Integra DRC-R1 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 82 Old 09-19-2016, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked: 164
Integra DRC-R1 Owner's Thread

Integra announced the DRC-R1 pre/pro for shipping later this month. If you go to the http://www.integrahometheater.com/Pr...urce=prodClass site, you will see that they even have 2 manuals available... basic and advanced. In neither manual do they answer the following questions:

1. What HDR profiles are supported?
2. Does streaming of .flac and .dsf files work only in 2 channels like older units or in multichannel?
3. Are container files such as .iso supported?
4. Why use 768khz and 384khz DAC chips but only support up to 192khz? No DXD?
5. Does the room correction decimate hi-res sources and if so, to what extent?
6. Why no AES inputs?
7. Is it possible to add Bluetooth support with any attachment?
8. Why support Fireconnect when there are no Fireconnect speakers out there?
9. Does your HDMI connection now announce DSD support to computers?
10. Do you have/supply an ASIO or WASAPI driver for your HDMI that supports DSD?
11. Why is your Ethernet input only 100Mbps when full 4k videos can have over 100Mbps rates?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 82 Old 10-03-2016, 11:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Bump to hopefully get answers
post #3 of 82 Old 10-20-2016, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Well I got some answers. I don't know if they are right though because I have not personally tested. I just relied upon tech support.

1. They have no intention of supporting DolbyVision HDR
2. Streaming is only done in 2 channels. No support of multi-channel streaming
3. Container files are NOT supported
4. 192Khz is the maximum supported data rate of PCM even though the onboard chipsets support 384khz or higher
5. AccuEQ decimates all audio to 48khz
6. No answer
7. Not able to add Bluetooth ever with external adapters
8. No answer
9. The HDMI on the unit does NOT announce DSD support to computer sources
10. No drivers will be supplied
11. Ethernet is only used for audio and control

The "Authorized" Integra dealers in my area are not even willing to stock this item to audition!
It looks like I will NOT be purchasing an Integra unit to replace my DHC-80.3

Last edited by mlknez; 10-20-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 82 Old 11-07-2016, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

OK, I actually purchased a unit because I couldn't get any straight answers from anyone at Integra...

1. Dolbyvision is not supported
2. DLNA on this unit only supports 2 channel audio. There is no smb (network share) navigation on this unit at all.
3. Container files are not supported
4. 192Khz is the maximum supported PCM and DSD512 is Maximum DSD. I don't understand as the fronts DAC supports 384khz and the surrounds 768khz
5. AccuEQ decimates and converts everything down to 48khz pcm
6.No balanced analog inputs (AES/EBU) because they are "legacy".
7. No Bluetooth or wifi adapters will be available. 3rd parties do provide these
8. Fireconnect speakers will be available in the future from Harmon, nobody else?
9. A computer only sees the HDMI port as a valid PCM target. DSD not supported. Multichannel PCM is supported up to 192khz.
10. No ASIO drivers supplied to make HDMI work with all music files on Windows computers
11. Ethernet is only used for Audio and Control so 100Mbps is sufficient.

Some additional notes
1. AccuEQ is very poor and decimates all hi-res sources
2. They claim that this preamp will be a chromecast target but it is promised as a future firmware update feature
3. Tidal support functions but is very slow
4. All network functions are very slow
5. Also no Tape/VCR loops. I guess no one wants to record anymore
6 Fireconnect seems useless
7. Until they provide a USB B connector, using a computer as a source is useless (isn't this 2016?)
8. All updates since 2011 (DHC-80.3) are for theater use, not music.
post #5 of 82 Old 11-13-2016, 07:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 11
It doesn't appear to be lots of units out there, but initial impressions don't seem too encouraging. I'm hoping to get something soon and thought this would be it. I'll wait until there's more feedback.
post #6 of 82 Old 11-25-2016, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
my Integra DRX-R1 experience

Several weeks ago I got an Integra DRX-R1 "Research Series" receiver. Integra decided to bring back their "Research Series" for 2016, which is comprised of their premier units with the most modern tech available from Integra.

Here is the link, from which you can read about the specs to your heart's delight:
http://www.integrahometheater.com/Pr...urce=prodClass

My goal is not to review all the (many) features, but rather to give you my impressions so far.

