Monoprice Monolith 7 Amplifier Review - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 345Likes

post #781 of 800 Old 01-13-2020, 06:47 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Sounds a bit strange. Wasn't trying to sell you a more expensive amp at the time, was he? I'd like to hear the specifics as to why.....
No, not really. If anything he was trying to convince me that buying the ATI 6007 would have very low diminishing returns for my money. I don't remember too much about the rest. The conversation was a long time ago, probably a few years now.
jsgrise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 800 Old 01-14-2020, 11:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bruckheimer Fan View Post
I was told by an ATI amp dealer that ATI and ATI-built amps like the Monolith 7 are not a good pairing with speakers that have folding ribbon tweeters like the Goldenear or the Emotiva speakers. Does anyone have any comment about this?

Balderdash!

Jeff
post #783 of 800 Old 01-14-2020, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 1091 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
I was told by an ATI amp dealer that ATI and ATI-built amps like the Monolith 7 are not a good pairing with speakers that have folding ribbon tweeters like the Goldenear or the Emotiva speakers. Does anyone have any comment about this?
Probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. What did he want to sell you instead?

ATI was started by Morris Kessler. Mr. Kessler has been building and selling solid state audio amplifiers since 1967. He founded SAE, one of the most respected brands in the "golden age" of stereo and he has designed for Dynaco, Crestron, Adcom, Integra Research, B&K, Aragon, BGW, Theta Digital, Outlaw Audio, Hervic, DataSat, and others.

ATI is one of the best amplifiers available at any price and will drive any ribbon, AMT, electrostatic, or dynamic driver manufactured today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 800 Old 01-14-2020, 05:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
The impendence of the GoldenEar Triton as shown in the Stereophile measurements is about 5 ohms and the phase angle is about zero degrees. That's really not a hard load for an amplifier.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

ATI amplifiers, like about every other transistor power amplifier (don't know about Mc's with the output transformers), have an output coil of copper wire (an inductor, positive phase angle) in series with the output. This coil is in parallel with a resistor. In ATI multi-channel units this coil is usually mounted against the back of each channel, close to the outputs. In many pictures of the inside of transistor power amplifiers these copper coils are visible.

This output inductor is installed specifically to offset any capacitive (negative phase angle) loads at higher frequencies.

There is no reason that ATI amplifiers should have trouble with the load presented by the GoldenEar. ATI amplifiers have a generally similar design to many other class A/B amplifiers. If anything, they are more conservative with more protection built-in.
jsgrise likes this.
post #785 of 800 Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
The impendence of the GoldenEar Triton as shown in the Stereophile measurements is about 5 ohms and the phase angle is about zero degrees. That's really not a hard load for an amplifier.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/...r-measurements

ATI amplifiers, like about every other transistor power amplifier (don't know about Mc's with the output transformers), have an output coil of copper wire (an inductor, positive phase angle) in series with the output. This coil is in parallel with a resistor. In ATI multi-channel units this coil is usually mounted against the back of each channel, close to the outputs. In many pictures of the inside of transistor power amplifiers these copper coils are visible.

This output inductor is installed specifically to offset any capacitive (negative phase angle) loads at higher frequencies.

There is no reason that ATI amplifiers should have trouble with the load presented by the GoldenEar. ATI amplifiers have a generally similar design to many other class A/B amplifiers. If anything, they are more conservative with more protection built-in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post
Probably one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. What did he want to sell you instead?

ATI was started by Morris Kessler. Mr. Kessler has been building and selling solid state audio amplifiers since 1967. He founded SAE, one of the most respected brands in the "golden age" of stereo and he has designed for Dynaco, Crestron, Adcom, Integra Research, B&K, Aragon, BGW, Theta Digital, Outlaw Audio, Hervic, DataSat, and others.

ATI is one of the best amplifiers available at any price and will drive any ribbon, AMT, electrostatic, or dynamic driver manufactured today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Balderdash!

Jeff
Yeah, I thought so. I don't really know why he said that but I didn't make sense to me at the time but I decided not to question it at the time and decided to look into at a later time, but slipped my mind. It's not the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. That goes to a young man at a Best Buy Magnolia that told me thicker gauge speaker wires would have MORE resistance than thinner ones.
post #786 of 800 Old 01-14-2020, 10:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Is the monolith 11 worth the price premium over the Yamaha ax-5000?
post #787 of 800 Old 01-14-2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewynuts View Post
Is the monolith 11 worth the price premium over the Yamaha ax-5000?
It depends on whether you need/want the extra power in the front 3 channels. If you have harder-to-drive or less sensitive speakers, then yeah maybe.
post #788 of 800 Old 01-15-2020, 06:03 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked: 705
Quote:
Yeah, I thought so. I don't really know why he said that but I didn't make sense to me at the time but I decided not to question it at the time and decided to look into at a later time, but slipped my mind. It's not the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. That goes to a young man at a Best Buy Magnolia that told me thicker gauge speaker wires would have MORE resistance than thinner ones.
Being in sales myself (real estate broker), it always shock me what some salesman can pull out in front of clients to try to make a sale. Mind bending!

