2017 Sony ES Series: ZA5000ES / ZA3100ES / ZA2100ES / ZA1100ES / ZA810ES - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 65Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 257 Old 09-15-2016, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,348
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 968
2017 Sony ES Series: ZA5000ES / ZA3100ES / ZA2100ES / ZA1100ES / ZA810ES

Form Sony Site. (Thread Under construction)

Sony’s ES line of receivers are built for installers, inside and out. The ES series of receivers delivers the superior audio and video quality you expect from Sony and offers a suite of integration features for the custom installer: superior 4K device handling, ease of installation, third party certification, removable front panel, and multiple setup options. The ES receivers feature enhanced compatibility with leading control systems, intuitive web-based configurability, native HDCP 2.2 support and more. Sony’s highly regarded ES build quality features “Frame and Beam” full box construction that increases rigidity. When combined with the receiver’s off-set feet, this helps eliminate airborne vibration.

Installer-Friendly features

All of the expanded family of ES Audio-Video Receivers support network updates and include a multi-function Remote Commander that supports a variety of discrete operating codes. Also, all include Sony’s Auto Calibration technology, D.C.A.C. EX with Speaker Relocation. Utilizing a stereo microphone and 31 bands, D.C.A.C. EX compensates for less than ideal listening environments by closely simulating the sound field produced using optimally positioned and angled speakers. And a new feature called Phantom Surround Back provides a 7 channel surround experience with a 5 channel speaker configuration.

STR-ZA3100ES rear blogThe STR-ZA1100ES and above models support ihiji, a cloud-based network management solution, and are compatible with most common controllers, including Crestron Connected. The STR-ZA3100ES and STR-ZA2100ES models can decode up to 9 channels.

Superior Sound Quality

The STR-ZA3100ES, STR-ZA2100ES and STR-ZA1100ES models include a full range of convenient features that address virtually every system integrator’s premium audio quality requirements. All of the new ES receivers are compatible with both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and support a long list of legacy surround formats, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The receivers incorporate three powerful DSPs, which reduce noise and provide clear sound localization and ambience. These processors are mounted, together with a high-grade electrolytic capacitor, on the receiver’s power line to ensure an ample supply of clean power and optimal performance.

To further enhance sound quality, the new ES models utilize high capacity transformers with localized power supplies, low phase noise precision crystal oscillators, and sonically tuned audio grade resistors.

Advanced Video Quality

Each of the new ES models includes six HDMI inputs (except the-ZA1100ES, which has 5) and two outputs that provide full HDCP 2.2 compliance and supports the latest 4K 60p (4:4:4) Ultra HD content pass-through such as Ultra HD Blu-ray discs as well as video streaming in full 4K resolution and High Dynamic Range (HDR). It can also distribute both 4K video and multichannel audio simultaneously to two different zones. These new ES receivers are compatible with the new BT.2020 wide color gamut standard for future applications.

Additionally, the four new ES receivers can upscale video to 4K 24p.

Pricing and Availability

The new receivers are exclusive to the custom installer channel and with a 5-year limited parts and labor warranty. All four models will be available to dealers and the custom installer channel in spring 2017. Detailed specifications will be available in early 2017. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price and high-level specifications are as follows:

STR-ZA5000ES (current model), $2,799.99 msrp, 9 x 130w, 11ch Decode, HDMI (6/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 8 port switch (2 POE), Pre out, Aluminum panel, Crestron Connected, Supporting ihiji

STR-ZA3100ES
(new in 2017), $1,699.99 msrp, 7 x 110w, 9ch + Phantom 2ch Decode, HDMI (6/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 8 port switch (2 POE), Pre out, Crestron Connected, Supporting ihiji

STR-ZA2100ES (new in 2017), $1399.99, 7 x 105w, 9ch + Phantom 2ch Decode, HDMI (6/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 1 Ethernet, Crestron Connected, Supporting ihiji

STR-ZA1100ES (new in 2017), $999.99 msrp, 7 x 100w, 7ch + Phantom 2ch Decode, HDMI (5/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 1 Ethernet, Crestron Connected, Supporting ihiji

STR-ZA810ES (new in 2017), $799.99 msrp, 7 x 100w, 7ch + Phantom 2ch Decode, HDMI (6/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 1 Ethernet
helvetica bold is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 257 Old 09-15-2016, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,264
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 396
I have owned numerous Sony ES receivers and processors and non of them sounded good.
gbaby is offline  
post #3 of 257 Old 09-15-2016, 01:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,873
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I have owned numerous Sony ES receivers and processors and non of them sounded good.
You seem to be in the minority.

