The "Official" Yamaha RX-A1060, RX-A2060 and RX-A3060 AVENTAGE AVR Thread - Page 83 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33130Likes

post #2461 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 08:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 856 Post(s)
Liked: 1070
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
I just spoke with a Yamaha dealer rep and he confirmed that Dolby Vision will NOT pass through the current Yamaha AVRs. Originally it was thought that the AVR was merely a transport, but apparently that is not the case.
I agree.

Thanks, JD. (@jdsmoothie; comes through again. Sorry we couldn't come up with a different answer, @shortyg83 )

I wonder if this can be worked out (the transport bit) or if it would require licensing for DV? (Something I wonder, not really asking for useless speculation.) This is a disappointment for all OPPO 203 owners or interested parties. I got the Yamahas for the OnScreen control and monitoring. Bypassing direct from a DV BR player to the TV is not a desirable option. Especially with only one video HDMI out.

Regardless, it will all have to wait until there is some real DV software available. In my situation, streaming is not a valid option.

Atmos/DTS:X HT in Vaulted Room -- LG OLED Settings Options
Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Base: Mirage OM-6 (FLR), MC-si (C), OM-R2 (SLR), FRx-nine (BLR)
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS

Last edited by richlife; 12-22-2016 at 09:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2462 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1064 Post(s)
Liked: 955
Quote:
I just spoke with a Yamaha dealer rep and he confirmed that Dolby Vision will NOT pass through the current Yamaha AVRs. Originally it was thought that the AVR was merely a transport, but apparently that is not the case.

In my opinion the problem has nothing to do with the receiver being able to pass Dolby vision. Because hardware wise it is Moyer than capable. The problem is the receiver won't even trigger the device to send Dolby vision in the first place. I still think that if Chromecast or the oppo put in a setting option to send Dolby vision it would work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2463 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 09:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
In my opinion the problem has nothing to do with the receiver being able to pass Dolby vision. Because hardware wise it is Moyer than capable. The problem is the receiver won't even trigger the device to send Dolby vision in the first place. I still think that if Chromecast or the oppo put in a setting option to send Dolby vision it would work.

I just copied this to the OPPO 203 Owners thread to ask that someone follow up with OPPO as DV has been a much desired option.

Yamaha RX-A3060: 7.2.4 or 7.2.2 + Zone2 (switchable); OPPO 203; LG OLED65B6P; Harmony 650 & Home Hub
Presence: ELAC A4s (FP), RSL C34Es (RP); 2 aci Titan subs; RP amp: AudioSource AMP100VS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2464 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 09:48 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
I just copied this to the OPPO 203 Owners thread to ask that someone follow up with OPPO as DV has been a much desired option.

The OPPO has two hdmi outs so this would not be a problem for them either way

post #2465 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 02:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
4 zones possible with RX-A2060 or RX-A3060?

I'm very interested in upgrading my AVR, with ability to have multi-zone audio and MusicCast. I downloaded and started to read through the owner's manual trying to decipher if 4 audio zones is possible with the RX-A2060 or the RX-A3060. Based on what I can tell, it looks like only 3 zones might be possible?

--What options would I have to get the 4th zone (and additional ones in the future)?
--Do I need to get an external amplifier to add more zones? Would I need to add the MusicCast WXC-50 preamp? That just seems a little silly if I paying for a nice Yamaha AVR.
--I could even be happy if I could have more than 2 speaker connections in Zone2 or Zone3, since my kitchen/dining rooms are open, and I don't think 2 speakers will spread the sound evenly enough. Is that possible since there are only 2 speaker connections for Zone2 or 3?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I really enjoy reading these threads--I've learned so much in such a short time, but always room to learn more!
post #2466 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 354
So here we go, another format(dv) doesn't work with the latest and greatest. So next year we buy the 3070, but it won't pass dv+ or whatever they decide is better than dv. It's a plan, to get us to spend more $. And we all fall for it.😒
post #2467 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by EF9500 View Post
So here we go, another format(dv) doesn't work with the latest and greatest. So next year we buy the 3070, but it won't pass dv+ or whatever they decide is better than dv. It's a plan, to get us to spend more $. And we all fall for it.😒
It's called marketing - and sometimes technical progress. Buy an AVR every 5 years, if technology is evolving at at an ever rapid pace then we need to expect things to change faster.

