Pioneer VSX-1123: Pandora Server Error - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 22Likes

post #31 of 77 Old 11-30-2016, 02:44 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 676 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21663 Post(s)
Liked: 11689
Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
So the refurbs work, but the ones in the wild won't. I am and am not surprised. Have you flown this past Pandora? I'd be curious as to what their response is. Guess it's time to junk this POS with the extended warranty and go buy a real AVR. Also might be time to Boycott Pioneer . . .
The Op's model is a 2013 model. I spoke with a Pioneer rep who said only the 2015 and newer models are going to be able to receive a firmware update, although somewhat surprising as Denon and Marantz models going back to 2010 have been affected and will be receiving a firmware update to resolve the logon issue. Also, the refurbished Pioneer unit received "at a discounted price" would be a 2015 model.
aspera likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 77 Old 11-30-2016, 03:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
The Op's model is a 2013 model. I spoke with a Pioneer rep who said only the 2015 and newer models are going to be able to receive a firmware update, although somewhat surprising as Denon and Marantz models going back to 2010 have been affected and will be receiving a firmware update to resolve the logon issue. Also, the refurbished Pioneer unit received "at a discounted price" would be a 2015 model.
I have a VSX-1123K that I bought on January 12 2015 (brand new) from Amazon. I have been emailing Pioneer since July and they have declined to assist with my (at that time) 1 1/2 year old model.
post #33 of 77 Old 11-30-2016, 10:31 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
In a previous post of mine, Pioneer and Pandora said a fix was in the works for all. Mine is a 2012. So I wonder what happened or if Pioneer is trying to get us to "re-purchase" newer units. Long before this happened we stopped installing Pioneer and try our best, with no warranty to those that insist on Pioneer. It's a "has been" brand.
aspera likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 77 Old 12-01-2016, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So I see now Pioneer is admitting they have no intentions of producing updated firmware for receivers that are more than 1 model year old. This is completely unacceptable. Well PIONEER, I have been a loyal customer since the late 1980's, but now I am done with you. I will also discourage anyone from purchasing your products. You are obviously not concerned with customer satisfaction.
aspera likes this.
post #35 of 77 Old 12-01-2016, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Message sent to Pandora (12-1-16)

Sent this off to Pandora. Will report their reply.
I have a Pioneer SC-1222K which until recently worked with Pandora. Previously, when you made a format change Pioneer released updated firmware which resolved the issue. This time Pioneer seems to be taking no action.
Are you aware of this issue with Pioneer AV receivers? Are you in contact with Pioneer about this issue?
One forum is following this closely (check this and its previous page): "www . avsforum.com / forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2511865-pioneer-vsx-1123-pandora-server-error-2 . html"
post #36 of 77 Old 12-02-2016, 08:58 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 188
I just went to the Pandora site to see if I could find some support info for Pioneer products. In my search I selected a "Pandora in the home" link and found the below list of products. Denon is listed (I have an AVR X3100 that lost Pandora ability a while ago) but Pioneer is no longer listed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-12-02 at 8.55.14 AM.png
Views:	532
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1802801  
aspera likes this.
post #37 of 77 Old 12-02-2016, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muphasta View Post
I just went to the Pandora site to see if I could find some support info for Pioneer products. In my search I selected a "Pandora in the home" link and found the below list of products. Denon is listed (I have an AVR X3100 that lost Pandora ability a while ago) but Pioneer is no longer listed.
Do you know if Pioneer had been listed previously? If so, then its absence now is probably a very bad sign. If Pioneer was removed then it's likely that Pandora doesn't expect Pioneer to be upgrading its firmware to accommodate current/future Pandora format changes.

I'm still being patient, remaining hopeful, but trying to figure out if switching my workshop and farm-yard speakers from Zone 2 to Speaker B will let me use Pandora from my BluRay Player and send to where I do most of my work these days.
post #38 of 77 Old 12-02-2016, 11:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1978 Post(s)
Liked: 1329
If you have an older Blu Ray player with RCA outputs all you need to do is connect those to the receiver with a stereo cable and you'll be able to output to Zone 2.

or buy a bluetooth receiver to use in Zone 2. Then you can stream Pandora from your Smartphone.
https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Rec...or+home+stereo
aspera likes this.

