Owner's Thread for Pioneer SC-LX701 / SC-801 / SC-LX901 Receviers - Page 66 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1608Likes

post #1951 of 1989 Old 06-13-2019, 08:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Ivanov View Post
Hey guys.

This sure has been mentioned before, but its really not too easy to scan 65 pages of this thread

The time has come to find a replacement for my Cambridge 651r since I got myself a 4k TV with full variety of modern HDR features and that old pal can't keep up with that. So, my shortlist is currently the following: 4500h, 6200w, 7013 and, finally, the 801. I have an awesome deal right now for the 801 at ~$1,200 and before I pull the trigger on that, I have a few questions:

1. Were the HLG, Dolby Vision and other latest HDR features implemented on the 801?
2. I understand that it is a few years old by now. so does it make sense to buy it at this point of time? Or should I explore something "newer"?

Cheers
I have the 801 and it's a great receiver! It was upgraded to both a while ago.
It's still being upgraded so we will see to where they will take it.
This kind of technology is always a moving target.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1952 of 1989 Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Ivanov View Post
1. Were the HLG, Dolby Vision
Added with updates. Not sure what current formats might not be supported. There is a reporting issue with some stuff but it's actually working right, just misreported.

Look back a few posts. Someone claims an announcement coming, but I don't know what it could add.

Last edited by ST Dog; 06-13-2019 at 09:04 PM.
post #1953 of 1989 Old 06-14-2019, 12:09 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks guys, that's what I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST Dog View Post
Look back a few posts. Someone claims an announcement coming, but I don't know what it could add.
Yea I saw that. I guess if anythiong, it should be the new hdmi and some updated hardware
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1954 of 1989 Old 06-18-2019, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
picked up the last brand new 701 from best buy this past Saturday to replace my VSX-TXH01. disconnected the old receiver and got the 701 all hooked up, hit the power button and nothing. no response at all. tried the reset etc. still nothing. called best buy and they said it would be 2 weeks to get another. how could this new pioneer not work out of the box? the box was in fairly good condition. i saw a bunch of fuses through the top cover. so i popped the top cover off and checked all the fuses and everything was good. i then found the jumper cable that goes from the main power board to the main board was not seated all the way on one end, i pressed it in and walla the receiver works.

i'm happy with the sound compared to the old one. seems like there isn't a lot of bass though.
post #1955 of 1989 Old 06-18-2019, 03:33 PM
Advanced Member

What speakers and how did you configure them?

Did you run MCACC? What settings?
post #1956 of 1989 Old 06-19-2019, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
What speakers and how did you configure them?

Did you run MCACC? What settings?
fronts definitive technology studio monitor 350's
Center definitive technology clr2002
Surrounds Definitive technology BP2's

HSU VTF3-K subwoofer.

i did run MCACC they are all set to small with 80hz x-over

doing nothing different it seems to lack bass from the subwoofer compared to the original receiver. although it still sounds great.

i'll play with some settings tonight. looks like MCACC left the eq settings for the sub at 0 across the board
post #1957 of 1989 Old 06-19-2019, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
The calibration of the sub is phasing and level. Go into setup and raise the sub channel level 3-5 db.

Always changing
post #1958 of 1989 Old 06-19-2019, 12:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I’m getting a pop from my LX-801 after being turned on 3-5 mins... and sometimes a minute or so after turning it off.

Anyone else experiencing this? It seems to be working normally, hard to tell since the Atmos has never held a candle to my SC-97.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #1959 of 1989 Old 06-19-2019, 06:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpermike View Post
I’m getting a pop from my LX-801 after being turned on 3-5 mins... and sometimes a minute or so after turning it off.

Anyone else experiencing this? It seems to be working normally, hard to tell since the Atmos has never held a candle to my SC-97.

Used to get some random pops when new, but not recently.
thumpermike likes this.
post #1960 of 1989 Old 06-20-2019, 05:22 AM

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Used to get some random pops when new, but not recently.
Yes, I think one of the firmware updates corrected this
post #1961 of 1989 Old 06-21-2019, 09:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zchrisz View Post
i did run MCACC they are all set to small with 80hz x-over
What about all-channel, symmetry, etc?