My old receiver was a ~16 year old Marantz SR18-EX, which was an excellent receiver that was top-of-the-line back in its day. It has tons of features, a plethora of connections, 5.1 speaker support, pre-amp out for 7.1, and 130 watts of relatively good power, especially for a receiver. It also weights 53.9 pounds. Unfortunately, even though the unit works great, its lack of HDMI and lack of support for newer formats (both video and audio) meant it needed to be replaced.

The room in which I watch TV is relatively small, so I have no desire t go beyond 5.1, so my opinions are based on my 5.1 and 2.1 experiences. My speaker configuration is as follows:
-NHT 2.9 front left and front right
-NHT AC2 center
-crappy Bose dual cubes for rear left and rear right (they came pre-wired in the house and we don't plan on staying here for long)
-Velodyne DD18 subwoofer

Physically, the DRX-R1 is about the same size as the SR-18EX. Interestingly, the the DRX-R1 weighs less (49.6 pounds).

Physically setting up the unit was as simple/complex as any receiver. Everything is well labeled on the rear panel, and I encountered no issues. The unit comes with the "basic" manual, which is just that - very basic. The name would imply there is a more "advanced" manual, but it is not included, nor is there a self-evident link on the Integra website. To find the "advanced" manual you have to find the direct link on the first page of the "basic" manual, which points to a PDF on the Integra page, which was annoying.

Configuring the unit is relatively easy, but you really need/want the "advanced" manual to define all the various options. I did not figure out where the "advanced" manual link was hidden until I made a call to Integra support and had the technician review all the settings for which I had questions. Integra/Onkyo support is friendly and helpful - I called them many times over the first few days.

Speaker configuration was initially stock with respect to crossover levels. Since I have the channels available, I went ahead and bi-amped the 2.9's even though it is of questionable effect.

Per Integra support, I accepted the default settings initially. Unfortunately, as I put the receiver through its paces I found that I could not take the volume past 75 - all sound would cut out and the receiver would display "SP CHECK" on the front panel. My SR-18EX ran the existing speakers with the existing wiring fine for over 4 years, so I was afraid the DRX-R1 unit was faulty.

I called Integra support, and we went through disconnecting and testing each speaker individually, then adding them one at a time. It turns out that having BOTH rear speakers plugged in caused the issue - having just one plugged in (either left or right) worked fine, but running both caused the unit to "SP CHECK." I have a pair of NHT 1.5's that I will use as my "good" rear speakers when we move to a location in which I want to invest, and they were able to handle volume levels past 75 without causing the receiver to freak out.

Both Integra and the AV shop from which I purchased the receiver believed the issue to be with my wiring or the rear speakers themselves, so I called a local AV shop to come evaulate the situation. The technician solved the problem in 5 minutes - the Bose speakers did not like the crossover frequency setting that was the default (80Hz), and worked fine once we boosted this to the highest frequency possible (200Hz).

By way of information, I set the crossover on the 2.9's to 60Hz, 120Hz on the AC2, 200Hz on the Bose cubes, and the LPF to 120Hz.

Once this hiccup was solved I went ahead and ran AccuEQ. During the days of configuration I somehow lost the microphone, and during one of my calls to Integra support I mentioned this. They sent me a new microphone free of charge, and it arrived the day I found the missing microphone... Kudos to Integra/Onkyo support. AccuEQ worked relatively well - it was very accurate in determining speaker distance, and the level adjustments seemed accurate as well (I do not have an SPL to verify). My personal preference is for more bass than it configured, and I also prefer my rears at a higher level than it configured, but it was a good way to get started. As an aside, I tuned the DD18 first via its microphone/GUI, then did AccuEQ.

Performance-wise, the unit works well and sounds good. Perhaps it is 16 years of SR-18EX use, but I think the Marantz's power was cleaner/better, but only by a little. By default, the DRX-R1 output set set to "Dolby Surround" regardless of the input signal. I set my SR-18EX to "auto" so that it would play the audio "correctly," and did the same to the DRX-R1 (via the "straight decode" setting). This led to an unsatisfactory experience. Whereas the SR-18EX would silently switch to the correct format seemlessly, the DRX-R1 experiences a half-second silence along with an audible click from the receiver itself. This was not an issue when watching movies, where the audio format was static, but when watching TV via my TiVo it led to a lot of changes, especially as commercials evidently use different audio formats, and caused the receiver to be silent and click many times in just a few minutes of viewing. Thus, I used the "Dolby Surround" defaults on the TiVo and "straight decode" on the BluRay player. When listening to music I force the unit to stereo mode.

