Official Yamaha RX-V81 Owners Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3652Likes

post #631 of 807 Old 01-17-2018, 01:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Yamaha RX-V1081 Scene's

Afternoon

I'm working on the Yamaha RX-V1081 receiver; and I have also installed a Pro Control remote. I'm having an issue with the "NET" Music option. When you navigate over to the Net button you are presented with several options Net Radio, Napster, Spoitify and XM Radio ect. I want to know if its possible to create a scene that takes you directly to the option you want ie XM Radio. How it currently works now is by using the cursor to pick what option you want to listen to. Without this option the customer is stuck scrolling through the list to pick XM Radio.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 807 Old 01-18-2018, 02:44 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 40
[QUOTE=Hamishh;55517292]Afternoon

I'm working on the Yamaha RX-V1081 receiver; and I have also installed a Pro Control remote. I'm having an issue with the "NET" Music option. When you navigate over to the Net button you are presented with several options Net Radio, Napster, Spoitify and XM Radio ect. I want to know if its possible to create a scene that takes you directly to the option you want ie XM Radio. How it currently works now is by using the cursor to pick what option you want to listen to. Without this option the customer is stuck scrolling through the list to pick XM Radio.

Yes... just use it and by default it's the last thing used on "net" will play first. I put my wifes fav radio station on there and mine on tuner so it auto plays when you press it.
Hamishh likes this.

JVK Samsung 2018 QN75Q7F, UBD-K8500, Denon AVR-X6200W 7.1.4 Klipsch G-28, G-16, G-12 & R-115SW
Samsung 2017 QN65Q7F, Yamaha RX-V681 5.1 Klipsch G-28, G16 & R112SW
post #633 of 807 Old 01-18-2018, 05:28 AM

[quote=jvkahl;55520376]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamishh View Post
Afternoon

Yes... just use it and by default it's the last thing used on "net" will play first. I put my wifes fav radio station on there and mine on tuner so it auto plays when you press it.
What I figured out last night, if I preset my favorite stations and when I pick the preset it will go to the desired NET option.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #634 of 807 Old 01-18-2018, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 67
[quote=Hamishh;55520778]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvkahl View Post
What I figured out last night, if I preset my favorite stations and when I pick the preset it will go to the desired NET option.
When you preset your favorites, are you using the regular remote or are you using your phone, or does it not matter? I never even thought to do that. I have to say, Pandora sounds much better than FM radio.
post #635 of 807 Old 01-19-2018, 01:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Editing the PRESET list of radio stations on NET: RX-V581
--------------------------------------------

I have a Yamaha RX-V581. I stored a few internet radio stations as PRESET, and can cycle through them with the PRESET arrow keys at the bottom of the remote control. However, I seem unable to delete any stations, and since some of the stations change (from classical to rock, for instance), I would love to be able to delete stations I do not listen to. I tried to edit the list via the vTuner web site, which I thought was supposed to be synchronized with my receiver, but that does not work either. I have posted about this here before, but got no help. Yamaha is useless-- they are not interested in helping their customers.
Any ideas or information on this would be greatly appreciated.
post #636 of 807 Old 02-01-2018, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am having a really tough time getting ARC working. Like, hours and hours and hours, including hitting up LG tech support for a couple hours and going through every possible troubleshooting step in case it was a TV issue. I also tested with my old TV (Panasonic Viera 60UT50) and was unable to get ARC working there, either.

I sent Yamaha tech support this email and haven't gotten a response yet - maybe someone here is clever enough to figure it out?

Quote:
When trying to use ARC, I get no signal at all (no sound and receiver front panel display doesn't show anything but the volume level, AV4 input selected, and HDMI Out).

Note that I get proper sound when using an optical cable from TV to AV4. However, that signal isn't Dolby Atmos enabled, so I would like to use ARC instead.

My receiver settings are as follows:
HDMI 2.0 arc-enabled cable (have tested two different ones) from receiver HDMI OUT to TV HDMI IN 2 (ARC enabled) on LG E7P TV
Optical Cable is unplugged from both TV and Receiver
Input set to AV4

Setup -> HDMI
- HDMI Control: On -> TV Audio Input: AV4, ARC: On, Standby Sync: Auto
Input -> AV4 -> Decoder Mode: Auto
DSP: Straight

TV Settings:
Sound -> Sound Out
- Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC)
- Digital Sound Out: PCM
- SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC): On
General
- SIMPLINK (HDMI-CEC): On
- Auto Power Sync: On (this does not work, either, unsurprisingly)

Any idea what the problem could be? Or how I could troubleshoot it?
post #637 of 807 Old 02-02-2018, 06:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1984 Post(s)
Liked: 1052
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsorens View Post
I am having a really tough time getting ARC working. Like, hours and hours and hours, including hitting up LG tech support for a couple hours and going through every possible troubleshooting step in case it was a TV issue. I also tested with my old TV (Panasonic Viera 60UT50) and was unable to get ARC working there, either.