Quote:
doing nothing different it seems to lack bass from the subwoofer compared to the original receiver. although it still sounds great.
Play with the time setting for reverb. That can have a big effect.

I wouldn't worry about the normal eq, at least not now.

It's also possible you had the bass to hot before. You may just be used to too much bass. You can tweak it a bit on the fly but I don't.

You didn't mention the levels set for the sub or other channels. Is the dub near zero and all within 4 or 5 dB of zero?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjer11 View Post
Go into setup and raise the sub channel level 3-5 db.
The level should have been balanced with the other channels by MCACC. And movie LFE track include some boost.

Bumping the level 3-5dB across the board will make everything bass heavy like in a club instead of balanced per the audio mix.
post #1962 of 1989 Old 06-21-2019, 10:14 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
What about all-channel, symmetry, etc?

Play with the time setting for reverb. That can have a big effect.

I wouldn't worry about the normal eq, at least not now.

It's also possible you had the bass to hot before. You may just be used to too much bass. You can tweak it a bit on the fly but I don't.

You didn't mention the levels set for the sub or other channels. Is the dub near zero and all within 4 or 5 dB of zero?

The level should have been balanced with the other channels by MCACC. And movie LFE track include some boost.

Bumping the level 3-5dB across the board will make everything bass heavy like in a club instead of balanced per the audio mix.
Doing advanced room cal won’t help his subwoofer level. It makes the overall sound thinner/clearer or thicker/muddier.

But you’re correct that he probably had the subwoofer level higher before. In my experience Pioneer usually sets subwoofer level about
3-4db too low for my taste.
Optimally the level dial should be set so calibration sets subwoofer at the same level as the rest of the speakers. If 75db is about -2 then the
correct subwoofer volume (on the subwoofer) should be in a position that it reaches this level. The volume dial at mid level is a good start for most subs.

TV: Sony KD-65ZD9 BLURAY: Pioneer UDP-LX800 PREPRO: Emotiva RMC-1 11ch AMP: Emotiva XPA-11 gen3 Network streamer: Pioneer N-70AE Speakers: Front SVS Ultra Tower Center SVS Ultra Center Surround (4 speakers) Dynavoice Definition DX-5 Height (4 speakers top) SVS Prime Elevation
post #1963 of 1989 Old 06-22-2019, 10:07 AM

[QUOTE=HSamwel;58140396]I can’t personally use Front align as it makes my surround sound muddled an bassy in my room.
For now I use All channel adjust with the direct mode which I have found sounds best.

Since our last round, I've swapped the fronts out for a more musical, neutral pair and found the Klipsch center to not blend as well. So that's been replaced with a more laid back unit from Martin Logan that is even more efficient. The auto cal drove the trim into the basement and I had to run it +4 hot to balance dialogue during movies. I too have found running direct without EQ provides a cleaner sound and I'll revisit All Channel cal. So many choices, none of them wrong.
post #1964 of 1989 Old 06-24-2019, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
4 subwoofer

[quote=Bigjer11;58214992]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSamwel View Post
I can’t personally use Front align as it makes my surround sound muddled an bassy in my room.
For now I use All channel adjust with the direct mode which I have found sounds best.

Since our last round, I've swapped the fronts out for a more musical, neutral pair and found the Klipsch center to not blend as well. So that's been replaced with a more laid back unit from Martin Logan that is even more efficient. The auto cal drove the trim into the basement and I had to run it +4 hot to balance dialogue during movies. I too have found running direct without EQ provides a cleaner sound and I'll revisit All Channel cal. So many choices, none of them wrong.
post #1965 of 1989 Old 06-24-2019, 02:53 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
New question.
Has anyone had any luck setting 4 Subwoofers up on a pioneer lx 701 this is using an lfe and no splitters. Is there some device that will power them from 2 lfe to 4 lfe?..contact [email protected]
post #1966 of 1989 Old 06-24-2019, 09:02 PM

The miniDSP 2x4 HD is often used

Always changing
post #1967 of 1989 Old 06-25-2019, 09:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 30
I hope that in 2019 Pioneer well come out with a replacement to the 2016 Pioneer Elite SC-LX901, SC-LX801, and SC-LX701. The SC-LX901 is now 3 years old and hopefully a new 2019 flagship A/V receiver well be released as a replacement.

