AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   Receivers, Amps, and Processors (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/)
-   -   New Yamaha TSR 5810 / RXV 581 in stores (https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2585833-new-yamaha-tsr-5810-rxv-581-stores.html)

Mkard 09-19-2016 01:43 PM

New Yamaha TSR 5810 / RXV 581 in stores

Hi all, I need a little perspective here.

Local Costco has the TSR-5810 7.2ch just arrived on the shelf now. Only AVR they have had in 4 or 5 months. Same price as last year's model too. Spouse likes the peace-of-mind of buying from Costco w/ extra year warranty, but...

I can't find any real information at Yamaha website, but it looks like last year's rx-v 579 shifting everything to Atmos and music share(?). Well under 20-lbs total, I get the feeling Yamaha spent their (my) money on license fees.

I am still looking for an AVR for my family room, and this will certainly do my easy to drive Paradigm Bookshelves even if I ask it to do Surrounds from 5 or 6 on the front wall only. I can't help but feel that the RX-V 779 (multi point YPAO) at less than $1/2-bill more would be a better audio value. Newegg needs to come down a little for me to pull that trigger. Maybe hold out for a stray RX-A 840 ... ?

Any input would help me to focus my efforts.

Thanks.

Mike

Mkard 09-20-2016 12:49 PM

Hiya,

Just giving it a bump.

Mkard

treelimbjim 09-20-2016 03:15 PM

The TSR-5810 caught my eye. Didn't jump fast enough when the TSR-7790 was available at CostCo.

If we were to just utilize the weight presented by the CostCo site of the TSR-5810 and the Yamaha site for the TSR-5790 and TSR-5790, we could determine it must be software or the arrangement of ink.

TSR-5790 17.9lbs.
TSR-5810 17.9lbs.
TSR-7790 23.4lbs.

Then again, this logic proved harshly false in Monty Python and The Holy Grail.
---
That said, I'm happy per-dollar-spent. It took me over an hour to set up, this isn't the same world that setting up the stereo after a move in college is. BE PATIENT. RTFM -- Read The Manual!

To take advantage of the bi-amping and auto EQ with their little microphone, placed in the sweet spot of the listening area was worth the ego punch of following instructions instead of just plugging stuff in.

I do wish to have more headroom for my Dunlavey's, but hey, a sub-$500 receiver to drive a pair of 20-year-old SC-III's, SC-Iav center and NHT Super Zero surrounds. Should be sufficient to handle the internet, iTunes, and YouTube sources and does surprise me when watching a Blu-Ray or using the system for mastering home-brew recordings ( yeah, as compared with so much crap that is pumped out of CakeWalk or GarageBand directly from computer to internet.

I could be out on a limb.

afrogt 09-20-2016 03:38 PM

The RX-V779/TSR-7790 has a full set of preouts so you can add an external amp if necessary to better power your Dunlaveys. the 581 doesn't offer you that..

It seems to come on sale for $409 once a month at Newegg. Since this is last years model it will eventually go out of stock so if you want one don't wait too long.

Mkard 09-20-2016 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treelimbjim (Post 46928737)
The TSR-5810 caught my eye. Didn't jump fast enough when the TSR-7790 was available at CostCo.

If we were to just utilize the weight presented by the CostCo site of the TSR-5810 and the Yamaha site for the TSR-5790 and TSR-5790, we could determine it must be software or the arrangement of ink.

TSR-5790 17.9lbs.
TSR-5810 17.9lbs.
TSR-7790 23.4lbs.

Then again, this logic proved harshly false in Monty Python and The Holy Grail.
---
That said, I'm happy per-dollar-spent. It took me over an hour to set up, this isn't the same world that setting up the stereo after a move in college is. BE PATIENT. RTFM -- Read The Manual!

To take advantage of the bi-amping and auto EQ with their little microphone, placed in the sweet spot of the listening area was worth the ego punch of following instructions instead of just plugging stuff in.

I do wish to have more headroom for my Dunlavey's, but hey, a sub-$500 receiver to drive a pair of 20-year-old SC-III's, SC-Iav center and NHT Super Zero surrounds. Should be sufficient to handle the internet, iTunes, and YouTube sources and does surprise me when watching a Blu-Ray or using the system for mastering home-brew recordings ( yeah, as compared with so much crap that is pumped out of CakeWalk or GarageBand directly from computer to internet.

I could be out on a limb.

treelimbjim,

Well, thanks.

My speakers are currently bookshelves, will likely remain so but slightly larger if I chase down a pair of Paradigm Titans or Mini-monitors to provide Fronts to the existing Atoms. Either way, pretty easy life for amplifier sections.

