2017 Sony ES Series: ZA5000ES / ZA3100ES / ZA2100ES / ZA1100ES / ZA810ES - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #31 of 257 Old 09-13-2017, 05:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by animeking View Post
Do any of these 2017 receivers support DLNA?

Or do I have to get the DN1080 if I want networked music?
810 or 1080. The original es are designed for an installer in integrate with 3rd party streaming services or existing products. For exmaple I've got like 5 devices that can stream all the same stuff, why do I need it in a receiver too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 257 Old 10-11-2017, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I sold my Marantz SR5005 and bought a Sony STR DA5400 ES used on ebay. I liked the sound so much that after a week I put it for sale and bought a new SONY STR ZA-3000 ES, which is a better match for my new Samsung 4K TV.

I also sold my Oppo BDP-103 and bought the Sony UBP-X800 4k Blu Ray player, which, like the Oppo, can play surround sound music discs through HDMI.

The Sony STR ZA-3000ES has the best onscreen display I've seen, by far. This makes it much easier to set up. The auto calibration mic did a good job but put the speakers at Large, which I changed to small. It had the crossovers at zero and the surround speakers at 200HZ, but once I set the speakers to small, the crossovers automatically changed to 120HZ for the front and center speakers and kept the surround speakers at 200HZ. I have two Martin Logan 300 subs and two Martin Logan Sequel speakers, plus a Martin Logan center and Magnepan surrounds. The sound from the Sony is the best I've had from any receiver and I've had some nice Denon receivers, plus the Marantz, and a flagship JVC when they were serious players in the market. My Sequel 1 speakers are probably at least twenty years old and they sound great with this receiver.

I haven't used the ethernet ports yet, not sure if I will. Changing the input assignments was a breeze because of the sharp on screen interface. I was able to set this receiver up in an hour or so and as many of you know, it can take several hours sometimes before you get things right.

I paid $519 with shipping for the SONY STR ZA-3000ES (ebay) and it was brand new in box with a five year warranty. It is currently being sold for more than twice that amount on Amazon. At the price I paid, it is one of the best values I ever got.
post #33 of 257 Old 10-11-2017, 09:20 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP0117 View Post
810 or 1080. The original es are designed for an installer in integrate with 3rd party streaming services or existing products. For exmaple I've got like 5 devices that can stream all the same stuff, why do I need it in a receiver too?
The 810 seams to be a clone of the 1080 with a little different power rating. I found the 810 for a great price and love it. I have it driving Bowers and Wilkins inwalls and it sound great. It plays well with my 75z9d. I have a Sony HAP z1es high res player in my basement 2 channel set up that I can stream to the 810 which is awesome. Overall this is a very nice receiver.

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 257 Old 10-20-2017, 07:45 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 70
I would like to ask if anyone know or is using network audio player as media connect with ZA receivers. I know Sonos is the one people are talking but I see amazon has something else cheapers but not sure if it works.
Thank you for your input

Sent from my SGP771 using Tapatalk

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X6500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes/Sub
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Too much to list here :)
post #35 of 257 Old 11-26-2017, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 25
What's the temperature like on these after an hour or so of use? I owned a DA4ES which would burn paper if left over the vents, and a 4400ES which gets pretty warm. Thinking of installing one in an enclosed space and wondering if that's possible.
post #36 of 257 Old 12-02-2017, 08:35 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Hi,

Does anyone here know if the 3100ES has a decent headphone amp built in? Good enough to adequately drive Senheiser HD 600s?

Thanks!!
post #37 of 257 Old 12-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked: 70
ZA5000ES just got new firmware to support Dolby Vision pass through.
New firmware version is 1.174

XBR55X700D/Optoma UHD60
Denon AVR-X6500H
14 Gigaworks S750 Cubes/Sub
Acoustimass 15 Series 2 Sub
Too much to list here :)
post #38 of 257 Old 12-09-2017, 08:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
Hi,

Does anyone here know if the 3100ES has a decent headphone amp built in? Good enough to adequately drive Senheiser HD 600s?

