Owner's Thread for Pioneer SC-LX701 / SC-801 / SC-LX901 Receviers - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1638Likes

post #1921 of 2111 Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by a_ok2me View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losifanatic View Post
I have an 801 in my Livingroom and a 501 in my bedroom. What would be the best way to link the bedroom receiver to the Livingroom one. When I have music playing in the Livingroom I would like the 501 to play it also.
Probably 801 HDMI 2 Out to the 501 HDMI In (page 18 in the manual) an then page 23, step 4 select "with External Power Amplifier". In the SC-99 there were two HDMI out, basically a splitter. It was simpler but probably more costly to build.
That what I was thinking too. Just wanted to be sure before I buy a 50+ft hdmi cable
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 2111 Old 05-27-2019, 01:41 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 1
This is a really odd question, but has anyone seen the title of the latest firmware update? I was going to go for a fairly heavily discounted 801 and downloaded the firmware file to see what features have been added but...I dunno. Does someone know something I don't?

This is the title:
PIOAVR1022_HAHAHAHAHAHPHP_N_118.zip
post #1923 of 2111 Old 05-27-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Owner's Thread for Pioneer SC-LX701 / SC-801 / SC-LX901 Receviers

They have all had namings like that
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1924 of 2111 Old 05-27-2019, 11:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 357 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by russraff View Post
but has anyone seen the title of the latest firmware update?
This is the title:
PIOAVR1022_HAHAHAHAHAHPHP_N_118.zip
Maybe it was some programmers last day and they left an extra "surprise" lurking in the FW

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #1925 of 2111 Old 06-04-2019, 11:53 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A friend of of mine that also has LX801 but different other hardware than me has a strange problem.

His front speakers are Thivan EROS-9 horn speakers with 99db sensitivity and a Klipsch RC-64 mk-3.
Also smaller Klipsch surround speakers in a 7.1 setup with a 80Hz crossover.
He uses a 2ch integrated amp for the front speakers preout.

The problem he has is that his better half want’s to watch movies in really low volume.
When his LX801 is used in Symmetry, Direct mode (or any other mode) the dialogue is very bleary/vague.
When he goes from -35db to -25db almost nothing happens to the clarity.
or volume. But suddenly a bit higher the voices get ultra clear as they should sound. It sounds like the dialogue
is muddled by bass to me.

He suspect that LX801 does not handle ultra sensitive speakers well.. My question is, does anyone else with
Klipsch speakers have this problem?
Btw he had a smaller Klipsch center before that didn’t behave this way.

TV: Sony KD-65ZD9 BLURAY: Pioneer UDP-LX800 PREPRO: Emotiva RMC-1 11ch AMP: Emotiva XPA-11 gen3 Network streamer: Pioneer N-70AE Speakers: Front SVS Ultra Tower Center SVS Ultra Center Surround (4 speakers) Dynavoice Definition DX-5 Height (4 speakers top) SVS Prime Elevation Subwoofer (2 subwoofers) XTZ SUB 12.17 Edge
post #1926 of 2111 Old 06-04-2019, 12:17 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked: 665
I personally don’t use symmetry as it EQ all speakers too much. I use front align so the front L and R are not EQ-ed at all. With Front Align, I find my PSB Image Center to sound very natural (I use System Audio Aura 50 for me L and R)

follow my A/V tweets @davidsusilo
ISF, THX, CEDIA, Control4 & HAA certified
Reviewer for TED & WifiHifi Magazines
my (yet to be completed) BD list
my home theatre
post #1927 of 2111 Old 06-04-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Susilo View Post
I personally don’t use symmetry as it EQ all speakers too much. I use front align so the front L and R are not EQ-ed at all. With Front Align, I find my PSB Image Center to sound very natural (I use System Audio Aura 50 for me L and R)
I can’t personally use Front align as it makes my surround sound muddled an bassy in my room.
For now I use All channel adjust with the direct mode which I have found sounds best.

I used to always use symmetry, but since upgrading my speakers that changed.

For me my SVS Ultra Center also sounds natrual.. Natrual is the best way to describe the sound.
IMO the Klipsch sound with voices in movies don’t sound natrual, clear yes, but not natrual.