Movies and music sound good, as good as my SR-18EX, which was my hope. Although packed with tons of features, it does lack one feature that I will miss from my SR-18EX - optical out. I connected a set of wireless headphones to the SR-18EX's optical out, which mirrored the current audio to that output. Thus, I could mute the speakers and use the headphones to listen to whatever was on the TV. The DRX-R1 lacks such a feature, but it is by no means a deal-breaker.

Overall, I am pleased with the DRX-R1. It has tons of features, many of which I will not be using for a while (e.g., Atmos, multi-room, etc.). With the exceptions of the hiccups mentioned, it is easy to set up and use. Firmware updates are simple, AirPlay works fine (no video, just audio), configuration is not too difficult, and support is great.

Is it worth $3,000? I hope so... Buying leading edge ~16 years ago got me a great receiver in the SR-18EX that I truly enjoyed. My hope is that the DRX-R1 will not only have the features to which I want to expand over the years but also be of sufficient quality to give me many years of problem-free use. I admittedly could have spent far less for the features I currently use, so I legitimize the expense according to those aforementioned factors. Time will tell...

Last edited by jgranto; 11-26-2016 at 08:35 AM.
post #7 of 82 Old 12-12-2016, 03:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Thanks. I've been looking at this unit for an upgrade as well, my installer highly recommends it. Good to hear that you like it.

My main concerns are:

- Compatibility with future Dolby Vision 4K. There was an earlier thread where Integra support waffled on this.

- Audyssey versus AccuEQ

Keep us posted on your new Integra.
post #8 of 82 Old 12-12-2016, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by analog8 View Post
Thanks. I've been looking at this unit for an upgrade as well, my installer highly recommends it. Good to hear that you like it.

My main concerns are:

- Compatibility with future Dolby Vision 4K. There was an earlier thread where Integra support waffled on this.

- Audyssey versus AccuEQ

Keep us posted on your new Integra.
Hello. I just bought the drc-r1 and I'll will just say it is a beast. Especially at higher volume levels it gets crazy clean ,def outshines my previous 80.3 which I thought would be hard to do. The accuEQ works absolutely fine,no worries there
post #9 of 82 Old 03-08-2017, 04:13 PM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 693 Post(s)
Liked: 676
Question

Any further comments ???

Terry
post #10 of 82 Old 04-24-2017, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Is there a better alternative close to this price point, like the Marantz AV7703?
post #11 of 82 Old 05-23-2017, 06:39 PM

I just purchased a DRC-R1 receiver.

Do you guys recommend the direct audio option when playing Blu Ray movies?

What do you also cross over your subs at, it allows up to 120HZ, not sure if I should put it on 80 or 120Hz
post #12 of 82 Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idred View Post
I just purchased a DRC-R1 receiver.

Do you guys recommend the direct audio option when playing Blu Ray movies?

What do you also cross over your subs at, it allows up to 120HZ, not sure if I should put it on 80 or 120Hz
You should use the room correction multichannel mode when watching movies.

Sub crossover depends upon the low frequency response of your other speakers. You don't arbitrarily set it at some certain value.

This unit is a pre/pro not a receiver

Last edited by mlknez; 05-24-2017 at 09:17 AM.
post #13 of 82 Old 05-25-2017, 01:22 AM

Thanks,

I heard the accuEQ is not good, should I really use this?
post #14 of 82 Old 05-27-2017, 05:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Thanks,

In a multichannel movie environment, you should always engage room correction unless you have manually tuned the room with diffusers, dampeners, and such. Why did you purchase this particular unit if a major feature was not up to snuff?
post #15 of 82 Old 05-28-2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknez View Post
In a multichannel movie environment, you should always engage room correction unless you have manually tuned the room with diffusers, dampeners, and such. Why did you purchase this particular unit if a major feature was not up to snuff?
I just always thought these room correction things were a selling gimmick but made things worse. I remember I tried one on my car stereo like 20 years ago and it made everything sound worse.

I don't think you can buy an ATMOS receiver without room correction anyway, they all include it.

