Official Marantz AV7703 Thread - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 983Likes

post #601 of 1847 Old 12-31-2016, 06:27 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardyc View Post
The upmixer will only work with 2 channel bitstream. The movie London has fallen has a DTS X soundtrack, the 7703 can’t use this soundtrack to upmix it to DSU, I have to select DTS 2 channel to get DSU. Is this the correct behavior?
I noticed similar upmix behavior on my Dish Hopper, with 5.1 Dolby Digital output selected on the Hopper, the 7703 DSU only receives the 2 channel bitstream (not 5.1).

Is this normal for DSU?

KK20
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1847 Old 01-01-2017, 09:08 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked: 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by KK20 View Post
I noticed similar upmix behavior on my Dish Hopper, with 5.1 Dolby Digital output selected on the Hopper, the 7703 DSU only receives the 2 channel bitstream (not 5.1).

Is this normal for DSU?
Don't forget that many (most?) cable stations provide only 2.0 audio, not 5.1 surround sound. Unless you explicitly enable upmixing in the Hopper itself, the pre/pro will report that it's receiving 2.0 audio from those stations.

Other annoyances:

Some stations provide a stereo signal but use 5.1 encoding with silent center and surround speaker channels. The upmixer in the pre/pro can't fix that.
Some stations provide a "dual mono" signal with the same audio in both L and R channels, not a stereo signal.
ril850 likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #603 of 1847 Old 01-03-2017, 10:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I hear a difference. In an old thread, I compared the 7009 to the 7702 (and to a denon 7200 and 8802A). Yes, 95% of the circuits are the same between your SR7010 and 7703. Here is the key difference: they simply cannot pay attention to the signal path anywhere near as closely on the receivers. Ask any audio designer about the importance of paying attention to the signal path. As a side note, one of the 8802A's engineers task was to literally move around the boards to reduce coupling. The result was better SQ. Heck, you can spend $2K+ on Furman "balanced power" and power conditioning. Even more $$$'s if you want buy more power supply reserve. I propose that is why power cords do sound different. Quality powercords are nothing more than a low pass filter (LCR circuit) with shielding. They should retail for $50 or less, never $2K. I paid $25. So of course power cords (noise floor) can make a SQ difference. I can appreciate and value a healthy dose of skepticism. So it might be hard to swallow. All I can say is myself and others came away surprised in our preout comparison. I did not expect a SQ difference worthy of a discussion. But I heard one. The 7200 (for instance) preouts sounded a good deal better than the 7010 preouts. The 7702 close to the Denon AVR-7200A.

Look at the weights. The 7011 weights 8 pounds more than the 7703. Is Marantz going to give you 125 watts per channel x 9 of class AB topology for "free" (same retail on both)? When you put in 9 channels of amplification, it should be easy to realize signal path compromises.

As a side note, I personally am still waiting to hear a "better" SQ from balanced over RCA/single ended. So the balanced portion of the 7703 isn't on my personal radar. Of course I am using balanced! I have testosterone running through my veins. It's not a reason for me to assume the 7703 is better than the 7011. In fact, we used RCA outs for all comparisons described above. But in an effort for full disclosure, it sure makes it easier to sell balanced (99% of the customers are male). I want it too.

Economy of scale, 7703 is made in Vietnam (8802A in Japan), the 7703 has a lower BOM, and the all important answer: "because they can". Meaning, Microsoft charges business more for Office. The charge home Office uses more than the student Office addition. Sure, there are feature differences. But Microsoft has price point differences "because they can". Every and all industries do the same.

To stress, the 7703 isn't slumming it. It sounds WONDERFUL. But make no mistake, the 8802A sounds better. That said, no one says it will sound better in your room. If you room sounds bad, you won't hear a difference. If your room sounds at least "good", you should hear a difference. At the same token, don't want to use $2000 tires on a Honda Accord. I'm not making fun of the Accord, I drive one. Don't use an 8802A on a $4K retail speaker set either.

