Official Yamaha RX-V81 Owners Thread - Page 29 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3656Likes

post #841 of 869 Old 12-07-2019, 05:05 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 9
CEC issues

I have CEC issue with my Yamaha RX-V381 that I can’t seem to fix. Up until last week, I only had a Roku ultra plugged into HDMI1 and nothing else in any other inputs. Then I added a Chromecast Ultra to HDMI2 and a Firestick4k to HDMI3.

The issue is now let’s say I want to watch the Firestick…I’d turn on my receiver, switch the input to HDMI3 and the Firestick menu appears but after a few seconds it switched to Roku or Chromecast. I switch it back to Firestick and it stays for a few seconds and then it does it again over and over. Finally, after going back and forth manually changing it back to Firestick maybe five or six times it sticks.

Is there a way to fix this without disabling CEC? I need it for the volume button to work on the remotes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #842 of 869 Old 12-10-2019, 07:50 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
For anyone with the Shield Pro (which I got because I couldn't get ARC to work / 681 doesn't have eARC) trying to get Dolby Vision to work at 60 Hz with this receiver, I have the following tips after a long, successful struggle:
  • Gotta have premium high speed cables for both connections. I am now using 48gps cables, but that is probably overkill
  • Receiver set to Mode 1
  • Receiver HDMI video set to Direct (no processing)
  • UHD / deep color enabled on the TV input
  • Shield output to HDMI 1-3 only; 4+ won't work
It's nice to finally have Dolby Vision and Atmos working at the same time after two years of having the TV, the speakers, and the receiver to do it, but lacking eARC or a streaming device capable of both.
post #843 of 869 Old 12-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Too bad upgrading to the DV FW or higher for me results in unplayable [email protected] using my HTPC. The 681 is a POS that I'd love to toss in the trash.

LG B6 (Chad B. calibrated)
Yamaha 681 AVR
Polk Audio 3.1.2 Atmos
Panasonic UB820
Custom HTPC/Emby WMC/MPC-BE/MadVR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #844 of 869 Old 12-14-2019, 11:34 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2250 Post(s)
Liked: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstoric View Post
I have CEC issue with my Yamaha RX-V381 that I can’t seem to fix. Up until last week, I only had a Roku ultra plugged into HDMI1 and nothing else in any other inputs. Then I added a Chromecast Ultra to HDMI2 and a Firestick4k to HDMI3.

The issue is now let’s say I want to watch the Firestick…I’d turn on my receiver, switch the input to HDMI3 and the Firestick menu appears but after a few seconds it switched to Roku or Chromecast. I switch it back to Firestick and it stays for a few seconds and then it does it again over and over. Finally, after going back and forth manually changing it back to Firestick maybe five or six times it sticks.

Is there a way to fix this without disabling CEC? I need it for the volume button to work on the remotes.
Is the TV coming on when you turn on to watch HDMI3? Do you have Standby Through enabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsorens View Post
For anyone with the Shield Pro (which I got because I couldn't get ARC to work / 681 doesn't have eARC) trying to get Dolby Vision to work at 60 Hz with this receiver, I have the following tips after a long, successful struggle:
Spoiler!
As it's said many, many times on this forum, Certified cables are the ones to rely on. Brand, price paid, fancy jargon on the packaging, everything else can be irrelevant and unreliable. Sounds like you got kinda lucky, and the other settings are probably as they should be for passing DV through the AVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annisman View Post
Too bad upgrading to the DV FW or higher for me results in unplayable [email protected] using my HTPC. The 681 is a POS that I'd love to toss in the trash.
It's Christmas, I'm sure you could regift it to someone who'll enjoy it. Just an idea.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
post #845 of 869 Old 01-31-2020, 03:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 412 Post(s)
Liked: 17
When I set my receiver to surround it doesn’t seem loud enough

I mostly watch movies. I have a projector w a full set of klipsch surround sound speakers: two towers, two rears surrounds, a center and a sub, but for some reason I seem to always end up setting the Yamaha receiver on 7 channel stereo instead of surround because it makes it so much louder in the rear speakers. I know this isn’t how it was recorded to be heard, and that surround separates everything but I just can’t hear it as well. Do I just need to turn it up more? I’m in an apartment so this is hard to do. How do I fix this?
post #846 of 869 Old 01-31-2020, 03:43 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7110 Post(s)
Liked: 6981
What AVR are you using? If it has Audyssey, have you tried turning on Dynamic EQ? This will emphasize the bass and surrounds at lower volumes.

