Official Yamaha RX-V81 Owners Thread - Page 27 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3652Likes

post #781 of 807 Old 02-18-2019, 07:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
As mentioned in your other thread, the Bose AM10 has the entire speaker set wired through the bass module (it’s not technically a “subwoofer”) so you should not have anything connected to the AVRs’ SUB OUT connection.

Your complaint was that the bass was too heavy, and we gave you suggestions to correct that.

http://products.bose.com/pdf/custome...am10_guide.pdf

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/91-au...0-rx-v681.html

So the blue wire that is from the bass module i shouldn't connect it to the sub wire in the amplifier...and put the bass module away from the wall for a better bass
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #782 of 807 Old 02-18-2019, 02:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1983 Post(s)
Liked: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar Magdy View Post
So the blue wire that is from the bass module i shouldn't connect it to the sub wire in the amplifier...and put the bass module away from the wall for a better bass
Ratman linked to a 2001 manual for the Bose AM10, which did not have a "blue wire" for sub/LFE. Please tell us in the other thread which "series" of AM10 you have. It should be on a label on the back of the Acoustimass module. Post a full-size pic of the back label if you can't figure out where it specifies.

"Sell crazy some place else -- we're all stocked up here."
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #783 of 807 Old 02-19-2019, 11:56 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would like to get firmware version 1.30 which has the new software for Airplay. Does anyone have this zip file?Or where I can download it? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #784 of 807 Old 02-20-2019, 07:14 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Official Yamaha RX-V81 Owners Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbullet View Post
I would like to get firmware version 1.30 which has the new software for Airplay. Does anyone have this zip file?Or where I can download it? Thanks.
The latest firmware is linked from the Yamaha product page for your model, or …

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updat...udio_visual&k=

Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #785 of 807 Old 02-20-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
The latest firmware is linked from the Yamaha product page for your model, or …

https://usa.yamaha.com/support/updat...udio_visual&k=

Upgraded to 2.60. Sirius was running fine for about 3 hours then stopped. Going back to 1.26. Power cycled the unit. same issues. Seems the last update doesn't support Sirius/XM properly anymore. Don't use Deezer or tidal at all. Still searching for firmware 1.30.
post #786 of 807 Old 02-25-2019, 04:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 5
RX-V1081 and Marantz MM7025

Hi all,

hope someone may be able to help. Had the 1081 for a for a while and recently bought the Marantz MM7025 power amp.

I want to be able to connect the 7025 to the front 2 main speakers and leave the centre, front presence speakers x 2. rear surround x 2 and subwoofers x 2 on the 1081.
So I have connected from the pre-out (front) on the 1081 to the input on the 7025, then connected the front left and right speakers to the 7025 as per diagram on manual page 27.

Now my issue how am I able to tell the 1081 that front speakers are now driven by the 7025. There does not appear to be an option for me to change and I am unable to get the speaker to work ... confused.......

Any help would be appreciated - thank you

Neil

cheers Neil

Yamaha RV-X1081, Klipsch R110SW x 2, Klipsch G28 Centre Speaker, Klipsch RP-280F Main speakers, Infinty RS5000 rear speakers, Pioneer PLX-1000, PS4 Pro, Samsung Q8FN 65"
post #787 of 807 Old 02-26-2019, 02:38 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I would just like to ask why my Samsung 65KS 8000 TV detects 4K HDR even when 4K MODE 2 is set on my Yamaha RX-V581 AV receiver? When in the RX-V581 Setup 4K HDR Mode is it said that 4K HDR detects TV only at 4K MODE 1?

http://faq.yamaha.com/us/en/article/...ype=
post #788 of 807 Old 02-26-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasumners View Post
Hi all,

hope someone may be able to help. Had the 1081 for a for a while and recently bought the Marantz MM7025 power amp.

I want to be able to connect the 7025 to the front 2 main speakers and leave the centre, front presence speakers x 2. rear surround x 2 and subwoofers x 2 on the 1081.
So I have connected from the pre-out (front) on the 1081 to the input on the 7025, then connected the front left and right speakers to the 7025 as per diagram on manual page 27.