So the answer is "it depends". Some rooms and speakers it is a big deal, other rooms and speakers there is literally no difference in SQ. More often than not, you will hear the differences. I wrote this up a while ago: http://www.soundvideo.com/2015/01/29...s-comparisons/ . Make sure to click on the PowerPoint links.
SteveH,

I'm considering the 7703 and the Yamaha 5100 to replace my Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver, currently used as a pre/pro. Amplification is handled by a 1996 Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5, recently reconditioned by Flannery's Vintage Audio. I am running a 5.1 setup with Pinnacle Classic Gold Aerogels as mains, a Classic Gold Center Channel, and AC800's for surrounds, all manufactured in the late 90's.

http://pinnaclespeakers.com/cgaerogeltower.html
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/cgcenter.html
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/ac800.html

Subwoofers are Velodyne SPL12s with amplification recently refurbished by Velodyne. The room is relatively small (14 x 11 x 6.5) and has a concrete (carpeted) floor.

Would you expect a significant improvement in SQ over the existing Onkyo? Would i be wasting my time and money if I purchased the 8802A over the 7703 or 5100 (thinking about your $2k tires/Honda Accord reference)? The primary focus here is SACD, Two channel and 5.1 Audio.

Lastly, can you burn in the preamp with the amplifier off or without speakers connected? With my wife at home caring for the 2 kids my ability to run for long periods of time is limited.

Thank you for your feedback!

Matt

Last edited by v6viking; 01-03-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1847 Old 01-03-2017, 03:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6viking View Post
SteveH,

I'm considering the 7703 and the Yamaha 5100 to replace my Onkyo TX-NR709 receiver, currently used as a pre/pro. Amplification is handled by a 1996 Sunfire Cinema Grand 200x5, recently reconditioned by Flannery's Vintage Audio. I am running a 5.1 setup with Pinnacle Classic Gold Aerogels as mains, a Classic Gold Center Channel, and AC800's for surrounds, all manufactured in the late 90's.

http://pinnaclespeakers.com/cgaerogeltower.html
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/cgcenter.html
http://pinnaclespeakers.com/ac800.html

Subwoofers are Velodyne SPL12s with amplification recently refurbished by Velodyne. The room is relatively small (14 x 11 x 6.5) and has a concrete (carpeted) floor.

Would you expect a significant improvement in SQ over the existing Onkyo? Would i be wasting my time and money if I purchased the 8802A over the 7703 or 5100 (thinking about your $2k tires/Honda Accord reference)? The primary focus here is SACD, Two channel and 5.1 Audio.

Lastly, can you burn in the preamp with the amplifier off or without speakers connected? With my wife at home caring for the 2 kids my ability to run for long periods of time is limited.

Thank you for your feedback!

Matt
I would not pair the 8802A with your system. Stick with the 7703. Put the extra $$'s towards a new sub or better yet, your kids college fund.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video
post #605 of 1847 Old 01-04-2017, 03:31 AM

Quote:
I would not pair the 8802A with your system. Stick with the 7703. Put the extra $$'s towards a new sub or better yet, your kids college fund.
That's good advice (and what I was hoping to hear as well). Thank you!!
post #606 of 1847 Old 01-04-2017, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
I was interested on an answer of v6viking question at the end of his post, " Lastly, can you burn in the preamp with the amplifier off or without speakers connected?"
Can be burn with the amp off?

Thanks

Samsung 65KS8000FXZA, Roku 4, Marantz AV-7703, Emotiva XPA-5 GEN 3, PSA MTM-210 L/R, PSA MTM-210C, PSA MT-110SR, PSA Dual 15V, OPPO UDP-203, Technics SL-1210 MK5, Denon DL110, Nova Phonomena, APC H15
post #607 of 1847 Old 01-04-2017, 04:35 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1301 Post(s)
Liked: 1973
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNDT View Post
I was interested on an answer of v6viking question at the end of his post, " Lastly, can you burn in the preamp with the amplifier off or without speakers connected?"
Can be burn with the amp off?

Thanks
As a side note, I hear absolutely no "break in" with the preouts of nearly every product I have ever came across. Most recently, I tried an experiment with the preouts of the exceptional sounding Denon 6300h. Like the 7703 comparison, I started with 2, X6300h's from the same batch. On the 6300H "break in": Nothing, nada, zilch.

