Owner's Thread for Pioneer SC-LX701 / SC-801 / SC-LX901 Receviers - Page 25 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1643Likes

Old 10-02-2017, 08:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
I'm sure you'll get it to work. If the test tones have sound, then it's working. I have the Sony X800 HDR blu-ray player, and to get Atmos or bitstream, you have to go into to sound settings and set BD audio mix to off. Possibly your Samsung player has something similar.
Keep in mind, Atmos is good, but more subtle than when you first heard surround.
Thanks for the input. I really love this receiver but some of its oddities make me want to take it back. For example, showing on the front display both Dolby atmos/Dolby hd is one of them. I wonder if my 4K cable going from Sammy 4K player to receivercould be the culprit. Will try w a new 4K hdmi cable tomorrow. If you have a pioneer receiver listed on this thread, what does it display on the front when you play a Dolby atmos 4K bluray movie?? I know you have to toggle the info button on the avr remote to show what audio codec is passing as well as resolution of 4K bluray. Will Check Sammy audio settings too. Yes, I understand that Dolby atmos is subtle like rain, wind and ambience noise unlike full surround.

Thx for your time,

Ian B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 04:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked: 499
Using iControlAV5 makes it a lot easier to see what is going on with your AVR relative to audio/video.
Boirathor and IronWaffle like this.
Old 10-03-2017, 08:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post
Thanks for the input. I really love this receiver but some of its oddities make me want to take it back. For example, showing on the front display both Dolby atmos/Dolby hd is one of them. I wonder if my 4K cable going from Sammy 4K player to receivercould be the culprit. Will try w a new 4K hdmi cable tomorrow. If you have a pioneer receiver listed on this thread, what does it display on the front when you play a Dolby atmos 4K bluray movie?? I know you have to toggle the info button on the avr remote to show what audio codec is passing as well as resolution of 4K bluray. Will Check Sammy audio settings too. Yes, I understand that Dolby atmos is subtle like rain, wind and ambience noise unlike full surround.

Thx for your time,

Ian B
I have the LX701. Not sure of your remote set-up, but if like the LX701, press the info. button when playing a disc for relative play back details. Also, try the 'SURR' button next to the 'AUTO/Direct' button. This will give a faux dolby atmos.

Last edited by cdnscg; 10-03-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-03-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Old 10-03-2017, 11:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddylee123 View Post
Great, now all I will need is a HDR player, and pj that can handle DV, plus content would be nice
Old 10-03-2017, 05:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 906 Post(s)
Liked: 622
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Great, now all I will need is a HDR player, and pj that can handle DV, plus content would be nice
lol looks like we will be waiting a while for a DV capable projector.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
I found a refurb 701 that the seller is including a 3 year warranty. I need to replace my SC61 since i need 4k.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
Old 10-04-2017, 05:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked: 496
Are these newer Elites built as good as my SC61 is? I had a SC35 blow out on me after 14 months, but so far the SC61 has been great for 5 years.

Sony 65" A1E Pioneer Elite DV-59 AVI
OPPO203,103&83 Sony BD player
Pioneer Elite SC61 AVR Acurus 200x 3
Paradigm 60V5'S 490 CC V5
B&W 685 S2's 2 SVS subs
Old 10-04-2017, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhguy1 View Post
I should add that, yes, I'm sure it's component, red, green and blue.
if one is using an OG xbox360 with out hdmi out, maybe a lame work around is using a component to hdmi converter.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003VJ9RP6/

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
Old 10-05-2017, 07:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 59
What are the differences between the 701 and 801, besides a little more power for the 801?
Is the bigger model worth the extra cash?
Presumably they sound the same
Old 10-05-2017, 08:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi all. I recently bought an sc-lx801 and here is my take vs a Pioneer VSX-52 and a Denon AVR-E400:
  • The bad - not much, but here it is:
    • True to what I have read on this forum, the sound is a bit difficult to dial in when you are used to an older Pioneer. I wasn't impressed with the Denon's sound (but that model isn't impressive, as it is on the lower end for them) so it's not a good comparison. BUT, that is my ONLY complaint. Other than that, it is a great receiver, and I have enjoyed it's features.
  • The good:
    • The new app called "Pioneer Remote App" - much better than what they previous had, and, although I liked Denon's app, it was a bit buggy for me, so this new one wins
    • Although the dialing in of the sound is difficult, I actually reviewed my speakers, and it seems they were the problem. They worked fine for a lower power Pioneer and Denon, but not so for this one. Long story short, I had some extra speakers laying around and replaced the mids in my old Pioneer CS-G303s and this REALLY helped. Some might argue, but it seems maybe the class d amps need to be paired with the right mix. Before swapping, I was getting a great response from the speakers on a volume level, but not the sound. Eh, who knows, but if you are having trouble, try some new/better speakers
    • The GUI is great
    • Bass is VERY nice for movies with the right speakers (see bullet about the speakers)
    • I was still able to get the system to bump/thump like the old VSX-52 (Denon really never pushed my speakers well)
    • Many more little things to list, but I don't want to make this too long. Overall, it's just a great technological improvement over anything maybe over 5 years old AVR-wise and the class d amps are growing on me
I hope to get some new cerwin vegas soon and see how they do. I'll post if so, and let you know about the results on the sound.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebon View Post
I hope to get some new cerwin vegas soon and see how they do. I'll post if so, and let you know about the results on the sound.
heres to hoping the the CVS your getting are the XLS-215.

