Yamaha Reveals R-N402 MusicCast Network Stereo Receiver - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By imagic
  • 2 Post By gregoryperkins

post #1 of 10 Old 08-30-2016, 05:59 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9162 Post(s)
Liked: 16159
Yamaha Reveals R-N402 MusicCast Network Stereo Receiver

We live in a wireless, app-based world that has changed how people search for and consume their entertainment. As a result, numerous audio companies have updated their products with network-connected capabilities. The Yamaha R-N402 network receiver ($450) is the latest offering from the venerable AV brand. It incorporates MusicCast, the company's proprietary, hi-res capable, multi-room, wireless-audio platform.

The new R-N402 network stereo receiver from Yamaha.

The inclusion of MusicCast grants the R-N402 a wide array of wireless, networked, and streaming audio capabilities. On the wireless tip, it connects with Wi-Fi and Apple Airplay, and is capable of both transmitting and receiving Bluetooth. Additionally, multiple MusicCast devices can work together to form a multi-room or whole-home audio system that's easily controlled with the a dedicated iOS or Android app.

Aside from MusicCast's powerful features, the R-N402 appears to be an affordable, solid, and capable piece of hardware. It looks the part of a serious audio device; namely, it sports physical knobs and switches, so you don't need to find your phone to use it. When compared to its competitors' growing selection of compact, networked amps—that typically sell for $500 and output 50 watts per channel—Yamaha's latest receiver costs less, yet offers more power with 100 W/ch of output. Plus, it's a full-featured receiver that includes multiple RCA analog inputs, a digital-coax input, a digital-optical input, USB, Ethernet, and an AM/FM radio tuner.

Support for hi-res audio is a strength for the R-N402. It handles DSD 5.6 MHz, FLAC, WAV, and AIFF at up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution, and Apple Lossless at up to 24-bit/96kHz resolution. Unfortunately, what it does not have is a subwoofer output, or any sort of DSP; in terms of the hardware, it is a classic no-nonsense stereo receiver. Anyone craving bass management, room EQ, and HDMI inputs in a MusicCast device might wish to consider the identically-priced RX-V481 AV receiver instead.

Fans of full-sized cans will appreciate the R-N402's inclusion of a 1/4" headphone jack, while wireless headphone wearers can utilize MusicCast's ability to transmit audio with Bluetooth. A dot-matrix display conveys useful information to listeners and compliments the hands-on operation afforded by the physical buttons and dials.

The R-N402 will be available later this month.
freeman4 and rmjb like this.

Last edited by imagic; 08-30-2016 at 01:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 08-30-2016, 06:18 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
This looks to have the same amp section as the R-S20x and R-N301 stereo receivers.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 10 Old 08-30-2016, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Preamp out?

Does this unit have a stereo preamp out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 08-31-2016, 03:51 AM - Thread Starter
Mark Henninger

Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9162 Post(s)
Liked: 16159
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvlv View Post
Does this unit have a stereo preamp out?
No, it does not. Well, it does have a record-out actually.

Mark Henninger
Editor, AVS Forum
post #5 of 10 Old 09-01-2016, 11:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked: 260
So for the same money, you can get the 5.1 RX-V481 which has musicast and hdmi. I don't get this product, no sub out?
post #6 of 10 Old 09-01-2016, 03:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
So for the same money, you can get the 5.1 RX-V481 which has musicast and hdmi. I don't get this product, no sub out?
Exactly. If this is filling the niche of a wireless receiver, why bother with RCA? There are dedicated stereo receivers for individuals who run a 2.0 or 2.1 setup with traditional gear.

This product would seem better suited with its "network" capabilities having a couple of HDMI, forgoing the RCA, and having a sub out. I can see someone using this with their PC to play Pandora, Spotify....etc. I also see people hooking up a Roku or similar box to it.

I like Ice Cream!
post #7 of 10 Old 09-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
"compliments"? How nice of it!
post #8 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 08:12 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
As I attempt to spec out a whole-home audio solution, this is the exact crossroad I'm facing. These little barebones stereo units should be like $149 or $199. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you get lucky with a sale, you can even grab a 681 for that price, which supports two zones.
post #9 of 10 Old 09-06-2016, 09:38 AM

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Dedicated 2 channel systems supposedly have "better components". But it looks like the amp section of the RX-V481 is better than the R-N402.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
post #10 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
It should have HDMI to be able to do Hi-Rez audio but it doesn't really need a sub out because it has audio outputs. As long as your sub is powered and has a crossover that's all one needs. If not you can use the speaker B outs for an unpowered sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page