Every release will have something better(sometimes, aka different) - otherwise why would they do it?
post #2468 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 04:22 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 128
It's a bit early yet to get too disappointed. (Not that I'll be too hurt either way - bought the 3060 and a new non DV tv with unreal picture with 'just HDR10' this year, so 5-6 years at least until I replace either).
But we don't even know yet if A) they can address this in an update, B) it's actually even a limitation, as only one person has tried it thus far, C) Dolby Vision won't go the way of HD DVD.

Way too soon for sadness and hurt feelings. I'm enjoying the 3060 for what it CAN do. And that's a lot.

gwsat likes this.

Sony XBR65X930E | Yamaha RXA3060 | AudioSource AMP100VS | Oppo UDP203 | NVidia Shield | Sony SSK90ED/70ED/CNK10ED *** Looking for 2 x K10ED's!! ***| KEF Ci160ER's (4) | Sony SAWX900's (2) | SVS PC12 Plus | Monster AVS2000SS & HTPS7000SS |
post #2469 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortyg83 View Post
The OPPO has two hdmi outs so this would not be a problem for them either way

Actually, the OPPO has one HDMI video out which would be dedicated to DV and which, it appears, would have to bypass the AVR. The other is HDMI audio. So yes, you can bypass the AVR for DV which is exactly what I said that I don't want to do. DV potentially has some value, but whether it is sufficient over HDR10 to cause bypassing the Yamaha functionality is not likely and there is also not likely to be enough software for some time (years?) to support such a move.

I will continue to use my A3060 to the best of it's capability -- with or without Dolby Vision.

post #2470 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 04:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorth1a View Post
I'm very interested in upgrading my AVR, with ability to have multi-zone audio and MusicCast. I downloaded and started to read through the owner's manual trying to decipher if 4 audio zones is possible with the RX-A2060 or the RX-A3060. Based on what I can tell, it looks like only 3 zones might be possible?

--What options would I have to get the 4th zone (and additional ones in the future)?
--Do I need to get an external amplifier to add more zones? Would I need to add the MusicCast WXC-50 preamp? That just seems a little silly if I paying for a nice Yamaha AVR.
--I could even be happy if I could have more than 2 speaker connections in Zone2 or Zone3, since my kitchen/dining rooms are open, and I don't think 2 speakers will spread the sound evenly enough. Is that possible since there are only 2 speaker connections for Zone2 or 3?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I really enjoy reading these threads--I've learned so much in such a short time, but always room to learn more!
What you failed to say is how you will configure your Main zone -- that is what determines what additional zones you implement. I can't comment on the A2060, but with the A3060 with 7.x.2 in the Main zone, you can have a 2-ch Zone 2 and an HDMI output to a Zone 4 (HDTV or another AVR). You can dynamically reconfigure to 7.x.4 (w/ external amp for RP), but that removes the outputs for the 2nd zone -- so you have Main and Zone 4. With a 7.x (surround but no immersive) Main zone, I believe you can have both Zone 2 and Zone 3 as 2-ch zones. Zone 4 remains available also. (Note that if your Zone 4 out goes to an AVR, depending on it's capability, you have zoning options with it. So a Zone 4 to another A3060 could give you some interesting options. )

I have my Main set as 7.x.4. I can dynamically reconfigure to 7.x.2 which enables my Zone 2 (outside). Zone 4 remains. I have connected my Zone 4 to a less capable AVR (A820) which was setup with a separate HDTV and a 5.1 surround system. I could have added a Zone 2 off of that (but had no reason for such a setup).

post #2471 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 07:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey, long time audiophile, first time posting in this forum. Has anyone successfully reprogrammed the remote of the RX-A1060 to ID2?

I recently bought a RX-A1060 and i have an older Yamaha HTR-5990 both in my theatre room, mounted very close actually. They both use ID1 for the remote. I really don't need to use the HTR-5990's remote for much other than turning it on and off. However I would still like to figure out how to turn the RX-A1060's remote to ID2 because I have an RX-A760 in my living room.

I'm only using the HTR-5990 as an amp for another zone (billiard room & bar area) So i could just tape off the IR rcvr on the ole HTR and just get up to turn it off and on.. but i'd rather get the remote right so they don't get mixed up with the living room A760..
Changing the RX-A1060 Rcvr from ID1 to ID2 was pretty easy

Changing the remote is a different story. On page 132 of the CD-ROM manual says it says to do this:
To select ID1, hold down the Cursor key (<|) and SCENE1 (BD/DVD) together for 3 seconds.
To select ID2, hold down the Cursor key (<|) and SCENE2 (TV) together for 3 seconds.