I sent Yamaha tech support this email and haven't gotten a response yet - maybe someone here is clever enough to figure it out?
Set TV audio out format to Dolby Digital?

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #638 of 807 Old 02-06-2018, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Just picked up a LG OLED65C7, and need a new av receiver.

Currently have a HTR7065 whihc does 4k passtrhough, but not HDR or Dolby Vision.

Looks like I can pickup a RX-681BL for about $350 online. Would that give me all the current 4k features my tv will support? Im seeing lots of people reporting ARC issues.
post #639 of 807 Old 02-06-2018, 11:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty View Post
Just picked up a LG OLED65C7, and need a new av receiver.

Currently have a HTR7065 whihc does 4k passtrhough, but not HDR or Dolby Vision.

Looks like I can pickup a RX-681BL for about $350 online. Would that give me all the current 4k features my tv will support? Im seeing lots of people reporting ARC issues.
I believe the 681 got Dolby Vision capabilities with the last firmware update,but I can't speak to issues with ARC.

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #640 of 807 Old 02-09-2018, 04:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yamaha RX-V 381 - DSP "malfunction"?

Cheers everyone!

I just discovered a strange behavious of my AVRs DSP function and hoped someone here could help me.
Feeding it with a 2.0 audio stream and using DSP results in a strange behavious of some DSP programs. While "Direct" for example properly outputs stereo sound and "5ch Stereo" plays the audio on all 5 speakers, virtual surround enhancements like "Standard", "Sci-Fi", "Pro Logic" and so on result in audio ONLY being played on the Center speaker - all other speakers are completely quiet.

Being used on a 5.1 source, DSPs work without problems and do what they should do.

Do you guys have any idea on what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!
post #641 of 807 Old 02-09-2018, 08:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUrnspit View Post
Cheers everyone!

I just discovered a strange behavious of my AVRs DSP function and hoped someone here could help me.
Feeding it with a 2.0 audio stream and using DSP results in a strange behavious of some DSP programs. While "Direct" for example properly outputs stereo sound and "5ch Stereo" plays the audio on all 5 speakers, virtual surround enhancements like "Standard", "Sci-Fi", "Pro Logic" and so on result in audio ONLY being played on the Center speaker - all other speakers are completely quiet.

Being used on a 5.1 source, DSPs work without problems and do what they should do.

Do you guys have any idea on what could be the problem?

Thanks in advance!
5ch stereo simply downmixes content to stereo then plays on all the speakers. If it's monophonic, it will also play on all the speakers....

From your description, I suspect that this "stereo" content that you're playing is actually monophonic. What happens if you put the AVR into SUR DECODE (Dolby PL II Movie)? I'll bet it also plays through the center speaker.

post #642 of 807 Old 02-18-2018, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 2852 Post(s)
Liked: 3400
My v681 updated today, wonder if it includes the DV update!
post #643 of 807 Old 02-19-2018, 09:10 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam1977 View Post
My v681 updated today, wonder if it includes the DV update!
You can check the firmware update page and satisfy your curiosity.

post #644 of 807 Old 02-20-2018, 10:55 AM

Center channel Sounds hallow and weak

I recently finished my basement and set up a little surround sound down there. I have kept the same speakers during this whole process. I often had to run 2 channel stereo in my previous configuration because my center channel was behind glass to be protected while the kids were young. This new setup I have the center speaker on top. So I switched to a 5.1 sound but now my center speaker sounds weak and hallow... The only thing that changed was i switched receivers to support 4k. I did the YPAO setup but still can't figure out what is going on with that center channel. I had it on EQ Flat and have tried Curve but they dont seem to make a big change on that center channel. I am still learning but I don't see a way to really tweak the center channel... I just am worried I might not be giving enough power since I switched down to 5.1. Any Ideas?

