2017 Sony ES Series: ZA5000ES / ZA3100ES / ZA2100ES / ZA1100ES / ZA810ES - Page 9 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes

post #241 of 258 Old 04-28-2019, 05:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Tedhontz,
I did the hard reset and so far so good. Things seem to be back to normal. However, I am now reminded of an issue I had back before the HDMI problems started.

I use Tivo for my cable TV (connected via HDMI) and when I am in the tv listings page of the Tivo and select Scroll Up or Scroll Down the receiver status display (the black bar along the bottom of the screen indicating Input etc....) pops up for about 5 seconds......every time.
As you might imagine, this is really annoying since it blocks half of the listings I am trying to read.

Does this description of the problem make sense. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Dan

Sony 65A1E - Apple TV 4K - Sony STR-ZA2100ES
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #242 of 258 Old 04-28-2019, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyk100 View Post
Tedhontz,
I did the hard reset and so far so good. Things seem to be back to normal. However, I am now reminded of an issue I had back before the HDMI problems started.

I use Tivo for my cable TV (connected via HDMI) and when I am in the tv listings page of the Tivo and select Scroll Up or Scroll Down the receiver status display (the black bar along the bottom of the screen indicating Input etc....) pops up for about 5 seconds......every time.
As you might imagine, this is really annoying since it blocks half of the listings I am trying to read.

Does this description of the problem make sense. Any ideas?
Trying a hard reset did not help me in the long run with my problems. And yes the very huge and overrated black bar along the bottom pops up all the time. Whoever designed that at Sony ES needs to be fired and maybe shot. Not only is the black bar HUGE which blocks what you are trying to see, but the only thing that the huge black bar displays is the input name, which is done in a very tiny 6 point font! If they were going to make the font so tiny, why did they make the black bar so huge? Nothing like turning to watch the Super Bowl, for example, and missing 5 seconds or more of all the action. My Sony 3000ES didn't do this. I know the 3100ES does do this. The 5000ES was brought out much later than the 3000ES and so it's more like a 5100ES, if that existed. So yeah my 5000ES does this too.

Another annoying thing that my 5000ES does, and this happened on my 3000ES receiver as well so I don't think it is a receiver issue, but I set the input for Apple TV. That then automatically turns my TV on which is annoying. I want to listen to music, not watch TV. So I immediately turn off the TV which turns off my audio for a few seconds. Then I have to restart the song. But I'm sure its the same with your TV, when you turn off the Sony TV it really doesn't turn completely off for at least 5 minutes or longer. So, I have to restart my song after turning off the TV and then about 5+ minutes later, I am listening to the song and when my TV decides to completely turn off, then I lose my audio again for about 5 seconds or more again. That is one thing I am excited to use the Yamaha for because it has built in AirPlay and I won't need to use the Apple TV for listening to audio files.
post #243 of 258 Old 04-28-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
Trying a hard reset did not help me in the long run with my problems. And yes the very huge and overrated black bar along the bottom pops up all the time. Whoever designed that at Sony ES needs to be fired and maybe shot. Not only is the black bar HUGE which blocks what you are trying to see, but the only thing that the huge black bar displays is the input name, which is done in a very tiny 6 point font! If they were going to make the font so tiny, why did they make the black bar so huge? Nothing like turning to watch the Super Bowl, for example, and missing 5 seconds or more of all the action. My Sony 3000ES didn't do this. I know the 3100ES does do this. The 5000ES was brought out much later than the 3000ES and so it's more like a 5100ES, if that existed. So yeah my 5000ES does this too.