I have tried that, but it doesn't say if i hold that cursor on the AVR and the SCENE2 button on the remote? it isn't working and i've tried quite a few different scenarios with the vague instructions.

Has anyone successfully reprogrammed the remote of the RX-A1060 to ID2?
post #2472 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 08:01 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3744 Post(s)
Liked: 2941
Quote:
So here we go, another format(dv) doesn't work with the latest and greatest.
There is zero evidence to support this.
dwaleke and richlife like this.
post #2473 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 09:53 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorth1a View Post

In a nutshell there's 3 audio zones available for the RXA2060 / RXA3060.
Zone 4 is an independant HDMI output (to connect to another TV or AVR).
To my knowledge, there's no 4 audio zone AVR's on the market... 11 channel yes, but not 4 independant audio zones.

Next - why do you want the amp to do so many zones?
You can buy a single zone amp + 3 WXA50's and achieve the same result AND more!
Why?
Let me explain.

MusicCast can stream any source to any room.
However, when you use an on-line streaming service like Spotify, the app sees the receiver as one device... not a multi-zone device.
This means...
If someone is watching a Blu-ray in the main 5.1 zone and someone wants to play Spotify in Zone 2 or Zone 3, then as soon as they attempt to connect Spotify they will immediately take over the 5.1 zone, as well as the zone they want to send Spotify to!

This is the same with all brands of amplifiers I have ever used.

Again, it's because there's only one network card / IP address on the receiver, meaning Spotify only sees one amp... not a multi-zoned beast.

Once Spotify is playing, you CAN switch the main zone back to the Blu-ray movie... but it'll annoy people!

However, if you stack WXA50 amps instead, you'll get autonomous network connectivity when it comes to streaming Spotify etc AND the ability to link all the sources via MusicCast.
Autonomy is your friend in multi-room audio, trust me.
post #2474 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by richlife View Post
I agree.

Thanks, JD. (jdsmoothie comes through again. Sorry we couldn't come up with a different answer, @shortyg83 )

I wonder if this can be worked out (the transport bit) or if it would require licensing for DV? (Something I wonder, not really asking for useless speculation.) This is a disappointment for all OPPO 203 owners or interested parties. I got the Yamahas for the OnScreen control and monitoring. Bypassing direct from a DV BR player to the TV is not a desirable option. Especially with only one video HDMI out.

Regardless, it will all have to wait until there is some real DV software available. In my situation, streaming is not a valid option.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
There is zero evidence to support this.
@rdgrimes - I'm confused by your reply.

My plan was LGOLED55C6P (I'd go 65 but was veto'd on that size for the intended location) < RX A-3060 < { Xbox, AppleTV, DirecTV, Amazon }. The apparent no-go on DV thru the 3060 has me looking around to see what alternatives to there are. Prior to that I was 'sold' on the Yamaha, and have already read/skimmed the manual cover to cover. Yamaha's strong "no" without "but maybe later with firmware" has me rethinking the plan.

Then again, maybe 3070 will solve it. One can hope.
post #2475 of 7108 Old 12-22-2016, 10:58 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Single band - 2.4Ghz
Thanks. You'd think with all the "stickers on the box" this info would be in the basic specs, but i guess no.. lol.
post #2476 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightandsound View Post
@rdgrimes - I'm confused by your reply.

My plan was LGOLED55C6P (I'd go 65 but was veto'd on that size for the intended location) < RX A-3060 < { Xbox, AppleTV, DirecTV, Amazon }. The apparent no-go on DV thru the 3060 has me looking around to see what alternatives to there are. Prior to that I was 'sold' on the Yamaha, and have already read/skimmed the manual cover to cover. Yamaha's strong "no" without "but maybe later with firmware" has me rethinking the plan.

Then again, maybe 3070 will solve it. One can hope.
Onkyo rz passes dv.
post #2477 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 03:59 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked: 469
I am probably being dumb, but I haven't found a reference to this Chromecast Ultra DV update. Mine is on 78017, which Google seem to say is the latest, but Netflix still uses HDR10, not DV. YouTube doesn't seem to have any DV test videos.

