Hdmi through not just through? Help... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 07-31-2016, 04:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Pioneer Vsx - Hdmi through not just through? Help...

Hi, I am new to this forum and just entering into the world of surround sound. Hopefully someone can help med with a question.

We have a Pioneer VSX-923-K (European) with a 7.1 setup and a projector for film watching. This works great. When we watch TV we use an old Yamaha ysp-3000 for sound output. It lacks the latest surround codecs, but works well enough.

When I connect our AppleTV directly to the Yamaha, and play a Netflix movie with Dolby surround, The Yamaha lights up and shows all 5.1 channels in the display. But when I run the AppleTV signal through the Pioneer (in HDMI THROUGH mode) it only shows L and R in the display. (Netflix series: Stranger Things.)

Is the Pioneer doing something to the signal? Is there something more I can turn off? Can I make the signal more "direct" through the Pioneer?

The same thing happens if I play a movie on our MacMini. If connected directly to the Yamaha ysp-3000, surround lights up. All 5.1 channels are recognized.

If sent through the Pioneer, only L and R lights up. I also lose the center voice. Isn't hdmi through mode just... through?

I understand the movie played from the MacMini probably has a different codec or surround setup than the Netflix series, since I also lose center voice, but the problem is the same. Why does the Yamaha Ysp-3000 get a different signal with hdmi mode through on?

If anyone could explain this or point me in the right direction to figure out why, I would be verry happy

At the moment I'm thinking there is a setting that changes the surround signal to something the Ysp-3000 does not recognize even though hdmi through is on.

Thank you
Paul, Norway

Last edited by Palulf; 08-06-2016 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2016, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

I see that there are other people with "hdmi through" related questions in here. Some people suggest to look for settings that change the signal.

I have done that, but will keep looking
post #3 of 11 Old 08-02-2016, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

DDProLogic...

The old Yamaha support DDProLogic2

Maybe the Pioneer outputs the DDProLogic signal in a newer version the Ysp-3000 can't understand?

Yes, I am talking to myself...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-02-2016, 03:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 3292 Post(s)
Liked: 2736
Do you have your Pioneer set to auto surround? Can you change it to surround or pro logic manually?
My input signal only shows as L/R input then my receiver decodes it Dolby surround. Your Pioneer has all the latest tech so it should have no problem decoding.

Kef LS50,Q200C, Q100, SVS SB-2000, Denon AVR-X3400H, NAD 216, Panasonic 50" Plasma, Xbox One.
Bedroom: JBL Loft 50 , Loft 20, Bic F-12, Denon AVR-S710W, PS3, 32" Insigna LED.
post #5 of 11 Old 08-03-2016, 02:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hi, and thank you for answering

I thought about that, but since the Pioneer is set to "hdmi through", I am cut of from changing anything.

I could try changing it in advance and then turn on "hdmi through".
I will try that when I get home.

Paul
post #6 of 11 Old 08-04-2016, 01:19 AM - Thread Starter

I set the Pioneer to Direct and Pure Direct, but it changes again when hdmi through is on.

Maybe this is the way it is when you have old equipment connected to something newer. It is just strange it is not "pure direct" when you are not allowed to change any settings using hdmi through. But I am not giving up yet

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 11 Old 08-04-2016, 10:44 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 224 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8964 Post(s)
Liked: 6134
Netflilx has an audio setting option on the menu where you select "play movie."

Scroll down and change it from Stereo to Surround.

Netflix does not default to surround.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-04-2016, 11:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked: 1762
You have run MCACC and calibrated? Just curious as to why you need HDMI through, so that you can have audio put out from the TV while the receiver is in stand by mode? It makes sense to check the audio out from the Netflix, as Direct will pass audio without any processing, producing sources according to the number of channels in the signal. I had a Pioneer 1018, but I think it had HDMI Control ON and OFF, not HDMI Through. Have you contacted Pioneer on this?
post #9 of 11 Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

The Pioneer is used in a 7.1 setup when we watch movies on the "big" screen (projector). For everyday TV watching it is switched to "hdmi through" disabling the amp. only hdmi. Signal is then run through an old Yamaha Ysp-3000 to our TV. No audio is put out from the TV. The Pioneer is calibrated for the 7.1 setup if that was what you asked.

Problem is... AppleTV/MacMini connected directly to the Yamaha Ysp-3000 by hdmi, gives "surround sound" on the Yamaha. Connected via the Pioneer Vsx-923-K with "hdmi through" on, gives no "surround" on the Yamaha. Same source and codecs the old Yamaha understands.

I did not know there was a surround on/off button in Netflix. I will look for it, but I think I get surround anyways. The Yamaha lights up and puts out 5.1 when connected directly.

I have written Pioneer.

Thank you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #10 of 11 Old 08-05-2016, 02:38 PM - Thread Starter

Ok...

Netflix source: Big Hero 6
Direct connect hdmi to Yamaha Ymp-3000 = 5.1 surround DD
From PC/AppleTV

Connect via Pioneer Vsx-923-K (European) to Yamaha Ysp-3000 = Stereo
From PC/AppleTV
Using "HDMI Through" to get audio out through hdmi to Yamaha.

Connect to Pioneer Vsx-923-K (European) to 7.1 surround speakers = 5.1 surround DD
From PC/AppleTV
Using "HDMI Amp" to send signal to connected speakers.
Pioneer list surround signal as: DDdigital
The manual states that when you are listening to a source, correct decoding is auto detected.

To put audio through hdmi, you have to set the Pioneer to "HDMI Through" mode.
But in this mode you are prohibited from changing Auto/Direct streaming.
No hdmi audio out when in "Amp" mode.

If you change to Pioneers "Direct" before setting "HDMI Through", there is still no surround detection on the Yamaha.

If I connect the AppleTV to the Pioneer, but use an optical cable for audio = 5.1 surround DD
Hurray!

--------------------------------

Not sure if this can be fixed...
Alternative is to use an optical switch for AppleTV/MacMini/TVTuner, but that takes away a bit of the joy in having a receiver.

It could be the Yamaha is just old, but I don't have another brand to test with so there I am...

Last edited by Palulf; 08-05-2016 at 02:43 PM.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-06-2016, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Solution...

I keep the Pioneer in "Amp" mode. Audio to speakers only.

Run audio from AppleTV(3) through optical to Yamaha
Run audio from TVtuner through optical to Yamaha
This to get audio out even if the Pioneer cuts audio from hdmi when in "Amp" mode.

Finally...
Run audio/video hdmi from MacMini through a hdmi splitter to Pioneer and Yamaha (aux2) to get 5.1 from Yamaha.
Mac Mini optical is only stereo.

All this when watching ordinary TV.
Using a Logitech Harmony to make switching simpler.

Best I could come up with unless someone knows how to fix the Pioneer

Last edited by Palulf; 08-07-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
direct , hdmi through , pioneer vsx 923 k , surround , yamaha ysp 3000

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page