Every professional review regarding the Sony ES AVR just gushes over the sound.
tedhontz, Ulisescm and frank xbe like this.
New24K is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 257 Old 09-15-2016, 02:28 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,264
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
You seem to be in the minority.

Every professional review regarding the Sony ES AVR just gushes over the sound.
I don't understand it either. I have owned the TA-E9000ES, the TA-E1000ESD, the TA-E2000ESD, and the EP9ES. The latter, which was its cheapest, sounded better than all the others. From Sony ES, I went with Arcam, and now I am with Bryston.
gbaby is offline  
post #5 of 257 Old 09-15-2016, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,348
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 968
So will the ZA3100 and ZA2100 do 5.1.4 Atmos? Its a little confusing how its says "7 x 110w, 9ch " for the 3100.
helvetica bold is offline  
post #6 of 257 Old 09-15-2016, 07:17 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
MUDCAT45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,022
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I have owned numerous Sony ES receivers and processors and non of them sounded good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I don't understand it either. I have owned the TA-E9000ES, the TA-E1000ESD, the TA-E2000ESD, and the EP9ES. The latter, which was its cheapest, sounded better than all the others. From Sony ES, I went with Arcam, and now I am with Bryston.
You bought 4. I don't understand that either.
smurraybhm likes this.
MUDCAT45 is online now  
post #7 of 257 Old 09-18-2016, 04:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gbaby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 3,264
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 812 Post(s)
Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDCAT45 View Post
You bought 4. I don't understand that either.
Not all at one time. I purchased them separately over a period of time thinking I was upgrading.
gbaby is offline  
post #8 of 257 Old 09-21-2016, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Paulo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaby View Post
I have owned numerous Sony ES receivers and processors and non of them sounded good.


I guess that proves no 2 ears hear the same. I own a Sony STR-ZA1000ES and it sounds excellent.
tedhontz and Ulisescm like this.
Paulo72 is offline  
post #9 of 257 Old 09-21-2016, 08:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Paulo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I own the Sony STR-ZA1000ES. I love the sound, also not lacking in power, although only a 290W power supply. Speakers are JBL 5 Series (4 530's (6 ohm) , 1 520C (6 ohm), 1 550P. The 1100ES it states has 31 bands equalization, how many bands in the 1000ES? I've research this and there is no mention of it anywhere.
Paulo72 is offline  
post #10 of 257 Old 09-21-2016, 10:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
tommaazz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: SLOVENIA
Posts: 547
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked: 145
here is the review of the new 5000 series and it is very powerful and it seems it has a very good sound quality...too bad that the 3 series doesent have 9 ch amp... http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...okejzo6ylPL.97 i have owned the 840 qs series a decade ago and it was a very good and powerful receiver...also my brothers dn1050 sounds very good and he is very happy with it so i am sure those es are fantastic receivers

DENON AVR-X4300 running 5.2.4, monitor audio bx6,bx center,bx fx (4x),bx1,sub SVS sb13ultra (2x), SAMSUNG 65Q6FN, CPU AMD Ryzen5+RX580

Last edited by tommaazz; 09-21-2016 at 10:50 AM.
tommaazz is offline  
post #11 of 257 Old 09-21-2016, 02:01 PM
Member
 
mr.b1000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I own the str-za5000es! It is not lacking in power! The sound is great! Set up is very easy! It is not for a old fashion rack systems! It is an install receiver! You want candy buy candy!
mr.b1000 is offline  
post #12 of 257 Old 10-02-2016, 11:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 4,214
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by New24K View Post
Every professional review regarding the Sony ES AVR just gushes over the sound.

Yes, I've noticed this as well. Including one time by Michael Fremer who reviewed just the amp in the STR-DA5400ES receiver and gave it universal praise and the highest possible score.


