Owner's Thread for Pioneer SC-LX701 / SC-801 / SC-LX901 Receviers - Page 78 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1681Likes

post #2311 of 2339 Old 05-06-2020, 02:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Hello!

I am new to Home Theater set ups. I own a Pioneer Elite LX-701 and was wondering if anyone could educate me on the subject of if all 9.2 channels are technically the same. The reason I ask is I am currently running a 5.1.4 set up but want to bi-amp my 2 Fronts and Center channel without adding an additional amp at present. It has been brought to my attention I can use the 2 extra surround channels to bi amp my 2 Fronts. That would fill all channels, leaving no room for me to bi-amp the Center (without additional equipment). So my real bottom line inquiry is....can I use one of the height channels to bi-amp my center channel? (I know by doing this, I would be sacrificing my rear height speakers, rendering it a 5.1.2 set up.). Is what I want to do even possible with the 701 both physically and in the onscreen set up and will I notice any decrease in power/quality to the center channel by using the 2nd height terminals for it? Thank you very much, in advance, for sharing your expertise and assisting me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 2339 Old 05-06-2020, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by cup4sharks View Post
Hello!

I am new to Home Theater set ups. I own a Pioneer Elite LX-701 and was wondering if anyone could educate me on the subject of if all 9.2 channels are technically the same. The reason I ask is I am currently running a 5.1.4 set up but want to bi-amp my 2 Fronts and Center channel without adding an additional amp at present. It has been brought to my attention I can use the 2 extra surround channels to bi amp my 2 Fronts. That would fill all channels, leaving no room for me to bi-amp the Center (without additional equipment). So my real bottom line inquiry is....can I use one of the height channels to bi-amp my center channel? (I know by doing this, I would be sacrificing my rear height speakers, rendering it a 5.1.2 set up.). Is what I want to do even possible with the 701 both physically and in the onscreen set up and will I notice any decrease in power/quality to the center channel by using the 2nd height terminals for it? Thank you very much, in advance, for sharing your expertise and assisting me.
If you're running 5.1.4 you are using all channels of onboard amplification on the 701. It is an 11.2-ch processor (7.2.4) but it only has 9 amp channels. The 701 has 11 speaker terminals but only 9 amp channels.

So you do not have 2 extra surround channels available to bi-amp anything, unfortunately.

Without adding any external amps, the 701 can do 5.1.4 as you currently are, or 7.1.2, or 5.1 with the LCR bi-amped.

Page 9 lists the speaker setups supported. Page 11 shows details on bi-amping. https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com...SN29402400.pdf

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
post #2313 of 2339 Old 05-07-2020, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
I have the LX901
Lately I've been having the problem that sometimes there is no sound when I turn it on
Then I have to turn it off and on again
What can that be?
It is three months out of warranty (but of course)
My LX901 appears to be broken
First I reset it, and then I bought a new optical HDMI cable (as I thought maybe the cable was the problem)
Nothing works
Only option is to leave it on
Easy enough... but I hate the idea of leaving stuff turned on 24/7
I would appreciate any tips or advice

Last edited by jake51; 05-07-2020 at 06:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2314 of 2339 Old 05-07-2020, 09:32 PM

So you do not have 2 extra surround channels available to bi-amp anything, unfortunately.

Without adding any external amps, the 701 can do 5.1.4 as you currently are, or 7.1.2, or 5.1 with the LCR bi-amped.

Page 9 lists the speaker setups supported. Page 11 shows details on bi-amping. [
Thank you, James! That was incredibly helpful. I really appreciate it.

So, it appears I am very limited. Do you have any suggestions about an external power amplifier that I could purchase which would allow bi-amping my 2 Fronts and 1 Center in a 5.1.4 set up? I would then use the LX-701 as a processor and also run the 2 surrounds (biamped) through it since it appears to be capable of that, along with the 2 height channels.

Does that strategy sound like an effective and efficient way to accomplish my goal? If so, I am still at a loss as to if there are 6+ channel powerful amps that would allow bi-amping. Do I need a special type/brand/model of amp? Again, I am a newbie, but my research looks like bi-amping on all models of amplifiers is not always possible or recommended.

Thank you again!
post #2315 of 2339 Old 05-07-2020, 09:44 PM

Best Power Amps to use with AVR Pioneer SC-LX-701 for bi-amping specificially?