Please, do not listen to movies in "Party Mode", that is just sacrilege.

Sony XBR75X940D | Denon X4500H | Nvidia Shield | Synology NAS [52TB] | miniDSP 2x4 HD | TiVo Roamio
PSA MTM210 [x3] | Polk LS/fx [x4] | Klipsch RB61 [x2] | Crowson LvL3 MA [x2] | PSA TV42 Ipal [x2]
post #847 of 869 Old 01-31-2020, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 849 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24589 Post(s)
Liked: 13822
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT99 View Post
I mostly watch movies. I have a projector w a full set of klipsch surround sound speakers: two towers, two rears surrounds, a center and a sub, but for some reason I seem to always end up setting the Yamaha receiver on 7 channel stereo instead of surround because it makes it so much louder in the rear speakers. I know this isn’t how it was recorded to be heard, and that surround separates everything but I just can’t hear it as well. Do I just need to turn it up more? I’m in an apartment so this is hard to do. How do I fix this?
Yup. That's all you're doing when you use 7 CH Stereo.

Or instead of raising the master AVR volume, you can simply bump up the volume of the surround speakers a few dB.
ChromeJob likes this.
post #848 of 869 Old 01-31-2020, 03:51 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 439 Post(s)
Liked: 326
you can adjust the levels on the rear speakers in the setup menus. Also remember that most of your output will come from the front speakers in most movie soundtracks. I ran the room correction setup and then fine tuned it. If your receiver is newer, you can download the Yamaha setup app and it will guide you through the process. How old is your receiver?
post #849 of 869 Old 01-31-2020, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Did you calibrate your setup's channel levels properly or not? If so, you will (essentially) hear what was intended.

As pointed out, you can turn the surround channels' levels up a slight bit after calibration but if you turn them up too much you will no longer be hearing the soundtrack as was intended.

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #850 of 869 Old 02-01-2020, 09:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
What AVR are you using? If it has Audyssey, have you tried turning on Dynamic EQ? This will emphasize the bass and surrounds at lower volumes.

Please, do not listen to movies in "Party Mode", that is just sacrilege. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
I’ll have to check when I get home. It’s a Yamaha I bought in 2017, for around $350.
post #851 of 869 Old 02-01-2020, 09:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgarc View Post
you can adjust the levels on the rear speakers in the setup menus. Also remember that most of your output will come from the front speakers in most movie soundtracks. I ran the room correction setup and then fine tuned it. If your receiver is newer, you can download the Yamaha setup app and it will guide you through the process. How old is your receiver?
It’s from 2017, $3-350 range. How do I adjust the rear speaker volume?
post #852 of 869 Old 02-01-2020, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Quoted: 1837 Post(s)
Liked: 2778
Can you provide a specific model number?....should be printed on your receiver

FS: RUIPRO 8K Fiber DisplayPort Cable 33 feet : https://www.avsforum.com/forum/211-a...d-support.html
post #853 of 869 Old 02-01-2020, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rboster View Post
Can you provide a specific model number?....should be printed on your receiver
Yamaha RX-V681
https://usa.yamaha.com/products/audi...1_u/specs.html
post #854 of 869 Old 02-01-2020, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 533
Quote:
How do I adjust the rear speaker volume?

So, I'll ask again:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadselim View Post
Did you calibrate your setup's channel levels properly or not?

"All men are frauds. The only difference between them is that some admit it. I myself deny it."
post #855 of 869 Old 02-01-2020, 11:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Quote:
How do I adjust the rear speaker volume?

So, I'll ask again:
Quote:
Did you calibrate your setup's channel levels properly or not?
Yes, using the mic provided.
post #856 of 869 Old 02-01-2020, 01:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
As others have pointed out, often the surround channels, particularly Surround Back (SB), aren't utilized all the time. SOME movies play the music from SL and SR (Surround Left & Right) at an attenuated level ... mixed for a theater, it's probably intended to "put you right in the orchestra pit."

Run YPAO again, do it single-point at your usual main listening position position (MLP) (I don't recall if the 681 did multipoint). You can check out the results before any tweaking with the test tone feature (see below), or play some movies with good surround effects. There's a thread here somewhere on "great surrround scenes" (e.g. the opening of Star Wars: Attack of the Clones with the Naboo cruiser flying down to the planet, through the clouds). I'd bet many films mentioned in the thread are available for borrowing from your public library.

