Owner's Thread for Pioneer SC-LX701 / SC-801 / SC-LX901 Receviers - Page 53 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1687Likes

post #1561 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 01:28 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
"the European safety standard BS\EN600 65 for consumer electronics effectively ban the use of the 4mm 'banana' type plug for connecting loudspeakers to amplifiers. The reasoning behind the prohibition of cable-mounted 4mm (and smaller-sized) plugs is that they can be inserted into a European mains socket with possibly fatal consequences."

Wow, nanny state at it's finest.

I have a dual market VSX-D608 from '99
(120/240 switch, radio tuning switch, etc.)

It didn't have that in the binding posts.
HA! Nanny state indeed!

One would think they'd also forbid the sale of banana connections within the EU but don't think that's the case. I've had a couple amplifiers myself that didn't have plugged banana inserts so not every manufacturer follow this safety standard. Those who do allow easy removal so it's no big issue.

NAD M17 V2 (processor) + NAD M27 (multichannel amp)
REVEL CONCERTA2 (5.0 speakers) + SVS SB-2000 LIMITED EDITION (dual subwoofers)
PIONEER UDP-LX500 (uhd bd player)
LG OLED65GX (oled tv)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 01:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaSheep View Post
I have yet to find an explicit setting, but the problem I was trying to overcome is fixed, so I think it is safe to say no setting is needed.

As for the sonics, I have to give it some more time. I just plugged it in this morning. Voices and highs sound good, so far. It seems the mid-bass is a little flat/muddy, though. It looks like Stereo mode is not currently using 2.1 so I assume MCACC set my fronts to large. They are capable down to 50Hz and roll off around 40Hz. I will see what MCACC has done and tweak from there. Given that, I wonder what it has done with the crossover point. I would normally set the crossover to 50 for 2-channel and 80(THX) for movies.

I was very happy with the Onkyo it replaced, but I expect this to match or surpass it. The music was clear, good separation between instruments and wide sound-stage. Of course, I'm not doing an a-b comparison, so it is just from memory. For reference, though, the avr before the Onkyo 809 was a lower level Denon and it was definitely muddy compared to the Onkyo(though maybe not a fair comparison).

Once I get more time with it and am able to tweak it to my liking, I will reply with findings.
I assume you've also listened without EQ/MCACC? If not I bet you'll experiment with it. On the other hand using individual MCACC memory settings should allow you to set crossover to 50 Hz for 2-channel and 80 Hz for movies, if I'm not mistaken...?

I'm running front and rear tower speakers set to 'Large' and my center as 'Small' (80 Hz). Processing is set to 'Pure Direct' with fantastic results for both music and movies. Personally seldom comfortable with automated trickery and EQ's. I'll try MCACC at some point but feel no immediate need considering the wonderful transparency. I've minimised room modes with a few acoustic treatments so that probably helps.

If Pioneer would offer Dirac Live in their receivers things might be more appealing. They signed a deal with them over two years ago so wonder what's holding them back...?

LG OLED65GX (oled tv)
post #1563 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 02:49 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOWNN View Post
and never again will I buy a Pioneer/Oynkyo product!
Best of luck to you then.

If you had looked at this thread you'd notice your issues are not the norm.

Bad unit? Weird interaction of specific devices/firmware versions?

You weren't asking for help here.

And nothing about the interaction with CS.
Did they suggest stuff that didn't work? They give up or did you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1564 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Best of luck to you then.

If you had looked at this thread you'd notice your issues are not the norm.

Bad unit? Weird interaction of specific devices/firmware versions?

You weren't asking for help here.

And nothing about the interaction with CS.
Did they suggest stuff that didn't work? They give up or did you?
Not sure what your point is but I couldn't care less if the issues with that receiver were the norm or not! either a $1300 piece of equipment works or it doesn't!

And evidently you didn't take the time to read my entire post or you would read where I stated CS was absolutely no help whatsoever I only contacted them a dozen times.

Their suggestiono was to unplug the unit and or reset it , there is no way in hell im about to unplug a brand new unit every time I want to use Airplay which is a widespread problem with these units.
post #1565 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyDeg View Post
I assume you've also listened without EQ/MCACC? If not I bet you'll experiment with it. On the other hand using individual MCACC memory settings should allow you to set crossover to 50 Hz for 2-channel and 80 Hz for movies, if I'm not mistaken...?