We did try a RX-V 5 series a few years ago, 567 on our main system (floorstanders with 3x 100 wpc amplifier to supplement) and were underwhelmed. Immediately went to a larger but older model (still new) Rx-V765 that provided a more rewarding sound, still using the supplemental amp. Why? Mystery of the Audio Church, I guess.

Remaining open to the idea of the TSR 5810, not quite ready...

Mike

Mkard 10-07-2016 05:26 PM

Picked up a 581, but ...

Well, actually the 5810. Pretty good little unit. CEC ARC actually works with a two year-old Sony. Shocked.

One thing that I had looked for was the 7 series at the Costcos. They do not appear to be happening so far. Maybe not at all this year. I had placed a price alert on last year's rx-v 779 with Newegg. They just dropped to $402 shipped. I have 5 days to decide.

The 5810 seems to do okay, but I would like the multi-point YPAO and more robust amps, with bi-amp ability and true pre-outs of the 7 series. Plus at the quoted prices, I would net savings about $25 with the tax-free over the newer 5 series. Is anyone seeing a downside to making the change?

Let me know.

Mkard

Mkard 10-13-2016 02:30 AM

Well, Yamaha now has the TSR-7810 on the U.S. website. Other than DTS:X, and some HDMI/content control stuff no difference to to the Rx-V779 at Newegg. I am not quite ready to squeeze the trigger for the -779. A new audio capability would be nice over the v-779. But, ...

I'll check Costco over the next few weeks, but I suspect that they will carry the -781 overpriced, if at all. Grrr.
I say overpriced because the local Fry's Electronics has the -581 for $40 less than Costco's 5810. No discernible differences to me.

Ideas?

Mkard

Robert Simandl 10-17-2016 06:34 AM

Question....

Amazon Video with HDR stutters when I play it on my Roku Ultra through my Yamaha 5810 receiver, both in audio and video.

This occurs ONLY when I play Amazon 4K video streams with HDR, through the receiver. 4K streams without HDR have no problem. When I had the Roku connected straight to the TV, this wasn't an issue.

Also, programs on Netflix that I know perfectly well are 4K (Luke Cage, Marco Polo) are listed on their info screens as only "HD." Again, this was not an issue when the Roku was connected straight to the TV.

I did the "4K input" adjustment from page 104 of the manual (4:4:4, 60hz). Didn't help.

Is there some other setting on the receiver I need to change, or is something simple like getting newer HDMI cables?

Thanks.

afrogt 10-17-2016 11:29 AM

don't you need the 18Gbps high speed HDMI for 4K UHD and HDR?

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

Robert Simandl 10-17-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Simandl (Post 47532649)
Question....

Amazon Video with HDR stutters when I play it on my Roku Ultra through my Yamaha 5810 receiver, both in audio and video.

This occurs ONLY when I play Amazon 4K video streams with HDR, through the receiver. 4K streams without HDR have no problem. When I had the Roku connected straight to the TV, this wasn't an issue.

Also, programs on Netflix that I know perfectly well are 4K (Luke Cage, Marco Polo) are listed on their info screens as only "HD." Again, this was not an issue when the Roku was connected straight to the TV.

I did the "4K input" adjustment from page 104 of the manual (4:4:4, 60hz). Didn't help.

Is there some other setting on the receiver I need to change, or is something simple like getting newer HDMI cables?

Thanks.

Okay, bizarre.

Got home from work tonight and decided to give it another shot.

Amazon in HDR played fine and dandy tonight, even though I didn't change a damn thing. I have no idea why. Same Roku Ultra, same HDMI cable, same Yamaha receiver, same input, same TV. I'm completely clueless why it played with intolerable stuttering last night and with zero problem tonight.

Mkard 10-25-2016 08:41 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^ I hate it when that happens! ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Robert Simandl 10-25-2016 09:31 PM

Spoke too soon, by the way. Netflix is still a mess. But turns out the new Roku Ultra is a bugfest at the moment.

Amazon working now was due to a firmware upgrade on the Roku. Netflix apparently did not benefit from that upgrade since it still shows all the problems I mentioned above. Gonna be doing Netflix from the nVidia Shield for the foreseeable future.

Robert Simandl 10-26-2016 07:21 AM

What the hell did that new firmware update DO????

My HDMI CEC functionality is completely broken.

When I turn on the TV, the receiver comes on as intended, but then switches to an AV input instead of staying on the TV, and I get no sound. When I turn OFF the TV, the receiver no longer turns off with it.

When I turn the TV to a source connected directly to the TV, the receiver does NOT switch to the TV ARC input anymore.

When I turn the receiver to an input connected directly to the receiver, the TV does NOT switch to the receiver input anymore.

I did NOT change any cables or any other setting, the ONLY difference between yesterday and today was the receiver installed the firmware update last night.

