Denon - Pandora yet again - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 21Likes

post #31 of 92 Old 07-23-2016, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbp_civic View Post
I also have the same issue but with a marantz sr5008. It was working 2 days ago I don't know why it stopped. I created a new account on my PC and then tried logging in thru marantz sr5008, no luck just goes to blank screen on the phone app. When logging in thru PC, it works fine, it's just the marantz.

Now I have to resort to using Pandora on my phone running airplay to AVR.
Same problem here on my
SR 5008- I wish they could just fix this already!

2 Channel audio only:
ZUs Soul Superflys; Marantz PM15S2. Marantz SA8005; Rega RP3; Sonos Connect
ps - try before you buy, and always make sure you have a return option!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 92 Old 07-23-2016, 05:24 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I am glad I ran across this thread. I had the same problem with my Marantz AV7702 MK1. Pandora had been working fine for a while, then just started exhibiting the symptoms described here. I was running myself in circles trying to figure it out. I emailed them for support and they said they "are looking in to it".

ARC Ref 3, Parasound A21, Parasound T3, Marantz SA-15S2, SAE E102 eq, Joseph Audio Pulsar, Rythmik F12
post #33 of 92 Old 08-07-2016, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Saw a convo where someone mentioned this issue was fixed on Friday this week. It sounded like Pandora made a change on their end which broke the authentication process used by Denon and apparently some other brands as well. Can anyone confirm? I still can't log into Pandora on my AVR-x4000.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 92 Old 08-07-2016, 09:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not working
post #35 of 92 Old 08-07-2016, 03:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Honestly everybody should be screaming at Denon to make this adjustment

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
post #36 of 92 Old 08-07-2016, 09:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked: 819
While I agree, there are SO many other ways to deal with Pandora that don't have issues. The AVR apps seem to be some of the worst anyway. For example, Pandora app on IOS, AirPlay to the AVR.

Did you know that just connecting to the AVR via AirPlay turns it on from standby? Kinda cool.
post #37 of 92 Old 08-08-2016, 11:15 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked: 131
I talked to Denon management and they are aware of the issue of course but there is no eta to fix...just sometime in the future.

I asked them if they would buy me an Apple device or provide a workaround they had nothing of course

post #38 of 92 Old 08-09-2016, 09:27 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by toofast68 View Post
I talked to Denon management and they are aware of the issue of course but there is no eta to fix...just sometime in the future.

I asked them if they would buy me an Apple device or provide a workaround they had nothing of course

That's like going into the dealer with your new car and saying, "Hey, my turn signal doesn't work. Will you buy me a scooter?"

Sure, we all get mad when an app fails on our smart phone, but it's still a smart phone, right?

Your Denon AVR is still functioning as an AVR, right?

Amazon FireTV - $40 - Pandora.
Better UI than Denon will ever have.
post #39 of 92 Old 08-09-2016, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 2324 Post(s)
Liked: 3198
^ Let's not start being rational
It's more fun to complain, maybe Trump will make Denon great again

There is no perfect display, quit looking for faults and enjoy

LG OLED 65” B7 and 55” C8
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 and other stuff
post #40 of 92 Old 08-09-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 45
This is what I love about these forums... someone spends a lot of hard earned money on a product that has various features that attracted them in the first place. When some of these features don't work as advertised, often various members and/or brand-loyal fanboys act like the guy is a jerk for complaining about it. Or, offer a work-around that involves using another product that the person may or may not have. "Yes, we know Pandora doesn't work, but just use your phone."

To use jaddie's comparison, it's more like "My turn signal doesn't work" and the dealer says "Yes, we know, just use your arm, it's easier anyway"

D&M customer service is crap and has been for a while. I wouldn't hold your breath on this being resolved on any legacy product.

Case in point, they still haven't fixed the airplay issue that many of us deal with. Some on this forum have pointed out that "the manual clearly states the artwork can't be larger than 500x500"... well that isn't exactly printed in the brochure is it? It says it does Airplay... not "only if you don't use PNG artwork files (which is the iTunes standard)", or "only if your artwork is tiny.." Other brands do not have this stupid limitation, and Marantz still hasn't fixed it after multiple generations of a $1-2k receiver.

I've said it before, I love the look and sound of my Marantz equipment. I spent a lot of money on it and am proud of it when people want to check out my AV rack. However, their customer service (or lack of) has drove me right into Yamaha's arms... that and now my 7008 likely has a bad HDMI board which is another common problem of the SR receivers. Most expensive receiver I've ever owned, and most problems I've ever had.
Rudy1, joeyvaz and avs2099 like this.