I'm running front and rear tower speakers set to 'Large' and my center as 'Small' (80 Hz). Processing is set to 'Pure Direct' with fantastic results for both music and movies. Personally seldom comfortable with automated trickery and EQ's. I'll try MCACC at some point but feel no immediate need considering the wonderful transparency. I've minimised room modes with a few acoustic treatments so that probably helps.

If Pioneer would offer Dirac Live in their receivers things might be more appealing. They signed a deal with them over two years ago so wonder what's holding them back...?
I have quite a bit to learn about MCACC and the EQ options, but yes, I will run the unit in direct/pure direct mode from time to time. My room is oddly shaped with a large window on one wall, open area to tile on the other end and an angled fireplace in one corner. It's also the common area in our house, so wall treatments/bass traps are not likely. I've been pretty happy with the results of Audessey (non XT32 version) in the past, so I expect I will be using MCACC much of the time.

I did find the results of MCACC and it was as I thought. The speakers were set to large with no sub in stereo mode while setting the xo to 80Hz. Is the xo preventing <80Hz from reaching the mains even when no sub is recognized? If so, that seems like a substantial error to me, especially if you can only choose between 2 xo options.

Anyway, after setting the sub on and xo to 50Hz, the sound was much improved. I was only able to spend a few minutes with it, though.
post #1566 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Been lurking around the boards for a while now so figured it was time to join the "MADNESS" LOL I just sent back my Pioneer SC-LX801 after having endless problems with the Appleairplay not working unless I unplugged the unit , and the HDMI jacks freezing up constantly needless to say Pioneer tech was absolutely no help whatsoever!

So this next go round ill be ordering the Marantz SR8012 and never looking back , and never again will I buy a Pioneer/Oynkyo product!

After a month of you owning the SR8012... I’ll be interested to hear a report. They gave me this 801 as a warranty replacement for my no longer available SC-97... and while the lower volumes sound fuller... the ATMOS (the entire reason I upgraded my Harman) is subpar in comparison to the 97.

“pioneer”...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1567 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpermike View Post
After a month of you owning the SR8012... I’ll be interested to hear a report. They gave me this 801 as a warranty replacement for my no longer available SC-97... and while the lower volumes sound fuller... the ATMOS (the entire reason I upgraded my Harman) is subpar in comparison to the 97.

“pioneer”...

Im really looking forward to seeing firsthand how well it works with my setup , funny thing is I really wanted to like the 801 I've been a Pioneer enthusiast for 30 years and it saddens me to see their quality where it is today , however ive heard nothing but good things about the Marantz SR8012 so we shall see!

Good or bad im going to put it thru its paces as I did with the Pioneer SC-LX801 and give honest feedback.
post #1568 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 06:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Not sure what your point is but I couldn't care less if the issues with that receiver were the norm or not!
My point was you seem to have given up quickly. And I don't recall you asking here for assistance. Just coming here at the end to bash Pioneer and the product line.

Well there's a bit of clarification. Guess I misunderstood. Thought the HDMI issue was separate from the Airplay issue.

But nothing on the steps taken to isolate the problem. You know troubleshooting 101.

1000s of users without such problems, myself included. Something in your setup doesn't play well with the rest. First thing is find it.

For a $1300 bit of kit I'd spend some time.
I've also seen far more expensive gear that was much more finiky.

Again good luck with the new AVR.
post #1569 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 06:48 PM

Quote:
My point was you seem to have given up quickly. And I don't recall you asking here for assistance. Just coming here at the end to bash Pioneer and the product line.

Well there's a bit of clarification. Guess I misunderstood. Thought the HDMI issue was separate from the Airplay issue.

But nothing on the steps taken to isolate the problem. You know troubleshooting 101.

1000s of users without such problems, myself included. Something in your setup doesn't play well with the rest. First thing is find it.

For a $1300 bit of kit I'd spend some time.
I've also seen far more expensive gear that was much more finiky.

Again good luck with the new AVR.
The bottom line here is you made an ignorant statement without taking the time to read all of what was posted! and you assume I need to "ask" for help without knowing who your talking to or what my level of experience is with A/V equipment , because you claim to have had no problems doesn't mean others have been as fortunate , and if I needed "assistance" im am more than capable of saying so.

