Owner's Thread for Pioneer SC-LX701 / SC-801 / SC-LX901 Receviers - Page 55 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1684Likes

post #1621 of 2368 Old 12-20-2018, 06:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 272
Finally took the plunge and had a 901 delivered today, so now I gotta cut a bunch of new holes in the ceilings and walls to go from 5.2 to 7.4.2. Really hope it still seems like a good idea once I get it all up and running.

"Get me a scotch. I'm starving." JVC DLA RS-540U, Stewart ST 130 G3, Yamaha RX-A3080, Emotiva XPA-3, Panasonic UB820, Oppo 103D, Xfinity X1, Roku, ATV, Harmony 900.  Atmos 7.2.4 via Martin Logan Stage-X, Martin Logan Theos x2, Martin Logan FX x2, Sonance VP69 x2, Sonance VP66 x4, SVS PC12-NSD x2. Viewer's choice between Palliser recliners x7 or Great Dane beds x2.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1622 of 2368 Old 12-20-2018, 08:06 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 717 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Finally took the plunge and had a 901 delivered today, so now I gotta cut a bunch of new holes in the ceilings and walls to go from 5.2 to 7.4.2. Really hope it still seems like a good idea once I get it all up and running.
I'm sure you'll enough the next step in sound evolution. It can be subtle but effective,
youhavequestions likes this.
post #1623 of 2368 Old 12-21-2018, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 15
My search-fu is failing me. Can someone fact check me on the right setting for optimal sound processing from my Apple TV? I have the 801 and a 5.1 (soon to be 5.1.4) setup. All bookshelves so I have the speakers set at SMALL and at 80hz.

My decision is the SURR and AUTO/DIRECT buttons. For the latter I assume “AUTO” which will take full account of my MCACC profile. Also optional is DIRECT but I don’t want PURE DIRECT because that kills MCACC. So, is “AUTO” where I want to be?

And for SURR, I think I need “MULTICHANNEL PCM” for now; but change to DOLBY ATMOS” when I add the height speakers.

Is this correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1624 of 2368 Old 12-23-2018, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I ordered this from Fry's today:Pioneer SC-LX701 185W 9.2-Channel Class D3 Network AV Receiver...on sale for $799.00. I couldn't pass it up so my new in the box Yamaha TSR-7850 is going back to Costco. I hope I did a good thing,but I look forward to testing it out. Any suggestions?
post #1625 of 2368 Old 12-25-2018, 09:30 AM

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi everyone,

Is it worth the money to go for lx701 over lx501 since I am running 5.1 setup??

My concern is sound quality rather power since I 've heard there is different.

Would realy appreciate any input .
Thank you.
post #1626 of 2368 Old 12-28-2018, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I'm having issues with my 901 AVR keeping its settings with a/v signal pass-thru when the unit is turned off. It was keeping the setting for a short time when the unit was new, but now it will only pass the signal through some of the time after you've turned on the receiver. When the signal does successfully go through, I do get the benefits of the upscaling. But it's gone if I turn the AVR off.

- I've tried many different settings but none of them seem to work either all or most of the time.

- The problem persists if I set the CES to ON or OFF (AVR and TV).

- HDMI inputs on the TV make no difference either; ARC or not

- I have the "pass-thru" in settings ON.

- If I am able to get the signal through to the TV, after awhile at times the audio drops out on the TV. I change a channel or two on Sat, the audio will return.

- If I bypass the AVR completely (no connections), all works perfectly.

- I've ran through the basic manual, advanced manual and Pioneer web site troubleshooting, but no luck. My emails to Pioneer support go unanswered.

- I've gone through the "initial set up" numerous times; settings stay only temporary.

- I've done both soft and hard resets, the change is only temporary.

I'm not sure if I'm just not doing something right, if there's a setting I'm not aware of or if there's an internal problem.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Pioneer Elite SC LX901 Receiver - Mesa Engineering Baron Amp - McIntosh MC7106 Amp - Adcom 5503 Amp - Snell XA90's loud/subs - NHT/Sonance surrounds - Klipsch RP-150M 2nd/3rd zone speakers - JBL ext. speakers - Samsung UHD 4K BluRay Player - Hitachi HD DVD Player - Sonos - B&O RX-2 TT w/MMC1 cartridge - Pioneer Elite PD F27 CD Changer - Samsung 65" Q8C Curved QLED 4K TV - DirecTv 4K Sat - Panamax power conditioner - Bell O'getti Rack
post #1627 of 2368 Old 12-28-2018, 04:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by starvingdrummer View Post
Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Why would you not want to use the AVR and attached speakers?