I have owned many ES receivers over the years, and my ears love the sound they produce. In particular the tone quality of the highs, which have a unique tonal sheen signature that is distinctive and very pleasing (to me at least). I've owned high end Yamaha receivers (back in the 2000s) and did not find them to sound as good as Sony ES. I've been buying Sony ES receivers for over 10 years now, and my experience is the are well designed and very reliable. I also notice they run relatively cool compared to other brands I've had.
tedhontz and Ulisescm like this.
RWetmore is offline  
post #13 of 257 Old 10-02-2016, 12:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: WI
Posts: 2,873
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2325 Post(s)
Liked: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaazz View Post
here is the review of the new 5000 series and it is very powerful and it seems it has a very good sound quality...too bad that the 3 series doesent have 9 ch amp... http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...okejzo6ylPL.97 i have owned the 840 qs series a decade ago and it was a very good and powerful receiver...also my brothers dn1050 sounds very good and he is very happy with it so i am sure those es are fantastic receivers
Great review - as typical for Sony ES.
New24K is offline  
post #14 of 257 Old 10-02-2016, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,348
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Anyone using upward-firing Atmos speakers with the str-za5000es? Im a big fan of Sony audio, Ive owned the 1040 and currently I have the 1070 receiver. Looking to upgrade to Atmos and I really want the ZA5000ES its just a tad pricey. Im also considering the Marantz 6011 and the Denon X4300H. Both of those AVRs are 9 channel and $1000 cheaper.
helvetica bold is offline  
post #15 of 257 Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
RWetmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Brick, New Jersey
Posts: 4,214
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 625 Post(s)
Liked: 388
I agree the ZA5000ES seems overpriced.
RWetmore is offline  
post #16 of 257 Old 10-18-2016, 06:34 PM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
New 1.171 Firmware Update Available for STR-ZA5000ES

There is a new 1.171 firmware update available for the STR-ZA5000ES Receiver which was posted on the Sony support site on 10/11 and is also showing up when I do a software update check from the receiver itself. I was having some Roku Ultra HDMI issues and there are supposedly HDMI stability updates so I decided to perform a network update on the receiver. It took a bit to download the 17MB file (even over a wired connection) and has now been sitting at "Updating... 0%" for over an hour. I sure hope the update isn't hung-up because there are all kinds of warnings not to disconnect from power and that would be the only alternative. The update says it can take up to 100 minutes and I hope the percentage updated is just not changing as the update is progressing.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
post #17 of 257 Old 10-19-2016, 08:30 AM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLYDoggie View Post
There is a new 1.171 firmware update available for the STR-ZA5000ES Receiver which was posted on the Sony support site on 10/11 and is also showing up when I do a software update check from the receiver itself. I was having some Roku Ultra HDMI issues and there are supposedly HDMI stability updates so I decided to perform a network update on the receiver. It took a bit to download the 17MB file (even over a wired connection) and has now been sitting at "Updating... 0%" for over an hour. I sure hope the update isn't hung-up because there are all kinds of warnings not to disconnect from power and that would be the only alternative. The update says it can take up to 100 minutes and I hope the percentage updated is just not changing as the update is progressing.
My network update never completed... Just stayed at "Updating... 0%" for over 12 hours. It did the download OK but when it switched to apply the update, it hung. With all the warnings, I didn't want to cut power to reboot but did call Sony Support and they had me reboot. It did come back up at the old SW level. I decided on the second pass to do the update via USB and that worked as advertised. Don't know if there is a systemic problem with the network update or just an isolated incident but wanted to let everybody know my experience.
tedhontz likes this.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
post #18 of 257 Old 12-12-2016, 04:26 PM
Member
 
alex_l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know if Sony will offer their ES-series receivers outside of the US again?
alex_l is offline  
post #19 of 257 Old 02-08-2017, 11:18 AM
Member
 
touser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 46
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Has there been any updated info on when these will be released?
touser is offline  
post #20 of 257 Old 03-07-2017, 03:52 PM
Senior Member
 
SLYDoggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Nashville, TN
Posts: 486
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by touser View Post
Has there been any updated info on when these will be released?
Not sure about the other models but the 5000 unit has been available for a while. It was an early introduction in the previous year models which was carried forward.

Regards, Steve
Projector/Receiver - Sony VPL-VW1100ES 4K PJ & Sony STR-ZA5000ES 4K Atmos AVR
Media Devices - Panasonic DP-UB820 4K BR, Sony UBP-X800 4K BR, ATV 4K, and Roku 4K
Screen - 145" Dragonfly, 1.2 Gain, 16:9, Matte White Fixed Screen
Theater Remote/Cables - Universal MX-990 RF Remote, Monoprice Certified 18Gb HDMI Cables
SLYDoggie is offline  
post #21 of 257 Old 03-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Hastings, NE and NYC
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to jmcclendon
Quote:
Originally Posted by helvetica bold View Post
Form Sony Site. (Thread Under construction)

Sony’s ES line of receivers are built for installers, inside and out. The ES series of receivers delivers the superior audio and video quality you expect from Sony and offers a suite of integration features for the custom installer: superior 4K device handling, ease of installation, third party certification, removable front panel, and multiple setup options. The ES receivers feature enhanced compatibility with leading control systems, intuitive web-based configurability, native HDCP 2.2 support and more. Sony’s highly regarded ES build quality features “Frame and Beam” full box construction that increases rigidity. When combined with the receiver’s off-set feet, this helps eliminate airborne vibration.