There are a lot of circuity that are identical between the Denon 6300h and Marantz 7703 (AND the reason why I wanted to compare 2, 6300h's). This highlights what engineering told me on my trip to Japan. Break-in is basically related to the HDAM (discretely build operational amplifier with individual resistors, capacitors, and inductors). More specifically, the capacitors are what shift. The topic is controversial. See http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=751.0 or http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts...urn-break.html and https://www.audio-forums.com/threads...thology.89115/ . I can find you incredibly smart people who are very convincing on both sides of this debate. I let my ears decide and report accordingly.

That all said, you don't need the amp on. If the HDAM's are indeed the circuit that needs exercise, then have the amp on does not help. Also, if "break in" is related to the HDAM, then the volume can be at a super low level. Therefore, I hit "all channels stereo" and let it go and go. I DO leave the amp on and put the volume level at super low levels when I can barely hear what is going on. That way, if a source times out, I can turn it back on. Also, there is absolutely no reason to re-run XT-32 before and after. The frequency response doesn't change a bit with "break in".

"Break in" is also controversial with speakers. People are passionate on both sides of the debate. Again, some brands have ZERO break in (my Revel Performa3's come to mind). Yet my DALI Rubicon 6's took a solid 100 hours. I've heard DALI's "break in" over the past 15 years. When I was in Denmark and talked with the ex-director of engineering of Scanspeak, he said he hears driver break in but cannot "pass in the blind". Don't expect to pass in the blind with preamp breakin either.

But THE most obvious speaker break-in to my ear is the Gallo speakers. Considering they are "crossoverless"(a.k.a. no capacitors), something mechanical is going on too. Read http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...act-or-fiction if you want to read an enjoyable study on speaker break in.
JoeNDT likes this.

Steve (Owner) Sound Video

Last edited by SteveH; 01-04-2017 at 04:58 AM.
post #608 of 1847 Old 01-04-2017, 07:35 AM

Quote:
As a side note, I hear absolutely no "break in" with the preouts of nearly every product I have ever came across. Most recently, I tried an experiment with the preouts of the exceptional sounding Denon 6300h. Like the 7703 comparison, I started with 2, X6300h's from the same batch. On the 6300H "break in": Nothing, nada, zilch.

There are a lot of circuity that are identical between the Denon 6300h and Marantz 7703 (AND the reason why I wanted to compare 2, 6300h's). This highlights what engineering told me on my trip to Japan. Break-in is basically related to the HDAM (discretely build operational amplifier with individual resistors, capacitors, and inductors). More specifically, the capacitors are what shift. The topic is controversial. See http://bottlehead.com/smf/index.php?topic=751.0 or http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/parts...urn-break.html and https://www.audio-forums.com/threads...thology.89115/ . I can find you incredibly smart people who are very convincing on both sides of this debate. I let my ears decide and report accordingly.

That all said, you don't need the amp on. If the HDAM's are indeed the circuit that needs exercise, then have the amp on does not help. Also, if "break in" is related to the HDAM, then the volume can be at a super low level. Therefore, I hit "all channels stereo" and let it go and go. I DO leave the amp on and put the volume level at super low levels when I can barely hear what is going on. That way, if a source times out, I can turn it back on. Also, there is absolutely no reason to re-run XT-32 before and after. The frequency response doesn't change a bit with "break in".

"Break in" is also controversial with speakers. People are passionate on both sides of the debate. Again, some brands have ZERO break in (my Revel Performa3's come to mind). Yet my DALI Rubicon 6's took a solid 100 hours. I've heard DALI's "break in" over the past 15 years. When I was in Denmark and talked with the ex-director of engineering of Scanspeak, he said he hears driver break in but cannot "pass in the blind". Don't expect to pass in the blind with preamp breakin either.