Thanks!!
There is no headphone output on any of the current ES AVRs except for the 810ES.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|B&W 706 S2/SF Chameleon B|Marantz 1508|ATV 4K|Panasonic UB900
post #39 of 257 Old 12-22-2017, 10:08 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just got a ZA2100ES - couldn't resist the price at refurb. The other unit I'd been eyeing was the DN1080, which I know has dedicated circuitry for handling DSD/SACD signals. I know the ZA2100ES can handle DSD signals as well, but I haven't seen anything online about whether the unit does any conversion of the signal digitally before it is output to the speakers.
Ulisescm likes this.
post #40 of 257 Old 12-29-2017, 09:19 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Noob with 3100es and 65 inch A1E Sony Tv

Hi. I’m very new to the audio department and just bought my 3100es receiver to go along with my Sony A1E tv to go ahead and get a full theater feel. So I bought 6 of the SSCS3 Sony towers to go around ( front L R, side L R, and rear L R) a Sony SSCS8 Center speaker, and 2 Sony SACS9 subwoofers. All connected with 14 gauge banana plugged speaker wire ran from the walls on top of attic to speaker positions in the living room.

Now that you have an idea of my setup, I’m curious on how I’m supposed to see if I’m getting Dolby Atmos as I’m only seeing the options that are built in receiver ( neural X, Dolby surround, multi channel stereo, auto format decoding A.F.D, 2 channel direct, 2 channel stereo) but there’s no Dolby Atmos option. I currently set it to Dolby surround. But everytime I change to TV Netflix I see a Dolby digital 5.1 3/ 2.1 flash across receiver screen before stating on my selected sound field ( usually Dolby surround ) I also don’t see Dolby Atmos on Netflix movies that support it. I mostly see only 5.1 next to those movies. I would think I’d at least see 7.1. It seems that maybe I don’t see Dolby Atmos on those movies as something is not letting it know my receiver carries it. Idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don’t know much about this yet

Right now I have my tv directly connected to directV with its built in client. I have only 1 hdmi going from tv to receiver (ARC). I have my Sony UBP X800 4K blu ray and xbox 1 X directly connected via hdmi to receiver.

My settings are as followed. Receiver SPEAKER SETUP Auto Calibration, automatic phase matching AUTO, calibration type ENGINEER , speaker pattern 7.1, surround speaker position BACK , Speaker relocation OFF

Receiver AUDIO SETUP= digital legato linear AUTO 2,sound optimizer NORMAL, sound field DOLBY SURROUND, pure direct OFF, dual mono MAIN , dynamic range compressor OFF , Neural X option is shaded so I can click on it to adjust. Software version 1.024

Tv settings
sound mode STANDARD, digital audio out volume MAX, Dolby dynamic range: STANDARD or compressed,MPEG audio level set to max, he-aac dynamic range: standard or COMPRESSED,he-aac audio level set to -1, Dolby digital plus output: Dolby digital or DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS
The CAP words are the current settings I have selected

If anyone has any advice or which settings would be the best or how to get the Dolby Atmos feel, it’s greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F036223E-B330-4C78-9FAC-90AAE98EAD09.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	2337024   Click image for larger version

Name:	7C231489-63F0-4E05-B689-0D0FBBCB3868.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	2337026   Click image for larger version

Name:	1B5C85D0-A28C-4975-8332-5EE3D5B95E44.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	2337028   Click image for larger version

Name:	3697CC56-B9E8-40A8-8942-9B244DC26340.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	2337030  
post #41 of 257 Old 01-30-2018, 05:57 AM

Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by satxdonkey View Post
Hi. I’m very new to the audio department and just bought my 3100es receiver to go along with my Sony A1E tv to go ahead and get a full theater feel. So I bought 6 of the SSCS3 Sony towers to go around ( front L R, side L R, and rear L R) a Sony SSCS8 Center speaker, and 2 Sony SACS9 subwoofers. All connected with 14 gauge banana plugged speaker wire ran from the walls on top of attic to speaker positions in the living room.