Installer-Friendly features

All of the expanded family of ES Audio-Video Receivers support network updates and include a multi-function Remote Commander that supports a variety of discrete operating codes. Also, all include Sony’s Auto Calibration technology, D.C.A.C. EX with Speaker Relocation. Utilizing a stereo microphone and 31 bands, D.C.A.C. EX compensates for less than ideal listening environments by closely simulating the sound field produced using optimally positioned and angled speakers. And a new feature called Phantom Surround Back provides a 7 channel surround experience with a 5 channel speaker configuration.

STR-ZA3100ES rear blogThe STR-ZA1100ES and above models support ihiji, a cloud-based network management solution, and are compatible with most common controllers, including Crestron Connected. The STR-ZA3100ES and STR-ZA2100ES models can decode up to 9 channels.

Superior Sound Quality

The STR-ZA3100ES, STR-ZA2100ES and STR-ZA1100ES models include a full range of convenient features that address virtually every system integrator’s premium audio quality requirements. All of the new ES receivers are compatible with both Dolby Atmos and DTS:X and support a long list of legacy surround formats, including Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. The receivers incorporate three powerful DSPs, which reduce noise and provide clear sound localization and ambience. These processors are mounted, together with a high-grade electrolytic capacitor, on the receiver’s power line to ensure an ample supply of clean power and optimal performance.

To further enhance sound quality, the new ES models utilize high capacity transformers with localized power supplies, low phase noise precision crystal oscillators, and sonically tuned audio grade resistors.

Advanced Video Quality

Each of the new ES models includes six HDMI inputs (except the-ZA1100ES, which has 5) and two outputs that provide full HDCP 2.2 compliance and supports the latest 4K 60p (4:4:4) Ultra HD content pass-through such as Ultra HD Blu-ray discs as well as video streaming in full 4K resolution and High Dynamic Range (HDR). It can also distribute both 4K video and multichannel audio simultaneously to two different zones. These new ES receivers are compatible with the new BT.2020 wide color gamut standard for future applications.

Additionally, the four new ES receivers can upscale video to 4K 24p.

Pricing and Availability

The new receivers are exclusive to the custom installer channel and with a 5-year limited parts and labor warranty. All four models will be available to dealers and the custom installer channel in spring 2017. Detailed specifications will be available in early 2017. The manufacturer’s suggested retail price and high-level specifications are as follows:

STR-ZA5000ES (current model), $2,799.99 msrp, 9 x 130w, 11ch Decode, HDMI (6/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 8 port switch (2 POE), Pre out, Aluminum panel, Crestron Connected, Supporting ihiji

STR-ZA3100ES
(new in 2017), $1,699.99 msrp, 7 x 110w, 9ch + Phantom 2ch Decode, HDMI (6/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 8 port switch (2 POE), Pre out, Crestron Connected, Supporting ihiji

STR-ZA2100ES (new in 2017), $1399.99, 7 x 105w, 9ch + Phantom 2ch Decode, HDMI (6/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 1 Ethernet, Crestron Connected, Supporting ihiji

STR-ZA1100ES (new in 2017), $999.99 msrp, 7 x 100w, 7ch + Phantom 2ch Decode, HDMI (5/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 1 Ethernet, Crestron Connected, Supporting ihiji

STR-ZA810ES (new in 2017), $799.99 msrp, 7 x 100w, 7ch + Phantom 2ch Decode, HDMI (6/2), Dolby Atmos/DTS:X, HDR/HDCP2.2, 1 Ethernet
FYI to all. I just bought a brand new STR-ZA3000ES (last year's model) for almost 50% off and it sounds great. If you want a really good receiver, that also does a great job with SACD and two-channel, you should consider picking one of these up.
tedhontz likes this.
jmcclendon is offline  
post #22 of 257 Old 03-23-2017, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member
 
helvetica bold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: NYC
Posts: 2,348
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1596 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Im sure theses are all great AVRs and I really want the 5000es but they won't pass Dolby Vision so I won't be buying unless they add support. Ive see several DV film in the cinema and I'm sold on the format. Just needs content at home.
helvetica bold is offline  
post #23 of 257 Old 04-20-2017, 06:47 PM
Newbie
 
DROC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sony STR-ZA2100ES

I recently purchased this Sony STR-ZA2100ES receiver and was wondering if there was an App out there to use to control it. I can use the Ping feature to get IP Address and do it that way, but it is pretty clumsy. The Sony Apps I have found in the App store do not work with this model.