But THE most obvious speaker break-in to my ear is the Gallo speakers. Considering they are "crossoverless"(a.k.a. no capacitors), something mechanical is going on too. Read http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeak...act-or-fiction if you want to read an enjoyable study on speaker break in.
Thank you, Steve. This is very helpful!
post #609 of 1847 Old 01-05-2017, 11:14 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonLover View Post
Great feedback, thank you Tripleb440.
Your Welcome! (Same to the others that said "Thanks"

Marantz AV8805, Marantz ND8006, Emotiva XPA Gen3's, Def Tech 9080X
post #610 of 1847 Old 01-05-2017, 11:19 AM

I never had Dish, but I do have Directv. You can get 5.1 from the Direct TV receivers if the program material is in Dolby 5.1. I have mine hooked from the satellite receiver to the AV7703 via HDMI.

You then have to go in the settings I think under audio somewhere on the direct TV box and tell it to use dolby digital. I am using the HR44, but I know it was on any modern one I have used in the last 5 years or so.

If you have it correct, you will see the display on the AV7703 change to Dolby Digital when receiving a Dolby signal.

post #611 of 1847 Old 01-05-2017, 11:29 AM

For any of you guys/gals that stream music from an AV7703 via a NAS unit, here is a tip or maybe you already know...

When i got this processor, and went to play music from my NAS directly, I would go to "Online Music" select my NAS device, choose "Music" and then "Artist". What I got was a list that was not in any real order whatsoever. The earlier interface would have the Artists in alphabetical order. This is not the case with the new interface, at least what i have noticed.

To get the artists in alphabetical order I have to do it this way:

Open "Online Music", then choose "Browse Folders", then "Music", then "Artists" and now it is in alphabetical order... Why it does this, I haven't a clue.

Hopefully they fix the back button so it goes back to the same spot in the artist list as the 7702 series did. If you have a few hundred artists in the list it is a pain it goes back to the top of the list every time you hit the back button. Grrr

Maybe this info can help somebody...
Calderes likes this.

post #612 of 1847 Old 01-05-2017, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
On the topic of NAS music files and the HEOS app, I just set up a networked hard drive using my Netgear Nighthawk 7500v2 (the router allows you to set up networked storage using it's USB connections). The AV7703 doesn't see the netgear network location like it sees my computer and two laptops. I used WMP to try and add the networked hdd to my list of shared music and now the heos app allows me to see the folders on the networked hard drive by navigating *through* my pc folders but I can't see the networked hdd as it's own network location. Once I get to the NAS folders though, unfortunately they are empty! WMP did mention something about not having permissions because the files weren't located on the pc itself, but clearly it halfway worked...

I would expect to simply be able to see the NAS separately in the heos app the way I see my computers, and while typically network "visibility" can be fixed by manually entering the windows SMB information or ip address, there is no way that I have yet discovered to enter this information into the app. It's either recognized by the heos app - or not.

Suggestions?

(On a side note, SteveH was a real pleasure to do business with - overall I'm suuuuper stoked with my new Emotiva/Marantz setup.)
post #613 of 1847 Old 01-06-2017, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4819 Post(s)
Liked: 2864
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderes View Post
On the topic of NAS music files and the HEOS app, I just set up a networked hard drive using my Netgear Nighthawk 7500v2 (the router allows you to set up networked storage using it's USB connections). The AV7703 doesn't see the netgear network location like it sees my computer and two laptops. I used WMP to try and add the networked hdd to my list of shared music and now the heos app allows me to see the folders on the networked hard drive by navigating *through* my pc folders but I can't see the networked hdd as it's own network location. Once I get to the NAS folders though, unfortunately they are empty! WMP did mention something about not having permissions because the files weren't located on the pc itself, but clearly it halfway worked...

I would expect to simply be able to see the NAS separately in the heos app the way I see my computers, and while typically network "visibility" can be fixed by manually entering the windows SMB information or ip address, there is no way that I have yet discovered to enter this information into the app. It's either recognized by the heos app - or not.

Suggestions?

(On a side note, SteveH was a real pleasure to do business with - overall I'm suuuuper stoked with my new Emotiva/Marantz setup.)
You might need to enable the UPnP protocol in your router so that it can export the disk using DLNA. That's the only file sharing protocol supported by D+M equipment. Note, however, that doing so is a serious security risk since it usually allows access from outside your home network.
Calderes likes this.