Samsung, Marantz, MartinLogan
post #41 of 92 Old 08-09-2016, 09:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj46 View Post
This is what I love about these forums... someone spends a lot of hard earned money on a product that has various features that attracted them in the first place. When some of these features don't work as advertised, often various members and/or brand-loyal fanboys act like the guy is a jerk for complaining about it. Or, offer a work-around that involves using another product that the person may or may not have. "Yes, we know Pandora doesn't work, but just use your phone."

To use jaddie's comparison, it's more like "My turn signal doesn't work" and the dealer says "Yes, we know, just use your arm, it's easier anyway"
Well, that's not quite what I was getting at, perhaps the turn signal was a bad choice because it's mandatory equipment critical to safe operation. Anything on a car or AVR that doesn't work is irritating. But my point was to keep things in perspective. Pandora is an app running on the Denon/Marantz platform. The app needs to be updated, clearly. If that's the only problem, and the rest of the AVR is working within spec, and if you find Pandora essential, my point is that there are cheap, and frankly better done solutions. I use Pandora on IOS > AirPlay on my Denon AVR, Fire TV, Roku and Apple TV. I don't use the Pandora app on the Denon AVR because when I tried it, it was worse than the others in just about every way. I moved on. The only "app" (if you can call it that) I ever use on the AVR is AirPlay. I run a PLEX server, and while I can have the AVR look at the server, it's GUI klunky and dumb. PLEX apps on anything else is better...way better.

Thus I suggest to my clients they don't bother with AVR apps at all, but get into a player of some sort where the its apps and OS are the manufacturers primary focus, and updates actually happen because they move the product forward. The AVR apps have always been just add-ons to add glitz and sparkle. They fall into the category of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". AVR manufacturers may do better not to include them, and make better hardware, except I'm quite sure that's not an even cost trade. And the marketing dept. would never allow it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj46 View Post
...now that and now my 7008 likely has a bad HDMI board which is another common problem of the SR receivers. Most expensive receiver I've ever owned, and most problems I've ever had.
It has a 3 year warranty, I believe the unit was introduced in 2013. Is yours still within that?
post #42 of 92 Old 08-09-2016, 10:27 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 516 Post(s)
Liked: 227
...yes this kind of digital irritation is what causes Road Rage! It's like being locked out of your car, and help is far too far away!
I have too many digital devices around here...and non working apps up to my ears?😠
post #43 of 92 Old 08-10-2016, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaddie View Post
Well, that's not quite what I was getting at, perhaps the turn signal was a bad choice because it's mandatory equipment critical to safe operation. Anything on a car or AVR that doesn't work is irritating. But my point was to keep things in perspective. Pandora is an app running on the Denon/Marantz platform. The app needs to be updated, clearly. If that's the only problem, and the rest of the AVR is working within spec, and if you find Pandora essential, my point is that there are cheap, and frankly better done solutions. I use Pandora on IOS > AirPlay on my Denon AVR, Fire TV, Roku and Apple TV. I don't use the Pandora app on the Denon AVR because when I tried it, it was worse than the others in just about every way. I moved on. The only "app" (if you can call it that) I ever use on the AVR is AirPlay. I run a PLEX server, and while I can have the AVR look at the server, it's GUI klunky and dumb. PLEX apps on anything else is better...way better.

Thus I suggest to my clients they don't bother with AVR apps at all, but get into a player of some sort where the its apps and OS are the manufacturers primary focus, and updates actually happen because they move the product forward. The AVR apps have always been just add-ons to add glitz and sparkle. They fall into the category of "just because you can, doesn't mean you should". AVR manufacturers may do better not to include them, and make better hardware, except I'm quite sure that's not an even cost trade. And the marketing dept. would never allow it.

It has a 3 year warranty, I believe the unit was introduced in 2013. Is yours still within that?
Not completely disagreeing with you, but my biggest point is other manufacturers aren't having the same 'struggles' with these add-ons, and D&M doesn't seem to be making it much of a priority to resolve it. Marantz has known about the Airplay limitation for years, and the Pandora issue for what... 6 months? There's more than meets the eye here... they really don't seem to care too much. It doesn't take this long to release a patch to resolve a login issue... if we took this long where I work to release an update that fixes a broken app, we wouldn't be in business for long.

As far as the warranty, yes it is covered for a couple more months... and? I live in a city of 4 million people, yet I still have to ship the thing away to another state at a cost of about $70 for insured shipping, and then be without it for a few weeks... I've already had to do it once. (Have you noticed how few D&M repair centers there are now?) Again, most expensive AVR I've ever owned, most problems I've ever had. No problems with my cheap Sonys over the years, they've been moved and bounced around many times, never a single warranty issue, no Airplay problems, etc. My SR7008 is in a rack, fantastic cooling, no dust, doesn't get bounced or moved or have constant cabling changes, clean power... I can't count how many times I've had to do factory resets on it or leave it unplugged overnight to resolve various issues and bugs, added with an amplifier problem that it was sent in for.