Any information would be great. Thanks.
DROC is offline  
post #24 of 257 Old 05-02-2017, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
fatuglyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: southern CA
Posts: 2,334
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked: 1062
Quote:
Originally Posted by DROC View Post
I recently purchased this Sony STR-ZA2100ES receiver and was wondering if there was an App out there to use to control it. I can use the Ping feature to get IP Address and do it that way, but it is pretty clumsy. The Sony Apps I have found in the App store do not work with this model.

Any information would be great. Thanks.
There's not a control app for these new ES AVRs, save for the ZA810ES, which is just a rebadged STR-DN1080 with a removable IEC.
The "true" ES AVRs (1100ES thru 5000ES) are pretty much built for the CI channel, meaning that generally they're intended to be controlled with a third-party control/automation system, which usually have their own app.

Still loving my 5000ES but hoping it gets an update for DV capability. Planning on deciding on either the Z9D or A1E before the year ends and would hate if my expensive new flagship AVR wasn't able to match the capability of my expensive new flagship TV.

movies Sony 65A1E|Sonus faber Toy, Toy Center, Venere Wall|SVS SB2000|Sony ZA5000ES|UDP 205/UB820|ATV 4K
music Sonus faber Liuto|REL S/5|Sony A1ES|Wadia 321|Sony SCD-777ES|Sony PS-HX500|Sonos Connect|AQ Niagara 5000
desk Sonus faber Toy monitor|REL T-Zero|Rega Brio|AQ Dragonfly Cobalt/Victoria|Mac mini|AQ PowerQuest 3
living Sony 65Z9D|B&W 706 S2/SF Chameleon B|Marantz 1508|ATV 4K|Panasonic UB900
fatuglyguy is offline  
post #25 of 257 Old 05-18-2017, 06:54 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 8
what are the differences between the ES models this year from last? Seems very similar to me. Like STR-ZA3100ES vs STR-ZA3000ES
upinsmokes is offline  
post #26 of 257 Old 07-23-2017, 03:23 PM
Member
 
AP-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just bought the str-za3100es. Been with Denon for over 10 years. This is my first Sony Receiver.

First I noticed it wasn't as heavy as my Denon 4311 that's going in another room. Hard to tell the difference in sound. However, I do prefer a warmer, full sound rather than bright highs.

Today I noticed the fan on the back of the Sony wasn't spinning. Is that normal?
AP-123 is offline  
post #27 of 257 Old 07-23-2017, 07:35 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post
There's not a control app for these new ES AVRs, save for the ZA810ES, which is just a rebadged STR-DN1080 with a removable IEC.
The "true" ES AVRs (1100ES thru 5000ES) are pretty much built for the CI channel, meaning that generally they're intended to be controlled with a third-party control/automation system, which usually have their own app.

Still loving my 5000ES but hoping it gets an update for DV capability. Planning on deciding on either the Z9D or A1E before the year ends and would hate if my expensive new flagship AVR wasn't able to match the capability of my expensive new flagship TV.
DV update has been confirmed by sony for the es pieces. Just a matter of time.
JP0117 is offline  
post #28 of 257 Old 07-23-2017, 07:38 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by upinsmokes View Post
what are the differences between the ES models this year from last? Seems very similar to me. Like STR-ZA3100ES vs STR-ZA3000ES
Dolby atmos
Dts x
Phantom surround back
Network update for all
31 bands peq
3 dsp chips for decoding
Stereo Mic

That's all I can think of...
JP0117 is offline  
post #29 of 257 Old 07-26-2017, 07:03 AM
Member
 
AP-123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 18
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP-123 View Post

Today I noticed the fan on the back of the Sony wasn't spinning. Is that normal?
Anyone else have a fan that's spinning or not on the back of their unit?
AP-123 is offline  
post #30 of 257 Old 09-11-2017, 05:29 PM
Senior Member
 
animeking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 439
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Do any of these 2017 receivers support DLNA?

Or do I have to get the DN1080 if I want networked music?
animeking is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
arc , Samsung , sony str-za1100es , STR-ZA1000ES

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off