Another annoying thing that my 5000ES does, and this happened on my 3000ES receiver as well so I don't think it is a receiver issue, but I set the input for Apple TV. That then automatically turns my TV on which is annoying. I want to listen to music, not watch TV. So I immediately turn off the TV which turns off my audio for a few seconds. Then I have to restart the song. But I'm sure its the same with your TV, when you turn off the Sony TV it really doesn't turn completely off for at least 5 minutes or longer. So, I have to restart my song after turning off the TV and then about 5+ minutes later, I am listening to the song and when my TV decides to completely turn off, then I lose my audio again for about 5 seconds or more again. That is one thing I am excited to use the Yamaha for because it has built in AirPlay and I won't need to use the Apple TV for listening to audio files.
I use a Sonos connect as a music source and the Music Connect feature works pretty well with it. FWIW.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #244 of 258 Old 04-28-2019, 05:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I use a Sonos connect as a music source and the Music Connect feature works pretty well with it. FWIW.
My plan is to use my new Yamaha receiver with all my attachments. The Sony 5000ES that I plan to keep will be for audio use. It has a basic 4K TV hooked to it so I can navigate the menus, but it really isn't used for video.

I'm going to use the Fire TV Stick and Apple TV and Xbox One S with the Yamaha receiver. If everything works fine without any issues, I'll know the Sony ES was the problem. If I continue to have problems, I'll know it is my Sony 4K HDTV that is causing the problems. And, if I hate the Yamaha receiver, then I'll go back to keeping both Sony 5000ES receivers.

The Yamaha offers it's own AirPlay. I have over 16,000 songs on iTunes on a MacBook Pro, so AirPlay is important to me, but sending them through the Apple TV without the TV being on gives me issues that I explained in the previous post. Yamaha has MusicCast and a bunch of streaming software that I'll mess around with and try to learn.

There is no perfect receiver out there. For example, even if everything works fine on my 5000ES, I still get that huge bar at the bottom that says in very little print what input I am on. It blocks the TV picture and it takes forever to go away and that is just normal for the receiver. I'm sure I'm going to have things that I don't like on the Yamaha too.

My problems that I have on my 5000ES are very rare and hardly ever occur and I can live with them. My biggest complaint with the Sony ES series is that it offers NO management of subwoofers. No Sub EQ, No Sub Trim, no Bass Boost, etc...... That is why I got the Yamaha receiver. But I still love the 5000ES.
post #245 of 258 Old 05-28-2019, 06:47 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Infinity surrounds popping with ZA1100ES and ZA810ES

Sorry for the long post, but please bear with me...

My Infinity Reference RS152 surrounds usually pop when I turn my ZA/ES receiver on and the relay kicks in. I've posted on the Infinity thread, but wanted to seek help here as well.

My entire HT setup consists of Infinity's most recent Reference line. I've tested things with a Sony ZA1100ES and two different ZA810ES receivers (one out-of-the-box new) with the same results, always when the power relay engages. So if the receiver comes into play, it must be a Sony ES thing, although I've tested things with Atlantic Technology and Polk Audio speakers and they work perfectly with these receivers.

I've tried lowering the volume before turning things off, muting, switching to every different setting I can think of, turning off all surround settings (leaving on the front stereo speakers only), plugged the receiver into different outlets, swapped out HDMI cables, unplugged the sub, w/ and w/o banana clips, swapped out speaker wire (14AWG for 12AWG), etc., and I'm out of options. Even if I plug the surrounds into the front speaker terminals, they still pop. No matter what I've tried, after the receiver has been off for several hours (usually overnight ), when I turn it on, the RS152s will pop - often quite loudly.

What's most perplexing to me is, if I unplug the speaker terminals from the back of the receiver after it's been off for several hours (but before turning the receiver on), and touch the leads together, the speaker will pop. None of my other Infinity speakers do this. It does not matter whether the RS152s were plugged into the front speaker terminals or the rear surround terminals, they often pop if I unplug and touch the leads together after hours of non-use.

How do passive speakers store power the discharge it without being plugged into anything? The fact that the speaker pops when I touch the leads together tells me the problem is indeed with the speaker and not the (multiple) receivers I've tried, but I'm wondering if the Sonys are contributing to the problem. Is there some sort of power discharge that receivers are supposed to do that is not occuring with the Sonys?