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #614 of 1847 Old 01-09-2017, 08:15 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selden Ball View Post
You might need to enable the UPnP protocol in your router so that it can export the disk using DLNA. That's the only file sharing protocol supported by D+M equipment. Note, however, that doing so is a serious security risk since it usually allows access from outside your home network.
@Selden Ball

Thanks for the heads up with router DNLA. It seems I had already checked the "media server" box in the router settings which should enable UPnP, but it just doesn't seem to be working. I'll keep digging. But I'm grateful for the warning that this feature might enable unwanted snooping of my network storage so I'll look into that too.
post #615 of 1847 Old 01-09-2017, 09:24 AM

Mentioned: 288 Post(s)
Quoted: 6110 Post(s)
Liked: 5667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calderes View Post
@Selden Ball

Thanks for the heads up with router DNLA. It seems I had already checked the "media server" box in the router settings which should enable UPnP, but it just doesn't seem to be working. I'll keep digging. But I'm grateful for the warning that this feature might enable unwanted snooping of my network storage so I'll look into that too.
I had a similar problem with my ReadyNAS, my Heos app couldn't see it. I thought everything was running properly but I checked some DLNA apps on my phone & iPad (VLC, BubbleUPnP, LocalCast) and they couldn't see the ReadyNAS either. I then was able to focus my troubleshooting on the Router and NAS to fix the problem.
post #616 of 1847 Old 01-09-2017, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Thank you guys for all of the helpful comments on this processor and comparisons. I have purchased the AV7703 and I absolutely love it. The sound is much warmer, detailed, and cleaner. I finally have my B&W CM series speakers sounding the way they did when I demoed them.

I am upgrading from an Emotiva UMC-1 that I have had for about 7 years. I was tired of waiting for Emotiva to release an XMC-1 with all HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 ports. I was not interested in doing board swaps and cross shipments. I generally upgrade my processor every 5+ years. I am not bashing Emotiva because the processor market is difficult to compete in. I will still continue to use their amps (I am using an external Emotiva XPA5 gen 1).

I was unable to demo the AV7703 locally, but I was able to demo lower level Marantz AVRs with similar B&W speakers. The Marantz products always sounded better to my ears than similar priced AVRs from other manufacturers. I was shocked how great the Marantz sounded with B&W speakers.

I also see that HDMI 2.1 has been announced, but I see nothing with the spec that gives me concern.
fgsouza and OpenMindAudio like this.
post #617 of 1847 Old 01-10-2017, 10:29 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 370 Post(s)
Liked: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by NETPCTECH View Post
Thank you guys for all of the helpful comments on this processor and comparisons. I have purchased the AV7703 and I absolutely love it. The sound is much warmer, detailed, and cleaner. I finally have my B&W CM series speakers sounding the way they did when I demoed them.

I am upgrading from an Emotiva UMC-1 that I have had for about 7 years. I was tired of waiting for Emotiva to release an XMC-1 with all HDMI 2.0a/HDCP 2.2 ports. I was not interested in doing board swaps and cross shipments. I generally upgrade my processor every 5+ years. I am not bashing Emotiva because the processor market is difficult to compete in. I will still continue to use their amps (I am using an external Emotiva XPA5 gen 1).

I was unable to demo the AV7703 locally, but I was able to demo lower level Marantz AVRs with similar B&W speakers. The Marantz products always sounded better to my ears than similar priced AVRs from other manufacturers. I was shocked how great the Marantz sounded with B&W speakers.

I also see that HDMI 2.1 has been announced, but I see nothing with the spec that gives me concern.
I've looked at Emotiva pre-pros too but decided on the AV7703. I have a lot of respect for Emotiva. They are local to me here in Nashville and I have met Dan Laufman on a few occasions over the years. I will probably get a multichannel amp from them on some point in the next year to go with my 7703.