Afro GT
post #39 of 77 Old 12-02-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
... or buy a bluetooth receiver to use in Zone 2. Then you can stream Pandora from your Smartphone.
Thanks for that advice. I had bought and installed a Pioneer Bluetooth adapter (and forgotten about it). Just tried it and it works! I have to keep the phone near the AVR, so I can't also use the iControlAV5 app when I'm in the workshop, but I appreciate this workaround.
post #40 of 77 Old 12-02-2016, 01:26 PM

Just got this from Pandora. Sounds like they ARE still working with Pioneer...?

Jonathan | Pandora
DEC 02, 2016 | 12:46PM PST
Hi XXXXXX,
Thanks for writing. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Pandora on your receiver.
We have been actively working with the manufacturer on a fix that can be pushed out to your device.
Please check for a firmware update on your device, as that is how the issue will be resolved. If an update is available, try loading Pandora again once the update is complete.
If you do not yet have an update available from the settings of your receiver, we recommend reaching out to your device manufacturer directly for more information by calling Pioneer customer support here: 1-844-679-5350
Hope this helps.

Best,
Jonathan | Pandora
Listener Advocate
PANDORA® internet radio
Need help? help . pandora.com
Was my reply helpful?

post #41 of 77 Old 12-02-2016, 01:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aspera View Post
Do you know if Pioneer had been listed previously? If so, then its absence now is probably a very bad sign. If Pioneer was removed then it's likely that Pandora doesn't expect Pioneer to be upgrading its firmware to accommodate current/future Pandora format changes.

I'm still being patient, remaining hopeful, but trying to figure out if switching my workshop and farm-yard speakers from Zone 2 to Speaker B will let me use Pandora from my BluRay Player and send to where I do most of my work these days.
I don't remember checking previously, so I cannot say. Lets hope that they do fix it for us as I don't want to have to use another device to stream Pandora to the zone 2 I have set up.

For Thanksgiving I connected our Gen 1 iPad (that that it matters, but I was happy to find a use for the poor old thing) via 3.5mm to RCA jacks to my SC-65. This way I could feed my zone 2 which feeds my in-ceiling speakers in the living/dining room via speaker wire, then feeds my old Denon AVR-3803 in my office. That Denon then feeds a zone 2 which is my outdoor patio speakers.

I was really digging the Pioneer Elite line and was considering an upgrade to a newer/larger (atmos) receiver in a couple of years for my main listening room.

Not a big house, just well laid out for my HT setup.
aspera likes this.
post #42 of 77 Old 12-02-2016, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reply from Pandora

I received this response today (as did several others):

Jennifer | Pandora
DEC 03, 2016 | 05:18PM PST
Hi Keith,

Thanks for writing. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble with Pandora on your receiver.

We’re aware of the issue and we have been actively working with the manufacturer on a fix that can be pushed out to your device.

I understand this is an inconvenience and thank you for your continued patience.
aspera likes this.
post #43 of 77 Old 12-02-2016, 10:40 PM

And it keeps getting more... incoherent. Here's what I got from Pioneer Thursday (12-2-16) (from Bryan at [email protected]):
(Also, if they're going to want us to trust that they are a going concern, they might want to check their spelling. It's N
EGOTIABLE).
I rather hope that Jennifer at Pandora (per Katwitch above) is right and Bryan at Pioneer (below) is wrong about a fix.
Hello xxxxxxxx,

We apologize that Pandora streaming services no longer work on your receiver, however this was due to change that was implemented by Pandora to their platform. From a physical perspective nothing has changed or failed with the Pioneer unit that you’ve purchased. Furthermore, (as stated verbatim on page 43 of the owner’s manual of your unit) third party services such as Pandora are “as is” and Pioneer is not liable for loss of such services.

While we are not in a position to remedy this situation, we have however offered a trade in option to our customers who choose not to use Apple Airplay to stream Pandora (which your receiver does offer and is a viable alternative to remedy your issue). The pricing for trade in units are set by the sales management division, and are NOT NEGOTIOBALE.

We do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused, however we cannot be held responsible for changes that any third party streaming service decides to implement to their operating platform therein.

Thank you
Bryan

If you need further assistance feel free to call us at 1-844-679-5350.
Home Theater Product Support Team Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday 9am to 8pm EST
Saturday & Sunday 10am to 4pm EST
Or visit our website at www.pioneerelectronics.com for product information, authorized service & sales center locations, and warranty information.
If you need to contact our Partsand Service, TV Support, Car Audio, Industrial Products or Cycle Sports, please call 1-800-421-1404.
Parts and Service, TV Support, Car Audio, Industrial Products or Cycle Sports Hours of Operation: Monday thru Friday 9am to 5pm EST
post #44 of 77 Old 12-03-2016, 08:37 AM

How long does Pioneer (or anyone) provide updates?