As near as I can tell, this only happens after receivers have been turned off for a few hours, usually overnight. The longer things are off, the louder, more energetic the pop. BUT because the pop comes from both speakers makes me think it's more than just getting a lemon (because it would mean I got two lemon speakers with the exact same problem).

Is it possible that SonyES and Infinity surrounds is just a bad marriage? Three receivers and two speakers, all with the same results. Not sure what else to think.

I'm completely confused by the whole thing. Anybody else experience popping with their surrounds? Ideas?
post #246 of 258 Old 05-28-2019, 10:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdwin View Post
Sorry for the long post, but please bear with me...

My Infinity Reference RS152 surrounds usually pop when I turn my ZA/ES receiver on and the relay kicks in. I've posted on the Infinity thread, but wanted to seek help here as well.

My entire HT setup consists of Infinity's most recent Reference line. I've tested things with a Sony ZA1100ES and two different ZA810ES receivers (one out-of-the-box new) with the same results, always when the power relay engages. So if the receiver comes into play, it must be a Sony ES thing, although I've tested things with Atlantic Technology and Polk Audio speakers and they work perfectly with these receivers.

I've tried lowering the volume before turning things off, muting, switching to every different setting I can think of, turning off all surround settings (leaving on the front stereo speakers only), plugged the receiver into different outlets, swapped out HDMI cables, unplugged the sub, w/ and w/o banana clips, swapped out speaker wire (14AWG for 12AWG), etc., and I'm out of options. Even if I plug the surrounds into the front speaker terminals, they still pop. No matter what I've tried, after the receiver has been off for several hours (usually overnight ), when I turn it on, the RS152s will pop - often quite loudly.

What's most perplexing to me is, if I unplug the speaker terminals from the back of the receiver after it's been off for several hours (but before turning the receiver on), and touch the leads together, the speaker will pop. None of my other Infinity speakers do this. It does not matter whether the RS152s were plugged into the front speaker terminals or the rear surround terminals, they often pop if I unplug and touch the leads together after hours of non-use.

How do passive speakers store power the discharge it without being plugged into anything? The fact that the speaker pops when I touch the leads together tells me the problem is indeed with the speaker and not the (multiple) receivers I've tried, but I'm wondering if the Sonys are contributing to the problem. Is there some sort of power discharge that receivers are supposed to do that is not occuring with the Sonys?

As near as I can tell, this only happens after receivers have been turned off for a few hours, usually overnight. The longer things are off, the louder, more energetic the pop. BUT because the pop comes from both speakers makes me think it's more than just getting a lemon (because it would mean I got two lemon speakers with the exact same problem).

Is it possible that SonyES and Infinity surrounds is just a bad marriage? Three receivers and two speakers, all with the same results. Not sure what else to think.

I'm completely confused by the whole thing. Anybody else experience popping with their surrounds? Ideas?
Don't apologize for long posts. I'm the KING of long posts. I believe the more details the better. I usually hang around this thread because I have been able to answer most people's questions. I owned a STR-ZA3000ES and I now own two STR-ZA5000ES receivers. I recently got a Yamaha RX-A3060 as well. I own a pair of Klipsch RF-7 speakers which are very big $3000/pr speakers. I run my speakers with an external amp because even the 5000ES cannot provide enough power to them. My receiver pops every time I turn it on, but only because the external amp is already on. And yes, it does this with the Yamaha receiver as well. In the case of my "pop", it is because it's a analog amp converting to a digital receiver. If I turned on the receiver first and the external amp second, then I get no pop. But, that would require me to get off my lazy butt and turn on and off the external amp, so I deal with the pop.