All this stuff was working FINE before the update installed yesterday.

Does Yamaha have any support forums or anything? I've noticed this topic area is pretty empty compared to those of other brands like Pioneer or Denon. And they don't even seem to have a Facebook page.

jgannon65 11-03-2016 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert Simandl (Post 47734321)
What the hell did that new firmware update DO????

My HDMI CEC functionality is completely broken.

When I turn on the TV, the receiver comes on as intended, but then switches to an AV input instead of staying on the TV, and I get no sound. When I turn OFF the TV, the receiver no longer turns off with it.

When I turn the TV to a source connected directly to the TV, the receiver does NOT switch to the TV ARC input anymore.

When I turn the receiver to an input connected directly to the receiver, the TV does NOT switch to the receiver input anymore.

I did NOT change any cables or any other setting, the ONLY difference between yesterday and today was the receiver installed the firmware update last night.

All this stuff was working FINE before the update installed yesterday.

Does Yamaha have any support forums or anything? I've noticed this topic area is pretty empty compared to those of other brands like Pioneer or Denon. And they don't even seem to have a Facebook page.

I'm having the same problem.

Kingram 11-20-2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgannon65 (Post 47931721)
I'm having the same problem.

Has this issue been resolved yet , I'm thinking about getting the 5810 ?

Robert Simandl 11-20-2016 05:33 PM

Nope, I've got my 4 remotes back on the coffee table again, just like I did with my previous non-HDMI receiver.

jgannon65 11-21-2016 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingram (Post 48315665)
Has this issue been resolved yet , I'm thinking about getting the 5810 ?

Yes it has been resolved. I'm actually using optical out for the tv, since the 4k 60hz input on my tv doesn't support arc. I had the tv set to the wrong input, so whenever the tv turned on it would switch to that input. It was really easy to fix, and I have been very happy with the receiver so far.

Robert Simandl 11-22-2016 09:17 AM

Did you do a factory reset on the receiver or something? My HDMI CEC still doesn't work. I have all my remotes back on the coffee table again, just like I did with my previous non-HDMI receiver.

golfster 11-28-2016 05:11 PM

Just got an email from Costco. Now on sale 319.99 but for members only-$70 off reg price. Sure a lot cheaper then the Yamaha RX-V581 that is identical.

delirium910 11-29-2016 12:58 AM

I picked one of these TSR-5810's up at costco last night to replace a Denon 1913 which would crash when using airplay. The Yamaha sounds good and no crashing yet, but the UI is not as good as the Denon.

Big question though, are you guys getting a thump from your subwoofer when you switch inputs or change the DSP setting?
I am getting sub thump now with the Yamaha TSR-5810 but I didn't with the same setup except with the Denon receiver.

Mkard 11-29-2016 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfster (Post 48523345)
Just got an email from Costco. Now on sale $???.?? but for members only-$70 off reg price. Sure a lot cheaper then the Yamaha RX-V581 that is identical.

Trying to keep w/ spirit of "no price talk" which is being harshly (IMO) enforced on many other threads at this moment. (Shrug)

Yep. Costco is good about honoring low price within 30days or so.

The Costco 7810 version is also on sale and available online-only. Not quite a deep enough discount. Yet.

Enjoying simplicity of the working :eek: CEC/ARC to new TV. Sprung for a 65KS800D Samsung. Helluva unit. Even Blu-rays are a "brand new" experience on this display after Spears & Munsil calibration. AVATAR was breathtaking last night.

Still conflicted, still tuned in.

Best to all.

delirium910 11-29-2016 10:23 AM

Mkard: I agree, the 5810 sounds good compared to my Denon 1913 and has a lot more features, although less inputs and im not a fan of the Yamaha remote, I preferred the Denon remote even though that one sucks too.

I also tried the Yamaha iPhone App and that worked well although the navigation was a lil tricky.

Do you get a subwoofer thump when you switch inputs? Do you think I got a defective Yamaha unit? My Denon didn't do this.

Mkard 11-29-2016 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by delirium910 (Post 48541297)
Mkard: I agree, the 5810 sounds good compared to my Denon 1913 and has a lot more features, although less inputs and im not a fan of the Yamaha remote, I preferred the Denon remote even though that one sucks too.

I also tried the Yamaha iPhone App and that worked well although the navigation was a lil tricky.

Do you get a subwoofer thump when you switch inputs? Do you think I got a defective Yamaha unit? My Denon didn't do this.

delirium,

I have sub-w wired using the single patch cord from sub-out. No thump when AVR switches from TV (AV2 optical) to Blu-ray (HDMI non-CEC from Pioneer BDP-51F or to/from USB. I am assuming that you are only using digital inputs?