But I've never been sold on buying receivers and pre/pros from them, mainly for the issues you described. Emotiva is a pretty small company, even with their growth over the last nearly 15 years. And they just haven't been able to keep up with the yearly battle against competitors to keep up with the yearly product cycle of new standards in the home theater space. Even the upgrade path hasn't really worked out either. Denon tried this at one point but it wasn't that much of a success.
OpenMindAudio likes this.
post #618 of 1847 Old 01-14-2017, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenMindAudio View Post
Well, not good so far. The Heos Link 2 will not play Apple lossless (alac, .mp4a), even though it's advertised as a compatible format. These are my own files ripped from CDs, without any DRM issues, and they play fine on all other players in my house, including Sonos and my networked receivers (Marantz, Yamaha, before that, Onkyo). The new, second generation Heos with updated firmware plays my high-res flacs fine, also DSD (.dsf) files and mp3, but it fails to open any .mp4as, says "file format unsupported." Fails from the NAS via ethernet and fails from a USB drive, both of which serve up the flacs et al. just fine. Of course, 75 percent of my library is .mp4a.

... I hope this gets resolved quickly and happily because I really want this Heos player to be able to play hi-res files in different parts of the house. I remain open minded and hope I will be pleasantly surprised by by Heos/Denon's service.
I want to update this thread now that Heos / Denon has partially resolved the problem.

Heos Link 2 will play Apple Lossless files (ALAC, mp4a) only if they are created by one of the absolute latest versions of iTunes, such as the current (as of Jan. 14, 2017) version 12.5.4.42. I was running a version of iTunes 12 from just 2-3 months ago, and the ALAC files it created would not play on Heos Link 2. The customer service staff at Denon, one of whom was very helpful and conscientious (Michael M - nice job), tested one of my ALAC files and had the same problem I did. He found by using the current 12.5.4.42 version of iTunes, he could convert the file (convert from ALAC to ALAC within iTunes) and it would play. I was able to replicate that and can now play freshly converted or freshly ripped ALAC files.

Michael M at Denon deserves the credit for sleuthing this out. The two initial answers I got from the Denon tech support team (people behind Michael M) were ridiculous: 1) try Plex server (which had no affect on the problem), and 2) download a 10 year-old line-editing code tool and do a bunch of complicated stuff to change the packet structure of my music files (thanks for the user-friendly option guys). I was ready to explode more or less when Michael M, on his own, found the iTunes solution. Another work around he and I both considered, of course, was to convert my old ALAC files to Flac.

One other jibe at Denon, however - I had to call them and wait on hold three separate times to get this problem escalated, and that was even though Denon told me it was escalated after the first call. That cost me about 3 hours and it's obnoxious. Even AT&T has the decency to schedule a call back rather than place customers on hold.

While I commend Michael M at Denon, utimately the solution here can only be considered a partial success at best, more like a feeble workaround, because:

1. I have 32,000 Apple Lossless music files on my server. It's kind of a non-starter to suggest I convert all 32,000 of them to Flac or to a brand new Alac file within iTunes. That would take me a ridiculous amount of time and effort.

2. NONE of the other music server platforms I've tested have had this problem:

• Yamaha Musiccast plays the Alac files perfectly that Heos Link 2 won't play.
  • Sonos does too
  • My Marantz 7702 vmkii plays them through its own DLNA interface
  • My old Onkyo receiver played them through DLNA interface
Apart from this glitch, I like the Heos Link 2. It has good sound quality and handles my high resolution files well.

But if you happen to have a bunch of Apple Lossless files on a server, I would not recommend it. Mine will have to be returned, since I can't convert 32,000 files (or even 2,000) just to be able to use it. It should play them from the get go, just as all of its competition does.

"These go to eleven."

Equipment: Goldenear Triton Ones, SuperCenter XXL, Aon 2 surrounds, Invisa 650 ceiling speakers, Oppo BD 103d, Marantz 7702 mk2, Outlaw 2200 M-block (2) & 7125 7-channel, Roku 4, Sonos, and way too many old speakers, including an original pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s, one of the flattest frequency bookshelf speakers SoundStage ever measured.
post #619 of 1847 Old 01-14-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
I ripped a few files from CD to .mp4a via iTunes to test. They play just fine via USB and a HS2 Heos Link.

We have been Android users for the last 3 years. Even though my wife has an iPhone 6s+ for work and I have an iPad mini we primarily use our Samsung S7s.