I don't have a solution to your problem so I am going to recommend someone who can tell you what is going on. Call up a place called Speaker Workshop. The owner will answer the phone or if you ask a question, then the owner will get on the phone. He usually answers it unless his 80 year old parents answer it. He is a difficult guy on the phone because time is money. He also runs a very big outfit and he trusts NOBODY to touch anything so he does all the work himself and he is world renowned for his work. You can tell him you have a Sony ES receiver and I don't know what he is going to say about that. Him and I don't agree on everything. He loves the older stuff and isn't a fan of any new receivers. And Sony ES had some good years and also had some bad years. I don't think he is aware that I own two Sony ES 5000's. Focus on your speakers and tell him what exact model Infinity's you have and then tell him what problem you are experiencing and then quickly let him know that it has done this on several different receivers.

I honestly don't see how you are happy running your speakers on an internal receiver amp. And I know you are using a lower grade ES receiver because only the 3000 series and 5000 series support external amps. My speakers sound flat even on my Sony 5000ES with 140WPC or my Yamaha with 150WPC. My external amp which can be found used on Ebay for under $500 really makes my speakers come alive. Maybe your speakers are smaller than I am thinking? I am imagining big speakers.....

Call Speaker Workshop and talk to Tom. 260-426-8742. Also, lookup SPEAKER WORKSHOP on Facebook and LIKE his page. You'll see a big building with a Pepsi machine outside. You can read all about the business. He literally lives there and has devoted his life to doing this. He will be able to tell you why your particular pair of speakers are doing what they are doing. He rebuilds speakers all day long. Tell him Ted Hontz said hi. He has been wanting to get his hands on a pair of my original Klipsch Heresy with risers. This will definitely answer your question without you having to open up any more receivers. If you like the new series ES receivers, I'd recommend settling with a 3100ES or a 5000ES. You can get one on Ebay for a surprisingly affordable price. Then I recommend an external amp. PM me if you want to go this route so I can recommend what external amp to get.
post #247 of 258 Old 06-04-2019, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedhontz View Post
Don't apologize for long posts. I'm the KING of long posts. I believe the more details the better. I usually hang around this thread because I have been able to answer most people's questions. I owned a STR-ZA3000ES and I now own two STR-ZA5000ES receivers. I recently got a Yamaha RX-A3060 as well. I own a pair of Klipsch RF-7 speakers which are very big $3000/pr speakers. I run my speakers with an external amp because even the 5000ES cannot provide enough power to them. My receiver pops every time I turn it on, but only because the external amp is already on. And yes, it does this with the Yamaha receiver as well. In the case of my "pop", it is because it's a analog amp converting to a digital receiver. If I turned on the receiver first and the external amp second, then I get no pop. But, that would require me to get off my lazy butt and turn on and off the external amp, so I deal with the pop.

I don't have a solution to your problem so I am going to recommend someone who can tell you what is going on. Call up a place called Speaker Workshop. The owner will answer the phone or if you ask a question, then the owner will get on the phone. He usually answers it unless his 80 year old parents answer it. He is a difficult guy on the phone because time is money. He also runs a very big outfit and he trusts NOBODY to touch anything so he does all the work himself and he is world renowned for his work. You can tell him you have a Sony ES receiver and I don't know what he is going to say about that. Him and I don't agree on everything. He loves the older stuff and isn't a fan of any new receivers. And Sony ES had some good years and also had some bad years. I don't think he is aware that I own two Sony ES 5000's. Focus on your speakers and tell him what exact model Infinity's you have and then tell him what problem you are experiencing and then quickly let him know that it has done this on several different receivers.

I honestly don't see how you are happy running your speakers on an internal receiver amp. And I know you are using a lower grade ES receiver because only the 3000 series and 5000 series support external amps. My speakers sound flat even on my Sony 5000ES with 140WPC or my Yamaha with 150WPC. My external amp which can be found used on Ebay for under $500 really makes my speakers come alive. Maybe your speakers are smaller than I am thinking? I am imagining big speakers.....