If it sounds like I'm red faced angry, I'm not... I'm just very disappointed with the quality of the product/software, and even more disappointed with their customer service. My biggest point for coming to this thread is to lower the expectations of people thinking Pandora on their D&M product will be fixed in the near future.
Rudy1 and farkem like this.

Samsung, Marantz, MartinLogan
post #44 of 92 Old 08-10-2016, 08:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1061 Post(s)
Liked: 859
I have a Denon S900W in one set-up; thankfully went back to Yamaha for my 5.1.4 9 set-up; Yammys are rock solid, I have 2 older ones that won't quit and I still use; a 5 & 7 channel Receiver
Rudy1 and jj46 like this.

Primary set-up 5.2.4; Yamaha A2050, Paired w/Parasound P5 & ATI 522NC 2 channel amp
Revel F206 fronts & Revel M16 rears; 2 Outlaw X12 Subs & 4 RSL C34e in-ceilings

Secondary 5.1: Denon S900W, Polk LSiM703/704C, Polk RC80i in-ceiling rears, RSL Speedwoofer 10s
post #45 of 92 Old 08-10-2016, 09:00 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks1 View Post
I have a Denon S900W in one set-up; thankfully went back to Yamaha for my 5.1.4 9 set-up; Yammys are rock solid, I have 2 older ones that won't quit and I still use; a 5 & 7 channel Receiver
A Denon and Yamaha owner living in Myrtle Beach...

I never want to hear you complain about anything!
yanks1 likes this.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #46 of 92 Old 08-10-2016, 09:39 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Denon - Pandora yet again

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokishin View Post
A Denon and Yamaha owner living in Myrtle Beach...

I never want to hear you complain about anything!

I lived im Myrtle Beach back in 2004, i loved it there.

That being said, there are some members on this forum who will jump on you for saying anything about their favorite brands, i think they are called fanboys, you know who you are.

That all being said, yes we could use another device to stream pandora and i have them all, however, the reason i wanted my avr to do it is because i wanted a self contained unit to do it and to have to turn on yet another device.

Someone said "well it still woks as an avr doesn't it". Yes it does, however, the fact that denon advertised as pandora capable was a huge deciding factor, huge. If i wanted an avr that didnt have any streaming options, i would have gotten sony str dn series or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rudy1 and jj46 like this.

Last edited by nohcho; 08-10-2016 at 06:54 PM.
post #47 of 92 Old 08-10-2016, 09:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1333 Post(s)
Liked: 1392
I have the same issue with my Denon 6200. Pandora no mora.

However, it still works on my Panasonic DMP-BDT310 BDP whose last firmware update was 2014.

I suppose Pandora might have come up with a new and different login procedure for more current devices that only affects more current devices.

I've got multiple ways that I get Pandora so I'm covered.

I suppose Denon is waiting to include this fix with other fixes before pushing out a firmware update. However, it would be customer savvy if they issued an out of cycle update just to fix this Pandora problem.

Denon AVR-X6200W, Outlaw Audio 7125 Amp, Oppo UDP-203, Oppo BDP-103, Amazon FTV Stick 4K, Tivo Roamio Pro, Pioneer Elite Andrew Jones Dolby Atmos Enabled EFS-73 Fronts/EBS-73 Surrounds, Chane A2.4 Center, SVS SB-2000 Sub, Panasonic Plasma TH-58PX600
avsforum Members Atmos & Auro Configuration Spreadsheet
I'm just a caveman. Your modern world frightens and confuses me. RIP Phil Hartman
post #48 of 92 Old 08-10-2016, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 1813 Post(s)
Liked: 3586
there are some devices, like Marantz NA8005 that are affected: I used it exclusively for Pandora streaming

when it stopped working, the Marantz was useless to me: I sold it on Ebay at a heavily discounted price

I think this is the responsibility of both Marantz and Pandora: there is absolutely no reason to take this long to resolve a log in issue: most companies can do it within a day or 2

I voted to sell the Marantz and cancel Pandora: this is the only leverage we have
promike, farkem and jj46 like this.

please take the high road in every post:do not respond to or quote a problematic post: report it
HDMI.org:what a mess HDCP = Hollywood's Draconian Copy Protection system
LG C9 OLED owner

post #49 of 92 Old 08-10-2016, 12:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 587 Post(s)
Liked: 167
Quote:
Originally Posted by markrubin View Post
there are some devices, like Marantz NA8005 that are affected: I used it exclusively for Pandora streaming

when it stopped working, the Marantz was useless to me: I sold it on Ebay at a heavily discounted price

I think this is the responsibility of both Marantz and Pandora: there is absolutely no reason to take this long to resolve a log in issue: most companies can do it within a day or 2

I voted to sell the Marantz and cancel Pandora: this is the only leverage we have

True statement, vote with your wallet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #50 of 92 Old 08-10-2016, 02:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

This bugged me more than a little...so I asked around. This just in from our Denon distributor:

"D&M Should have updates in two weeks. They have had to update 63 models.
They are releasing the updates in order of newest models first and then the
older ones."