I also thought I heard people complaining about the accuEQ in general, saying it sucked.
post #16 of 82 Old 01-04-2018, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Wanted to follow up on this thread, I got my Integra DRX-R1 installed last month and loving it so far. Excellent sound, the app works great (way slicker than LG's hideous app) and they updated it to support Dolby Vision. It's driving a 5.1.4 Atmos system for me, mostly for 4K content, plus Zone 2 for the house.

I noticed a few things:

- Tidal support is buggy. I use Tidal a lot and the Integra support is OK but it refuses to play some albums, or songs from those albums if they are in a playlist. A good example is Tron Legacy from Daft Punk. Anyone else see this problem?

- When you have video coming through ARC, the 'Show audio/video' panel in the app shows UNKNOWN instead of something useful

- I've been getting a few dropouts when watching UHD bluray, need to figure out if that is cabling or something else.

I'm on the Dec 2017 firmware update (2099-3000-4040-0008)
post #17 of 82 Old 01-08-2018, 08:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 441
I’m thinking of upgrading to Atmos this year and this AVR is one that I’m considering. Is this the only thread on AVS that discuss this AVR? I was expecting to have to read dozens of pages on this unit. If there’s another thread, can someone direct me to it. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Man cave-Marantz 8012, Oppo 203, 4K ATV, Sony XBR-75X940E, Bluesound Vault 2, Harmony One, 2 Paradigm Monitor 9's, CC-390, 2ADP 390's/190's, 2 PDR 100's,
4 SVS Prime elevations. B&W P5. Living room- Yamaha 2010, Bluesound Node 2, Paradigm SE-1's, Zone 2-Paradigm-Stylus 370-SM. B&W PX for travel
Bedroom- Samsung UN60ES7100F, Oppo 103D, Pulse Mini, JBL Bar Studio, ATV3 and Harmony 650
post #18 of 82 Old 01-12-2018, 05:12 PM
Advanced Member

You won't find a ton of info on Integra here because it's sold only via the AV installer channel, whereas many people here are a bit more DIY minded.

Integra is an Onkyo brand and of course functionally much of the tech is the same. I've had store brand AVR's in the past and I'm happy with the Integra.

Integra announced an updated model DRX-R1.1 at CEDIA last year. It was supposed to ship late 2017 but their website is still silent about it so I presume they missed their ship date. Probably worth asking your installer about though. I got a great deal on my DRX-R1 since my main concern was Dolby Vision support which Integra delivered in a firmware update.

LMK if I can answer any questions. There are some good reviews out there for the DRX-R1 as well.
post #19 of 82 Old 02-02-2018, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

For the record, Integra DRX-R1 firmware released 1/29 (version 2109-4000-4050-0008) has resolved the Tidal issues I was having (e.g. unable to play albums like the Tron Legacy soundtrack).

I wish they would post their full bugfix list in their release notes.
post #20 of 82 Old 02-14-2018, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Integra DRC-R1

Hi. i can t adjust EQ - Settings on my Integra DRC - R1 can some on help me??
i use latest firmware.

Patn
post #21 of 82 Old 03-07-2018, 05:09 PM
Advanced Member

Also should note the HDMI dropouts I was having with 4K/UHD have stopped, it may have been a bad cable or some combo of Oppo/Integra/LG firmware that has been updated. Integra has been updating their mobile app to address bugs as well.

Super happy with this receiver. Looking forward to adding a second sub.
post #22 of 82 Old 03-19-2018, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know the major differences between the R1 and R1.1 besides the 4k over cat5/6?

Trying to decide which to buy....
post #23 of 82 Old 03-20-2018, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSun View Post
Anyone know the major differences between the R1 and R1.1 besides the 4k over cat5/6?

Thats all

Take a look at the Marantz 8805 instead.
post #24 of 82 Old 04-08-2018, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSun View Post

Good question, it's not clear what other new features there are. There is a new review of the .1 models at https://www.audioholics.com/av-recei...1-and-drc-r1.1

Integra just put out a firmware update for most of the 2016 units (2109-5000-4050-0008, released on 4/4/18) to 'reduce noise on USB and NET music playback'. I had noticed some popping on Tidal which is now gone. Get it at http://www.integrahometheater.com/Do...s/firmware.php

Allegedly my DRX-R1 supports MQA on Tidal but there's no visual indication of MQA working. I asked my dealer to ask Integra about it. Does anyone know if it's actually been implemented?