Now my issue how am I able to tell the 1081 that front speakers are now driven by the 7025. There does not appear to be an option for me to change and I am unable to get the speaker to work ... confused.......

Any help would be appreciated - thank you

Neil
Problem solved - not sure how where or why but it is working as expected.

cheers Neil

Yamaha RV-X1081, Klipsch R110SW x 2, Klipsch G28 Centre Speaker, Klipsch RP-280F Main speakers, Infinty RS5000 rear speakers, Pioneer PLX-1000, PS4 Pro, Samsung Q8FN 65"
post #789 of 807 Old 03-06-2019, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Software update v.2.65

Notified yesterday via my RX-v581 that software update v.2.65 is available. From the Yamaha site:

Quote:
This firmware includes

A switch from vTuner to airable.radio as the new internet radio service provider
Stability improvement

From what I've been able to explore since the update, this is a downgrade in terms of internet radio functionality. With vTuner you could create a free account on their site and link your AVR unit to that account. You could easily search for radio stations online, create favorites and these were then automatically connected to your receiver. With "airable" (a service of TuneIn) this link feature is gone and there doesn't appear to be a way to create a list of favorite stations except by tediously scrolling through very lengthy lists of stations on the receiver itself. There is no search function on the receiver. A visit to the "airable" site was disappointing. It looked like some elementary school kids put it together over a weekend. The TuneIn site is better, but, again, it appears there's no way to link an account there, including your favorites list, to your Yamaha unit.

True that I can use my laptop to hit the TuneIn site and AirPlay the audio to my receiver, but this isn't really using the "internet radio" functionality of the Yamaha. But, if I'm missing something, please call me an idiot and let me know why this is an upgrade or at least a "lateral-grade."

TVs: Sony XBR65X930E (2017), v8.0.0 (6.6510) / Samsung UN50JU7100 (2015) w/ IA02 panel, sw v.1530.1
AVR: Yamaha RX-v581, sw v.2.65
Speakers 5.1.2: Polk Audio RM6750 (surround) + Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Atmos height
post #790 of 807 Old 03-12-2019, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jev7266 View Post
Notified yesterday via my RX-v581 that software update v.2.65 is available. From the Yamaha site:

From what I've been able to explore since the update, this is a downgrade in terms of internet radio functionality. With vTuner you could create a free account on their site and link your AVR unit to that account. You could easily search for radio stations online, create favorites and these were then automatically connected to your receiver. With "airable" (a service of TuneIn) this link feature is gone and there doesn't appear to be a way to create a list of favorite stations except by tediously scrolling through very lengthy lists of stations on the receiver itself. There is no search function on the receiver. A visit to the "airable" site was disappointing. It looked like some elementary school kids put it together over a weekend. The TuneIn site is better, but, again, it appears there's no way to link an account there, including your favorites list, to your Yamaha unit.

True that I can use my laptop to hit the TuneIn site and AirPlay the audio to my receiver, but this isn't really using the "internet radio" functionality of the Yamaha. But, if I'm missing something, please call me an idiot and let me know why this is an upgrade or at least a "lateral-grade."
I upgraded to version 2.56, but had the same issues. Random drop outs on Sirius/XM playback and Zone 2 did not work as it started to become unstable.
Vtuner still works fine so I'll stick with v1.26. Tidal and Deezer are pay services and since I have a Sirius/XM subscription that I have in my vehicle and can't take Tidal or Deezer with me on the road unless I burn up my internet wireless service I'll stick with what I know works.
post #791 of 807 Old 04-16-2019, 11:16 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 2
hi guys ... will the new firmware ever arrive for amazon's alexa support?
post #792 of 807 Old 05-07-2019, 10:21 AM

Liked: 13
I installed the v2.65 firmware on my RX-V681 recently and agree with the complaints that "Airable" Net Radio is a downgrade in functionality from "vTuner" Net Radio. It has been a bit tedious to be forced to only be able to add stations using the AVR instead of via a website. The "Filter" function does help in finding particular stations but I'd prefer a true "Search" function. Hopefully, the functionality of Airable gets better sooner rather than later.