Call Speaker Workshop and talk to Tom. 260-426-8742. Also, lookup SPEAKER WORKSHOP on Facebook and LIKE his page. You'll see a big building with a Pepsi machine outside. You can read all about the business. He literally lives there and has devoted his life to doing this. He will be able to tell you why your particular pair of speakers are doing what they are doing. He rebuilds speakers all day long. Tell him Ted Hontz said hi. He has been wanting to get his hands on a pair of my original Klipsch Heresy with risers. This will definitely answer your question without you having to open up any more receivers. If you like the new series ES receivers, I'd recommend settling with a 3100ES or a 5000ES. You can get one on Ebay for a surprisingly affordable price. Then I recommend an external amp. PM me if you want to go this route so I can recommend what external amp to get.

Ted, thanks so much for all the info and insight. I'm waiting to hear back from Infinity. I'm pleased with their customer service as they are pretty responsive thus far. I will definitely give Tom a call if Infinity runs out of options. I have indeed been keeping an eye on ebay for the last several months for all things ZAxxxxES. Mostly just to dream about what could be. Unfortunately, I live in a townhome so I'm already pushing my neighbors' patience and understanding to extreme levels. Looking forward to the day I can have a house with a proper mancave :-D
post #248 of 258 Old 06-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davdwin View Post
Ted, thanks so much for all the info and insight. I'm waiting to hear back from Infinity. I'm pleased with their customer service as they are pretty responsive thus far. I will definitely give Tom a call if Infinity runs out of options. I have indeed been keeping an eye on ebay for the last several months for all things ZAxxxxES. Mostly just to dream about what could be. Unfortunately, I live in a townhome so I'm already pushing my neighbors' patience and understanding to extreme levels. Looking forward to the day I can have a house with a proper mancave :-D
You might be surprised, I got two Sony ES 5000ES models and we aren't supposed to talk exact prices on here so I'll just say I got one for three digits brand new in box and I got another that was refurbished but MINT for a much lower three digit price. Everyone thinks the 5000ES is an older model but it's still the current model because it supports everything. I found 5000ES models for less than I could get a 3100ES for.

And yes I hear you on the neighbors part. I didn't realize you were talking about Infinity surround speakers. I thought you were talking about big main speakers. A receiver's internal wattage will be fine for those. I have 4 powered subwoofers, one in each corner and the neighbors probably aren't happy with them either. I haven't had any complaints but I try to keep them down late at night. I really wished I lived in the country. I have my man cave, but I'm in a subdivision. I think it would be quicker to call Tom and get an answer in a couple minutes than calling Infinity. Tom is a know-it-all and he knows it. He has been a part of many big projects but he designs everything and he tells people what exact equipment to get but then he doesn't do the work because he refuses to work with anyone else. He's done many NFL stadiums and he does a lot of concert halls. But he himself rebuilds and repairs concert speakers and equipment but he still makes time to do residential stuff as well. He is gifted but he won't give you much of his free time on the phone lol. But he will tell you why you are having that problem.
post #249 of 258 Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

I try to help on here when I can, but now I need your help everyone.

Last night I was messing with my subwoofers, AGAIN. I unplugged the subwoofers from the receiver's jacks in the back. Then later I replugged them in. Now tonight, my TV while on HDMI 3, it's showing the Amazon FireTV Stick but I'm not getting any audio! And then when I set the TV to HDMI 1, I can use any device and I get audio but I don't get any video at all.

My TV is a 4K 70" Sony and it has the message that says, "No signal. Check the external input or select another input using the INPUT button."

I figured I might've bumped or accidentally removed a cable. l checked and the HDMI cable is plugged in on the back of the receiver and at the TV.

Any suggestions????? And this is my 5000ES that was brand new in the box, not the refurb one. Maybe it's an HDMI cable, maybe something got damaged when I plugged the subwoofer jacks back in.

Help please!!
post #250 of 258 Old 06-10-2019, 10:27 PM
Advanced Member

Follow up to my post.

I put my HDMI ARC from receiver to HDMI 1 to HDMI 2 on TV. Still had no signal. I tried a different HDMI cable and that wasn't the problem.

I even push the HOME button on the receiver remote to show me the on screen display and I get nothing.