Now that you have an idea of my setup, I’m curious on how I’m supposed to see if I’m getting Dolby Atmos as I’m only seeing the options that are built in receiver ( neural X, Dolby surround, multi channel stereo, auto format decoding A.F.D, 2 channel direct, 2 channel stereo) but there’s no Dolby Atmos option. I currently set it to Dolby surround. But everytime I change to TV Netflix I see a Dolby digital 5.1 3/ 2.1 flash across receiver screen before stating on my selected sound field ( usually Dolby surround ) I also don’t see Dolby Atmos on Netflix movies that support it. I mostly see only 5.1 next to those movies. I would think I’d at least see 7.1. It seems that maybe I don’t see Dolby Atmos on those movies as something is not letting it know my receiver carries it. Idk. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I really don’t know much about this yet

Right now I have my tv directly connected to directV with its built in client. I have only 1 hdmi going from tv to receiver (ARC). I have my Sony UBP X800 4K blu ray and xbox 1 X directly connected via hdmi to receiver.

My settings are as followed. Receiver SPEAKER SETUP Auto Calibration, automatic phase matching AUTO, calibration type ENGINEER , speaker pattern 7.1, surround speaker position BACK , Speaker relocation OFF

Receiver AUDIO SETUP= digital legato linear AUTO 2,sound optimizer NORMAL, sound field DOLBY SURROUND, pure direct OFF, dual mono MAIN , dynamic range compressor OFF , Neural X option is shaded so I can click on it to adjust. Software version 1.024

Tv settings
sound mode STANDARD, digital audio out volume MAX, Dolby dynamic range: STANDARD or compressed,MPEG audio level set to max, he-aac dynamic range: standard or COMPRESSED,he-aac audio level set to -1, Dolby digital plus output: Dolby digital or DOLBY DIGITAL PLUS

If anyone has any advice or which settings would be the best or how to get the Dolby Atmos feel, it’s greatly appreciated.

Hi. I realize it's been a month, so hopefully you got this sorted out. If so, please share what you did. I just set up my 3100 yesterday.

I *think* the right setting is AFD for the sound field and enhanced for HDMI. With those settings, Atmos and Dolby Vision should be passed through. I agree that the display is a bit frustrating, as it doesnt really tell you what is going on.

Would love any tips you have!
tedhontz and Ulisescm like this.
post #42 of 257 Old 02-05-2018, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have a 1050 model and wanna upgrade for Atmos, the obvious choice would be the 1080 but I have a little more budget and I’m thinking on the ZA1100es or the ZA810es... I don’t mind losing the WiFi or streaming music, gonna use a Sony player for that... just wanna know if the 250 usd price difference is worth for the za1100...
post #43 of 257 Old 02-08-2018, 12:46 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulisescm View Post
I have a 1050 model and wanna upgrade for Atmos, the obvious choice would be the 1080 but I have a little more budget and I’m thinking on the ZA1100es or the ZA810es... I don’t mind losing the WiFi or streaming music, gonna use a Sony player for that... just wanna know if the 250 usd price difference is worth for the za1100...
I can't speak directly to the 1100 as I have the za5000 and am not sure what the spec differences are. I can tell you that I have been extremely pleased with the ATMOS performance. There was also a firmware update which added Dolby Vision (DV) support as well. I'm not sure if that is important to you nor whether the ZA100 or ZA810 have DV as well as ATMOS support.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #44 of 257 Old 02-08-2018, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 969
Do you think we will see the ZA5100 later this year w/HDMI 2.1? The 5000 came out in 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #45 of 257 Old 02-08-2018, 08:56 PM

If it isn't set up for atmos, meaning no height channels, the receiver wont decode it. Simply because it doesn't have to,
You don't have enough speakers. If u were to change and add height, it will display and decode the atmos track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satxdonkey View Post

Tv settings

tedhontz likes this.
post #46 of 257 Old 02-11-2018, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone know about the DSD handling in these models? I got the ZS2100ES kind of assuming it would have the same settings to process DSD without PCM conversion that the STR-DN1080 does, but I can't find the setting anywhere.