-Fred
Old 10-06-2017, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
@VisionxOrb - those look nice, just not sure on the 801 driving it. Although, I see the sensitivity is great, so it may be just fine.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebon View Post
@VisionxOrb - those look nice, just not sure on the 801 driving it. Although, I see the sensitivity is great, so it may be just fine.
They are 6 ohms so no sweat for the amps in the pioneer.

-Fred
Old 10-09-2017, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Rosenberg View Post
I know the Pioneer manual actually instructs us to cold boot these units before any other trouble shooting or service calls, but what about the need to occasionally, but consistently, cold boot the units as a problem in itself? I'm finding level checks and sometimes, i.e. occaisionally, the OSD for System Setup, does not function unless I first cold boot the unit. This is getting old, fast.

Does anyone else have experience with this situation?
Did you get this resolved? I had problems like this first with an SC95 and then an SC97 which is now about to be replaced by the dealer because Pioneer doesn't want to repair it. No more Pioneer for me if there is risk of more glitches. With a device in this price range I'm not crawling on the floor yanking cords once every few days.
Old 10-09-2017, 04:51 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 336
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by politby View Post
Did you get this resolved? I had problems like this first with an SC95 and then an SC97 which is now about to be replaced by the dealer because Pioneer doesn't want to repair it. No more Pioneer for me if there is risk of more glitches. With a device in this price range I'm not crawling on the floor yanking cords once every few days.
The OSD seems to work as often as not now. But I am not accessing those screens as much as when I first got the unit. I find the display on the unit itself is adequate for what I do most frequently now.

-----
2016 Samsung UN65KS9800, UN55KS8500, UN49KS8000
2016 Samsung K8500 UHD BD Player x 2
2016 Samsung HW-K550/SWA-8000S 5.1
2016 Pioneer SC-LX701- AudioSource AMP100VS Atmos/DTS:X 7.1.4
Old 10-11-2017, 09:16 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Anyone else figure out a way to get the built in Chromecast audio to play in stereo only? Looks like the receiver sees it coming in as 5.1, and then locks the sound mode to extended stereo which annoys the piss out of me. What's wrong with being able to just use 2ch audio? There has to be a way to get this to change?

Main system:
75" Sony XBR850D 4k HDR TV / ML Motion 40/30/15 speakers / ML Dynamo 700w / Pioneer Elite SC-LX701 / Class D Audio CDA-250
Bedroom: Definitive Technology SM-55 / Peachtree Nova150
Office: Audioengine A5+ / REL T-Zero sub / Centrance DACMini
Old 10-14-2017, 01:19 PM
Advanced Member

The LX801 is Air Studios certified
How does this affect the sound?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:09 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atredes76 View Post
I am running external amp for my fronts, it appears my surround rears also need to be externally amplified for me to run full 7.2.4 . I am using an lx701 and there is no full manual online for this product yet. Also there is none for the corresponding onkyo. Finally none of my multichannel flac or dsd file will play via USB or network. I cannot get a list of supported files. Can anyone shed light on either of these two issues.
Hi
I am also running the elite lx701. I am trying to do a full 7.2.4 Atmos and wondering a few things. First, from what I understand the height channels share the amps from other channels. I noticed this when I added the second height channel. So is it technically doing the 7.2.4 or is it just putting the same audio out of these channels. I'm not exactly sure how they are working this. So that leads me to my second and subsequent questions. Is it worth buying an amp to power the speakers. What kind of amp would I be looking for? How do these calibrate with MCACC? I will also post this in a separate thread but just wanted to see if I can get some quick input from someone that has had this setup working. THANK YOU
Old 10-14-2017, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelhinchey View Post
Hi
I am also running the elite lx701. I am trying to do a full 7.2.4 Atmos and wondering a few things. First, from what I understand the height channels share the amps from other channels. I noticed this when I added the second height channel. So is it technically doing the 7.2.4 or is it just putting the same audio out of these channels. I'm not exactly sure how they are working this. So that leads me to my second and subsequent questions. Is it worth buying an amp to power the speakers. What kind of amp would I be looking for? How do these calibrate with MCACC? I will also post this in a separate thread but just wanted to see if I can get some quick input from someone that has had this setup working. THANK YOU
7.x.4 is 11 channels, the 701 only has 9 so you HAVE to add an amp to run the 11. here is the crappy part, the unit doesn't have amp assign ability. so you if you add an amp to run your front, those internal amps cant be used for the extra channels. You have to use an amp I believe for the rear surrounds to expand to 11. If you want to amp your front than that would be in addition to.