I just sent the text quoted below to Bryan at Pioneer. I'm not willing to even consider their trade-in/refurbished unit deal if that too will stop being supported in short order.

I don't have a good sense if other companies support their units for significantly longer than Pioneer; it would be nice to have some data on how far back they go in releasing firmware updates.

Quote:
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the quick reply. I do understand that Pioneer is under no legal obligation to provide a firmware update for the Pandora, or any other third party, service. And thanks for pointing out the text on p. 43 of the manual.

Perhaps you can help me with a closely related question. As I think about trading in my current receiver for a refurbished unit, I’m concerned that Pioneer will, after a short time, not support that unit with periodic firmware upgrades for changes due to changes by Pandora or other third parties.

Can you tell me how long I can expect the refurbished unit to be supported with firmware updates?
post #45 of 77 Old 12-03-2016, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 13
My VSX-1122 is now sitting in the garage, waiting to probably be donated. It was replaced yesterday with a Yamaha TSR-7810 with a working Pandora app.

I have purchased only Pioneer receivers, both regular & Elite, for about 20 years.

I guess now I'm a "Yamaha Guy", as the TSR-7810 is a nice receiver, with a great iOS and Android app that connects up via wifi easily and without the issues I had with Pioneer app...and with working Pandora.

Robert
aspera likes this.
post #46 of 77 Old 12-03-2016, 10:54 PM

Well then . . .
I had the old gold Pioneer stuff, best cassette recorder on the planet, until I got a Tascam. Used Carver as my pro gear and became an instant fan, then Yamaha, then back to Pioneer. Still have two VSX-9300's and a VSX-D909S, still great pieces of gear.

And now this . . .

Well so much for customer loyalty. Hello Yammi! Now to get rid of this POS and alert the World that #PioneerSucks .

Last edited by FarmerBob; 12-03-2016 at 11:53 PM.
post #47 of 77 Old 12-06-2016, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
And it keeps getting more... incoherent. Here's what I got from Pioneer Thursday (12-2-16) (from Bryan at [email protected]):
(Also, if they're going to want us to trust that they are a going concern, they might want to check their spelling. It's N
EGOTIABLE).
I rather hope that Jennifer at Pandora (per Katwitch above) is right and Bryan at Pioneer (below) is wrong about a fix.
Hello xxxxxxxx,

We apologize that Pandora streaming services no longer work on your receiver, however this was due to change that was implemented by Pandora to their platform. From a physical perspective nothing has changed or failed with the Pioneer unit that you’ve purchased. Furthermore, (as stated verbatim on page 43 of the owner’s manual of your unit) third party services such as Pandora are “as is” and Pioneer is not liable for loss of such services.

While we are not in a position to remedy this situation, we have however offered a trade in option to our customers who choose not to use Apple Airplay to stream Pandora (which your receiver does offer and is a viable alternative to remedy your issue). The pricing for trade in units are set by the sales management division, and are NOT NEGOTIOBALE.

We do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused, however we cannot be held responsible for changes that any third party streaming service decides to implement to their operating platform therein.

Thank you
Bryan

If you need further assistance feel free to call us at 1-844-679-5350.
Home Theater Product Support Team Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Friday 9am to 8pm EST
Saturday & Sunday 10am to 4pm EST
Or visit our website at www.pioneerelectronics.com for product information, authorized service & sales center locations, and warranty information.
If you need to contact our Partsand Service, TV Support, Car Audio, Industrial Products or Cycle Sports, please call 1-800-421-1404.
Parts and Service, TV Support, Car Audio, Industrial Products or Cycle Sports Hours of Operation: Monday thru Friday 9am to 5pm EST
funny that they aren't responsible for 3rd party services, but they sure want to point out how many they "support".

My Denon X3000 (bedroom receiver) was just updated a couple of days ago.
post #48 of 77 Old 12-06-2016, 10:31 PM

Rinse, Repeat . . .

Quote:
Just got this from Pandora. Sounds like they ARE still working with Pioneer...?
Jonathan | Pandora
DEC 02, 2016 | 12:46PM PST
Hi XXXXXX,
We have been actively working with the manufacturer on a fix that can be pushed out to your device.
Please check for a firmware update on your device, as that is how the issue will be resolved. If an update is available, try loading Pandora again once the update is complete.
If you do not yet have an update available from the settings of your receiver, we recommend reaching out to your device manufacturer directly for more information by calling Pioneer customer support here: 1-844-679-5350
Hope this helps.