So what Chromecast firmware are people using and what apps to test?

Edit: OK, I should have read the last few pages more closely. Now I see it was tested with Netflix and Vudu. Can't test with the latter, but will try and direct connect and see if I get DV. It's a bit tricky to get it swapped over so it would still be good to know the firmware version that supports DV.

I'd say this should be fixable in firmware. There has never been any mention in Dolby material about AVRs needing special hardware. Hopefully Yamaha will come up with the goods as both the Chromecast and the Oppo will support DV well before the 3070 comes out.

Last edited by jong1; 12-23-2016 at 04:12 AM.
post #2478 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowklew View Post
Hey, long time audiophile, first time posting in this forum. Has anyone successfully reprogrammed the remote of the RX-A1060 to ID2?

I recently bought a RX-A1060 and i have an older Yamaha HTR-5990 both in my theatre room, mounted very close actually. They both use ID1 for the remote. I really don't need to use the HTR-5990's remote for much other than turning it on and off. However I would still like to figure out how to turn the RX-A1060's remote to ID2 because I have an RX-A760 in my living room.

I'm only using the HTR-5990 as an amp for another zone (billiard room & bar area) So i could just tape off the IR rcvr on the ole HTR and just get up to turn it off and on.. but i'd rather get the remote right so they don't get mixed up with the living room A760..
Changing the RX-A1060 Rcvr from ID1 to ID2 was pretty easy

Changing the remote is a different story. On page 132 of the CD-ROM manual says it says to do this:
To select ID1, hold down the Cursor key (<|) and SCENE1 (BD/DVD) together for 3 seconds.
To select ID2, hold down the Cursor key (<|) and SCENE2 (TV) together for 3 seconds.

I have tried that, but it doesn't say if i hold that cursor on the AVR and the SCENE2 button on the remote? it isn't working and i've tried quite a few different scenarios with the vague instructions.

Has anyone successfully reprogrammed the remote of the RX-A1060 to ID2?
Go to your webcontrol/setup on a computer assuming the avr is connected to your network.
then click on advanced setup, you can change the remote id there with a few clicks.

For instance my router has assigned the avr to http:// 10.0.0.6
so use 10.0.0.6/setup or where ever the router has assigned the avr.
there is no space between // and the 10, just did it this way so there would be no live link.

Old Mike

Vizio-d58u-d3, Yamaha-TSR-7810
Fronts-JBL-S38II, Center-Infinity Extra Center Two
Sides-Klipsch KB-15, In-Ceiling-Yamaha NSIC600WH
SUB-Bic-F12, Technics SL-D2 Turntable
post #2479 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 06:16 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post
I am probably being dumb, but I haven't found a reference to this Chromecast Ultra DV update. Mine is on 78017, which Google seem to say is the latest, but Netflix still uses HDR10, not DV. YouTube doesn't seem to have any DV test videos.

Edit: OK, I should have read the last few pages more closely. Now I see it was tested with Netflix and Vudu. Can't test with the latter, but will try and direct connect and see if I get DV. It's a bit tricky to get it swapped over so it would still be good to know the firmware version that supports DV.

I'd say this should be fixable in firmware. There has never been any mention in Dolby material about AVRs needing special hardware. Hopefully Yamaha will come up with the goods as both the Chromecast and the Oppo will support DV well before the 3070 comes out.

You are on the correct firmware

post #2480 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jong1 View Post

Yamaha stated it WONT pass dv.
post #2481 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 08:45 AM

Quote:
This is incorrect, nothing of the sort has been stated by Yamaha.
whitey019 and richlife like this.
post #2482 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As far as I know, Yamaha said "doesn't" -- no future statements.

Quote:
@rdgrimes has posted the clearest responses that I think we can get. Either some folks aren't reading, aren't understanding or just want to make up their own opinions.

Quote:
I've had a tiny glimpse of the man behind the curtain on this, and my impression is that Dolby has their hands FIRMLY on the reins for all this. So until proven otherwise we should assume that whatever is happening, its Dolby in control of it.
Quote:
... While DV doesn't require the extra bandwidth of HDMI 2.0, every device capable of sending DV requires HDCP 2.2 in order to send 4K in the first place. My hunch is that the Chromecast is doing this wrong, but again I'll repeat: because there are no standards for any of this, (or specs), we just don't know. It may be another year before anything is known for certain about DV support in AVRs. Clearly the Chromecast is insisting on direct connection to a display. If any other AVRs are passing DV from Chromecast I haven't heard about it. Dolby themselves may be demanding certain behavior from Chromcast based on their own desire for licensing fees. Again, nobody knows.
The bold is mine.

