Stereo setup trying to play 5.1 surround - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-30-2016, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Stereo setup trying to play 5.1 surround

I've got a Yamaha RX-V363 with stereo speakers (Allison Fours) connected to a Samsung smart TV with an optical cable. Sometimes there's an audio/video source on the TV (eg. HBO app) that outputs 5.1 surround sound to the receiver, which I can see by the input indicators on the receiver. When that happens, it seems like there is a big difference between the audio level of dialog and the audio level of music or sound effects. When there is dialog I have to turn the volume up, but then the sound effects are way too loud.

In the receiver settings, I've got it set to "2 Speakers". I can't find any settings on the TV or the app to limit the audio to 2 channels.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I'm not sure if I should be looking for a fix on the TV or the receiver.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-31-2016, 02:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 727 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22383 Post(s)
Liked: 12181
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamyu View Post
I've got a Yamaha RX-V363 with stereo speakers (Allison Fours) connected to a Samsung smart TV with an optical cable. Sometimes there's an audio/video source on the TV (eg. HBO app) that outputs 5.1 surround sound to the receiver, which I can see by the input indicators on the receiver. When that happens, it seems like there is a big difference between the audio level of dialog and the audio level of music or sound effects. When there is dialog I have to turn the volume up, but then the sound effects are way too loud.

In the receiver settings, I've got it set to "2 Speakers". I can't find any settings on the TV or the app to limit the audio to 2 channels.

Is there anything I can do to prevent this? I'm not sure if I should be looking for a fix on the TV or the receiver.

Thank you.
You should be able to disable Dolby Digital which will then pass PCM 2.0.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8961 Post(s)
Liked: 6128
Page 36 tells you how to put it in 2 channel "straight" mode which means there is no surround processing when playing in stereo.

Try this first, this should solve your problem.

Page 22 and 23 of your manual tell you how to set your speakers to large with no center, surrounds or subwoofer.

Page 45 & 46 go into a bit more detail.

http://download.yamaha.com/api/asset...asset_id=35549
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 05-31-2016, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Problem solved. It wasn't exactly what you advised, but I did find the solution in the section of the Yamaha manual that you directed me to, so thanks.

The solution was to set the receiver's sound field program to 2 channel stereo (page 34 of the manual). It had been set to Straight, which is the setting that is automatically selected for PCM sources above 48 KHz.

A couple other side notes:
- On the TV, when I select External Speakers, the only output format that it gives me is PCM. Dolby Digital is greyed out and can't be selected. Not sure why. For most programming, I see a PCM indicator on the receiver and the audio is fine. For some programming though, I see a Dolby Digital indicator, and that's when I had the problem.
- On the receiver, I had already set it to 2 Speaker mode (as suggested by gajCA), so that alone wasn't enough to solve the problem.

Thanks for the responses and for steering me in the right direction.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
5.1 , stereo , surround

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page