TV: Sony KD-65ZD9 BLURAY: Pioneer UDP-LX800 PREPRO: Emotiva RMC-1 11ch AMP: Emotiva XPA-11 gen3 Network streamer: Pioneer N-70AE Speakers: Front SVS Ultra Tower Center SVS Ultra Center Surround (4 speakers) Dynavoice Definition DX-5 Height (4 speakers top) SVS Prime Elevation Subwoofer (2 subwoofers) XTZ SUB 12.17 Edge
post #1928 of 2111 Old 06-04-2019, 01:15 PM

I personally can’t stand the sound of Klipsch for the past 10 years. They sound like PA speakers to my ears. Very harsh.

my home theatre
post #1929 of 2111 Old 06-04-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I personally can’t stand the sound of Klipsch for the past 10 years. They sound like PA speakers to my ears. Very harsh.
Yes, if not setup with the right hardware..

A friend of mine owns Klipsch Palladium bookshelf and center speakers. They don’t have the classic Klipsch sound.. They actually
sound amazing IMO.. But at that price they should sound good.

post #1930 of 2111 Old 06-04-2019, 01:42 PM

Yes, those are closer to the classic Klipsch sound (which I actually like). But most “current” Klipsch in the mid and lower end are bad to my ears.

my home theatre
post #1931 of 2111 Old 06-04-2019, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSamwel View Post
A friend of of mine that also has LX801 but different other hardware than me has a strange problem.

His front speakers are Thivan EROS-9 horn speakers with 99db sensitivity and a Klipsch RC-64 mk-3.
Also smaller Klipsch surround speakers in a 7.1 setup with a 80Hz crossover.
He uses a 2ch integrated amp for the front speakers preout.

The problem he has is that his better half want’s to watch movies in really low volume.
When his LX801 is used in Symmetry, Direct mode (or any other mode) the dialogue is very bleary/vague.
When he goes from -35db to -25db almost nothing happens to the clarity.
or volume. But suddenly a bit higher the voices get ultra clear as they should sound. It sounds like the dialogue
is muddled by bass to me.

He suspect that LX801 does not handle ultra sensitive speakers well.. My question is, does anyone else with
Klipsch speakers have this problem?
Btw he had a smaller Klipsch center before that didn’t behave this way.
I'm running all rp klipsch speakers on my 801. No matter the mode my dialogue is very clean and clear at all volumes. Something isnt right with his setup(speakers or receiver)
post #1932 of 2111 Old 06-04-2019, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
No problems with Klipsch on my 801 either. The setup of using pre-out to an integrated amp rather than a power amp might be looked into. There's an option to turn off unused 801 amps when using an external. Advanced manual pp 40-41.

Preamp Mode
If speakers are connected to the PRE OUT jacks on this unit via a power amplifier, you can reduce the power consumed by this unit by turning off the power supplied to the SPEAKERS terminals you are not using on this unit.
Preamp Mode
Default Value: No
Select the SPEAKERS terminals whose power you want to turn off. "No": Power is supplied to all SPEAKERS terminals. Select when a power amplifier is not connected. "Front": Turns off the power for the SPEAKERS terminals for the front speakers. "Front + Center": Turns off the power for the SPEAKERS terminals for the front speakers and center speaker. "All": Turns off the power for all SPEAKERS terminals. Select when this unit is to be used as the pre*amplifier. This setting cannot be selected when bi*amp connection is used for speakers

Always changing
post #1933 of 2111 Old 06-05-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Yes, those are closer to the classic Klipsch sound (which I actually like). But most “current” Klipsch in the mid and lower end are bad to my ears.
Yes, sorry I meant ”current” Klipsch.. the mid and low end speakers are what Klipsch is known for atleast the last 20 years or so.

I didn’t mean classic sound as old Klipsch sound rather classic=normal.

post #1934 of 2111 Old 06-05-2019, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjer11 View Post
No problems with Klipsch on my 801 either. The setup of using pre-out to an integrated amp rather than a power amp might be looked into. There's an option to turn off unused 801 amps when using an external. Advanced manual pp 40-41.

Preamp Mode
If speakers are connected to the PRE OUT jacks on this unit via a power amplifier, you can reduce the power consumed by this unit by turning off the power supplied to the SPEAKERS terminals you are not using on this unit.
Preamp Mode
Default Value: No
Select the SPEAKERS terminals whose power you want to turn off. "No": Power is supplied to all SPEAKERS terminals. Select when a power amplifier is not connected. "Front": Turns off the power for the SPEAKERS terminals for the front speakers. "Front + Center": Turns off the power for the SPEAKERS terminals for the front speakers and center speaker. "All": Turns off the power for all SPEAKERS terminals. Select when this unit is to be used as the pre*amplifier. This setting cannot be selected when bi*amp connection is used for speakers
Yes, I know of this feature. I use it myself for all channels My friend also use it to shut off the front channels.

