Marantz SR7010 & Audyssey Question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie

post #1 of 7 Old 08-05-2016, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1321 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Marantz SR7010 & Audyssey Question

I just setup my new SR7010 and ran Audyssey on it and have some questions:

1. Audyssey set my front speakers to large, should I still set them back to small?

2. Audyssey set my crossover to full band on the fronts and 40Hz on the rears. The LFE for the subs setting is at 120Hz. Should I be adjusting these from there?
2a. when I make the fronts small, the crossover changes to 40hz. I have two SVS PB12-Plus subs in the room (big room). Shouldn't it be higher than 40Hz (assuming I am to set fronts to small setting)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-05-2016, 04:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked: 2517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler27 View Post
I just setup my new SR7010 and ran Audyssey on it and have some questions:
Cool.

[quote/]1. Audyssey set my front speakers to large, should I still set them back to small?[/quote]

Yes you should.

[quote/]2. Audyssey set my crossover to full band on the fronts and 40Hz on the rears. The LFE for the subs setting is at 120Hz. Should I be adjusting these from there?[/quote]

The LFE you leave at 120HZ and I leave my Audyssey crossover settings alone usually as it's basing them(hopefully) on the speakers in room response but if you do change them only raise the crossover don't lower it as that any lower crossover point lacks any of Audyssey filters.

[quote/]2a. when I make the fronts small, the crossover changes to 40hz. I have two SVS PB12-Plus subs in the room (big room). Shouldn't it be higher than 40Hz (assuming I am to set fronts to small setting)?[/quote]

What crossover changes? The sub usually sets to 80 HZ and that's where I'd start with it. Not sure what exactly is changing for you but like I said that's where I'd start. My Audyssey is just the basic universal older version so nothing else changes in mine when I make my fronts small again after rerunning Audyssey.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html

Last edited by Madmax67; 08-05-2016 at 04:45 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-06-2016, 03:10 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1874 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmax67 View Post
Cool.

Quote:
2a. when I make the fronts small, the crossover changes to 40hz. I have two SVS PB12-Plus subs in the room (big room). Shouldn't it be higher than 40Hz (assuming I am to set fronts to small setting)?
What crossover changes? The sub usually sets to 80 HZ and that's where I'd start with it. Not sure what exactly is changing for you but like I said that's where I'd start. My Audyssey is just the basic universal older version so nothing else changes in mine when I make my fronts small again after rerunning Audyssey.
What he is saying is, when he manually changes the Front speakers to "small" from "Large" (that was set by Audyssey), the crossover for Front changes to "40Hz" from "Full Band" (that was when speaker was "Large").
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-06-2016, 03:23 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaranddeeman View Post
What he is saying is, when he manually changes the Front speakers to "small" from "Large" (that was set by Audyssey)
That part I get ( Audyssey sets that if a speaker's -3dB point is 50 Hz. or lower)

[quote/]the crossover for Front changes to "40Hz" from "Full Band" (that was when speaker was "Large").[/quote]

I guess I do now know why it does it I just have never heard that it did that before so thanks for explaining it. I'd still bump that up to 60 or 80 Hz. I just have a universal crossover on my older version of Audyssey and it stays at 80 Hz large or small but with variable crossovers it makes that change.

Chane A5 towers,Chane A2.4 center,RBH bipole side surrounds, Rythmik LV12R x2,Denon X4300H, Outlaw 5000,Front B speakers: Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 books. https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...d-part-ii.html
post #5 of 7 Old 08-07-2016, 02:39 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22608 Post(s)
Liked: 12301
Quote:
That part I get ( Audyssey sets that if a speaker's -3dB point is 50 Hz. or lower)

the crossover for Front changes to "40Hz" from "Full Band" (that was when speaker was "Large").

I guess I do now know why it does it I just have never heard that it did that before so thanks for explaining it. I'd still bump that up to 60 or 80 Hz. I just have a universal crossover on my older version of Audyssey and it stays at 80 Hz large or small but with variable crossovers it makes that change.
If a speaker gets set to LARGE, the AVR will pass the full frequency signal (20Hz - 20KHz) to that speaker. If you then change the speaker to SMALL, the crossover starts with the lowest possible setting which is 40Hz, however, as explained, most will want to raise this to 60Hz or 80Hz to not only take some of the load off the AVR but the sub is generally far more capable of handling the lower frequencies than a speaker.

Last edited by jdsmoothie; 08-07-2016 at 07:54 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-07-2016, 03:04 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
If a speaker gets set to LARGE, the AVR will pass the full frequency signal (20Hz - 20KHz) to that speaker. If you then change the speaker to SMALL, the crossover starts with the lowest possible setting which is 40Hz, however, as explained, most will want to raise this to 60Hz or 80Hz to not only take some of the load off the AVR but the sub is generally far more capable of handling the lower frequencies than a speaker.
Got it. Yeah, like I said my receiver doesn't do that ( universal crossover settings) but I understand the BIG/SMALL part but because I don't have a newer receiver I was unaware that setting it back to small affected the crossover on the newer receivers. Makes sense. I wish they would stop doing that and just default them all to small like they should be and make people have to choose large instead but oh well. Keeps the forums busier this way.😉

EDIT: sending you some business by the way.

Last edited by Madmax67; 08-07-2016 at 03:09 AM.
post #7 of 7 Old 08-07-2016, 07:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 743 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22608 Post(s)
Liked: 12301
Quote:
Got it. Yeah, like I said my receiver doesn't do that ( universal crossover settings) but I understand the BIG/SMALL part but because I don't have a newer receiver I was unaware that setting it back to small affected the crossover on the newer receivers. Makes sense. I wish they would stop doing that and just default them all to small like they should be and make people have to choose large instead but oh well. Keeps the forums busier this way.😉

EDIT: sending you some business by the way.
1. The Audyssey co-founder has wanted this for years as well.
2. The business and I both thank you.
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page