-Fred

Last edited by VisionxOrb; 10-14-2017 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:26 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
Quote:
Hi
7.x.4 is 11 channels, the 701 only has 9 so you HAVE to add an amp to run the 11. here is the crappy part, the unit doesn't have amp assign ability. so you if you add an amp to run your front, those internal amps cant be used for the extra channels. You have to use an amp I believe for the rear surrounds to expand to 11. If you want to amp your front than that would be in addition to.
Yes I haopened to read that in the advanced manual about the rear heights need to be amped in order to get the last two height channels. So it's a power amp not a pre amp that is needed correct? Ad the rear heights get attached to the power amp. And a rca cable goes from the 701avr to a Power Amp. From what I understand right?
I think I'm gonna stick with the 5.2.4 or maybe reassign and do 7.2.2. Unsure yet.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes I haopened to read that in the advanced manual about the rear heights need to be amped in order to get the last two height channels. So it's a power amp not a pre amp that is needed correct? Ad the rear heights get attached to the power amp. And a rca cable goes from the 701avr to a Power Amp. From what I understand right?
I think I'm gonna stick with the 5.2.4 or maybe reassign and do 7.2.2. Unsure yet.
For the 7.2.4 set up for 701/801, it is indicated on page 9 (captioned "Speaker Combinations") on Basic Manual of 701/801, as shown below:

"*7: This unit consists of a 9 ch amplifier, so with this combination use an RCA cable to connect the power
amplifier to the PRE OUT SURR BACK jacks, then connect the surround back speakers to the power amplifier."

page 9 is attached
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SC-LX701_801_page9.pdf (570.6 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by rfan2nio; 11-26-2017 at 08:39 PM.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked: 681
Quote:
Originally Posted by everettcox22 View Post
Pioneer offers something called "Night Listening Mode" - This is more detailed in the manuals online. Not sure how it compares to Denon.
Does anyone have any info on their night mode dynamic volume? The manual just mentions it. Is it just a single setting or does it have different levels like Denon's dynamic volume?
Old 10-21-2017, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

I got the LX701 yesterday
The network light in the display is on when the AVR is on standby
Is this something I can turn off?
One stupid thing: When the dimmer is fully engaged and I change the source, I can't see the selected source
Then I have to turn the dimmer off
This has never been an issue on my earlier Pioneer AVRs
What is the US model corresponding to the LX701?
Thanks
Old 10-21-2017, 03:41 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
The LX801 is Air Studios certified
How does this affect the sound?
Perhaps it is merely confirmation bias, but I find the sound to be less restricted on the 801 (I used to own the 701 for several months before upgrading to 801).

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
Old 10-21-2017, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOberhardt View Post
Does anyone have any info on their night mode dynamic volume? The manual just mentions it. Is it just a single setting or does it have different levels like Denon's dynamic volume?
The Night Listening Mode is only available as on or off, no varying levels available but it is supposedly a variable one. Meaning the lower the volume you’re playing, the more dynamic compression being applied to the soundtrack. I personally never verified this claim.
MOberhardt likes this.

my home theatre
Old 10-21-2017, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
What is the US model corresponding to the LX701?
Thanks
US/Canada started using the worldwide naming convention for the receivers. Therefore now the global LX701 is the same as US/Canada LX701.

my home theatre
Old 10-21-2017, 03:13 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

For the LX701, is it possible to have the unit upscale a video signal for one source at a time, or is it all or nothing?
Old 10-22-2017, 09:17 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
Perhaps it is merely confirmation bias, but I find the sound to be less restricted on the 801 (I used to own the 701 for several months before upgrading to 801).
I would love to hear more about your experiences
How is the LX801 better?
Now I regret having sold my Pioneer SC-LX77 (European THX model)
Old 10-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Anyone ever bought a receiver from a place called www.accessories4less.com?

I was looking at the Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 for $999 with free shipping. But it is a Refurbished item. I am wondering if these receivers are in bad condition because they are Refurbished items. I have never bought a Refurbished item before.

https://www.accessories4less.com/mak...eceiver/1.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
590 , 7.1.4 , atmos , av receivers , jbl studio , Pioneer , pioneer receiver , pioneer sc-lx801 , receiver , sc lx 801 , sc lx 901