I see Pioneer has released some new entry level and medium level Elite A/V receivers for the year 2019. The Pioneer Elite VSX-LX504, VSX-LX304, and VSX-LX104. The advantage of the VSX-LX504 and VSX-LX304 is that those A/V receivers are IMAX Enhanced certified with a promised future firmware update. However there is no HDMI 2.1 and HDR10+ pass through feature is not mentioned in the specs. The VSX-LX504 and VSX-LX304 are using HDMI 2.0b with HDCP 2.2. Standard HDR10, HLG, and Dolby Vision HDR pass through is offered.

In the ideal world a 2019 flagship Pioneer A/V receiver should offer 13.2 channels, HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.3 copy protection, HDR10+ pass through, Auro 3D, HD radio, and IMAX enhanced certification.
post #1968 of 1989 Old 06-25-2019, 08:46 PM

Question for my 801 gurus.

When I’m listening to music on Spotify, through either my Sony TV, or Spotify In the Pioneer, I prefer audio coming from as many speakers as possible equally. I select Extended Stereo, but my surrounds have a delay causing an echo. It muddies up the music a bit. Not terribly, but I notice it. It’s really bad when you switch songs though, though, though, though....

Is there something I can adjust while in Extended Stereo to curb this?

post #1969 of 1989 Old 06-25-2019, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

Are your speaker dIstances set accurately?

I don't have that issue with extended stereo, at least not in the main listening position.

Bur I tend to listen to stereo in 2.1. Extended stereo ruins the sound stage set by the front/ speakers.
post #1970 of 1989 Old 06-25-2019, 09:51 PM

Owner's Thread for Pioneer SC-LX701 / SC-801 / SC-LX901 Receviers

Quote:
Are your speaker dIstances set accurately?

I don't have that issue with extended stereo, at least not in the main listening position.

Bur I tend to listen to stereo in 2.1. Extended stereo ruins the sound stage set by the front/ speakers.

Yes, sounds great watching movies on any other source, ATV4K, Xbox One X.. only notice it with Spotify. Edit: I should say, only notice it in Extended Stereo... not using that mode for anything else but music.

I don’t care much for sound stage musically, I’m not watching concerts, I’m trying to rock the house. Haha.

post #1971 of 1989 Old 06-25-2019, 10:01 PM

Did some source checks... it doesn’t matter what I’m watching or listening to, it only has the echo in the Extended mono or Extended stereo modes.

post #1972 of 1989 Old 06-26-2019, 07:16 AM

[QUOTE=thumpermike;58227414]Did some source checks... it doesn’t matter what I’m watching or listening to, it only has the echo in the Extended mono or Extended stereo modes.

There's a whole section about reverb, how it's set during cal and viewing results, in the advanced manual. Here's one statement:EQ ProfessionalYou can automatically measure and calibrate the reverberation characteristics (how the sound echoes) of the room. First measure the reverberations with "Reverb Measurement", then check the results with "Reverb View". Specify the calibrated time position in "Advanced EQ Setup" based on the measured results to automatically calibrate the reverberation characteristics.
Pioneer states the Extended Stereo mode is suited for background music but, like you, I like to turn the big knob and not listen to the rants of the 2 channel purists. Having a 3 dimensional presentation can be a real hoot.
thumpermike likes this.

Always changing
post #1973 of 1989 Old 06-26-2019, 07:55 AM

[quote=Bigjer11;58228360]
Quote:
Did some source checks... it doesn’t matter what I’m watching or listening to, it only has the echo in the Extended mono or Extended stereo modes.

