dryasanne View Post
i have
a
yamaha 2060 receiver

with two svs subs
4 atmos in roof
and 4 psb bookshelf around

and a large psb center

very very happy with this setup, playing so nice for the last years!

now. I got a pair of psb bookshelf sp similar to my surround

Q
What 2 ch amp - or ....- would you recomend to get full 7.2.4 atmos setup
and how do I wire this?

You can't do 7.2.4 only 5.2.4 you need 3960 for 9 channel processing
post #7121 of 7127 Old 07-08-2019, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha 3060 + External Amp - What am I doing wrong here?

I'm currently set up for 5.2.2, soon expanding to 7.2.4. My plan was to use an old stereo receiver I had lying around to power my top fronts.

Part 1: My issue... I can get it working if I am powering the front's off the stereo receiver but not if I power the rears. Given this amp is only good for a bout 40wpc, I would rather use it to power my 'top fronts' instead of 'fronts'. I am using the settings in the left picture in the link below for powering the fronts, which works. But how do I tell it to power the rears instead? I've tried all the options and it's not working. There isn't an option for "FP to external amp only" but I know it's possible because plenty of people are doing it. My understanding was that pre-outs are always 'live' so if something is plugged in, it should automatically send out the signal to the external amp. But if this is the case, why have all the choices on the amp?

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/11...amp&selected=7

Part 2: I have since bought a beefier amp (Rotel RB-985) which is 100w wpc (5 channels).
1. If I only use 3 out of the 5 channels, will it produce more than 100wpc on those 3 channels? ie just plug my fronts and centre in.
2. If not, can I bi-amp 2 of the channels (to my fronts) and the remaining channel to my centre (theoretically giving 200w to the fronts and 100w to the centre channel).
3. In either instance, how do I 'tell' the Yamaha 3060 to output just the fronts and centre to the external amp.

The end goal is 7.2.4, with the Yamaha 3060 powering the 8 "surround" channels and the RB-985 bi-amped powering the fronts with the remaining channel being used on the centre.

At the moment I'm running Dali Concepts but I'm part way through some pretty hungry DIY fronts and centre where I would love the headroom of the Rotel then just rely on around 40wpc to handle the surrounds.

Cheers,
post #7122 of 7127 Old 07-09-2019, 05:19 PM
KSP

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by benthatcher View Post
I'm currently set up for 5.2.2, soon expanding to 7.2.4. My plan was to use an old stereo receiver I had lying around to power my top fronts.

Part 2: I have since bought a beefier amp (Rotel RB-985) which is 100w wpc (5 channels).
1. If I only use 3 out of the 5 channels, will it produce more than 100wpc on those 3 channels? ie just plug my fronts and centre in.
2. If not, can I bi-amp 2 of the channels (to my fronts) and the remaining channel to my centre (theoretically giving 200w to the fronts and 100w to the centre channel).
3. In either instance, how do I 'tell' the Yamaha 3060 to output just the fronts and centre to the external amp.

The end goal is 7.2.4, with the Yamaha 3060 powering the 8 "surround" channels and the RB-985 bi-amped powering the fronts with the remaining channel being used on the centre.
Either 1 or 2 will work. Use the 7.2.4 [ext. Front] config. The pre-outs will be active for all channels.

I'm running the fronts and center off an old RX-A3020 and all of the surrounds/atmos on the 3060.
post #7123 of 7127 Old 07-09-2019, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi All,

I purchased a second hand Yamaha RX-A2060 and received it today. I was doing some initial testing and put it in 9 channel stereo. The front display shows this to use FPL, L, C, R, FPR, SL, SR, RPL, RPR. All channels work except the FPR channel just hums, the FPL works fine. Any thoughts on what I could check or is the channel most likely fried?

Edit: Also worth mentioning is that the FPR Hums regardless of input.

Last edited by vorlx; 07-09-2019 at 06:01 PM.
post #7124 of 7127 Old 07-10-2019, 05:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlx View Post
Hi All,

I purchased a second hand Yamaha RX-A2060 and received it today. I was doing some initial testing and put it in 9 channel stereo. The front display shows this to use FPL, L, C, R, FPR, SL, SR, RPL, RPR. All channels work except the FPR channel just hums, the FPL works fine. Any thoughts on what I could check or is the channel most likely fried?

Edit: Also worth mentioning is that the FPR Hums regardless of input.
Sounds like a problem with your FPR channel to me. Have you tried swapping the connections to the FPR & FPL to see if the hum moves to the FPL (likely will, but might be worth checking).

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #7125 of 7127 Old 07-10-2019, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
Sounds like a problem with your FPR channel to me. Have you tried swapping the connections to the FPR & FPL to see if the hum moves to the FPL (likely will, but might be worth checking).
Are you talking about swapping the internal connections? If so, what would be required to do that? I opened up the unit and both FPR and FRL are on the same small internal circuit board which connects via a removable cable to the next adjacent set of channels. I didn't see any other connections that could be swapped.

Michael
post #7126 of 7127 Old 07-10-2019, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 861 Post(s)
Liked: 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by vorlx View Post
Are you talking about swapping the internal connections? If so, what would be required to do that? I opened up the unit and both FPR and FRL are on the same small internal circuit board which connects via a removable cable to the next adjacent set of channels. I didn't see any other connections that could be swapped.

Michael
No, just a simple swapping of the speaker connections to confirm that the problem follows the swap. If the FRL speaker then hums you will have confirmed that the problem is with the channel of the AVR and not something (less likely) with the speaker.

1) JVC DLA-NX7 & Sony 65Z9D, Yamaha CX-A5200, Outlaw Audio 7900 & 7700, UDP-203, DP-UB9000, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
2) Sony 75Z9D, Yamaha RX-A3080, 2xOutlaw Audio 2200s, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
3) Sony 75X940E, Yamaha RX-A2080, UDP-203, UBP-X800M2, Roku Ultra
post #7127 of 7127 Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwillcox View Post
No, just a simple swapping of the speaker connections to confirm that the problem follows the swap. If the FRL speaker then hums you will have confirmed that the problem is with the channel of the AVR and not something (less likely) with the speaker.
Ah, right. Yes, the issue follows the channel and not the speaker. I am working with the company that sold it to me on eBay to get a partial refund, assuming it is enough I will just keep the receiver for now. It's kind of a bummer because I was wanting to take advantage of Dolby Atmos/Presence channels. Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page