My goal is to have a 5.1.4 set up where the 5 main speakers are all bi-amped. An awesome member of this group named James brought to my attention that I cannot do this with my Pioneer LX-701 alone, since there are not nearly enough amplified channels.

So I am now wondering if I can accomplish this goal by purchasing a multi-channel power amp where I would use it exclusively for the 2 Fronts and Center, all bi-amped. 6 channels, right? I would then run the 2 surrounds (bi-amped) through the LX-701, along with the 2 height channels.

Even before knowing if this would work, I started to look at power amplifiers and the comments associated with them and now think I am realizing I can't bi-amp from all power amplifiers? Is that correct? If so, is there something I should be looking for in the specs to know if it can be done? I was hoping to avoid the big brands and the $ 3000 cost, but I did notice that the Yamaha MX-5200 has a feature called "Bi-Amping Channel selector". I couldn't find anything similar on any other mutli-channel power amplifiers.

Any help anyone can lend here, would be really appreciated. As a newbie, I am thoroughly confused.

Thank you, in advance.
post #2316 of 2339 Old 05-08-2020, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake51 View Post
My LX901 appears to be broken
First I reset it, and then I bought a new optical HDMI cable (as I thought maybe the cable was the problem)
Nothing works
Only option is to leave it on
Easy enough... but I hate the idea of leaving stuff turned on 24/7
I would appreciate any tips or advice

I know it's frustrating. When this happens to me, I unplug both the receiver and the television and wait a few seconds then plug them both back in. This fixes it every time. It used to happen at least once a day to me, however over the last week it has only happened once. Fingers crossed that it will continue working properly. Try unplugging and replugging both the avr and tv. That should work for you.

TV: LG C9 65" OLED - AVR: Pioneer SC-LX801 5.2 - Mains: Definitive Technology BP-7001SC*2 - Surrounds: Definitive Technology PM1000*2 - Center-Definitive Technology C/L/R 3000, HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP*2
post #2317 of 2339 Old 05-08-2020, 05:29 AM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 58
What is your need for bi-amping?

If its just because you want more power per speaker (more spl) Why not just buy an affordable power amp like the monoprice monolith 7x 200w? It will produce enough power where you won't need to bi-amp.
It will also take a lot of stress of the reciever and allow you to have have a 7.2 4 setup if you want.

I have an 801 with a 7 channel amp and run a 7.4.4 setup. I have enough power l don't need to bi-amp
bcurtis53 likes this.
post #2318 of 2339 Old 05-09-2020, 12:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am looking at amps to replace my ailing VSX-1121. Left over SC-LX701 are at a good price right now. My set up is pretty basic, so I can’t see any real downside to the 701 vs the newer 704. Am I missing something or is the 701 still a good option? Thanks.

Jon
post #2319 of 2339 Old 05-09-2020, 12:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by DblDeuces222 View Post
I am looking at amps to replace my ailing VSX-1121. Left over SC-LX701 are at a good price right now. My set up is pretty basic, so I can’t see any real downside to the 701 vs the newer 704. Am I missing something or is the 701 still a good option? Thanks.

Jon
I replaced a Pioneer SC25 with the LX701 and find it brighter. Once calibrated properly to your preference I believe its a good option.
post #2320 of 2339 Old 05-10-2020, 02:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Pioneer SC-LX901 and LG OLED C7V HDMI ARC ISSUE

Hi everyone, I am a new member to this community and also to the Pioneer family as I have had for a trusty receiver... wait for it a 15 year old Yamaha Rx-V650. It had to go due to missing Atmos and multimedia connections options etc. My current setup is 7.1 and I will upgrading to the 7.1.4 setup very soon. I am very impressed with the 901, especially when it comes to the openness of the sound-stage and impact of sound during movie playback (John Wick 3... really excellent sound projection during the gun fights). I typically have a usage of 60/40 (music/ movies) where for music I am using mainly the Direct or Pure-direct for listening (Oppo203 source). Here I believe the Yamaha due to it's B type amp had a bit more of emphasis, it seems as though the Yamaha has a more solid "ground", I can't really explain it But I am very impressed with the sound-stage and instrument placement form the Pioneer, really opens the music (Norah Jone's voice for instance really shines on this receiver), I do not know if it is due to the fact that's it's a refined edition unit or not, but overall the music quality is top notch.

