understanding s-sound receiver... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-27-2016, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 10
understanding s-sound receiver...

Hi gang, so I just picked up an older surround sound receiver. I was curious to know why a receiver like this (more for sound), has multiple video inputs as well? My tv pas quite a few inputs, so do I need to go through re eiver for video signal? Thanks.fab
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-29-2016, 10:29 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
Hi gang, so I just picked up an older surround sound receiver. I was curious to know why a receiver like this (more for sound), has multiple video inputs as well? My tv pas quite a few inputs, so do I need to go through re eiver for video signal? Thanks.fab
You could connect everything to your TV and then audio out to the receiver, which is probably where you're thinking. The limitation of this is that the digital optical connection coming out of your TV is limited to compressed 5.1 sound, it can't do 7.1 or higher. It also can't even do lossless 5.1 surround like Dolby TrueHD or DTS MasterAudio.

If you connect everything to your receiver via HDMI the the receiver can decode a lot more sound formats. It will then pass the video out via one HDMI to your TV. In this setup you don't use the extra HDMI ports on your TV.

I prefer the receiver first scenario, easier to make the two cables to the TV neater, power and one HDMI.

If your TV is the source, meaning you're watching broadcast TV or a smart TV app, then you can look at HDMI ARC to send the sound generated within the TV back down through the same HDMI cable to the receiver.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 Old 08-29-2016, 10:33 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 220 Post(s)
Quoted: 7386 Post(s)
Liked: 6462
Quote:
Originally Posted by fabchef View Post
I was curious to know why a receiver like this (more for sound), has multiple video inputs as well?
Some people use their receiver as the hub of their system, with all audio and video connections going into the receiver and being switched by the receiver.

Sanjay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-29-2016, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2223 Post(s)
Liked: 1467
You said you picked up an older surround receiver, how old is it?

Afro GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page