I need to test the IOS version of the Heos app because I am not seeing my NAS in the Android Heos App. I have the NAS and several other PCs that should be seen via DLNA but are not.

We are going to be choosing a premium music streaming service soon and have been kicking a few around (I would like unlimited cloud storage for personally owned music/rips). I am disappointed that Google Play Music is not yet supported.

My wife uses Amazon Prime Music and says none of her custom playlists are accessible through the Heos app. I had to setup bluetooth so she can use her exercise playlists.
Denon customer support helped me sleuth this out. ALAC files work if they are created or converted with the absolute current/latest version of iTunes, 12.4 etc. I was running a version 12 but from several months ago. Denon could not play my files, but then they converted it (converted ALAC to ALAC) using the current version of iTunes and the file played for them and me on the Heos Link 2.

It's not a great solution, since I have 32,000 beautifully tagged ALAC files that would need to be converted via this method, or just converted to flac, and that's not a challenge I'm up for. But at least we know now what the problem is - it relates to some kind of packeting structure used for http streaming.

That's what Denon said anyway. All I know is every other network player I have (Yamaha musiccast, Sonos, Marantz avr, Onkyo avr) plays these older alac files just fine.

Thanks for testing a file for me. Thought you might want to know the resolution.
Marc Alexander likes this.

"These go to eleven."

Equipment: Goldenear Triton Ones, SuperCenter XXL, Aon 2 surrounds, Invisa 650 ceiling speakers, Oppo BD 103d, Marantz 7702 mk2, Outlaw 2200 M-block (2) & 7125 7-channel, Roku 4, Sonos, and way too many old speakers, including an original pair of Ascend Acoustics CBM-170s, one of the flattest frequency bookshelf speakers SoundStage ever measured.
post #620 of 1847 Old 01-14-2017, 11:49 AM

@OpenMindAudio are they exploring a fix for Heos to properly decode the older ALAC files? They need to. While this isn't a problem for me it's obviously an issue for you and likely others.

Now that Chromecast Audio has added multi-room capabilities, I'm going to try it out. It is a more cost effective solution than Heos links, but overall sound quality is my big question. We prefer to use our own speakers to Heos speakers (my wife hates black boxes, she prefers Rosenut/Rosewood). Right now we have 2 HS2 links, 1 HS1 link, and 2 HS2 amps (one is still new in the box, unopened).

IMHO Heos needs to be perfected fast. They never delivered Google Cast support which was announced in 2015. There is no support for Google Play Music. I can't access my personal library or playlists in Amazon on Heos.

I purchased an Amazon dot to test out as well. While I like Heos, I won't hesitate to sell it all and go with Chromecast and/or Amazon Dot/Echo solutions if they offer better functionality.
OpenMindAudio likes this.
post #621 of 1847 Old 01-16-2017, 03:10 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 391
I've been a Yamaha guy (ypao) for years and just switched over to the dark side and purchased a marantz 7703.

1. I'm really liking Heos w/tidal is their a way to listen to music and watch television at the same time? On my Yamaha rx-a2040 i could do this and it worked great.

2. I'm getting a "no network connection" with no artwork but i'm able to play spotify, tidal and whatever else. Has anyone experienced this?

I plan on going through the manual when i get home from work tonight.

Ascend Sierra 2's (LCR & side surrounds) + Pioneer atmos modules. 5.1.4 setup
Marantz AV7703
Rythmik FV15HP
JVC DLA-X590R (RS 440) projector
Stewart StudioTek 130 screen
post #622 of 1847 Old 01-17-2017, 03:57 AM

Mentioned: 801 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23705 Post(s)
Liked: 13053
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post
I've been a Yamaha guy (ypao) for years and just switched over to the dark side and purchased a marantz 7703.

1. I'm really liking Heos w/tidal is their a way to listen to music and watch television at the same time? On my Yamaha rx-a2040 i could do this and it worked great.

2. I'm getting a "no network connection" with no artwork but i'm able to play spotify, tidal and whatever else. Has anyone experienced this?