Onto my issue/ problem: I have a LG OLED, model C7V that no matter how I set it up with regards to HDMI ARC (Auto, PCM, Simplink on/ Simplink off) I can not getting any sound to the Pioneer at all. I have set the receiver to CEC and everything is connected as should (Main on receiver and HDMI 2 on TV). This problem is valid for all content on the TV including the build in apps like Netflix, HBO etc. The work around is having an additional cable (Toslink) to the audio input on the receiver.

Anyone with similar issue with their LG HDMI ARC setup, please share your thought.
post #2321 of 2339 Old 05-10-2020, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Bernardo View Post
Hi everyone, I am a new member to this community and also to the Pioneer family as I have had for a trusty receiver... wait for it a 15 year old Yamaha Rx-V650. It had to go due to missing Atmos and multimedia connections options etc. My current setup is 7.1 and I will upgrading to the 7.1.4 setup very soon. I am very impressed with the 901, especially when it comes to the openness of the sound-stage and impact of sound during movie playback (John Wick 3... really excellent sound projection during the gun fights). I typically have a usage of 60/40 (music/ movies) where for music I am using mainly the Direct or Pure-direct for listening (Oppo203 source). Here I believe the Yamaha due to it's B type amp had a bit more of emphasis, it seems as though the Yamaha has a more solid "ground", I can't really explain it But I am very impressed with the sound-stage and instrument placement form the Pioneer, really opens the music (Norah Jone's voice for instance really shines on this receiver), I do not know if it is due to the fact that's it's a refined edition unit or not, but overall the music quality is top notch.

Onto my issue/ problem: I have a LG OLED, model C7V that no matter how I set it up with regards to HDMI ARC (Auto, PCM, Simplink on/ Simplink off) I can not getting any sound to the Pioneer at all. I have set the receiver to CEC and everything is connected as should (Main on receiver and HDMI 2 on TV). This problem is valid for all content on the TV including the build in apps like Netflix, HBO etc. The work around is having an additional cable (Toslink) to the audio input on the receiver.

Anyone with similar issue with their LG HDMI ARC setup, please share your thought.
It sounds like you have the connections correct. HDMI2 is the ARC input of that LG TV, and Main/TV1 is the ARC output of the 901.

Have you seen this regarding LG TV settings for ARC? https://www.lg.com/ca_en/support/vid...9054143-others

Also see pages 12 and 23 of the advanced manual for receiver ARC settings - https://intl.pioneer-audiovisual.com...402406_620.pdf

Maybe you've already seen these materials but just making sure. I am not using the ARC function on my 901 so I haven't worked with this first-hand.

James

Long-time AVS reader, finally building a small dedicated room.
McTheatre II Build Thread
post #2322 of 2339 Old 05-10-2020, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sc-lx701 won't show 1080p video from 4k blu-ray to 1080p TV

I have a SC-LX701 receiver, and now I have a 4k TV on order. I bought a 4k Blu-ray player in anticipation of the new TV.
But when I replace my standard Blu-Ray sony with the new LG UBP90, I get no Picture. The tv complains "mode not supported".
I do get video when I connect the UBK90 to my tv. When I did that, I tried to turn off all upscaling from the player. I Also tried to turn off all upscaling on my SC-LX701. But still, no picture.

Last edited by Charlweed; 05-10-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: clipped subject
post #2323 of 2339 Old 05-12-2020, 11:31 AM

I’m wondering what the differences are between the SC-LX801 vs the 701. I’m only seeing a slight increase in power for the 801 and AIR Studios tuning. Is that it, or is there more that distinguishes the 801 vs the 701? Thanks.

Jon
post #2324 of 2339 Old 05-13-2020, 10:53 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
MCACC Mic

Anyone have any idea on how to get a new MCACC mic for the LX701? I've e-mailed the parts department and have not heard back and can't seem to find the APM7008 model mic anywhere online.

Pioneer customer support told me to search on Onkyo's parts website for LX701 which revealed a mic part number:245048A. This looks like the old Onkyo setup mic I had for my TXSR803. This leads me to another question, can I use my old Onkyo setup mic for the MCACC? Reading through this thread and the MCACC thread people say to use the original APM7008.

Zig
post #2325 of 2339 Old 05-13-2020, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I’m wondering what the differences are between the SC-LX801 vs the 701. I’m only seeing a slight increase in power for the 801 and AIR Studios tuning. Is that it, or is there more that distinguishes the 801 vs the 701? Thanks.