His integrated 2ch stereo amp also has a direct input for power amp use in a home theater setup.

The problem he has is only with the center channel and only in low volumes.

post #1935 of 2111 Old 06-05-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, sorry I meant ”current” Klipsch.. the mid and low end speakers are what Klipsch is known for atleast the last 20 years or so.

I didn’t mean classic sound as old Klipsch sound rather classic=normal.
Ah! I understand.

my home theatre
post #1936 of 2111 Old 06-05-2019, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Yes, I know of this feature. I use it myself for all channels My friend also use it to shut off the front channels.

His integrated 2ch stereo amp also has a direct input for power amp use in a home theater setup.

The problem he has is only with the center channel and only in low volumes.

That's a nice center. Has the cal set the trim really low? Perhaps raising trim 4-5 db across the board would wake it up. Also, you mentioned it sounds bassy. Have you tried setting it to small?

Last edited by Bigjer11; 06-05-2019 at 11:09 PM.
post #1937 of 2111 Old 06-07-2019, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 413
Well, I just joined the party! I've had my eye on the SC-LX901 refurb at accessories4less for about a year, but wanted to wait to make the purchase until my room was far enough along that I'd be able to test it thoroughly. In that time, A4L raised the price a few times, but eventually it went back down. I pulled the trigger over the weekend, and it arrived today.

Here's your minor cosmetic damage - a surface scratch on the display window that you can't even feel, and is only visible if you shine a light right at it. If I wanted to, I could polish this out with some plast-x.... but it will live in a rack closet, so probably not going to bother.

The space vacated by my trusty old VSX-49TX...

... now filled by the 901.

I tested out all the HDMI inputs successfully - then thumbed through various content. So far, so good!

RickyDeg and vavan like this.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
post #1938 of 2111 Old 06-07-2019, 08:13 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by James92TSi View Post
Well, I just joined the party! I've had my eye on the SC-LX901 refurb at accessories4less for about a year, but wanted to wait to make the purchase until my room was far enough along that I'd be able to test it thoroughly. In that time, A4L raised the price a few times, but eventually it went back down. I pulled the trigger over the weekend, and it arrived today.

Here's your minor cosmetic damage - a surface scratch on the display window that you can't even feel, and is only visible if you shine a light right at it. If I wanted to, I could polish this out with some plast-x.... but it will live in a rack closet, so probably not going to bother.

I tested out all the HDMI inputs successfully - then thumbed through various content. So far, so good!

Bought my sc801 from them and never looked back! Congratulations nice setup and enjoy!
James92TSi likes this.
post #1939 of 2111 Old 06-07-2019, 09:25 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by James92TSi View Post

Best of luck my friend. I made the exact purchase through the same web site for the same unit and deal - and I've never been so unhappy with any audio component and purchase. My issues with the unit/retailer and Pio service are well documented on this forum.

Hopefully your experience will be better than mine.

Pioneer Elite SC LX901 Receiver - Mesa Engineering Baron Amp - McIntosh MC7106 Amp - Adcom 5503 Amp - Snell XA90's loud/subs - NHT/Sonance surrounds - Klipsch RP-150M 2nd/3rd zone speakers - JBL ext. speakers - Samsung UHD 4K BluRay Player - Hitachi HD DVD Player - Sonos - B&O RX-2 TT w/MMC1 cartridge - Pioneer Elite PD F27 CD Changer - Samsung 65" Q8C Curved QLED 4K TV - DirecTv 4K Sat - Panamax power conditioner - Bell O'getti Rack
post #1940 of 2111 Old 06-08-2019, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Pardon if this has been asked before, but is there any indication that Pioneer will be updating the 801/901 receivers? I love my SC-85 and have never found a better combo than my B&W speakers and MCACC Pro. I’m getting absolutely stunning sound from this combo using full-band phase correction and calibrated EQ for frequencies 500hz and below (as per calibration suggestions from Paul Barton of PSB speakers - allowing for the native voicing of the speakers while correcting low frequency issues in the room). I’m also a fan of the virtual wide speakers setting. I’d like to update to a 4K projector, but I worry about the age of the 801 and would rather wait for a newer unit with updated HDMI, etc. Any thoughts? Are the Onkyos getting all of these high end features these days?

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."