At least I've been able to find most of my favorite stations and add them in. While I miss some stations that seem unavailable on Airable but I was very happy to find some that were missing from vTuner, so win some, lose some as far as that goes. And I'm glad my vTuner account at the yradio.vtuner.com website still exists so can look up my old stations there and then try to add them back to Airable on my receiver if they're available.

Last edited by DonMac; 05-07-2019 at 10:24 AM.
post #793 of 807 Old 05-18-2019, 01:23 PM

So is Airable" Net Radio worth the upgrade? I had issues with my Sirius/XM subscription dropping off randomly with patch 2.56. just curious if I should do this or just stick with v 1.26.
post #794 of 807 Old 05-19-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
So is Airable" Net Radio worth the upgrade? I had issues with my Sirius/XM subscription dropping off randomly with patch 2.56. just curious if I should do this or just stick with v 1.26.
I don't have Sirius XM so can't comment on that.

So, as I've gotten more used to it over the past few weeks, just comparing the previous vTuner to the current Airable, so far it seems to be mostly a lateral move, where the station offerings found on Airable are so similar to what's available on vTuner that it's neither an improvement or setback.

The lack of a website to set Airable up could be considered a bit of a setback, but using Yamaha's MusicCast app (which crucially has a "Search" function built-in, something that's missing from just using the AVR "Net Radio" menus) to add stations is about as easy to do as it was on the old yradio.vTuner.com website.

Last edited by DonMac; 05-19-2019 at 03:29 PM.
post #795 of 807 Old 05-21-2019, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMac View Post
I don't have Sirius XM so can't comment on that.

So, as I've gotten more used to it over the past few weeks, just comparing the previous vTuner to the current Airable, so far it seems to be mostly a lateral move, where the station offerings found on Airable are so similar to what's available on vTuner that it's neither an improvement or setback.

The lack of a website to set Airable up could be considered a bit of a setback, but using Yamaha's MusicCast app (which crucially has a "Search" function built-in, something that's missing from just using the AVR "Net Radio" menus) to add stations is about as easy to do as it was on the old yradio.vTuner.com website.

Hmmm........ Do you have to create an account to use Airable? I read somewhere you need to setup an account first. I may just upgrade to see if it's worth it and my Sirius/XM is stable, otherwise it will be back to 1.26.
Thanks for the info.
post #796 of 807 Old 05-21-2019, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Hmmm........ Do you have to create an account to use Airable? I read somewhere you need to setup an account first. I may just upgrade to see if it's worth it and my Sirius/XM is stable, otherwise it will be back to 1.26.
Thanks for the info.
I didn't create an account, just installed the firmware update and used the "Net Radio" option to begin looking up and adding stations to my "Favorites"
post #797 of 807 Old 05-22-2019, 01:10 PM

Well, did the plunge and upgraded. Sirius?XM seems stable. Airable seems ok, but I"m missing a great 1980's jazz station I used to listen to on vTuner.

We'll see how this works out for now. As long as my Sirius/XM subscription works with out issues, I'll stay with this update. Will get back after a few days of trying this out.
Thanks for the info.
post #798 of 807 Old 05-23-2019, 10:42 AM

Quote:
I grabbed the iOS version of MusicCast but was unable to find the search function for stations on Airable. I don't have any MusicCast units and finally concluded that you can do searches only after you connect the app to one of Yamaha's wireless speakers. Am I wrong about this? If so, how did you go about it?

Thanks.

TVs: Sony XBR65X930E (2017), v8.0.0 (6.6510) / Samsung UN50JU7100 (2015) w/ IA02 panel, sw v.1530.1
post #799 of 807 Old 05-23-2019, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I grabbed the iOS version of MusicCast but was unable to find the search function for stations on Airable. I don't have any MusicCast units and finally concluded that you can do searches only after you connect the app to one of Yamaha's wireless speakers. Am I wrong about this? If so, how did you go about it?