And before you attempt to hand out unsolicited advice do your self a favor and at least have a clue as to what it is your attempting to speak on and fyi it isn't bashing when your simply speaking the truth on a given issue that well known.
post #1570 of 2375 Old 11-04-2018, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The bottom line here is you made an ignorant statement without taking the time to read all of what was posted!
You call it truth, I saw it as bashing.

Some weird issue with freezing HDMI that does not seem widespread (certainly not in this thread) and you write off the brand. Not just this model/line but the whole brand and it's sister brand.
post #1571 of 2375 Old 11-05-2018, 06:18 AM

Quote:
The bottom line here is you made an ignorant statement without taking the time to read all of what was posted! and you assume I need to "ask" for help without knowing who your talking to or what my level of experience is with A/V equipment , because you claim to have had no problems doesn't mean others have been as fortunate , and if I needed "assistance" im am more than capable of saying so.

And before you attempt to hand out unsolicited advice do your self a favor and at least have a clue as to what it is your attempting to speak on and fyi it isn't bashing when your simply speaking the truth on a given issue that well known.
There are only 2 truths that matter here.
1. You came here only to complain and that is not the purpose of this thread or forum.
2. This is the owners thread. Since you are no longer an owner, please start your own thread.
Rogozhin, ST Dog and hamio like this.
post #1572 of 2375 Old 11-05-2018, 06:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I have quite a bit to learn about MCACC and the EQ options, but yes, I will run the unit in direct/pure direct mode from time to time. My room is oddly shaped with a large window on one wall, open area to tile on the other end and an angled fireplace in one corner. It's also the common area in our house, so wall treatments/bass traps are not likely. I've been pretty happy with the results of Audessey (non XT32 version) in the past, so I expect I will be using MCACC much of the time.

I did find the results of MCACC and it was as I thought. The speakers were set to large with no sub in stereo mode while setting the xo to 80Hz. Is the xo preventing <80Hz from reaching the mains even when no sub is recognized? If so, that seems like a substantial error to me, especially if you can only choose between 2 xo options.

Anyway, after setting the sub on and xo to 50Hz, the sound was much improved. I was only able to spend a few minutes with it, though.
The way I see it, the limited crossover functionality can be a major drawback for some folks.

Pioneer offers meticulous distance and speaker level settings, but crossover... not so much. For me personally it's not a problem due to my speakers and how I wish to drive them, but for others I know it's a problem. Some people have even chosen other brands over Pioneer because of this detail, despite loving everything else about Pioneer.

LG OLED65GX (oled tv)
post #1573 of 2375 Old 11-05-2018, 09:05 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
1. You came here only to complain and that is not the purpose of this thread or forum.
2. This is the owners thread. Since you are no longer an owner, please start your own thread.

So we should only post the rainbows and unicorns of our owned equipment? Uhhh.. no.

post #1574 of 2375 Old 11-05-2018, 10:47 AM

Quote:
The way I see it, the limited crossover functionality can be a major drawback for some folks.

Pioneer offers meticulous distance and speaker level settings, but crossover... not so much. For me personally it's not a problem due to my speakers and how I wish to drive them, but for others I know it's a problem. Some people have even chosen other brands over Pioneer because of this detail, despite loving everything else about Pioneer.
Yeah, I am surprised it is that limited and didn't consider it before buying. Lucky for me, though, my 2 preferred settings are 50Hz for 2.1 and 80Hz for 5.1. My surrounds start rolling off around 80. My front 3 all have the same components and cabinet volume and don't roll off significantly until around 40hz. We watched a movie last night with company so I couldn't spend too much time tweaking. The bass and mid-to-highs sound right, but the over-all impression is a bit bright which I'm attributing to thin mid-bass at this point. Maybe the xo was still set to 50hz from the 2-channel listening the night before. Still learning this unit. The previous one remembered some of your preferences based on the hdmi input.
post #1575 of 2375 Old 11-05-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Your opinion your truths! I had issues with my unit and I shared those issues so others can be aware if that's complaining sign me up!

Im done here , carry on.
post #1576 of 2375 Old 11-06-2018, 10:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpermike View Post
So we should only post the rainbows and unicorns of our owned equipment?
No, see concurrent discussion on crossover settings.

And many others looking for solutions.

