HDMI output of HT-R380 not working with VGA adapter/converter - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 09-02-2016, 11:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
HDMI output of HT-R380 not working with VGA adapter/converter

Setup:
I have this Onkyo HT-R380 receiver and various display devices (like projector, TV, monitor.) that have VGA input.
I use an HDMI to VGA active adapter/converter so I can use these display devices with HDMI signals.

Problem:
When I use the HDMI out of Onkyo HT-R380 receiver, I do not get any signal in the display devices.
When I use the HDMI out of my other devices like Laptop, TV box, I get signal in the display devices.

What might be the issue with the Onkyo HT-R380 receiver?

The HDMI out of Onkyo HT-R380 receiver is fine as it works when connected directly to my TV HDMI input.
The adapter/converter is fine as it works with other HDMI outs.
The HDMI to VGA active adapter image

Last edited by ontherocks; 09-03-2016 at 10:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 09-03-2016, 09:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 808 Post(s)
Liked: 532
Probably because your adapter doesn't support HDCP.
post #3 of 12 Old 09-03-2016, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worf View Post
Probably because your adapter doesn't support HDCP.
Thanks. Did not think of this possibility.
How can I test this theory in some other way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 09-04-2016, 08:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

What video card does your laptop have? I know nvidia ones can tell you if HDCP is supported on a HDMI device.

An alternative is to find an HDMI splitter on amazon that does HDCP stripping, and insert it in between the adapter and receiver. There are a few of those.
post #5 of 12 Old 09-05-2016, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What video card does your laptop have? I know nvidia ones can tell you if HDCP is supported on a HDMI device.

An alternative is to find an HDMI splitter on amazon that does HDCP stripping, and insert it in between the adapter and receiver. There are a few of those.
Laptop has Intel HD Graphics 4400
So I presume it has HDCP by default. If so, how does the converter work with the Laptop?

Last edited by ontherocks; 09-05-2016 at 10:03 AM.
post #6 of 12 Old 09-05-2016, 07:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Well, when you connect an HDCP capable source to a non hdcp capable sink, then an unprotected video stream is sent. Depending on the source, this can be ok - pcs, tv cable boxes, etc, often don't care if the video is HDCP protected.

However, if you try to play some highdef video formats on your PC, like a Blu-Ray, they will request HDCP protection. If the link is already protected, great, else, it will try to establish an HDCP connection. If it fails (for example, the sink doesn't support hdcp) then you get e dreaded "HDCP not supported" style message or an error.

Most video cards will try to establish HDCP on connection, but if it's not supported,then it will be fine with an unencrypted link.
post #7 of 12 Old 09-10-2016, 08:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Well, when you connect an HDCP capable source to a non hdcp capable sink, then an unprotected video stream is sent. Depending on the source, this can be ok - pcs, tv cable boxes, etc, often don't care if the video is HDCP protected.

However, if you try to play some highdef video formats on your PC, like a Blu-Ray, they will request HDCP protection. If the link is already protected, great, else, it will try to establish an HDCP connection. If it fails (for example, the sink doesn't support hdcp) then you get e dreaded "HDCP not supported" style message or an error.

Most video cards will try to establish HDCP on connection, but if it's not supported,then it will be fine with an unencrypted link.
Some update.
I had the following HDMI splitter.

I connected it between the receiver and HDMI-VGA converter and tried all combinations like connecting the TV first and then connecting the converter or pulling out the HDMI for TV while there was video. Unfortunately I was not able to get a signal with VGA. So there are two possibilities.

1. The splitter is bad
2. The splitter is "passive" meaning it has no active electronic components, so it must not be capable of stripping HDCP. If this is true, I would need an "active" splitter, e.g. a powered one, like below

I was about to give up on this as I did not want to purchase another splitter.
Today while looking around my cables, I found out an HDMI to DVI converter "passive" cable. Like below

And I connected it to the HDMI out of the receiver and one of my computer monitors. And surprisingly there was video in my monitor. So theory no 2. might be out. So now either I need a working splitter or a DVI to VGA converter.

Last edited by ontherocks; 09-10-2016 at 11:12 AM.
post #8 of 12 Old 09-10-2016, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
Why do you need VGA at all if your monitor has DVI, your TV has HDMI and your projector probably has some type of digital input, either HDMI or DVI?

If your projector only has VGA then it probably pretty old. Anything recent would have some type of digital video input too.

It would helpful if you listed your display devices and what type of inputs each one has.

Afro GT
post #9 of 12 Old 09-10-2016, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
Why do you need VGA at all if your monitor has DVI, your TV has HDMI and your projector probably has some type of digital input, either HDMI or DVI?

If your projector only has VGA then it probably pretty old. Anything recent would have some type of digital video input too.

It would helpful if you listed your display devices and what type of inputs each one has.
I have a receiver with HDMI OUT and an old projector with VGA and component IN. My goal is to connect them both. I don't have the money to buy a new projector.
post #10 of 12 Old 09-10-2016, 11:53 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 2092 Post(s)
Liked: 1394
What is the max resolution of your projector?

Afro GT
post #11 of 12 Old 09-10-2016, 08:35 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Your splitter is passive - you need an active splitter for modern HDMI. Most cheap powered splitters will not properly handle HDCP, which is why they are used as HDCP strippers. I can't think of any situation where a passive HDMI splitter would even work.

The passive HDMI to DVI cable works because they are designed to - HDMI devices must inter operate with DVI devices, and if your monitor is relatively modern, they will also support HDCP.
post #12 of 12 Old 09-10-2016, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
What is the max resolution of your projector?
Native - 480p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page