MAKE AUDIO GREAT AGAIN | Dedicated Sonus faber HT 7.2.4 | FRONTS: Sonus Faber Venere 2.0 CENTER: Sonus Faber Venere Centre FRONT WIDES: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 SURROUNDS: Sonus Faber Venere 1.5 TF/TR - ATMOS-DTS:X: Sonus Faber Venere Wall (4) | RECEIVER: Marantz SR7010 AMPLIFICATION: Monolith 7x200 | SUBWOOFERS: Dual 18" Dayton RSS460 Custom Build | Behringer iNuke 6000DSP | Velodyne SMS-1 DISPLAY: JVC D-ILA RS-46 w/ 128" 16:9 1.4 TREATMENT: Custom Bass Traps and Acoustic Panels (11)
post #789 of 800 Old 01-15-2020, 07:31 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 795 Post(s)
Liked: 813
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by b curry View Post

b curry,

I totally agree on the ATI amps.
I now have Classe' amps currently and soon, hopefully will add Atmos and then going with the ATI Amp. for the 6-in-ceiling Triad speakers.

Terry
post #790 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 07:58 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 557 Post(s)
Liked: 307
Just been investigating this amp. The MONOPRICE site says it is not available. Out of production? Or does this amp go through recurring periods of being sold out? How long has it been since it was last available, if anyone knows? Thanks...
post #791 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 08:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emaych View Post
Just been investigating this amp. The MONOPRICE site says it is not available. Out of production? Or does this amp go through recurring periods of being sold out? How long has it been since it was last available, if anyone knows? Thanks...

I am fairly certain that the amp goes in and out of stock due to availability from ATI.

Jeff
post #792 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
I am fairly certain that the amp goes in and out of stock due to availability from ATI.

Jeff
Thank you for that quick response, Jeff! Much appreciated. Know of anywhere else to shop for one? -- AMAZON and AUDIOGON have nothing to show. I presume from your comment, they are made by ATI, so is there an equivalent model about the same price from ATI directly?
post #793 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 09:07 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 4800 Post(s)
Liked: 2816
Quote:
Thank you for that quick response, Jeff! Much appreciated. Know of anywhere else to shop for one? -- AMAZON and AUDIOGON have nothing to show. I presume from your comment, they are made by ATI, so is there an equivalent model about the same price from ATI directly?

Actual ATI amps are better built and more expensive. The AT4007 (200 watts per, seven-channel) is a fully balanced, differential A/B and a bit over $6,000. Their AT527NC (200 watts per, seven-channel) is a class "D" amp and it's just north of $4,000.

Listen up, studios! Dolby Atmos Lite™ print-outs must stop!!
post #794 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 09:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Hitchman View Post
Actual ATI amps are better built and more expensive. The AT4007 (200 watts per, seven-channel) is a fully balanced, differential A/B and a bit over $6,000. Their AT527NC (200 watts per, seven-channel) is a class "D" amp and it's just north of $4,000.
Wow! OK then. Thanks so much for your response, Dan. I just had my Plinius Odeon go south on me. I see I can still buy a new one for about $17K, but thought I would just get a smaller, perhaps back-up amp on the cheap. I guess I wait for availability...
Mike
post #795 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Wow! OK then. Thanks so much for your response, Dan. I just had my Plinius Odeon go south on me. I see I can still buy a new one for about $17K, but thought I would just get a smaller, perhaps back-up amp on the cheap. I guess I wait for availability...
Mike

Outlaw Audio has two somewhat stripped down ATI signature class AB amp sisters with fully balanced topology at a cheaper price. Not quite as inexpensive as the Monoprice amps, which are based on older ATI models to keep the costs down, but not in the stratosphere.The Model 7220 with 220 watts per is $2799