V/s "pioneer sucks, I'm changing brands"
post #1577 of 2375 Old 11-07-2018, 06:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Yeah, I am surprised it is that limited and didn't consider it before buying. Lucky for me, though, my 2 preferred settings are 50Hz for 2.1 and 80Hz for 5.1. My surrounds start rolling off around 80. My front 3 all have the same components and cabinet volume and don't roll off significantly until around 40hz.
I guess most folks simply assume that Pioneer are flexible with crossover settings in the same way most brands are so they don't check before buying. That said, many reviewers and owners have reported frequently on this issue so it ought to be well-known at this point. I myself was fully aware but luckily it's not a problem. Good thing it works for you aswell!

Quote:
We watched a movie last night with company so I couldn't spend too much time tweaking. The bass and mid-to-highs sound right, but the over-all impression is a bit bright which I'm attributing to thin mid-bass at this point. Maybe the xo was still set to 50hz from the 2-channel listening the night before. Still learning this unit. The previous one remembered some of your preferences based on the hdmi input.
I've heard folks describe Pioneer as being a bit on the "bright" side of the audio spectrum. I wouldn't categorize my experience that way but rather point to speaker synergy. I do think Pioneer lean towards a very clean, precise and open sound character overall. This might suit certain speakers and ears perfectly, others perhaps not. For example, back in 2012 I tried the SC-LX86 at home with Monitor Audio Apex and it didn't sound good at all in comparison to the Denon I had at the time. Mating speakers that happen to have a very clean, precise and open sound with electronics of the same character is seldom a recipe for success in my experience. Depends on your audio preference.

Pioneer drive my current Revel Concerta2 very skilfully. With the former NAD separates the sound was a tad restrained and "boxed-in" by comparison. I didn't realise that until I tried the Pioneer however. The processing and amplification of the Pioneer open up the speakers and really flesh them out, while still keeping them under control. Balance and synergy is terrific. One of the best combos I've owned in 25 years. Dynamic swings are more palpable, channel-to-channel coherence more precise, details are easier to hear and overall dimensionality is greater. Despite having only a 5.2 system my smallish room now seems bigger. I don't experience lacklustre mid-bass. Hopefully you get that issue fixed. Perhaps experimenting with manual EQ in the MCACC might fix the issue...?

LG OLED65GX (oled tv)
post #1578 of 2375 Old 11-08-2018, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
I didn't realise that until I tried the Pioneer however. The processing and amplification of the Pioneer open up the speakers and really flesh them out, while still keeping them under control. Balance and synergy is terrific. One of the best combos I've owned in 25 years. Dynamic swings are more palpable, channel-to-channel coherence more precise, details are easier to hear and overall dimensionality is greater
fwiw lower end ess9016 in my 901 is no slouch and sounds not worse than top of the line 9038pro in oppo-205, both connected to parasound hint
RickyDeg likes this.

Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Revel F208 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202, Takstar HF 580
post #1579 of 2375 Old 11-08-2018, 12:46 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vavan View Post
fwiw lower end ess9016 in my 901 is no slouch and sounds not worse than top of the line 9038pro in oppo-205, both connected to parasound hint
The DAC appears to be pretty great. Granted I only utilize it when streaming from Tidal and for Blu-ray's. For CD's and SACD's I'm using the new UDP-LX500 with it's own DAC and much prefer this Pioneer combo compared to NAD with Oppo.
vavan likes this.

LG OLED65GX (oled tv)
post #1580 of 2375 Old 11-08-2018, 06:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Gents --

I'm looking to replace my rock-solid SC-25 (w/ D class amps) with an equivalent Pioneer or better.

Currently my needs are:

5.1 Main Theater
2 speakers in living room

2 speakers in hall (used amp w/ SC-25)

I used my receiver since 2009 for about 4 hours a day without a hiccup so I'm looking for the same reliability and sound.

TV -- looking at various 4K offerings

LX801 LX901? other
post #1581 of 2375 Old 11-10-2018, 05:54 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by <Vibe> View Post
Anyone here ever get the "check speaker wire" issue right before it shuts off when playing above 0.0

I run an Sc-lx 701 and my speaker wires are 12g and has worked well for a while. Last time I had this problem I had a blown tweeter in one of my polks. Replaced and problem gone.