I can't stand crappy built in speakers on TVs anymore. I didn't spend the kind of money i did for occasional use.

I don't know the intricacies of pass-through, CEC, and ARC.

But, if passing through the signal you should nor get any upscaling.
post #1628 of 2368 Old 12-28-2018, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Why would you not want to use the AVR and attached speakers?

I can't stand crappy built in speakers on TVs anymore. I didn't spend the kind of money i did for occasional use.

I don't know the intricacies of pass-through, CEC, and ARC.

But, if passing through the signal you should nor get any upscaling.
If my wife sits down to watch a few quick minutes of the news, she's not going to want to turn on the AVR just for that - and I don't blame her. That's what the pass-thru feature is all about.

Pioneer Elite SC LX901 Receiver - Mesa Engineering Baron Amp - McIntosh MC7106 Amp - Adcom 5503 Amp - Snell XA90's loud/subs - NHT/Sonance surrounds - Klipsch RP-150M 2nd/3rd zone speakers - JBL ext. speakers - Samsung UHD 4K BluRay Player - Hitachi HD DVD Player - Sonos - B&O RX-2 TT w/MMC1 cartridge - Pioneer Elite PD F27 CD Changer - Samsung 65" Q8C Curved QLED 4K TV - DirecTv 4K Sat - Panamax power conditioner - Bell O'getti Rack
post #1629 of 2368 Old 12-28-2018, 04:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If my wife sits down to watch a few quick minutes of the news, she's not going to want to turn on the AVR just for that - and I don't blame her. That's what the pass-thru feature is all about.
I just hit watch TV on the H1 and everything is on and correct inputs selected.

My TV speakers are disabled because they never get used.

The issues you have are just one of the reasons I don't mess with ARC/CEC.

Should just be enable in the AVR and done.

Lost settings and other changes sound like a problem for Pioneer tech support and device centers. A firmware update may have changed something or something broke.
post #1630 of 2368 Old 12-28-2018, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Oppo BDP-93 Problems

I have an Oppo BDP-93 that would output video but no sound using an SC/LX801. Oppo sent me a firmware upgrade and solved it. Today I set up my my speakers using the MCACC and now I'm having the same issue again. Won't output sound on HDMI's 1-4 but will on 5. Any help would be appreciated.
post #1631 of 2368 Old 01-06-2019, 10:38 AM

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Can someone explain the purpose of MCACC Pro? I have an 801 with a 5.2.4 setup and every time I run MCACC it gives me the worst results. Speaker distances off by several feet, often a factor of two. Speaker levels completely mismatched. Requires manual releveling to even hear dialog or the subwoofer.

I really want to use MCACC especially to balance the two subwoofers but honestly it seems like a complete joke. Am I missing something?
post #1632 of 2368 Old 01-06-2019, 12:35 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane M View Post
Can someone explain the purpose of MCACC Pro? I have an 801 with a 5.2.4 setup and every time I run MCACC it gives me the worst results. Speaker distances off by several feet, often a factor of two. Speaker levels completely mismatched. Requires manual releveling to even hear dialog or the subwoofer.

I really want to use MCACC especially to balance the two subwoofers but honestly it seems like a complete joke. Am I missing something?
Wow my mcacc pro works great with my sc lx-801. Distance is spot on. I just adjust the equalizer a little to my liking.
post #1633 of 2368 Old 01-13-2019, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I have a sc-99, two sc-lx901's, elite sub, and center channel that have broken in less than 3 yrs. Pioneer ain't what it was. Expensive low quality. Looking elsewhere for a replacement. RMA road is never satisfying.
post #1634 of 2368 Old 01-13-2019, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane M View Post
Can someone explain the purpose of MCACC Pro?
The point of MCACC is pretty well defined in Pioneer's documentation. Pro ads some extra options and more manual tweaking.

I wouldn't worry about the distances, they sometimes seem odd but worry about how the results sound.

As for levels, your subs are probably to high. After the run what does it set the levels to?

I can't really help with 2 subs, but with one the levels balance out once the sub is right and the mic is properly positioned.