Only thump I got was over weekend when we re-arranged Family Rm, and I could move sub-W to "back" wall instead of front. I forgot about the capacitors and brushed the connector against the input jack with power unplugged --"buuuoomppp!". After testing I confirmed no damage to anything. whew.

I am finding the iOS app quite fun, and superior to the remote in surprising ways. Getting used to the remote and the easy "enhanced" switching for compressed internet APPS on the TV has been helpful. Much of the drama/film content from TV APPS is using the DSP "SCIFI", while the USB and tuner music benefit from "Concert Hall in Munich". The receiver can do a lot with a decent 3.1 set-up. Old school Paradigm bookshelves.

This unit is growing on me, but I am still conflicted about going to 781 when/if Costco makes them available at/near the 581's original Costco price.

I hope your sub-W problem gets a solution. Good luck.

Mkard

afrogt 11-29-2016 10:04 PM

The TSR-7810 was going under $450 at Costco online over the weekend. MSRP is $849. How much more discount do you need? Its a much better receiver than the 5810 because of the 7.1 preouts, multi point YPAO, dual HDMI outs, and even an extra set of speaker terminals for zone 2/bi-amp.

That's a pretty darn good deal. You wont find its sister RX-V781 anywhere near that low priced right now.

SelfGovern 11-30-2016 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afrogt (Post 48563697)
The TSR-7810 was going under $450 at Costco online over the weekend. MSRP is $849. How much more discount do you need? Its a much better receiver than the 5810 because of the 7.1 preouts, multi point YPAO, dual HDMI outs, and even an extra set of speaker terminals for zone 2/bi-amp.

That's a pretty darn good deal. You wont find its sister RX-V781 anywhere near that low priced right now.

I'd bought a Pioneer Elite LX301 at BestBuy for the same price as the Yamaha TSR-7810 at Costco... then couldn't resist getting the Yamaha from Costco when I found out about the sale price.
Which is the better receiver if one assumes they are the same price?

My background: The only other decent AV receiver I've had is my current Onkyo HT-RC180. But it doesn't support the latest audio 'stuff', nor the newest and bestest TV protocols (and I've recently gotten a 4K television). My speakers are a pair of Polk Audio RM8000s and matching center, with an Epik Empire sub (yeah, 3.1... the room sucks for speaker placement... may be moving soon, or changing my listening room!)

edge928 11-30-2016 03:10 PM

Does anyone know if the 7810 has subwoofer EQ? I looked at the manual and I can't really tell. It talks about YPAO/RSC but doesn't specifically call out the subwoofer. Audioholics had a preview on the 2016 Aventage line saying Yamaha has always been bad at sub EQ because YPAO only goes down to 31hz (or close too). For 2016 the Aventage line gets manual calibration down to 15hz now. Here is the link to that article.

afrogt 11-30-2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

I'd bought a Pioneer Elite LX301 at BestBuy for the same price as the Yamaha TSR-7810 at Costco... then couldn't resist getting the Yamaha from Costco when I found out about the sale price.
Which is the better receiver if one assumes they are the same price?
They look pretty similar based on features. The Yamaha has the 7.1 preouts in case you want to add an external amp. Since you have both receivers you might be the best one to let us know which one is better. Post your opinions here when your get the chance please. :-)

Mkard 11-30-2016 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edge928 (Post 48584569)
Does anyone know if the 7810 has subwoofer EQ? I looked at the manual and I can't really tell. It talks about YPAO/RSC but doesn't specifically call out the subwoofer. Audioholics had a preview on the 2016 Aventage line saying Yamaha has always been bad at sub EQ because YPAO only goes down to 31hz (or close too). For 2016 the Aventage line gets manual calibration down to 15hz now. Here is the link to that article.

Without being entirely sure, I'd say that the sub is only leveled to the listening position on these Yamahas. They don't even internally differentiate between two SWs if you have them plugged-in. Probably need to be further up the Audio food chain to get Sub/EQ.

but, what do I know.

Mike

Mkard 11-30-2016 07:42 PM

wrong again -- no surprise!

Sub equalization may be performed on 4 bands of frequency Manually per page 113. Does one care to infer that the Flat/Front/Natural Equalization is also done on sub? Up to you.

So, if that was the question, "Does Yamaha 781 attempt to equalize (frequency response) the subwoofer channel?", I am reading a qualified yes as an answer.

Good luck

edge928 12-01-2016 02:56 PM

The audioholics article mentions manual calibration. I was more interested in auto calibration by YPAO, specifically how far down does it calibrate. 31hz might be fine for Joe-average-user but if you're on these forums, you are not Joe.

Edit - It just might be a limitation of the microphone Yamaha includes (as Audioholics mentions) which is just sad. Throw $20 more at the microphone and you have much better EQ on the most important "speaker" in any setup.