Best,
Jonathan | Pandora
Listener Advocate
PANDORA® internet radio
Need help? help . pandora.com
Was my reply helpful?
That's the same boiler plate reply I got. And I have replied for further assistance, and after much initial back and forth, I have not heard a word now. I have contacted Pioneer on other issues before and I know the tone. Nothing is going to be done. That is, unless, Pandora pushes Pioneer to "save face". Being an Asian, brand and if this goes viral they might succumb to that. But I rather doubt it. Where'd ya think the misspellings came from. #PioneerSucks
aspera likes this.

Last edited by FarmerBob; 12-07-2016 at 12:18 PM.
post #49 of 77 Old 12-08-2016, 09:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Good news (at least for some of us). I just received the following email from Bryan at Pioneer/Onkyo:

Dear Sir or Madam

PANDORA USERS - We are aware of an issue connecting to Pandora’s server with some of our older model AV Receivers. We now have released a new firmware for all of our 2013 model receivers. If you can please go to Pioneerelectronics.com and download your new firmware you will be able to use Pandora again. Thank you again for all your patience.

Please download this firmware via usb flash drive only.

Thank you

Bryan Tecchio
Technical Specialist
Onkyo USA Corp.
Pioneer USA Corp.
Esoteric Corp.
18 Park Way
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
I checked the website and downloaded a new firmware file for my VSX-1123-K receiver dated 12/07/16. I'm not sure if pressure from people like us have caused them to release a fix or if they had intentions of fixing it all along, but if you have a 2012 model receiver, keep emailing them until they release updated firmware for your model.
aspera likes this.
post #50 of 77 Old 12-08-2016, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinecure1 View Post
Good news (at least for some of us). I just received the following email from Bryan at Pioneer/Onkyo:

Dear Sir or Madam

PANDORA USERS - We are aware of an issue connecting to Pandora’s server with some of our older model AV Receivers. We now have released a new firmware for all of our 2013 model receivers. If you can please go to Pioneerelectronics.com and download your new firmware you will be able to use Pandora again. Thank you again for all your patience.

Please download this firmware via usb flash drive only.

Thank you

Bryan Tecchio
Technical Specialist
Onkyo USA Corp.
Pioneer USA Corp.
Esoteric Corp.
18 Park Way
Upper Saddle River, NJ 07458
I checked the website and downloaded a new firmware file for my VSX-1123-K receiver dated 12/07/16. I'm not sure if pressure from people like us have caused them to release a fix or if they had intentions of fixing it all along, but if you have a 2012 model receiver, keep emailing them until they release updated firmware for your model.
What about 2012 SC-1222K (July) models?! The version that is presented at their site for my 1222 shows a Change History of:

CHANGE HISTORY: Ver 1-189-084-018-152
- Firmware Update for Pandora Subscribers (so they have done it before . . .)
- iPod nano connectivity improvement.
- Other improvement.
Note:
- The setting for Favorite, Account information(SiriusXM/Pandora), BT pairing and Airjam reset to the factory default after the update.Write down these settings before the update as they may need to be set up again. - This version is not available via the Internet. Please use an update file which is downloaded from PIONEER website. And please download via USB memory to update your receiver to the latest version.

My AVR is already running this version and I'm having, if you can't tell from above, the same problem and although it states that there is an Update for Pandora users, the files are dated 12/04/12 and it fail the update saying that I already have it. So...
#PioneerSucks
aspera likes this.
post #51 of 77 Old 12-09-2016, 05:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
VSX-1023 firmware update!

Pioneer released a new firmware on 12/7/2016 for the VSX-1023 addressed to Pandora subscribers. I'll bet this is the fix 1023 owners have been looking for but I wont know until I update my unit this weekend.
aspera likes this.
post #52 of 77 Old 12-10-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I've been using my Blue Ray for Pandora for many months. Tried my VSX 830-K for Pandora and nothing. Looked for an update and found one. Did the update and now have Pandora again.
I didn't lose any eq type settings but did lose my Internet radio station presets and had to log in to Pandora using a new account. It was like I had a new receiver.
Pioneer does have an update for Pandora. At least for my VSX-830-k it works.
Doug
post #53 of 77 Old 12-11-2016, 12:37 PM

In our Brave New World things age fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dookiethree View Post
Pioneer does have an update for Pandora. At least for my VSX-830-k it works.
Doug
I'm not surprised Doug. Amazon started selling the VSX-830k on April 1, 2015 making it a somewhat newer model. The problem being discussed here is that Pioneer seems unwilling to provide updates for units that are only slightly older than yours. Wait long enough and it's likely that your 830k will join my 1222k in being unsupported (with each update being unit-specific; the 830k update won't work with my 1222k).