Last edited by ST Dog; 01-14-2019 at 08:16 AM.
post #1635 of 2368 Old 01-14-2019, 03:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annubis View Post
I have a sc-99, two sc-lx901's, elite sub, and center channel that have broken in less than 3 yrs
care to share any gory details?

Parasound Halo Integrated, Pioneer SC-LX 901, Oppo-205, Revel F208 + Heco Aurora Center 30 + Heco Victa Prime 202, Takstar HF 580
post #1636 of 2368 Old 01-14-2019, 08:20 PM

Damp fingers on the sub power switch. Definitely unacceptable; some condensation could have done the trick.
Don't know how the center channel broke.
The SC-99 failed to format via a usb that I didn't bother to power iso(format file record space.) Not really ok, but whatev.
So, I felt they deserved the benefit of the doubt, even though I'd read they were bailed out by Onkyo. Sort of ah.. spite deal to work down Pioneer.
The last two breaks, the SC-LX901's, they shut down after a day's use of music. I put two Scythe slipstream 120mm fans on the last one, but they weren't on at the time. Neither will shutdown now when plugged in.
I've decided to recycle them - and buy a Sony STR-ZA5000ES 9.2 amped 11.2 processing with a monoprice two ch 450W amp.
Post apocalypse = looking forward to walking away from the reciever without a suspicion it won't be "On" when I get back..
vavan likes this.
post #1637 of 2368 Old 01-15-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
I just hit watch TV on the H1 and everything is on and correct inputs selected.

My TV speakers are disabled because they never get used.

The issues you have are just one of the reasons I don't mess with ARC/CEC.

Should just be enable in the AVR and done.

Lost settings and other changes sound like a problem for Pioneer tech support and device centers. A firmware update may have changed something or something broke.
While I understand bypassing the speakers in the TV is common while using an AVR, I also know that having a pass-thru mode is an advantageous feature that AVR's have had for a few years now. The fact that this feature isn't working correctly is the issue here. I spent a little less than 2 hours with multiple "Pioneer support" folks on the phone troubleshooting this issue. At first, they were sure that the receiver had to be powered up for this feature to work. But I asked them why there would be a pass-thru feature at all? They finally came to the realization that you shouldn't need to have the AVR on for this feature to be operable. Then they stumbled through their troubleshooting info and were clueless in the end and we all ended up going nowhere fast (what idiots).

So, since my unit is still under warranty, they will (under duress), service my unit - which probably equates to swapping out with a refurbished unit. I'd imagine I have no say in that matter. Pretty sad. My older Pioneer unit never had any issues, always sounded sweet and even looked better! But that was before the brand was "Onkyod". For this and many other reasons, I wish I'd gone with an Anthem, NAD, Mc or...?

post #1638 of 2368 Old 01-15-2019, 11:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I also know that having a pass-thru mode is an advantageous feature that AVR's have had for a few years now. The fact that this feature isn't working correctly is the issue here.
... For this and many other reasons, I wish I'd gone with an Anthem, NAD, Mc or...?
Anthem, at least the first MRX series, used nearly as much power when off w/ CEC on as when just turned on.

Like I said, CEC is just fraught with issues.

I agree it should work, but in reality it's always a crap shoot.

Change one device on the HDMI chain and it breaks other stuff.

The pass through you want probably works fine with other devices.

Did you try only one device, AVR and TV connected? Change which device is connected to see if one is breaking things.

Try a different TV?

Heaven forbid you want to use a projector occasionally on the other HDMI output.
post #1639 of 2368 Old 01-15-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Question on hooking up a Behringer NX6000D up to the Pioneer Elite SC LX-801.
I am going to run a single passive subwoofer (Dayton Audio Ultimax UM 18-22) off of the NX6000D. I will start with a single sub but will most likely ad a second one. The manual suggest using the subwoofer out for powered subs. (would this sub be considered powered due to external amplification?)
Would I hook up to the sub preout #1 with an RCA (1) to TRS cable to the NX6000D?

Another option looks like the "height 2" for external amplification (left and right) with a RCA (2) to TRS cable?
I would like to use the internal MCCCA Pro to calibrate the subwoofer.
I am new to passive subs and external pro amps so I can use all the help I can get.
Thank you in advance.
post #1640 of 2368 Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
(would this sub be considered powered due to external amplification?)
Yes.