Front Speakres RF62
Center RC 52
Yamaha v467
Yamaha v681BL (this replaced the 467 for 4k support)
post #645 of 807 Old 02-20-2018, 07:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Zarbock View Post
I recently finished my basement and set up a little surround sound down there. I have kept the same speakers during this whole process. I often had to run 2 channel stereo in my previous configuration because my center channel was behind glass to be protected while the kids were young. This new setup I have the center speaker on top. So I switched to a 5.1 sound but now my center speaker sounds weak and hallow... The only thing that changed was i switched receivers to support 4k. I did the YPAO setup but still can't figure out what is going on with that center channel. I had it on EQ Flat and have tried Curve but they dont seem to make a big change on that center channel. I am still learning but I don't see a way to really tweak the center channel... I just am worried I might not be giving enough power since I switched down to 5.1. Any Ideas?

Front Speakres RF62

Center RC 52

Yamaha v467

Yamaha v681BL (this replaced the 467 for 4k support)

Go into the setup menu and find the area which allows you to increase the volume of any given speaker. Play the test tone and experiment while you increase the center channel by 2-5 decibels. Then try a few movie scenes to see if the mix is desirable.

post #646 of 807 Old 02-21-2018, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Magdy View Post
Can someone help my with the setup of my rx681 reciver? I did the ypao test what else should i configure? Does anyone know why the sub of bose system is always on no matter what i did to shut it down
Omar, were you able to resolve this? I just got the RXV 481 with the Bose Acoustimas 6 speaker set. I dont have this issue.

The Bose sub has one harness with for the 5 speakers and the sub that goes to the Yamaha receiver. Each speaker in that harness has the black and red cables you show. Then, there is a blue RCA connector that goes to the SUB out RCA on the back of the Yamaha. The blue RCA is not on an "amplified" channel, so the BOSE sub must be plugged in to the wall to get the right amount of juice.

That said, I dont have the issue you have. I would check the serial connector that is under the sub to make sure your harness is well connected between the Yamaha and the SUB. Also, make sure you have a good connection on your BOSE to wall power cord.

I will try turning off my sub signal on my 481 tonight and see if the sub continues to deliver sound. However, I remember I did not have it plugged in when I first got the system going and my base was poor (because I had none).

Please let me know if you got this resolved. Thanks.

For the rest of you, I will post pictures of the set up for your reference. Its more cables, but doable.
post #647 of 807 Old 02-21-2018, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Question RX-V481 Lines across screen while playing PS4

Hi All,

I just got this RX-V481. I have only had it 2 days and have only installed the PS4 HDMI to the back of it. Last night, while still messing with speaker settings (could not find surround - found it) I noticed my screen had some weird lines like static going from side to side on the screen. It lasted about 30 secs and then went away.

Is this a sign that i am missing a firmware update? I will connect the 481 to my network tonight and run an update, but I just wanted to see if this was a concern for HDMI module about to go bad out of the box. Any body run into this before?

FYI - Running RX-V481 with Viewsonic Projector
post #648 of 807 Old 02-28-2018, 03:05 PM

Yamaha RX-v681 sub issues

So I just recently bought a new Yamaha rx-v681 and am in the process of setting it up but am having problems fine tuning it. Specifically it doesn't always trigger my new SVS pb-2000 to turn on, and when it does the sub is very underwhelming. I've talked to SVS about it who say they don't think there is anything wrong with the sub but that Yamaha's are known for having low voltage on the sub outputs. I've tried switching cables and using sub 1 and sub 2 with no difference. I ran YPAO and then manually set all my speakers (Polk Monitors) to small with a 80hz crossover and the sub is set to SVS specs. The only way I can get any good rumble out of it is if the sub volume is set to 80-90% and the receiver to -20 or so. By all rights this setup should be shaking the windows at less than that. I'm still in the window to return the receiver if I don't like it and I'm leaning towards looking at different manufacturers but would like some opinions first before I do so. Do I have a defective unit? Or do Yamaha's just have problems with the bass signal?
post #649 of 807 Old 02-28-2018, 03:25 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2022 Post(s)
Liked: 1361
When you ran YPAO, where did the set the subwoofer channel levels?
ChromeJob likes this.

Afro GT
post #650 of 807 Old 02-28-2018, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked: 302
I had same issue with my Yamaha 673 andSVS sub, solved it by changing crossover to 100 from 80 and turned on adaptive DSP and other adaptive(I think its DRC).Now my sub pops out of sleep mode the minute content with bass hits it.