The whole thing has me missing the Yamaha RX-A3000 a bit (what I swapped out for the ZS2100ES). I like this model and never used the smart features on that AVR either, but the lack of features on this one seems almost intentionally abrupt.
post #47 of 257 Old 02-11-2018, 09:27 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Yes, I've noticed this as well. Including one time by Michael Fremer who reviewed just the amp in the STR-DA5400ES receiver and gave it universal praise and the highest possible score.

I have owned many ES receivers over the years, and my ears love the sound they produce. In particular the tone quality of the highs, which have a unique tonal sheen signature that is distinctive and very pleasing (to me at least). I've owned high end Yamaha receivers (back in the 2000s) and did not find them to sound as good as Sony ES. I've been buying Sony ES receivers for over 10 years now, and my experience is the are well designed and very reliable. I also notice they run relatively cool compared to other brands I've had.
I am on my second Sony ES AVR now it's real decent .
post #48 of 257 Old 02-24-2018, 11:15 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 486
I’m excited. Ordered the 810, but was upgraded for the same price to the 1100. I needed to replace my Onkyo that lacked some HDR support.
frank xbe likes this.
post #49 of 257 Old 02-26-2018, 02:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 486
Has anyone used the "Phantom back" feature?

LG OLED65C7P - Professionally Calibrated l Apple TV 4K l Microsoft Xbox One S l Sony STR-ZA1100ES l Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel l Polk Audio Monitor 60 Series II Floorstanding L/R l Polk Audio Monitor 45B Rear Surround l Dual BIC V1220 Subwoofers
post #50 of 257 Old 03-03-2018, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Master View Post
Has anyone used the "Phantom back" feature?
Since I have no clue what this is, I guess I haven't.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
post #51 of 257 Old 04-10-2018, 10:59 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see this thread is very active, lot of people must have this avr

Last Friday I accidentally noticed local Best Buy had 3100ES in clearance corner. I've been scouting atmos avrs and the price was so good I bought it (after first driving home and checking some reviews).

Setup was easy-ish, used my old 7.1 speakers and bought 2 more which I hooked up in the ceiling. Also bought cheap Insignia stereo amp to drive those.

I'm using Xbox X to drive the content. While using the Dolby Atmos demo from Xbox, it sounds awesome. However, the only atmos movie so far I have (Thor Ragnarok) didn't sound that great. Then read some reviews and they say that movie is pretty bad for audio. Ordered 5th Element from Amazon, hopefully that'll be better.

I have one question on that though, while watching movies from xbox it seemed I had to crank up the volume on Sony up to ~ -15...-20 until it was decent level. Is that expected? My earlier avr (Onkyo) had different scale so it can't be directly compared, the Onkyo volume was 38...42 for proper level.

Also I tried using Zone2 with another amp, but I didn't seem to be able to get any output on that zone. The settings for zones is not that clear, is there some easy button to enable certain source to zone2/3?

Any other tips/tricks for the setup?
post #52 of 257 Old 05-25-2018, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Unhappy Sony str-za1100es power on volume

How do I change the power on volume level? I've looked at every setup menu option and cannot find it.
post #53 of 257 Old 05-25-2018, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickrebo View Post
How do I change the power on volume level? I've looked at every setup menu option and cannot find it.
Under zone, listed as preset volume.
post #54 of 257 Old 06-11-2018, 11:24 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 24
What does "optimized for custom in-home integration" mean? What are optimized? What in this series make them better for custom in-home integration than, say, a DN1080?

Thanks.
post #55 of 257 Old 06-11-2018, 11:43 PM

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 24
ZA1100ES vs. ZA2100ES

If I want 7.1 in the main zone and 2.0 in Zone 2, do I need ZA2100ES? Or ZA1100ES would do? There are two scenarios here:

(1) Both 7.1 in the main zone and 2.0 in Zone 2 are working. In other words, the two zone are used at the same time.

(2) Only one of the two zones is working. In other words, only one zone will be used at a time.