Jon

I believe that the 801 has a "3D Space Frame Construction"similar to the 901. From Pioneer:

"The 3D Space Frame Construction is developed to clearly define
the mechanical grounding of the chassis and make the structure
strong enough to support heavy weight. Perfected by repeated
CAE strength analysis and tests, this technology allows each part
to deliver maximum performance. Interference is also reduced by
separating and insulating the power supply, amp, analogue circuit,
digital circuit and video sections from one another."
post #2326 of 2339 Old 05-13-2020, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro Bernardo View Post
I believe that the 801 has a "3D Space Frame Construction"similar to the 901. From Pioneer:

"The 3D Space Frame Construction is developed to clearly define
the mechanical grounding of the chassis and make the structure
strong enough to support heavy weight. Perfected by repeated
CAE strength analysis and tests, this technology allows each part
to deliver maximum performance. Interference is also reduced by
separating and insulating the power supply, amp, analogue circuit,
digital circuit and video sections from one another."

Another differance I found, the 801 has also Separate Design for Analogue Small Signal:

"Dedicated ICs are lavishly used on the circuit in pursuit of ideal
sound. The Op-amp IC for processing small signal is set apart
from the amplifying section to prevent mutual interference. This
allows clear signal to be transmitted to the Direct Power FET.
Additionally, the Rubycon chip film capacitor MU 25p further
reduces the influence of residue noise from the high power
section"
post #2327 of 2339 Old 05-14-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlweed View Post
I have a SC-LX701 receiver, and now I have a 4k TV on order. I bought a 4k Blu-ray player in anticipation of the new TV.
But when I replace my standard Blu-Ray sony with the new LG UBP90, I get no Picture. The tv complains "mode not supported".
I do get video when I connect the UBK90 to my tv. When I did that, I tried to turn off all upscaling from the player. I Also tried to turn off all upscaling on my SC-LX701. But still, no picture.
Problem is no longer observable after I upgraded my tv to a $4500 OLED77C9AUB. I'm not fully satisfied, because it was a fault in my SC-LX701 receiver, that developed over time, and is not actually fixed.
Plus, it has a serious, different video issue with my new 4k TV. The picture just drops out for seconds, then re-appears.
post #2328 of 2339 Old 05-16-2020, 11:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Problem is no longer observable after I upgraded my tv to a $4500 OLED77C9AUB. I'm not fully satisfied, because it was a fault in my SC-LX701 receiver, that developed over time, and is not actually fixed.
Plus, it has a serious, different video issue with my new 4k TV. The picture just drops out for seconds, then re-appears.
was your prior tv a 1080p or early 4k without hdcp 2.2? Also are you using certified 18gbps hdmi cables.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #2329 of 2339 Old 05-16-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionxOrb View Post
was your prior tv a 1080p or early 4k without hdcp 2.2? Also are you using certified 18gbps hdmi cables.
Old TV is a Samsung plasma PN50A650T1F, manufactured circa 2008. It's 1080p, Don't know what the hdcp version is.

No certified cables between my receiver and new TV. I'll check prices on Amazon. Need I ensure "18gbps" is a keyword in the description?

Last edited by Charlweed; 05-16-2020 at 01:05 PM.
post #2330 of 2339 Old 05-16-2020, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked: 270
Quote:
Old TV is a Samsung plasma PA50A650, manufactured circa 2008. It's 1080p, Don't know what the hdcp version is.

No certified cables between my receiver and new TV. I'll check prices on Amazon. Need I ensure "18gbps" is a keyword in the description?
The cables need to say certified Premium https://www.hdmi.org/spec/premiumcable

The plasma would have been hdcp 1.4 and I could see some weird issues with a new 4k player on a tv that doesn't support any of it. Also if you are using those old spec hdmi cables, that will definitely cause issues with the much higher datarate used by 4k HDR on your new tv.

