Yamaha RX a2050 LipSync issue Solved - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Hotchips

post #1 of 9 Old 08-25-2016, 07:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Thumbs up Yamaha RX a2050 LipSync issue Solved

For the last few months I have been plagued by a lip sync (or lipsync) issue with any AV source connected to my Yamaha RX A2050 receiver. The audio lagged the video by approx 1/3 second. Moreover, the lipsync option in Setup/Sound was greyed out and so not available to adjust the synchronisation. After weeks of investigation, including several calls to/from Yamaha Australia, Lydia from YA called me this morning to check if I use the MusicCast app on my iPhone. I do and it turns out that there is an Audio Delay option under room settings, which if set to audio sync, as opposed to lip sync, under the Receiver 'room' settings will override the lipsync function for any AV input source to the receiver; even when the app is not running. Furthermore, once set in the MusicCast app, it cannot be unset by anything but the app. Setting the Audio Delay option back to lip sync fixes the problem immediately and makes the lipsync option in the receiver setup/sound settings available again, although I did not need to use it once the app setting was changed.

It may be that this is a new function for the MusicCast app introduced in a recent firmware update and it may be the Audio Delay is set to audio sync instead of lip sync by default to improve the MusicCast experience or I may have accidentally set it myself. Yamaha Australia are contacting Japan to query this and making note of the problem and its solution for future reference.

Anyway, a big THANKS to Lydia from Yamaha Australia Tech Support for following up on this issue over several weeks and solving it for me.
ataneruo and Audio Head SF,WI like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-26-2016, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Interesting... I wonder if they'll update the receiver firmware to give you a 'Audio synch / lip synch' option in the AVR menus?
It could be annoying if one user wanted the audio synched for multiple speakers in one room... and another person wanted the lips to be in-synch for movie watching?
Of course, scene selection on the AVR could be used to fix the latter.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-23-2017, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you!

Thank you so much for this information. I just got MusicCast speakers (which are great, BTW), but the sync issues began.

You saved me a lot of time had stress.

Good karma coming your way.

Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 01-02-2018, 07:54 AM

Liked: 0
Thank you

Many thanks. You have saved me a lot of time and substantially added to the enjoyment I get from my Yamaha (a RX-V483 by the way).

I had figured out that using Direct mode solved the lipsync problem, that that is a rather restrictive solution. What a joy it is to see sound and vision convincingly in sync. Thanks again (and to Lydia; a dedicated and competent employee is a great asset).
post #5 of 9 Old 01-02-2018, 08:35 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I suspect there is some bugginess in the Musiccast sync settings. I have 4 music cast devices and use my 3060 as the master often to run the other devices. I have never changed the sync, but it sometimes ends up on the lip sync setting anyway.

The default sync is audio which keeps all the devices in sync for music, but if you are watching video it will be out of sync.

Be sure to go to the Musiccast app and uncheck all the connected devices and hit OK before going back to video on your AVR.
That puts everything back to normal for me.
post #6 of 9 Old 02-18-2018, 09:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am so glad I found this post. I suffered the same issue as new MusicCast user. I hope my kitchen and living room stay in sync when set to LipSync instead of audiosync.....
post #7 of 9 Old 04-21-2018, 10:26 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had the same problem with my Yamaha TSR-7810 but in my case I had not messed with music casting.

Turns out what was causing the delay in audio was that I had enabled the "Object Decode Mode", I don't have an Atmos setup, so don't know if those with it will not be affected by using that option.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-23-2018, 07:12 AM

I had to dig up my long lost AVSForum login to thank you for this post. I have been working with my hardware suppliers trying to figure out how all of a sudden my sync was so off. Turns out I didn't realize that Music Cast could control my sync and I thought it was coming from my Atlona switches. I am so relieved!!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-25-2019, 05:58 AM

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotchips View Post
For the last few months I have been plagued by a lip sync (or lipsync) issue with any AV source connected to my Yamaha RX A2050 receiver. The audio lagged the video by approx 1/3 second. Moreover, the lipsync option in Setup/Sound was greyed out and so not available to adjust the synchronisation. After weeks of investigation, including several calls to/from Yamaha Australia, Lydia from YA called me this morning to check if I use the MusicCast app on my iPhone. I do and it turns out that there is an Audio Delay option under room settings, which if set to audio sync, as opposed to lip sync, under the Receiver 'room' settings will override the lipsync function for any AV input source to the receiver; even when the app is not running. Furthermore, once set in the MusicCast app, it cannot be unset by anything but the app. Setting the Audio Delay option back to lip sync fixes the problem immediately and makes the lipsync option in the receiver setup/sound settings available again, although I did not need to use it once the app setting was changed.

It may be that this is a new function for the MusicCast app introduced in a recent firmware update and it may be the Audio Delay is set to audio sync instead of lip sync by default to improve the MusicCast experience or I may have accidentally set it myself. Yamaha Australia are contacting Japan to query this and making note of the problem and its solution for future reference.

Anyway, a big THANKS to Lydia from Yamaha Australia Tech Support for following up on this issue over several weeks and solving it for me.
Bump on a really old thread... but just want to say thank you! Had I not found this I would likely still be banging my head against a wall.

I had lip sync issues for quite sometime - turns out ever since I introduced a wireless MusicCast speaker into my setup. Once I went into the MusicCast app and changed the settings around all is well! I was getting ready to send my AVR to Yamaha to figure it out. Lol

Thanks again for sharing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
lip sync , lipsync

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page