Maybe we can all add to a list (documenting 2016/2017 firmware updates):
  1. VSX-830k (first sold Amazon April 2015): Pioneer firmware update (12/11/16) = Yes
  2. SC-1222k (bought Amazon Dec 2012): Pioneer firmware update (as of 12/11/16) = NO

Last edited by aspera; 12-11-2016 at 09:49 PM.
post #54 of 77 Old 12-13-2016, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I know a number of people are unhappy with Pioneer - but isn't the root problem Pandora's inability to adequately perform regression testing? Pandora has caused problems every couple of years, whenever they update their server config. This would be intolerable in any industry and in my mind shows a rather significant lack of respect (on Pandora's part) for their customer base. I've got an older model Pioneer (VSX-42) - I don't know how many of them there are in service but I blame Pandora for the outage and not Pioneer's inability to push out a firmware fix.
post #55 of 77 Old 12-13-2016, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKanter View Post
I know a number of people are unhappy with Pioneer - but isn't the root problem Pandora's inability to adequately perform regression testing? Pandora has caused problems every couple of years, whenever they update their server config. This would be intolerable in any industry and in my mind shows a rather significant lack of respect (on Pandora's part) for their customer base. I've got an older model Pioneer (VSX-42) - I don't know how many of them there are in service but I blame Pandora for the outage and not Pioneer's inability to push out a firmware fix.
Pandora certainly triggered this issue. But I tend to approach these things from a Bayesian perspective: Taking as given Pandora's changed format (holding that constant), what should I think about the AV receivers manufacturer's responsibility. Three things come to mind:

1. Other manufacturers are providing firmware updates, addressing the Pandora change, for their units that are as old or older than my Pioneer unit.
  2. Pioneer is currently pushing out updated firmware, but only for some of their units and then telling the rest of their customers that we have to buy a new unit if we want Pandora.
  3. Pioneer is offering an astonishingly poor trade-in offer if we want to "swap" our unit for a new or refurbished unit that will connect to Pandora.

Pandora isn't off the hook by any means (and perhaps there should be another forum topic on their behavior). But Pioneer is by far, in my opinion, much worse in customer response and support on this issue.

And that's coming from a life-long Pioneer user (who's trying to decide if I should change who I buy my equipment from). And that's why I'm here; I'm seeking your help in deciding what equipment manufacturers seem more interested in maintain their unit's web links for a longer timeframe.

Last edited by aspera; 12-13-2016 at 01:25 PM.
post #56 of 77 Old 12-13-2016, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Pandora vs Pioneer

Aspera,
That's a thoughtful and valid perspective, and both companies share some blame here. Coming from a tech background, I can assume that Pandora has a record and specs for every 3rd party manufacturer they partner with. When Pandora's engineering team makes a decision to change a server config or some other fundamental technology that will impair existing relationships, they have an obligation to test it against those legacy pieces of equipment they've been supporting - and need to make a decision: either sunset their partnership/support or create the appropriate interface so that they don't harm the performance of legacy equipment. If they don't do that, they run the risk of losing the partnerships going forward i.e. if I were Pioneer/Onkyo/Denon etc I'd be looking for a different embedded provider for streaming music. It's a lousy way to run a business and not a recipe for long-term success.
aspera likes this.
post #57 of 77 Old 12-13-2016, 10:41 PM

Quote:
My contacts at Pandora told me that they are working with, as much as the other side wants to, everyone on accommodating these changes. And that these changes were announced and are addressing performance and security issues. So if anything, they were looking out for the best interests and welfare of their customer base. And in addressing security issues it is no more than we would expect any responsible provider to do these days in this new era of security threats.

I have had problems with my 1222 since I got it and Pioneer Tech Support has been d!cks from the first call. They do not want to do anymore than they have to and any problems, they don't want to hear about it. Denon and the other brands have had no problems stepping up, why not Pioneer in respect for their customer base?