2000 watts of power and climbing

-Fred
post #2331 of 2339 Old 05-16-2020, 03:33 PM

I apologize for such a simple question. I’ve read most of this thread, but wasn’t looking for this when I read it and I don’t see it covered in the manual. On my old VSX-1121-k remote, there is a button labeled “MCACC” that can be used to switch between the various MCACC memories. The simplified LX-SC701 remote doesn’t have such a button. With the 701, can you switch between the various MCACC memories? If not, how do you all do it? This button was handy for switching between the different set ups to see which one worked best. Thanks. Jon
post #2332 of 2339 Old 05-16-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 706 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
I apologize for such a simple question. I’ve read most of this thread, but wasn’t looking for this when I read it and I don’t see it covered in the manual. On my old VSX-1121-k remote, there is a button labeled “MCACC” that can be used to switch between the various MCACC memories. The simplified LX-SC701 remote doesn’t have such a button. With the 701, can you switch between the various MCACC memories? If not, how do you all do it? This button was handy for switching between the different set ups to see which one worked best. Thanks. Jon
Use the AV adjust button on the remote to access the MCACC memories
thomasphoenix likes this.
post #2333 of 2339 Old 05-16-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnscg View Post
Use the AV adjust button on the remote to access the MCACC memories
Thanks! I’ll try that when I get it installed.
post #2334 of 2339 Old 05-20-2020, 01:10 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Display info for 901

Hello.I have the Pioneer sc-lx901.My last receiver was the SC-LX88.The 88 displayed the audio info (like Dolby Atmos).The new 901 that I have, only displays the source and volume.It only displays the audio info when I hit the info button.Is there a way that I could set it, so it would display the audio info all the time like the 88 did?Thank you
post #2335 of 2339 Old 05-22-2020, 05:01 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristisabo View Post
Hello.I have the Pioneer sc-lx901.My last receiver was the SC-LX88.The 88 displayed the audio info (like Dolby Atmos).The new 901 that I have, only displays the source and volume.It only displays the audio info when I hit the info button.Is there a way that I could set it, so it would display the audio info all the time like the 88 did?Thank you

You can't have it display the audio format permanently from what I've read. It stays on volume and source until you press info. It will then show the audio format before flipping back to the source.
cristisabo likes this.
post #2336 of 2339 Old 05-23-2020, 10:05 AM

Hi there

I have an issue with my SC-LX901 receiver. It doesn't show any picture, but the sound is ok. Do you know if this is a known issue with this receiver? Thanks.
post #2337 of 2339 Old 05-24-2020, 09:27 AM

I've got a question regarding Surround Back on my SC-LX801. I am bored and wanted to toy with the surround back feature (I currently am set up in 5.1) I have a spare center channel gathering dust and wanted to try running it as a single surround back. When I put it on 6.1 the on-screen shows pairs of fronts, sides, and rears, and omits the center which is obviously not what I want. Have any of you tried to run a single surround rear? If so, how did you connect it? Thanks!

TV: LG C9 65" OLED - AVR: Pioneer SC-LX801 5.2 - Mains: Definitive Technology BP-7001SC*2 - Surrounds: Definitive Technology PM1000*2 - Center-Definitive Technology C/L/R 3000, HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP*2
post #2338 of 2339 Old 05-24-2020, 03:14 PM

Nvm. I realized that MCCAC won’t let me do it. It wouldn’t let me beyond the speaker check until I added a second rear surround. I hooked up one of the bookshelf speakers from the living room just to be able to run 7.1. I played it with a few of my favs (Blade Runner 2049, The Mandalorian, and Interstellar). I know it was a small sample size but I didn’t feel like I was missing anything with my 5.1 setup. I think I’ll stay where I am for now. I’d like to try out atmos eventually.
post #2339 of 2339 Old 05-25-2020, 06:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2741 Post(s)
Liked: 1726
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcurtis53 View Post
Nvm. I realized that MCCAC won’️t let me do it. It wouldn’️t let me beyond the speaker check until I added a second rear surround. I hooked up one of the bookshelf speakers from the living room just to be able to run 7.1. I played it with a few of my favs (Blade Runner 2049, The Mandalorian, and Interstellar). I know it was a small sample size but I didn’️t feel like I was missing anything with my 5.1 setup. I think I’️ll stay where I am for now. I’️d like to try out atmos eventually.
Why not just run cables from both rear surround outputs to the single speaker?
I have done that with my single sub and it works great.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up."
Stephen Hawking. ~~~ "Be water my friend." Bruce Lee.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
5.1.4 , 590 , 7.1.4 , 701 , atmos , av receivers , jbl studio , Pioneer , pioneer receiver , pioneer sc-lx801 , receiver , sc lx 801 , sc lx 901

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page