Also, this bug is still there in the mobile app. Would be nice if Integra could fix it.

- When you have audio coming through HDMI ARC, the 'Show audio/video' panel in the app shows UNKNOWN for the audio format instead of something useful

Last edited by analog8; 04-15-2018 at 10:56 AM.
post #25 of 82 Old 04-19-2018, 04:08 AM

Hi everyone.

Just purchased the DRC R1.1

I am extremely happy with the sound quality; however, sometimes the sound from the TV does not play through the pre-amp and sometimes it does.

I have an LG OLED C7 and the HDMI Cable is a Soniq HDMI 2.0 certified cable for 4K UHD which goes from the HDMI ARC port on the TV to the HDMI Main Out on the Pre-Amp. ARC is enabled on both devices.

When I switch on the TV the Pre-Amp comes on automatically as it should but most times no Audio comes through from the TV only even though HDMI is selected as the output on the TV. I have tried the following work-arounds which seem to fix the problem temporarily until it is switched off but it is becoming frustrating as this occurs regularly and I always have to resort to these methods for the sound to work.

1. Changing source to Blu Ray Player and starting up a disc and then switching back to TV as source sometimes fixes the problem. (No changing of cables).

2. Pulling out the HDMI cable and putting the same one back in fixes it.

3. Swapping cables with an inferior HDMI v. 1.4 fixes the issue. Then I put in the original HDMI v 2.0 cable and it all works fine ...until I switch it off again.

For a unit that cost me my left kidney this really is frustrating

If any of you know whats going on or have experienced the same issues, I could certainly find some solace in reading your theories.

Btw I have emailed Integra support and am waiting for their reply.

Cheers guys.
post #26 of 82 Old 06-06-2018, 09:48 PM
Advanced Member

Integra just pushed a firmware update for all of the DRX and DRC receivers plus others.

Version 2119-6000-4060-0010

Get it from http://www.integrahometheater.com/Do...s/firmware.php or via the NET download option on the receiver.

Changelog

1. Adds support for Sonos Connect (Sonos Connect required)
2. Minor bug fixes and improvements

Not fixed based on my unit

- When audio coming in through HDMI ARC, the 'Show audio/video' panel in the app shows UNKNOWN for the audio format

Also, it's still not clear where Integra is at on MQA support for Tidal. It was first announced in 2016 but there is no mention of it in the manual. The entire Tidal UI is quite confusing, it's not clear what the MODE or the (...) icon mean or how you use them.

(e.g. http://www.integrahometheater.com/pressreleases.php lists MQA support six times, plus https://www.twice.com/product/integr...oom-avrs-61769 and https://hdguru.com/integra-unveils-d...receiver-line/)

Last edited by analog8; 06-06-2018 at 09:53 PM.
post #27 of 82 Old 06-06-2018, 09:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by abumuqaatil View Post
When I switch on the TV the Pre-Amp comes on automatically as it should but most times no Audio comes through from the TV only even though HDMI is selected as the output on the TV..

I've seen this once or twice. My solution is to reset the Integra receiver by holding down the power button for about five seconds. When you reboot it, HDMI ARC should return.

Also, check what firmware your receiver is on, because I haven't seen it for a while so it may have been a bug in an earlier release.
post #28 of 82 Old 06-06-2018, 10:53 PM

Thank you for your input Analog8. It still happens intermittently but changing the input to Blu Ray and playing some sound and then reverting it back to TV seems to be the most reliable way to fix it. However thanks for posting about the Firmware update..I haven't installed the latest release and will report back once it's flashed.

Cheers
analog8 likes this.
post #29 of 82 Old 07-10-2018, 06:51 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks,

I don't have much experience with other applications that do a similar job, but at a minimum it is good for determining speaker distance. I always adjust speaker volume levels to meet my personal preference - what AccurEQ sets for volume I use as a recommendation (I always bump center volume a bit, and rear volume a lot).
post #30 of 82 Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
So what I'm getting from most of this thread is the DRC-R1 is having some problems. So should I upgrade to it from my 80.3? Wait till they sort out their issues? Or look at another brand's processor (Marantz?).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
drx-r1 , Integra , receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page