#PioneerSucks
aspera likes this.
post #58 of 77 Old 12-13-2016, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Aspera,
That's a thoughtful and valid perspective, and both companies share some blame here. Coming from a tech background, I can assume that Pandora has a record and specs for every 3rd party manufacturer they partner with. When Pandora's engineering team makes a decision to change a server config or some other fundamental technology that will impair existing relationships, they have an obligation to test it against those legacy pieces of equipment they've been supporting - and need to make a decision: either sunset their partnership/support or create the appropriate interface so that they don't harm the performance of legacy equipment. If they don't do that, they run the risk of losing the partnerships going forward i.e. if I were Pioneer/Onkyo/Denon etc I'd be looking for a different embedded provider for streaming music. It's a lousy way to run a business and not a recipe for long-term success.
I agree, great analogy. But I disagree with Pandora writing for the brands. Onkyo and Denon aren't having issues updating, right? That's what the concept of Firmware is all about. To accommodate these types of changes. That's a selling point to stay on top of industry and real world changes. And how well the brand OS is written is the kicker on how easy it is to keep it current. I'm not seeing that with Pioneer.

I have been involved in the tech industry using vendor "add-ons/modules" akin to Pandora. Pandora has a product built on common, with vendor proprietary code that is built as a "module" that is then integrated into devices that offer their feature. Pioneer makes provisions for the integration of code in their OS for these devices and if written properly things fit together in modules. If it were up to Pandora, I would surmise that with Pandora writing the code, it'd be a no brainer for Pioneer to swap out the update, that is good for their product, into Pioneer OS's. But I rather doubt that Pioneer would allow proprietary information about their OS out to Pandora in a manner to specifically write for Pioneer. That's not the way it's done. As it has been said by Pandora, they are working with Pioneer to remedy this. Pioneer didn't want to work with me on issues that I found in their gear, which seems to be a theme in their M.O. So since Pioneer is not making these changes for all units that tells me that there is work to do on Pioneers end. And since they don't want to do anymore than they have to . . . it ain't gonna get done. So it is on Pioneer to take the Pandora "module" and swap them out in their code. They don't want to.

I have always been leery of "future proofing" from certain brands. Pioneer is one.

#PioneerSucks
aspera likes this.
post #59 of 77 Old 12-14-2016, 11:11 PM

Pandora format change about security issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerBob View Post
... these changes were announced and are addressing performance and security issues. So if anything, [Pandora was] looking out for the best interests and welfare of their customer base. And in addressing security issues it is no more than we would expect any responsible provider to do these days in this new era of security threats.
This is an excellent point.

I seem to recall that I received an email from Pandora about a security/password breech (i.e., stating that I should immediately change my password) around the same time as this recent format/server change. Perhaps they are related. And, if so, then I certainly credit Pandora with being on top of their security issues. (Unlike, say, the Yahoo security issue announced only today about a 2013 breech).

Quote:
From CNN (12-14-16): Yahoo disclosed a new security breach on Wednesday that may have affected more than one billion accounts. The breach dates back to 2013 and is thought to be separate from a massive cybersecurity incident announced in September.
post #60 of 77 Old 12-15-2016, 01:18 AM

Quote:
This is an excellent point.

I seem to recall that I received an email from Pandora about a security/password breech (i.e., stating that I should immediately change my password) around the same time as this recent format/server change. Perhaps they are related. And, if so, then I certainly credit Pandora with being on top of their security issues. (Unlike, say, the Yahoo security issue announced only today about a 2013 breech).
aspera, Thank You for your acknowledgement of my point. I just wanted to present the point that was totally being ignored as to why Pandora was making changes in the first place. And not "just because they wanted to". Also Sirius has made changes too but no mention of any issues with that. Could be that Pioneer is getting paid, since Sirius is a PFPS, or a bigger cut to perform. But on that note, without these updates how vulnerable are the left out AVRs? Although Pandora may not work, but that does not mean that there isn't a whole for hackers to get through. Go to the AVRs web page and wipe your login info. AND how safe is that when it does work?! What with Pioneers reluctance to keep on top of this stuff, how susceptible are any of their AVRs to hacking that are up to date. I have read many articles in the trades that are talking about hackers going after washing machines, toasters and refrigerators, not only the Samsung with the TV in the door, but any IoT device out there, cuz they can. So now that there are those of you that have gotten the updates and can use Pandora, how safe is Pioneers side of the software you're running whether things are working or not?

#PioneerSucks
aspera likes this.

Last edited by FarmerBob; 12-15-2016 at 10:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page