HOWEVER, when I push the TEST PICTURE button on the receiver remote, I do get colored bars but it says 480p/60Hz

So I'm about to hit the factory reset on the receiver, which I did NOT want to do. But, it's ok because I bought 4 new subwoofers and I'll have to reset it next week when I need to recalibrate everything. I also made a mess of my wires going from the receiver to the TV.

Ok. I just did a factory reset and now I have my picture back! So weird. But now I have lost all of my settings. I need to run mic calibration but I don't my theater room anywhere near ready to do that!

And in a week when the new subs get here, I'll have to run it again! But I want to listen to music in the meantime.

I'm glad I don't need a new TV or need to send the receiver in for service, but I have no idea what happened. I looked at the receiver remote and looked for any button that I might have accidentally pressed but I just don't see what I could've done.

Anyways I don't need help now, unless anyone can tell me what I did wrong to create this issue.
post #251 of 258 Old 06-12-2019, 07:36 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 219
Hello everyone, I hope this is the correct place to post this question. I’m trying to get HDMI-CEC or also called Bravia Sync to work with my Sony STR-ZA3100ES
7.2-channel home theater receiver. The TV I’m using is the new Sony A9G. I basically want to control the volume with my Apple TV remote or the Sony tv’s remote instead of using the AV receiver remote.

Here are some of the things I’ve already tried.

Sony TV- (Settings) - Display & Sound- Audio output - Audio system prioritization - On “Output sound from Bravia sync compatible external speakers if detected when the TV is powered on.”

AV Receiver- Setup - Can’t find the setting? However I found online under “General Features” this AV Receiver has - BRAVIA™️ Sync for one-remote. I just can’t find the setting.

I also made sure of that all firmware updates were done on both devices.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thx 😉

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Pioneer Elite VSX- 52 (A/V receiver)
Pioneer Elite BDP3FD (Blu-Ray) Player
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #252 of 258 Old 06-14-2019, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadTech51 View Post
Hello everyone, I hope this is the correct place to post this question. I’m trying to get HDMI-CEC or also called Bravia Sync to work with my Sony STR-ZA3100ES
7.2-channel home theater receiver. The TV I’m using is the new Sony A9G. I basically want to control the volume with my Apple TV remote or the Sony tv’s remote instead of using the AV receiver remote.

Sony TV- (Settings) - Display & Sound- Audio output - Audio system prioritization - On “Output sound from Bravia sync compatible external speakers if detected when the TV is powered on.”

AV Receiver- Setup - Can’t find the setting? However I found online under “General Features” this AV Receiver has - BRAVIA™️ Sync for one-remote. I just can’t find the setting.

Try going to the Menu on the receiver and look under HDMI set-up. I think what you are looking for is in there.
Incidentally, I have a a similar set-up (A1E and 2100ES). Have you ever noticed the receiver turning on by itself, usually within a few minutes of turning it off?

Thanks,

Dan

post #253 of 258 Old 06-14-2019, 11:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

Try going to the Menu on the receiver and look under HDMI set-up. I think what you are looking for is in there.
Incidentally, I have a a similar set-up (A1E and 2100ES). Have you ever noticed the receiver turning on by itself, usually within a few minutes of turning it off?
Hi yes I did try going under the HDMI set up but if you could be more specific what to look for? I couldn’t find anything related to Bravia Sync or HDMI-CEC.

I haven’t noticed anything strange with the receiver just turning on all by itself. However to be honest with you I usually just keep it on all the time. My unit is really new I haven’t had much time with it yet as well.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
Surround sound system: B&W (2) CM8's, (1) CENTER CHANNEL, (2) CM1 BOOKSHELF MONITORS's, (1) ASW10CM ACTIVE SUBWOOFER.
post #254 of 258 Old 06-14-2019, 10:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Greetings everyone, I just recently came in to a 1000ES. I am coming from a Pioneer 1222k which I had purring like a Bengal tiger. Granted, I haven't really messed around too much with the Sony, but after the VERY basic auto calib and changing something levels here and there, The bass is way to boomy and it just doesn't have a very "full" sound atmosphere to it. I changed the speakers to Small, crossover is set at 80 for the speakers, which I am assuming is the general crossover for the sub?