Last edited by KilgoreT; 06-08-2019 at 09:08 AM.
post #1941 of 2111 Old 06-08-2019, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreT View Post
would rather wait for a newer unit with updated HDMI, etc. Any thoughts? Are the Onkyos getting all of these high end features these days?
What model do they have that's comparable to the 901 with such updates?
TX-RZ3100 is all I see and they don't have any HDMI updates, same HDMI 2.0a.

Of course there aren't many HDMI 2.1 devices yet anyway.

To your other question, there no replacement/update from Pioneer announced yet.
post #1942 of 2111 Old 06-08-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilgoreT View Post
Pardon if this has been asked before, but is there any indication that Pioneer will be updating the 801/901 receivers? I love my SC-85 and have never found a better combo than my B&W speakers and MCACC Pro. I’m getting absolutely stunning sound from this combo using full-band phase correction and calibrated EQ for frequencies 500hz and below (as per calibration suggestions from Paul Barton of PSB speakers - allowing for the native voicing of the speakers while correcting low frequency issues in the room). I’m also a fan of the virtual wide speakers setting. I’d like to update to a 4K projector, but I worry about the age of the 801 and would rather wait for a newer unit with updated HDMI, etc. Any thoughts? Are the Onkyos getting all of these high end features these days?
The replacement for 701/801/901 will be announced in July/August.

my home theatre
post #1943 of 2111 Old 06-08-2019, 10:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
The replacement for 701/801/901 will be announced in July/August.
Based on what info?
This is the first I've seen that mentioned.
post #1944 of 2111 Old 06-08-2019, 12:13 PM

I can’t mention, but just wait and see if there is any doubt.

my home theatre
post #1945 of 2111 Old 06-08-2019, 06:16 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Great! Thank you.

"What you got back home, little sister, to play your fuzzy warbles on? I bet you got, say, pitiful portable picnic players."
post #1946 of 2111 Old 06-10-2019, 11:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Does this mean that my recently purchased BRAND NEW SC-LX901 *Refined Edition* will be obsolete come August? I sincerely hope not. You would think giving the flagship a face lift would last a bit longer than a few months!

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #1947 of 2111 Old 06-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archibald1 View Post
Does this mean that my recently purchased BRAND NEW SC-LX901 *Refined Edition* will be obsolete come August?
I doubt it. Even if a replacement is announced, it probably won't be available for a while.
I don't see it making the 901 obsolete either. Maybe they'll add HDMI 2.2, but not much that can use it yet.

I can't think of any missing technologies they can add to a replacememt AVR
post #1948 of 2111 Old 06-10-2019, 03:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 2102 Post(s)
Liked: 1144
Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
I doubt it. Even if a replacement is announced, it probably won't be available for a while.
I don't see it making the 901 obsolete either. Maybe they'll add HDMI 2.2, but not much that can use it yet.

I can't think of any missing technologies they can add to a replacememt AVR
I sincerely hope so.
I agree that there isn't really anything else they could add to an AVR that would make a material difference, but I wouldn't mind an IMAX Enhanced functionality update mind you, as it should be an easy addition via software.
I think you meant HDMI 2.1 but yes I would have thought that will be the new standard in this year's receivers.
As I don't have any need for any of 2.1s features at this point I don't mind about that.
I do find it funny however that we still haven't reached a point where 18Gbps HDMI 2.0b is fully utilised and implemented in a fully reliable way and yet here we are with a new version...
Doubtless a new version of HDCP will be shoehorned in to frustrate and reduce reliability as always...

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking.
post #1949 of 2111 Old 06-10-2019, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
I wanna hook up a subwoofer to accommodate my outdoor speakers which are speaker B only,on my LX-701,How do I go about this?
post #1950 of 2111 Old 06-13-2019, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey guys.

This sure has been mentioned before, but its really not too easy to scan 65 pages of this thread

The time has come to find a replacement for my Cambridge 651r since I got myself a 4k TV with full variety of modern HDR features and that old pal can't keep up with that. So, my shortlist is currently the following: 4500h, 6200w, 7013 and, finally, the 801. I have an awesome deal right now for the 801 at ~$1,200 and before I pull the trigger on that, I have a few questions:

1. Were the HLG, Dolby Vision and other latest HDR features implemented on the 801?
2. I understand that it is a few years old by now. so does it make sense to buy it at this point of time? Or should I explore something "newer"?

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
590 , 7.1.4 , atmos , av receivers , jbl studio , Pioneer , pioneer receiver , pioneer sc-lx801 , receiver , sc lx 801 , sc lx 901

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page