No breath holding, but stay tuned.
post #51 of 92 Old 08-12-2016, 12:02 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
This article was updated yesterday with estimated fix dates.

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...-using-pandora
post #52 of 92 Old 08-21-2016, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Any Marantz notices?

Q: Since Denon and Marantz are under the same company (D&M Holdings) would Denon's statements of F/W fixes also apply to Marantz?

I upgraded my bedroom system last Christmas from Onky to Marantz just for the Pandora streaming since my 5 year old Roku died. (I play the 'trained' ambient music channel through the night to help me fall to sleep and to help me fall back to sleep should I wake up. It works for me w/o needing to take pills.)

FWIW: My NR1506's Pandora broke just a day or two after my Costco AMX was shutdown by Costco's switching to Citi Visa. I thought that is what broke Pandora on the bedroom receiver (although my HT Marantz AV7005 still runs fine, but I logged into Pandora years ago and have not ever needed to touch anything since). Could it be that all of us used the Costco AMX to fund our Pandora? Thinking out loud - maybe we can help the engrs out.

UPDATE: http://marantz.custhelp.com/app/answ...QvWVRQRkNGWW0=

Last edited by rerickso; 08-21-2016 at 04:07 PM.
post #53 of 92 Old 08-21-2016, 04:02 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
FWIW: My NR1506's Pandora broke just a day or two after my Costco AMX was shutdown by Costco's switching to Citi Visa. I thought that is what broke Pandora on the bedroom receiver. Could it be that all of us used the Costco AMX to fund our Pandora? Thinking out loud - maybe we can help the engrs out.
really?

Afro GT
post #54 of 92 Old 08-22-2016, 10:31 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerickso View Post
My NR1506's Pandora broke just a day or two after my Costco AMX was shutdown by Costco's switching to Citi Visa. I thought that is what broke Pandora on the bedroom receiver
This reminds me of the plumber that came to my house. I asked him to simply tighten a screw down and he told me "absolutely not possible". I asked him why such strong feelings about doing such a tiny favor, and he told me the last person that touches a thing will *always* be blamed if it ever breaks. He would only completely tear out and replace the part as part of normal service. After his explanation, I thought he that was incredibly professional and smart.

U-Turn Orbit Plus turntable, Marantz SR-7009 AVR, iNuke 6000DSP, DIY LinkwitzLab speakers, MartyCube + JohnnySub, BenQ W1070, Roku stick, Plex
post #55 of 92 Old 08-22-2016, 11:30 AM

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1132 Post(s)
Liked: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerickso View Post
Q: Since Denon and Marantz are under the same company (D&M Holdings) would Denon's statements of F/W fixes also apply to Marantz?
In the latest AVR generations of Denon & Marantz, they are using common processors and PCB modules.. However in earlier AVR generations before 2012, Denon & Marantz had their own respective processors and firmware..

Just my $0.02...
post #56 of 92 Old 09-02-2016, 07:23 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 14
This is still not fixed. I just bought an open box S920W and it seems the previous owner was also struggling with Pandora as his email and password were in the Pandora setup screen. Wonder when Denon will realize this is costing them money. Should I have stayed with Yamaha?
post #57 of 92 Old 09-02-2016, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 723 Post(s)
Liked: 238
This is annoying. I like switching between internet radio and pandora freely and quickly. I think it's an easier interface than roku, which I use for video only usually. And Bluetooth has never worked very well on my x2100, so that's out

Setup:
Spoiler!
post #58 of 92 Old 09-02-2016, 09:52 PM

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2256 Post(s)
Liked: 1486
Quote:
Originally Posted by avs2099 View Post
This is still not fixed. I just bought an open box S920W and it seems the previous owner was also struggling with Pandora as his email and password were in the Pandora setup screen. Wonder when Denon will realize this is costing them money. Should I have stayed with Yamaha?
AVR-S920W
September 27 2016 *Also includes DTS:X Update

http://denon.custhelp.com/app/answer...-using-pandora

Afro GT
post #59 of 92 Old 09-03-2016, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Downloaded the Denon update today. It works! Thanks Denon, Pandora is streaming away. Hopefully this will last for a while.
post #60 of 92 Old 09-03-2016, 10:18 AM

Mentioned: 766 Post(s)
Quoted: 23210 Post(s)
Liked: 12737
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbusa View Post
Downloaded the Denon update today. It works! Thanks Denon, Pandora is streaming away. Hopefully this will last for a while.
Send a reminder to Pandora to give the mfr's a head's up the next time they decide to change the Security certificates.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page