It's just a line level out (vs speaker level) and needs amplification. Whether it a dedicated amp or integrated amp in the cabinet.
post #1641 of 2368 Old 01-16-2019, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Yes.

It's just a line level out (vs speaker level) and needs amplification. Whether it a dedicated amp or integrated amp in the cabinet.
Thank you ST Dog. I was thinking the same thing but a tech from Sweetwater is telling me I need to hook up a dual RCA to single TRS for one sub. I told her I was going to be adding a second sub on Subwoofer out #2 and that confused her.
I will buy a single RCA to TRS and use one subwoofer out for each.
Thanks again,
crunchman12001
post #1642 of 2368 Old 01-16-2019, 07:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
a tech from Sweetwater is telling me I need to hook up a dual RCA to single TRS for one sub. I told her I was going to be adding a second sub on Subwoofer out 2

I will buy a single RCA to TRS and use one subwoofer out for each.
I don't know much about that amp.

I'd assume the stereo phone jack maps L/R (tip/ring) to channel A/B.

So I'd use a stereo RCA to phone and connect sub 1 and sub 2

I'd leave sub 2/channel B open until ready for sub 2.

I would not get a different adapter for just one sub.
post #1643 of 2368 Old 01-17-2019, 02:15 AM

Quote:

I'd assume the stereo phone jack maps L/R (tip/ring) to channel A/B.

So I'd use a stereo RCA to phone and connect sub 1 and sub 2

I'd leave sub 2/channel B open until ready for sub 2.

I would not get a different adapter for just one sub.
Thanks for your help ST Dog.
post #1644 of 2368 Old 01-17-2019, 08:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am going to run a single passive subwoofer (Dayton Audio Ultimax UM 18-22) off of the NX6000D.
I find the power specs questionable. Might want to see if anyone has used it to power a sub and how it worked.

Appears it and the predecessor are used for a lot of home build subs. Something I may consider in the future. (Maybe I can build a better sub reusing my enclosure replacing the driver and the amp)
crunchman12001 likes this.

Last edited by ST Dog; 01-17-2019 at 09:44 AM.
post #1645 of 2368 Old 01-17-2019, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So, I was incorrect. Finally found a manual for it and a bit more looking.
It has 2 separate inputs, one for each channel. So you need 2 adapters.
The inputs are shared XLR and 1/4" phone. The phone can be balanced TRS or unbalanced TS.

You can use simple RCA to mono 1/4" phone.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7176
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7149
Same unbalanced signal that you'd get with and RCA input.

You could do other stuff, but I doubt you'd gain anything, at least not in a HT environment.
post #1646 of 2368 Old 01-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
So, I was incorrect. Finally found a manual for it and a bit more looking.
It has 2 separate inputs, one for each channel. So you need 2 adapters.
The inputs are shared XLR and 1/4" phone. The phone can be balanced TRS or unbalanced TS.

You can use simple RCA to mono 1/4" phone.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7176
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7149
Same unbalanced signal that you'd get with and RCA input.

You could do other stuff, but I doubt you'd gain anything, at least not in a HT environment.
I would like to thank you ST Dog for taking the time to follow up on my post. I see you also post a reply to the Behringer thread pertaining to my question. As mentioned, I will go with a RCA to XLR. I like those because they are idiot proof and cannot be unplugged without unlocking or twisting them.
I will post in the Behringer thread as follow up to not dilute this Pioneer thread.
Thanks again,
crunchman12001
post #1647 of 2368 Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I find the power specs questionable. Might want to see if anyone has used it to power a sub and how it worked.

Appears it and the predecessor are used for a lot of home build subs. Something I may consider in the future. (Maybe I can build a better sub reusing my enclosure replacing the driver and the amp)
Yes, the Inuke's and the new NX series are very popular among the DIY club. The Denovo 4 cu ft flat pack and DIY Marty boxes used with a Dayton Audio Ultimax UM 18-22 shake the foundation.
post #1648 of 2368 Old 01-31-2019, 08:21 PM

I'm wondering if I have 2 dead preamp channels in my Pioneer LX901. It's basically new out of the box.

So my initial setup plan was Pioneer LX901, preamp-out to Devialet D Premier monoblocks, running a 7.2.4 setup. This setup never worked as planned. When running MCACC there was audible sound from the FL/FR speakers but it was significantly quieter than the surrounds; so quiet that the MCACC microphone would register "no speaker" despite the audible sound.