Thanks.
I use the Android version of the MusicCast app so I'm just assuming that the iOS version works the same. I'm also assuming that you've configured the MusicCast app to work with your receiver (I can't recall the steps but Yamaha has something on how to do this.)

Here's how to find the "Search" function in it.

(1) Open the MusicCast app and select your receiver (if off, it'll turn it on)

(2) Select "Net Radio" from the MusicCast app's screen under "Sources"

(3) Next select "Radio" option

(4) You should see this list of Radio menu options ("Search" is the very last option):
- Favorites
- History
- Recommendations
- Local stations
- Popular stations
- Trending
- High quality
- New stations
- Filter
- Search

(5) Select "Search" to get a search prompt in which you can type in a specific radio station name and search for it

Last edited by DonMac; 05-23-2019 at 03:02 PM.
post #800 of 807 Old 05-23-2019, 04:00 PM

Quote:
I'm also assuming that you've configured the MusicCast app to work with your receiver (I can't recall the steps but Yamaha has something on how to do this.)
DM, I did incorrectly assume that the app wanted to link with a MusicCast device (speaker), but once I set it up to connect to my Yamaha AVR (the app actually steps you through the process) I was then able to follow your directions and got to the search function. No MusicCast unit required. For me it more than adequately replaces the vTuner web-based search process, and being able to do it right on my phone in the app is way better. I had my favorite stations set up in less than 5 minutes.

Thanks so much for helping me with this.

post #801 of 807 Old 05-24-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Thanks so much for helping me with this.
Glad to help.

Although I'm fine with the switch from vTuner to Airable, I think Yamaha fumbled the ball in not providing any documentation on how to use it. I honestly just stumbled on the "Search" function being in the MusicCast app by pure luck. Why the receiver's built-in on-screen menu option lack the "Search" option (that menu only goes down to the "Filter" option) is a mystery, but I hope Yamaha adds it there too in a future firmware upgrade.

And I recommend messing around with MusicCast. It's basically Yamaha's proprietary wireless streaming technology that works similar to the more common standard Bluetooth technology that's in almost everything these days, but MusicCast has better range and better sound quality than Bluetooth does.

Last edited by DonMac; 05-24-2019 at 08:21 AM.
post #802 of 807 Old 05-28-2019, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a 781 and I'm really disappointed that Yamaha won't offer a firmware update for Airplay 2, which is a real upgrade from Airplay. Other than that, it's been a great receiver.

Michael Burg
post #803 of 807 Old 06-05-2019, 05:07 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Has anyone gotten Dolby Vision to work with the V481? I connected my Apple TV (4K) to the receiver and could only get SDR and HDR10. I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something because I couldn’t find documentation that specifically said it did not support it.
post #804 of 807 Old 06-06-2019, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomac View Post
Has anyone gotten Dolby Vision to work with the V481? I connected my Apple TV (4K) to the receiver and could only get SDR and HDR10.
Only the 681 and 781 will receive the Dolby Vision update. Speculation is that the hardware in the low-end x81 models can't handle the processing demands of DV.
ChromeJob likes this.

post #805 of 807 Old 06-07-2019, 08:59 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Only the 681 and 781 will receive the Dolby Vision update. Speculation is that the hardware in the low-end x81 models can't handle the processing demands of DV.
Not surprising - just a little disappointing.

Separate question: I just got these Jamo S805 floor-standing speakers on sale, and I'm waiting for them to come in the mail. The V481 should be able to power these, right? I checked the specs but am not an expert by any means.
post #806 of 807 Old 06-08-2019, 08:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomac View Post
Not surprising - just a little disappointing.

Separate question: I just got these Jamo S805 floor-standing speakers on sale, and I'm waiting for them to come in the mail. The V481 should be able to power these, right? I checked the specs but am not an expert by any means.
Should be just fine.

post #807 of 807 Old 06-14-2019, 11:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Yamaha RX-V681 Parametric EQ

Is there a way to set/change EQ for the headphone output on the RX-V681? Everything I can see in the on-screen menu and in the manual shows only settings for each speaker. I need to boost the midrange and for my headphones.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
av receiver , RX-V81 , rxv481 , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page