Advice between two secondhand receivers? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 09-04-2016, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Advice between two secondhand receivers?

Hi Folks,

I am currently in the market for a receiver, and have narrowed my choice down to two secondhand models: the Onkyo TX-SR703 or the Integra DTR-6.4.

I have been looking for something that 1.) is inexpensive 2.) has line-level pre-outs for connecting my 2 self-amplified studio monitors (the only speakers plan on using with this) 3.) has a phono input and optical inputs, and 4.) will offer decent sound quality, given that my monitors are reasonably high-end. The two models listed above seem like they will meet my criteria, and I have found them both locally priced at $100.

I am currently favoring the Onkyo, simply because it is slightly newer, looks better in my opinion, and has more channels/decoding features (although this is basically irrelevant for my use case). However, I know that some people believe the Integras to be of higher quality than Onkyo units, and I am willing to consider the Integra despite its other shortcomings if it will offer appreciably sound quality.

I would very much appreciate any advice anyone may have to offer! Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-06-2016, 08:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 435 Post(s)
Liked: 355

There won’t be any appreciable difference in sound quality between the two, if indeed there is any difference at all (unlikely). However, since the Integra is a higher-end model, it’s possible that its phono pre amp is higher quality than the Onkyo, if that matters to you. That’s just speculation on my part though...

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Integra , Onkyo , preamp , processor , receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page