I did a channel level test with the white noise and all speakers and components are accounted for. All wiring was checked and terminals tightened even more than previous.
I had the same error code on my 801, discussed earlier in this thread. I had a blown tweeter diaphragm in my Chorus II's. Since then I have pushed the Chorus II's and Forte II's to 109db without the error.
post #1582 of 2375 Old 11-11-2018, 08:32 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Hey guys,

can't decide between 503 and 701. 701 has MCACC PRO though...is it cool?
post #1583 of 2375 Old 11-11-2018, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egidio Concas View Post
Hey guys,

can't decide between 503 and 701. 701 has MCACC PRO though...is it cool?
One is class A, the other class D! MCACC pro lets you save your own optimization alongside with the automatic! 701 manages more speakers...

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk
post #1584 of 2375 Old 11-12-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw1966 View Post
One is class A, the other class D! MCACC pro lets you save your own optimization alongside with the automatic! 701 manages more speakers...

Envoyé de mon Nexus 7 en utilisant Tapatalk
Honestly, I just have a 5.1 in biwiring but I'm changing AVR because of new TV and 4K player...so HDR, DOLBY VISION etc...so I wanted to buy something good even for future proofing if I want to add more speakers in the future. Do I go with the 701? I mean, the 503 is newer, does it have new features that are missing in the 701?

Last edited by Egidio Concas; 11-12-2018 at 05:25 PM.
post #1585 of 2375 Old 11-13-2018, 01:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 31
The Pioneer Elite SC-LX901, SC-LX801, and SC-LX701 are all 2016 A/V receivers that are 2 years old. Either Pioneer is no longer making high-end A/V receivers like the SC-LX901 anymore or consumers well need to have to wait until late 2019 to see a replacement to the flagship SC-LX901.

Hopefully in 2019 Pioneer well offer a 13.2 channel A/V receiver like the Denon AVR-X8500H with IMAX Enhanced certification.
post #1586 of 2375 Old 11-14-2018, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
air play help

Hi All

I am a new Pioneer 901 owner and so far I have been a happy camper but of late my Air Play and Spotify streaming have stopped working properly..I called support and they just keep telling me to unplug my unit for 60 seconds fort a reset..I would appreciate any help on this matter..thanks guys and I am enjoying the forum..
post #1587 of 2375 Old 11-14-2018, 07:46 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmike39 View Post
Hi All

I am a new Pioneer 901 owner and so far I have been a happy camper but of late my Air Play and Spotify streaming have stopped working properly..I called support and they just keep telling me to unplug my unit for 60 seconds fort a reset..I would appreciate any help on this matter..thanks guys and I am enjoying the forum..
Have had same issues since purchase of the 701 over a year ago.
post #1588 of 2375 Old 11-24-2018, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hey guys,

I own Pioneer SC-LX502 model for a month or so and I need your help to solve ARC connection issue. I've actually connected receiver with my SONY KDL-55W805C using HDMI and TV ARC exit, but after few days it just disconnected it self.

Now every time i run initial setup on Pioneer it just hangs on step 5 (ARC connection) or sometimes gives and error. If I run TV setup to sync ARC devices, it doesn't see Pioneer anymore.

I've done both firmware updates, unplugged A/C for both devices - re-attached cable - nothing works.

I need your help, guys
post #1589 of 2375 Old 11-24-2018, 06:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Gedgauds View Post
Hey guys,

I own Pioneer SC-LX502 model for a month or so and I need your help to solve ARC connection issue. I've actually connected receiver with my SONY KDL-55W805C using HDMI and TV ARC exit, but after few days it just disconnected it self.

Now every time i run initial setup on Pioneer it just hangs on step 5 (ARC connection) or sometimes gives and error. If I run TV setup to sync ARC devices, it doesn't see Pioneer anymore.

I've done both firmware updates, unplugged A/C for both devices - re-attached cable - nothing works.

I need your help, guys
my first step would be factory reset both receiver and tv, second step would try a new certified premium hdmi cable.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #1590 of 2375 Old 11-24-2018, 10:43 PM

I'm about to finally receive my 701 =)

As I saw in one video, the MCACC PRO makes you put the mic in 3 different spots, is it a big improvement compared to the standard MCACC? (I'm coming from an old VSX-924)

Thanks =)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
5.1.4 , 590 , 7.1.4 , 701 , atmos , av receivers , jbl studio , Pioneer , pioneer receiver , pioneer sc-lx801 , receiver , sc lx 801 , sc lx 901

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page