Quote:
It’s from 2017, $3-350 range. How do I adjust the rear speaker volume?
Probably Settings, Manual Configuration, Speaker ... LEVELS. Check your manual.

Use the Test Tone: turn on test tone (it starts cycling between all speakers), then without turning it off, hit RETURN once, go into Levels, and the tone should still be on ... it will continue playing on the speaker you're adjusting instead of cycling around. First, test if YPAO set the speakers so that the pink noise is roughly even from your MLP; just switch from speaker to speaker, e.g. compare Front Left with Surround Left, etc.

If you like, you can bump the surrounds up a bit. Don't make them the same number. If YPAO made SR +2dB and SL +3dB, then raise them both equally e.g. to SR +3B and SL +4dB. It's not sacrilegious if you bump up your surrounds; sure, purists balk that most people over-emphasize the surrounds to "show off" their home theater. For those of us with some hearing issues, or room issues, I say make it so you can ENJOY the film.

But just realize that if you turn them up for regular scenes, you may hear the surrounds blasting, potentially even overdriving during big loud action movies. Personally I recommend surround effects like music, or incidental things like computer sounds (Star Trek movies) and aircraft overpasses to test. (I think "The Witcher" on Netflix had music in the surrounds a lot, if that genre's your fancy.)
DonMac likes this.

“Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?” “Oh that's all right, Detective, we're married.”
Are you new to the forum? => Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. Respect our fine Moderators. And RTFM, always.
post #857 of 869 Old 02-22-2020, 07:21 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked: 42
headphones

Does anyone know of a way to do quick connections of bluetooth headphones. Seems ridiculous to have to turn on my tv and go through settings etc when I only wanted to listen to music directly to bluetooth

JVK Samsung 2018 QN75Q7F, UBD-K8500, Denon AVR-X6200W 7.1.4 Klipsch G-28, G-16, G-12 & R-115SW
Samsung 2017 QN65Q7F, Yamaha RX-V681 5.1 Klipsch G-28, G16 & R112SW
post #858 of 869 Old 04-10-2020, 02:19 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Need help with Yamaha RX-V381 Receiver

For some reason, video playback for my receiver is only working for my DirecTV box (set top box). It works fine in any of the 4 HDMI input ports. However, when I plug in any other device like my Roku, I'm only getting audio from the speakers and it says "Roku" on the receiver screen, but no video from the TV. Is there a setting that I'm missing? The TV HDMI input is correct. There's no issues with the Roku, since it's a streaming stick and works when connected directly to the TVs.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
post #859 of 869 Old 04-11-2020, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho1 View Post
For some reason, video playback for my receiver is only working for my DirecTV box (set top box). It works fine in any of the 4 HDMI input ports. However, when I plug in any other device like my Roku, I'm only getting audio from the speakers and it says "Roku" on the receiver screen, but no video from the TV. Is there a setting that I'm missing? The TV HDMI input is correct. There's no issues with the Roku, since it's a streaming stick and works when connected directly to the TVs.

Any help would be appreciated...thanks!
Just to add... I noticed that when the Ruku is set as the input, "HDMI" is lit however "Out" is blinking. If it's set on the DirecTV box that works, "Out" stays lit and does not blink. The blinking is maybe a sign that there's an issue with the output to the TV?
post #860 of 869 Old 04-11-2020, 11:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillho1 View Post
Just to add... I noticed that when the Ruku is set as the input, "HDMI" is lit however "Out" is blinking. If it's set on the DirecTV box that works, "Out" stays lit and does not blink. The blinking is maybe a sign that there's an issue with the output to the TV?
Is the Video Processing on teh AVR set to "Processing" or "Through?" If you enable on screen info, does the AVR display what input video resolution/framerate is coming from the Roku? What kind of video output is the Roku set to? Have you tried plugging the Roku directly into the TV.

post #861 of 869 Old 04-12-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
Is the Video Processing on teh AVR set to "Processing" or "Through?" If you enable on screen info, does the AVR display what input video resolution/framerate is coming from the Roku? What kind of video output is the Roku set to? Have you tried plugging the Roku directly into the TV.
The Roku works fine when plugged directly to the TV. When auto-detecting the video quality of the screen, it goes to 1080p.