1. Yup. While listening to TIDAL, on the remote select OPTION - VIDEO SELECT - ON - CBL/SAT.
2. Try doing a soft reset by powering off and unplugging the AVP for 10 minutes. If the issue persists, do a Network chip reset as noted below:

Discrete Network chip reset (no settings lost)
1 - With the AVP powered ON, select "Online Music" as the input source.
2 - Simultaneously press/hold the AV7703 "BACK" + "ENTER" buttons on the front panel
3 - Hold the buttons for a few seconds until the display reads "Network Restart" and then release the buttons.
post #623 of 1847 Old 01-17-2017, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Alexander View Post
@OpenMindAudio are they exploring a fix for Heos to properly decode the older ALAC files? They need to. While this isn't a problem for me it's obviously an issue for you and likely others.

Now that Chromecast Audio has added multi-room capabilities, I'm going to try it out. It is a more cost effective solution than Heos links, but overall sound quality is my big question. We prefer to use our own speakers to Heos speakers (my wife hates black boxes, she prefers Rosenut/Rosewood). Right now we have 2 HS2 links, 1 HS1 link, and 2 HS2 amps (one is still new in the box, unopened).

IMHO Heos needs to be perfected fast. They never delivered Google Cast support which was announced in 2015. There is no support for Google Play Music. I can't access my personal library or playlists in Amazon on Heos.

I purchased an Amazon dot to test out as well. While I like Heos, I won't hesitate to sell it all and go with Chromecast and/or Amazon Dot/Echo solutions if they offer better functionality.
I don't know if Heos is exploring a fix for the "legacy" (i.e., older than 3 month) Apple Lossless files that their system won't play. They did not indicate that to me, and we had quite a bit of communication on the issue. I agree for sure it should be fixed.

I'm testing out a Chromecast Audio rig this week and will post some thoughts.

On that note, I'm also wrapping up a digital audio system shootout between Heos 2, Sonos, Musiccast and Chromecast Audio. I'm strictly doing this for fun and will likely just post it here as a thread on AVS forum. I'll be sure to post a note here if I do, and also to include that info about Google Play and Amazon you mentioned.
Marc Alexander likes this.

"These go to eleven."

post #624 of 1847 Old 01-17-2017, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyzer soze View Post

I have not experienced a "no network connection" issuue on my Marantz 7702 mkii, but then again, it does not have Heos bundled in like the 7703. Also, I hardwire the Marantz via Ethernet. Do you have it hardwired or is it connected via Wi-Fi?

"These go to eleven."

post #625 of 1847 Old 01-17-2017, 08:56 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked: 207
post #626 of 1847 Old 01-17-2017, 09:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post
When is the 7703 MkII slated to come out>?
7703 was November 2016.

If there is a replacement for the 7703 expect it no sooner November 2017.
fgsouza likes this.
post #627 of 1847 Old 01-17-2017, 12:16 PM

Mentioned: 407 Post(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked: 5628
HAAHAHA. Said that last year about the 7702 and BAM.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #628 of 1847 Old 01-17-2017, 01:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1702 Post(s)
Liked: 943
Correct me if I'm wrong but there was always a year between models.

2014: 7702
2015: 7702mkii
2016: 7703
2017: 7704??? Too soon to say.
post #629 of 1847 Old 01-17-2017, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 407 Post(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked: 5628
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwaleke View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but there was always a year between models.

2014: 7702
2015: 7702mkii
2016: 7703
2017: 7704??? Too soon to say.
Correct. The 7702 announcement just came a little sooner than expected. Or I could still be off base.

European Models do not accept banana plugs
Belly of the Beast: Bass Bunker Theater
post #630 of 1847 Old 01-17-2017, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastaudio View Post
Correct. The 7702 announcement just came a little sooner than expected. Or I could still be off base.
The 7702mkII release was due to HDCP 2.2 & DTS:X IIRC. I think the ability to pass-through all the various HDR formats over HDMI may determine the need for a 7703mkII (I'm hoping they can get them all working on the existing HDMI hardware on the 7702mkII, 7703, & 8802A.

I believe/hope the 7704 & 8804 will be fully HDMI 2.1 compliant.
fgsouza likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
AV7703

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page