Matt
post #651 of 807 Old 02-28-2018, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post
When you ran YPAO, where did the set the subwoofer channel levels?
It set the sub level at -2.0db and all the speakers to large. I've since changed them all to small and have tried the crossover at 80 and 100 with minimal change. I've tried getting in touch with Yamaha tech support but it seems like all they want to do is recite the manual after being on hold for 45 minutes. SVS has been great but I honestly don't think it's a problem with their sub and I'm pretty sure it's sized right to the room. Approximately 3500cuft. If I need to return the receiver and upgrade I'm willing to, or even the sub if I have to. I'd rather spend a little more and not regret it every time I sit down to watch something.
post #652 of 807 Old 03-03-2018, 06:44 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cereal-Killer View Post
It set the sub level at -2.0db and all the speakers to large. I've since changed them all to small and have tried the crossover at 80 and 100 with minimal change. I've tried getting in touch with Yamaha tech support but it seems like all they want to do is recite the manual after being on hold for 45 minutes. SVS has been great but I honestly don't think it's a problem with their sub and I'm pretty sure it's sized right to the room. Approximately 3500cuft. If I need to return the receiver and upgrade I'm willing to, or even the sub if I have to. I'd rather spend a little more and not regret it every time I sit down to watch something.
You might look at checking the sub. I had a similar issue with my AR. I had a dirty reverse switch, I sprayed contact cleaner on it and slid it back and forth, prob solved. Also do the same for other controls, depending on age of your sub, maybe it's a dirty switch.
Good luck.

BTW, I have two subs, AR and Polk and it shakes the walls.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #653 of 807 Old 03-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Question Yamaha RXV481 No audio over HDMI (PC)

Hey,

I am new to the forum. And ive turned here in kind of dispair.
The other day I updated my receiever (Yamaha HTR 4069 / RXV481 ) with the hope of some new functionalities.
Ever since the update my receiever is not recognized by the computer anymore.
(I tried extending de display, or only use the second source over hdmi).
The receiver doesnt seem to be on direct mode.
One new thing I have noticed that EVEN if the reciever is turned off I can still send video to the TV from my PC.....
Does anybody have an idea on how to solve this?
( or know where I can get a v1.21 firmware file?)

Greetings,

Webrow
post #654 of 807 Old 03-10-2018, 05:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowan de Graaf View Post
The other day I updated my receiever (Yamaha HTR 4069 / RXV481 ) with the hope of some new functionalities.
Ever since the update my receiever is not recognized by the computer anymore.
(I tried extending de display, or only use the second source over hdmi).
The receiver doesnt seem to be on direct mode.
One new thing I have noticed that EVEN if the reciever is turned off I can still send video to the TV from my PC.....
Does anybody have an idea on how to solve this?
( or know where I can get a v1.21 firmware file?)
How about a little more detail...?
  • How is the computer hooked to the AVR? E.g. HDMI, component video, S-video?
  • What is the resolution and refresh frequency of the computer's video sent thru the AVR?

Updating the firmware may've reset some options to default. I.e. it sounds like standby through is not enabled where before it wasn't. Suggest you go through all your settings and see if anything else changed. If in confusion about some of them, have the manual open in front you while you do so.

post #655 of 807 Old 03-18-2018, 07:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Calibration mic stand

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a mic stand for the Yamaha YPAO mic. And also what is the best way to set up the mic?
post #656 of 807 Old 03-19-2018, 04:26 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post
Hello. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a mic stand for the Yamaha YPAO mic. And also what is the best way to set up the mic?
Any camera tripod will work, the threads are the same.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #657 of 807 Old 03-19-2018, 04:18 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmt930 View Post
Any camera tripod will work, the threads are the same.
Okay. I'm just concerned of the height of the tripod. I assume I'd be standing it on the couch in my listen/viewing position. I would need a stand more than 2 or 3 feet tall.
post #658 of 807 Old 03-19-2018, 04:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked: 324
Just about any camera tripod is going to get higher than that, unless is specifically a table-top model.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt
ChromeJob likes this.

Equipment List
"A nice mid-fi system," according to an audiophile acquaintance.

Reviews and Tech Articles
post #659 of 807 Old 03-20-2018, 04:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck31 View Post
Okay. I'm just concerned of the height of the tripod. I assume I'd be standing it on the couch in my listen/viewing position. I would need a stand more than 2 or 3 feet tall.
If you only have those little tabletop tripods for putting smartphones on and stuff, there's this other technology that you could put under a short tripod called pillows. Works a treat, doesn't reflect sound.

post #660 of 807 Old 03-22-2018, 01:12 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Just got my Xbox One X and hooked it up to my 681, but the xbox isn't reporting that it's connected to an HDR tv. I have a Sony XBR900e and have turned on the enhanced hdmi setting, so I think the issue is some setting on the AVR. I have the Video Mode set to Processing/Resolution Through (Originally I had this set to 4k, but now it's grayed out). I also some post about changing 4k to Mode 1, which I did. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
av receiver , RX-V81 , rxv481 , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page