Denon X2200W - Enough power? - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 14Likes

post #31 of 33 Old 06-03-2016, 01:25 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1003 Post(s)
Liked: 1697
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazinvan View Post
@GIEGAR

My X2200 is driving 5.1 speakers with these specs:

L/R towers
System: 2-way, three-driver direct-radiating system, vented enclosure with two rear-firing flared ports.
Drivers: Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter, two custom 5.25" long-throw mid-woofers
Frequency Response: ±1.35db 200Hz to 20KHz; ± 3 dB 38 Hz to 20 KHz
Crossover Point: 2.5kHz
Slope: 12dB acoustic
Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal
Efficiency: 87dB (@ 1 watt / 1 meter)

Center
System: Three way, four driver direct-radiating system, vented enclosure with rear-firing flared port
Drivers: Vifa Ring Radiator tweeter, one custom 4" midrange and two custom 6.5" long-throw aluminum cone woofers
Crossover: 580 Hz and 3.0 kHz
Frequency Response: ± 0.9dB / 44Hz to 20KHz (± 3dB)
Impedance: 8 Ohms nominal
Efficiency: 89 dB (@ 1 watt / 1 meter)

(plus small surrounds and a sub)

Filling a room that is 14'L x 11'W x 8'H. I'm happy with the way things sound. I was interested in your response above, and I noticed that my center has a different sensitivity than my L/R channels. Given no gain in the receiver in any channel, will my center play louder than the left and right channels? What makes a speaker more or less sensitive?

Cheers.
Sorry Kazinvan, I got the message but forgot to come back.

Mike's got you well covered on the differences in sensitivity. Yes, theoretically the centre will play approximately 2dB louder with the same input power. However, the AVR's setup routine takes this (and all other variables, like distance) into account by setting the individual channel level trims such that a digital input signal of known amplitude measures a target output SPL at the listening position. In Audyssey's case, a -30dBFS "log chirp" is set to measure 75dBSPL at the first measurement position. As Mike said, the higher sensitivity speaker will just require less input power to play at any given SPL.

There are a whole range of factors affecting speaker sensitivity, including driver design/type, size and number and the design choices made by the loudspeaker designer. The designer must trade-off sensitivity, cabinet size and low frequency extension (discussed further here). In the case of your centre, it's 2dB of extra sensitivity over the towers is due to a combination of factors, including the additional cone area of the midrange and larger woofers allowing the speaker to be able to play louder over it's slightly reduced bandwidth (lower F3 of 44Hz vs 38Hz).

Hope that explains it a bit... I don't know a great deal about loudspeaker design.
D Bone and kazinvan like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 Old 06-03-2016, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Thanks everyone! After a bit of back and forth - I think I've made my decision. I spoke to a few AVS members outside of this thread and have decided to go with the Klipsch Reference Premiere speakers. They seem to be better aligned with my amp and seem to be highly regarded at the price point. Again - thanks for the always great, always appreciated feedback & direction!
post #33 of 33 Old 07-19-2016, 01:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan3300 View Post
Thanks everyone! After a bit of back and forth - I think I've made my decision.
Hi Jonathan, did you buy the x2200w eventually?
How do you like it with your 5.0?

I'm building piece by piece my HT as well and I'm at the moment of choosing the receiver. I too live in an apartment block (though I don't share walls with neighbors...long story) and I'm looking for something which can drive 5 speakers without kicking the volume too high.

What's your experience so far? Do you think the x2200w fits the bill?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page