There is no way to anticipate -- it's up to Dolby to start with and, eventually, the AVR manufacturers to decide how to handle THEIR equipment. Anything else is useless speculation.

post #2483 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 08:58 AM

^^^
I'll add to that: If Yamaha is looking into the ability to pass DV in the **60 series units, they are forbidden from talking about it by - you guessed it - Dolby.
There's no hardware limitation that would prevent Yamaha passing it through as far as anyone knows. But Yamaha cannot even state support for DV pass-through without permission from Dolby. So if asked, they MUST say no or "no comment" or "I don't know".
post #2484 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 09:02 AM

Chrome cast passes dv to my e6p using an onkyo rz800. Its up to Yamaha to fix this.
post #2485 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Onkyo rz passes dv.
I don't see it discussed in the product specs or (basic?!) manual for the 3100. Can you give some more details? Have you witnessed it doing so (and in what configuration)? Thanks.
post #2486 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 03:17 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 211
Glad I held off on my 2060/3060 purchase. I have a Vizio P-series that supports DV and was planning to get an Oppo once it gets its firmware update. Guess I've waited this long..I can wait a bit longer to see if Yamaha will/can patch the 60s or force the purchase of a 70

Vizio P65-C1
post #2487 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 03:52 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 248 Post(s)
Quoted: 3066 Post(s)
Liked: 7383
My smart TV, an LG 65B6P OLED plays Netflix 4K DV direct from my wireless router.
For audio I run a Digital Optical to my Yamaha AVR (Audio 1) for 5.1, Up Mixed to 7.1.4 w/DSU.

No Problemo

The Unfinished Basement Theater & Whisky Guitar Lounge | Bass EQ for Filtered Movies
JVC DLA X750 4K Projector | 120" Powered Drop Screen | 65" LG 65B6P OLED | Panasonic DMP UB900 | Oppo UDP 203 | HDFury Vertex
Yamaha RX-A3070 | 7.4.4.4 | Mission M3i x11 | Funk Audio 18.0 x2 | Velodyne DLS 5000R x2 | Crowson LvL3 MA x4 | miniDSP 2x4HD
post #2488 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 03:56 PM

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked: 211
If I get an Oppo for DV, I'm going to want DD+ Atmos not unmixed. Cat get DD+ via optical.

Vizio P65-C1
post #2489 of 7108 Old 12-23-2016, 08:48 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Video output dimming problem

I just upgraded to the RX-A1060. I love it so far except one issue that I'm having. Ever since I installed the receiver, my tv screen dims at seemingly random times. I've checked my tv settings so I know it's not that. Sometimes it's when I change the change on my Directv. Other times, I'll be watching the same content and about 15 minutes into it, the screen dims on my tv. If I go into a menu on the TV the normal brightens returns but the problem comes back after 15 minutes or if I change the channel on the Direct. This has to be due to the receiver. Any ideas? Is there a setting that I havent gotten to yet? I'm using the BD/DVD HMDI input and HDMI 1 output if that helps.
post #2490 of 7108 Old 12-24-2016, 02:14 AM

Mentioned: 689 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21835 Post(s)
Liked: 11832
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Lanier View Post
I just upgraded to the RX-A1060. I love it so far except one issue that I'm having. Ever since I installed the receiver, my tv screen dims at seemingly random times. I've checked my tv settings so I know it's not that. Sometimes it's when I change the change on my Directv. Other times, I'll be watching the same content and about 15 minutes into it, the screen dims on my tv. If I go into a menu on the TV the normal brightens returns but the problem comes back after 15 minutes or if I change the channel on the Direct. This has to be due to the receiver. Any ideas? Is there a setting that I havent gotten to yet? I'm using the BD/DVD HMDI input and HDMI 1 output if that helps.
Although this issue may not have presented prior to adding the A1060, try connecting the DTV box directly to the TV to see if the issue still presents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
1060 , arc , computer , dolby atmos , lgtv , OLED65C6P , RX-A1060 , RX-A3060 , savant , Sonos , Yamaha , yamaha 1060

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page