There's a whole section about reverb, how it's set during cal and viewing results, in the advanced manual. Here's one statement:EQ ProfessionalYou can automatically measure and calibrate the reverberation characteristics (how the sound echoes) of the room. First measure the reverberations with "Reverb Measurement", then check the results with "Reverb View". Specify the calibrated time position in "Advanced EQ Setup" based on the measured results to automatically calibrate the reverberation characteristics.
Pioneer states the Extended Stereo mode is suited for background music but, like you, I like to turn the big knob and not listen to the rants of the 2 channel purists. Having a 3 dimensional presentation can be a real hoot.

Thank you. Sounds like I’ll just be living with it. The reverb is great in all the other listening modes. I don’t want to make any global changes. Just was wondering if there was anything I could adjust for the individual mode.

post #1974 of 1989 Old 06-26-2019, 09:58 AM

[QUOTE=thumpermike;58228532][quote=Bigjer11;58228360]

Thank you. Sounds like I’ll just be living with it. The reverb is great in all the other listening modes. I don’t want to make any global changes. Just was wondering if there was anything I could adjust for the individual mode.

One path you might try. Run a manual cal, with minimum reverb, and load that to one of the other memory slots. Then you could switch to it,on the fly, from where you are now.

Always changing
post #1975 of 1989 Old 06-26-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjer11 View Post

One path you might try. Run a manual cal, with minimum reverb, and load that to one of the other memory slots. Then you could switch to it,on the fly, from where you are now.

Outstanding idea. I’ll give that a try. I had forgotten you could even store multiple.

post #1976 of 1989 Old 06-26-2019, 11:19 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
12-channel analog input?

Hello. Can any owners of an LX901 verify if the unit can accept 11.1 discrete analog input?

This is an unusual use case and a difficult question find an answer for, so I'm turning to the only folks I can trust -- owners. =)

I'm into mixing surround audio as a hobby. Thus far, I've been running 8 channels from my workstation into an Aventage 3040's multi-channel inputs (7.1).

Recent software upgrades offer the ability to mix Dolby Atmos, which is exciting... however, I'm left scratching my head with handing 4 additional channels.

The back of the LX901 shows 12 'assignable' RCA 'Audio In' ports. Could this be the solution?

I imagine there's a way to assign each of those 12 channels to speakers... perhaps in the mobile app. But I can't find information about this in the manual, and I can't run the app without owning a Pioneer receiver.

If anyone might be able to help me identify the answer to this mystery, hopefully, I can send you a coffee (SBux gift card?) or something.
post #1977 of 1989 Old 06-26-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Outstanding idea. I’ll give that a try. I had forgotten you could even store multiple.

As the cal saves to the profile you're running on, switch to another profile first. That way you don't stomp on your current cal and have to redo it. Switching profiles is easy with the remote using AV Adjust/MCACC.
thumpermike likes this.

Always changing
post #1978 of 1989 Old 06-26-2019, 02:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hicks View Post
Hello. Can any owners of an LX901 verify if the unit can accept 11.1 discrete analog input?
Nope. You need to send it all digitally over HDMI.

You should be able to route the audio out through a HDMI port on the computer.
post #1979 of 1989 Old 06-27-2019, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Nope. You need to send it all digitally over HDMI.

You should be able to route the audio out through a HDMI port on the computer.

Agreed. The assignable inputs are only stereo.
post #1980 of 1989 Old 06-27-2019, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDTV1080P24 View Post
In the ideal world a 2019 flagship Pioneer A/V receiver should offer 13.2 channels, HDMI 2.1 with HDCP 2.3 copy protection, HDR10+ pass through, Auro 3D, HD radio, and IMAX enhanced certification.

You're forgetting XLR pre-outs for the L+R channels and DIRAC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
590 , 7.1.4 , atmos , av receivers , jbl studio , Pioneer , pioneer receiver , pioneer sc-lx801 , receiver , sc lx 801 , sc lx 901

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page