Devialet is finicky so I blamed them. I re-programmed the units, got new cables, changed the sample rate, and eventually (blaming the Devialets) gave up. Took Devialet out of the equation and plugged the FL/FR directly into the Pioneer.

Re-run MCACC - great. The front speakers sound full and powerful, MCACC microphone registers them, all systems go.

Except that when I play any audio - any source that doesn't originate from the Pioneer unit (cable, bluray, radio) - the FL/FR speakers are dead. Not quiet, like before, but ZERO output. When I put a 5.1 mix into stereo mode, I hear the subwoofer only.

I've ruled out a physical connection problem by plugging the FL/FR into the center channel and then going through the setup menu to play a test tone - the FL/FR work perfectly fine (when plugged into the center binding posts). I re-ran MCACC and again, the FL/FR pick up loud and clear. This rules out a power-amp problem and also a binding-post problem or a bad solder joint.

All I can think of is that this is a preamp problem for the FL/FR channels and the MCACC signals are being routed through a preamp / signal generator that bypasses the FL/FR preamp. This probably also means that my initial frustration with the Devialet amps was unfounded, and the problem is likely with the Pioneer unit.

Is there any other way to trouble-shoot this? Am I correct that the MCACC signals would bypass the FL/FR preamp channels? Any fix for this beyond asking Pioneer to service the unit? Thanks.
post #1649 of 2368 Old 02-01-2019, 05:09 AM

Hey guys,
I hooked a Behringer NX6000D up via subwoofer preout #1. While looking for the proper setup of the NX6000D, it was suggested in another forum that the "preout voltage" might not be high enough to properly feed the input voltage requirements of the Behringer? Do you know what the preout voltage on the SC LX-801 is? Everything works but if it could be better.....?
Thanks in advance

EDIT: Called Pioneer. The subwoofer preout voltage is 1 volt / 470 Hz per tech support.

Last edited by crunchman12001; 02-01-2019 at 10:11 AM.
post #1650 of 2368 Old 02-01-2019, 09:15 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedeff View Post
I'm wondering if I have 2 dead preamp channels in my Pioneer LX901. It's basically new out of the box.

So my initial setup plan was Pioneer LX901, preamp-out to Devialet D Premier monoblocks, running a 7.2.4 setup. This setup never worked as planned. When running MCACC there was audible sound from the FL/FR speakers but it was significantly quieter than the surrounds; so quiet that the MCACC microphone would register "no speaker" despite the audible sound.

Devialet is finicky so I blamed them. I re-programmed the units, got new cables, changed the sample rate, and eventually (blaming the Devialets) gave up. Took Devialet out of the equation and plugged the FL/FR directly into the Pioneer.

Re-run MCACC - great. The front speakers sound full and powerful, MCACC microphone registers them, all systems go.

Except that when I play any audio - any source that doesn't originate from the Pioneer unit (cable, bluray, radio) - the FL/FR speakers are dead. Not quiet, like before, but ZERO output. When I put a 5.1 mix into stereo mode, I hear the subwoofer only.

I've ruled out a physical connection problem by plugging the FL/FR into the center channel and then going through the setup menu to play a test tone - the FL/FR work perfectly fine (when plugged into the center binding posts). I re-ran MCACC and again, the FL/FR pick up loud and clear. This rules out a power-amp problem and also a binding-post problem or a bad solder joint.

All I can think of is that this is a preamp problem for the FL/FR channels and the MCACC signals are being routed through a preamp / signal generator that bypasses the FL/FR preamp. This probably also means that my initial frustration with the Devialet amps was unfounded, and the problem is likely with the Pioneer unit.

Is there any other way to trouble-shoot this? Am I correct that the MCACC signals would bypass the FL/FR preamp channels? Any fix for this beyond asking Pioneer to service the unit? Thanks.

Strange indeed...

I have a Nord 1200AS2 power amp connected to front L+R of my SC-LX901 and everything works flawlessly. I have the preamp modus set to front so the internal amps for L+R are switched off.

Are all levels in the SC-LX901 about the same? Have you selected "pass tru" for that specific analog input on the Devialet? Can you check the signal of the front L+R by connecting another amp or a powered subwoofer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
5.1.4 , 590 , 7.1.4 , 701 , atmos , av receivers , jbl studio , Pioneer , pioneer receiver , pioneer sc-lx801 , receiver , sc lx 801 , sc lx 901

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page