When I did the auto calib, it had my sub and front right speaker(which are right next to each other) 3 feet in distance apart(6 feet compare to 9 feet)

The options for customization are extremely basic but I was wondering if anyone could help with some of the options; ie. what is a no-no, what works for you, and what some of them actually are. Thank you.

Digital Legato Linear
Sound optimizer
Which Sound Field?
Pure Direct on or off?
Sub Low Pass Filter?
Dynamic Range Compressor

What is Auto Phase Matching?
Which calibration type is generally the best? Engineer?

post #255 of 258 Old 06-15-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Hi yes I did try going under the HDMI set up but if you could be more specific what to look for? I couldn’t find anything related to Bravia Sync or HDMI-CEC.

I haven’t noticed anything strange with the receiver just turning on all by itself. However to be honest with you I usually just keep it on all the time. My unit is really new I haven’t had much time with it yet as well.
RadTech,
Have you tried the settings in the apple tv too? I'm not sure how I set this up (not home right now) but my ATV remote does control the AVR volume.
On another note, I found that adjusting all of the settings via a web browser has been most beneficial. Off the top of my head, I know that under the HDMI section, there is a selection for "Control via HDMI". I'd play around on that page for a bit.

Thanks,

Dan

post #256 of 258 Old 06-15-2019, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sony 810ES, unable to play music in Zone 2 separate from Zone 1

I recently purchased a Sony 810ES receiver and Sony A9G OLED per the recommendation of a custom installer my dad is friends with.

I am happy with the sound quality, however i am perturbed after spending so much money that it is not allowing me to play Spotify through Zone 2 (outside speakers) while someone is inside watching TV on the main speakers.

Everytime i turn on Zone 2 and play spotify/apple airplay/any music source, it changes the main tuner to the same thing.

Is this something I am doing wrong or does anyone know what i need to do to fix it? I've read through the manual which states I should be able to do this but i have not been able to make it work. Thanks
post #257 of 258 Old 06-16-2019, 09:49 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Quote:

RadTech,
Have you tried the settings in the apple tv too? I'm not sure how I set this up (not home right now) but my ATV remote does control the AVR volume.
On another note, I found that adjusting all of the settings via a web browser has been most beneficial. Off the top of my head, I know that under the HDMI section, there is a selection for "Control via HDMI". I'd play around on that page for a bit.
Looks like I figured it out thank you. Under my Apple  TV settings I had to go “Home Theater Control > and then “Learn New Device” 😉
dannyk100 likes this.

Sharp Elite PRO- 70X5FD 
post #258 of 258 Old Today, 08:26 AM

[QUOTE=tedhontz;57966302]Trying a hard reset did not help me in the long run with my problems. And yes the very huge and overrated black bar along the bottom pops up all the time. Whoever designed that at Sony ES needs to be fired and maybe shot. Not only is the black bar HUGE which blocks what you are trying to see, but the only thing that the huge black bar displays is the input name, which is done in a very tiny 6 point font! If they were going to make the font so tiny, why did they make the black bar so huge? Nothing like turning to watch the Super Bowl, for example, and missing 5 seconds or more of all the action. My Sony 3000ES didn't do this. I know the 3100ES does do this. The 5000ES was brought out much later than the 3000ES and so it's more like a 5100ES, if that existed. So yeah my 5000ES does this too.

Hey Ted,
So, I was on the phone with Sony Support today about something and mentioned the black bar issue that you and I discussed some weeks ago. FYI, you can turn that bar/banner off in the set-up menu of the receiver (under Auto Display). The downside is that you also end up losing the visual feedback of a volume change when you adjust it). For me, its a small price to pay. Thought you may like to know.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc , Samsung , sony str-za1100es , STR-ZA1000ES

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page