Basically, what does ZA2100ES have in addition to ZA1100ES features?
post #56 of 257 Old 07-19-2018, 10:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Anyone have one of these that came from a 1080? I like the sound of my 1080 but looking for something with a little more power The 1100 looks like a be great option. Is it worth the upgrade?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #57 of 257 Old 08-19-2018, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Anyone using upward-firing Atmos speakers with the str-za5000es? Im a big fan of Sony audio, Ive owned the 1040 and currently I have the 1070 receiver. Looking to upgrade to Atmos and I really want the ZA5000ES its just a tad pricey. Im also considering the Marantz 6011 and the Denon X4300H. Both of those AVRs are 9 channel and $1000 cheaper.
For the love of God, I hope this reaches you in time.......do NOT buy a Denon AVR-X4300H. I had a Sony ES STR-ZA3000ES. I wanted to "upgrade" to ATMOS and DTS:X and I bought the Denon X4300H. I've always hated Audyssey but this time people on this site said XT32 was amazing and I'd just LOVE the new Denon receiver. It sounds good on movies but it is TERRIBLE for music! Audyssey choices are "reference" which literally says, "Selects the default calibrated setting with a SLIGHT ROLL OFF AT HIGH FREQUENCIES, which is optimized for MOVIES". So basically it sucks all the high sounds from your music. I own a $3000 pair of Klipsch RF-7 speakers that used to have AMAZING highs, but not with this receiver. The other Audyssey options are L/R bypass which doesn't work, FLAT, which is well, flat. And OFF. There is literally NO selection for MUSIC!!! When I turn OFF Audyssey, my speakers come to life and I enjoy great high sounds and the voices are great again, but then my four subwoofers hardly make any noise at all! So, it's either extreme bass and lifeless high sound that is lacking. OR high sounds and bass that is lacking. There is no middle ground with this receiver! I still have my STR-ZA3000ES in my bedroom closet and I don't want to lose ATMOS or DTS:X. I'd also be losing Dolby Vision and HDCP2.2 on all inputs, plus my Denon X4300H is running 11 channels now since I use an external amp for my main front speakers. I'd be going from 11 channel back to 7 channel and no ATMOS or DTS:X. I'm so upset right now. I'm thinking of buying a STR-ZA5000ES used on eBay or get a STR-ZA3100ES from eBay. Does anyone know if these two models have the same setup/calibration method that the STR-ZA3000ES used? I liked the simplicity of the STR-ZA3000ES on how it did the mic calibration. I read somewhere that Sony used a different method for Atmos. Please tell me that's not true! If it's changed, is it at least similar to the STR-ZA3000ES?
post #58 of 257 Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordredKLB View Post
What's the temperature like on these after an hour or so of use? I owned a DA4ES which would burn paper if left over the vents, and a 4400ES which gets pretty warm. Thinking of installing one in an enclosed space and wondering if that's possible.
I had the STR-ZA3000ES. I never noticed it even getting warm. Upgraded "debatable" to a Denon AVR-X4300H. Thing runs so hot that I bought an AC INFINITY $110 cooling system. The Denon runs HOT compared to the Sony ES. It gets so hot in my home theater room that the air conditioning isn't good enough for the room. I have to open the room's door and let the central air come in from the rest of the house. I HATE my Denon receiver!
post #59 of 257 Old 08-19-2018, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 969
I’m waiting for the ZA5100es or whatever replaces the 5000es. Only thing that stinks is Sony’s ES line is so darn expensive than most manufacturers. I think we should see some new Sony Audio at IFA at the end of the month.

LG65C9, XBOX ONE X, PS4PRO, APPLE 4K, SONY STRDN1070, TAKE CLASSIC 5.1
post #60 of 257 Old 08-19-2018, 01:25 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
I’m waiting for the ZA5100es or whatever replaces the 5000es. Only thing that stinks is Sony’s ES line is so darn expensive than most manufacturers. I think we should see some new Sony Audio at IFA at the end of the month.

The old saying, you get what you pay for, definitely applies to Sony ES products. They are worth what they are asking for them.
helvetica bold likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc , Samsung , sony str-za1100es , STR-ZA1000ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page