Last edited by Dan Hitchman; 01-17-2020 at 09:29 AM.
post #796 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 10:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Outlaw Audio has two somewhat stripped down ATI signature class AB amp sisters with fully balanced topology at a cheaper price. Not quite as inexpensive as the Monoprice amps, which are based on older ATI models to keep the costs down, but not in the stratosphere.The Model 7220 with 220 watts per is $2799
Thanks for the help, brotherman! Really appreciate your guidance in narrowing down the options, otherwise it is almost just too daunting to search and weigh and consider. I think this comes down to spending a huge chunk of money for what sounds the best (the Plinius), or going for something that would mostly fill the bill. I have two Odeons, the Odeon that went out of whack was just for all the rear channels, so maybe the difference will not be quite so stark with a lesser prospect? Anyway, much to deliberate in the middle of my desperate plight -- I just lost part of my world! Again, thanks Dan!
post #797 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 11:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1239 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
All the Monoprice Monolith power amplifiers go in and out of stock. Lots of people seem to want them if that tells you something. The two power amplifiers that go in and out of stock, or have lead-times that I see are the Monoprice units and the AHB2 power amplifiers from Benchmark. The Benchmark units are in a different, elite league (one member) of performance, and cost more. Lots of people want them as well.

Just register on the page for the Monoprice model you want to be notified when that model comes back in stock. Monoprice will send you an email when the unit is in stock. Go the site and buy the unit. Pretty simple. The units normally come back in stock quite quickly.

Monoprice has the best deal on ATI "flavor" amps.

Outlaw no longer appears to be competitive on ATI made amplifiers. For example: among other design decisions, the Model 7220 has fans, which add moving parts, internal accumulation of dirt and dust, and potentially noise, to a normally quiet and reliable type of product. It is also expensive for the value received IMNVHO.

There are dealers who sell ATI amplifiers at discounts. Do some shopping if the ATI units are of interest. It's hard to beat the Monoprice units however unless you need over 200W per channel at 8 ohms.
post #798 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the help, brotherman! Really appreciate your guidance in narrowing down the options, otherwise it is almost just too daunting to search and weigh and consider. I think this comes down to spending a huge chunk of money for what sounds the best (the Plinius), or going for something that would mostly fill the bill. I have two Odeons, the Odeon that went out of whack was just for all the rear channels, so maybe the difference will not be quite so stark with a lesser prospect? Anyway, much to deliberate in the middle of my desperate plight -- I just lost part of my world! Again, thanks Dan!

I doubt you will hear much difference between these less expensive amp alternatives and the Plinius and Odeons. A lot of it comes down to the placebo effect. You paid x amount of dollars and of course it sounds better (it just HAS to) when it's usually not the case.

post #799 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 12:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigguyca View Post
All the Monoprice Monolith power amplifiers go in and out of stock. Lots of people seem to want them if that tells you something. The two power amplifiers that go in and out of stock, or have lead-times that I see are the Monoprice units and the AHB2 power amplifiers from Benchmark. The Benchmark units are in a different, elite league (one member) of performance, and cost more. Lots of people want them as well.

Just register on the page for the Monoprice model you want to be notified when that model comes back in stock. Monoprice will send you an email when the unit is in stock. Go the site and buy the unit. Pretty simple. The units normally come back in stock quite quickly.

Monoprice has the best deal on ATI "flavor" amps.

Outlaw no longer appears to be competitive on ATI made amplifiers. For example: among other design decisions, the Model 7220 has fans, which add moving parts, internal accumulation of dirt and dust, and potentially noise, to a normally quiet and reliable type of product. It is also expensive for the value received IMNVHO.

There are dealers who sell ATI amplifiers at discounts. Do some shopping if the ATI units are of interest. It's hard to beat the Monoprice units however unless you need over 200W per channel at 8 ohms.
Thanks for all that help! Really appreciate that you were willing to put the time into composing all that -- and from halfway around the world no less! (I'm in San Diego, CA, stateside). I actually did already ask to be notified by Monoprice, and regardless of what I may do about the Plinius amp that went wrong, I may just pick up a back-up to drop in if I get it repaired, then something else goes wrong. Thanks again!
post #800 of 800 Old 01-17-2020, 01:01 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I doubt you will hear much difference between these less expensive amp alternatives and the Plinius and Odeons. A lot of it comes down to the placebo effect. You paid x amount of dollars and of course it sounds better (it just HAS to) when it's usually not the case.
Well, certainly wouldn't mean to bat a hornet's nest, and I'm sure there is something to: bucks equates to more favorable evaluation, but I've compared side-by-side, even to the highly touted Krell 5 channel of years ago. There wasn't a contest. And I've owned one of the other multichannels, I think also made by, or using the ATI model, but can't remember the exact brand -- think it's available from Southern California (but might be wrong about that).

Whether I've tricked my mind, or really did hear differences, sometimes profound, in all the forty or so multichannels and other amps I've owned over thirty years or so, is not something I need to consider any further. I've never heard a better multichannel than the Odeon. YMMV, of course, thanks so much for your help, my man, Dan!
jsgrise likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amplifier , monolith 7 , Monoprice

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page