When the Roku is attached to the receiver, I went to "Option", then "Signal Info", and it lists 1080p for both the HDMI in and HDMI out. When the DirecTV box (the one that work) is selected as the input, it lists 1080i for both the HDMI in and out.

I'm not sure where to find "processing" vs. "through" in the receiver settings. Could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks
post #862 of 869 Old 04-18-2020, 04:16 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I have an RX-V481 and I’m trying to get Tidal connected via MusicCast. I downloaded the app and connected the receiver to WiFi but the only streaming services listed under Sources are Spotify and Pandora. No Tidal. I know I can use AirPlay and Bluetooth but I wanted to avoid that, for the best audio quality. The Yamaha product page claims I should be able to stream it but I can’t figure it out. I’m guessing it’s not actually supported but wanted to check anyway.
post #863 of 869 Old 04-19-2020, 12:37 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomac View Post
I have an RX-V481 and I’m trying to get Tidal connected via MusicCast. I downloaded the app and connected the receiver to WiFi but the only streaming services listed under Sources are Spotify and Pandora. No Tidal. I know I can use AirPlay and Bluetooth but I wanted to avoid that, for the best audio quality. The Yamaha product page claims I should be able to stream it but I can’t figure it out. I’m guessing it’s not actually supported but wanted to check anyway.
Tidal was added to the RX-v681 by a firmware update but a quick search of the thread doesn't show it was added to the 481. Note on the product page you linked to, it as promised in a firmware update.

https://www.avsforum.com/yamaha-firm...o-select-avrs/

post #864 of 869 Old 04-19-2020, 02:55 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Tidal was added to the RX-v681 by a firmware update but a quick search of the thread doesn't show it was added to the 481. Note on the product page you linked to, it as promised in a firmware update.

https://www.avsforum.com/yamaha-firm...o-select-avrs/
Well that’s annoying. Thanks for the info.
post #865 of 869 Old 04-19-2020, 06:24 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chronomac View Post
Well that’s annoying. Thanks for the info.
Look at the 781 thread, looks like it was added by firmware, but has to be accessed from within MusicCast, whatever that means.

post #866 of 869 Old 04-26-2020, 01:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Help required please.

Got the RXV581 hooked up with HDMI to a Yamaha BDS677 bluray/ SACD player. I am playing a multichannel SACD and got the settings right on the player (SACD Bitrate through HDMI). I am using a HDMI cable by Audioquest (Pearl). But my receiver should read DSD on the display right? But it only does read PCM.. Is this normal?

On my Aventage equipment downstairs - also a Yamaha receiver + player, it reads DSD on the display of the receiver. Like it should.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for help.
post #867 of 869 Old 04-26-2020, 02:06 AM

Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Look at the 781 thread, looks like it was added by firmware, but has to be accessed from within MusicCast, whatever that means.

MusicCast is the Yamaha multi-room app.
Download the app, connect your amp by holding down the straight button on the front of the AVR for 5 seconds etc.
Once the amp is loaded onto MusicCast you can log into Tidal from the app.
post #868 of 869 Old 04-26-2020, 01:26 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzeb View Post
Help required please.
Got the RXV581 hooked up with HDMI to a Yamaha BDS677 bluray/ SACD player. I am playing a multichannel SACD and got the settings right on the player (SACD Bitrate through HDMI). I am using a HDMI cable by Audioquest (Pearl). But my receiver should read DSD on the display right? But it only does read PCM.. Is this normal?
On my Aventage equipment downstairs - also a Yamaha receiver + player, it reads DSD on the display of the receiver. Like it should.
What am i doing wrong? Thanks in advance for help.
Answered in the 5810/581 thread.

post #869 of 869 Old 06-22-2020, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yamaha Receiver RX-V381 Troubleshooting Help

Hi everyone, I have a Yamaha RX-V381 that has been working perfectly fine until Friday (3 years). I have a 3.1 system set up, with 2 front speakers (Pioneer - Andrew Jones), a center channel (Pioneer - Andrew Jones) and a subwoofer. Here's the sequence of events so far.

Friday Afternoon: I think the receiver goes into Power Protect mode. I'm not 100% sure about this, since I wasn't there when it happened. My wife says she might have powered it on a few times in succession since she thought she powered it on, turned away, then it was off so she powered it back on. She doesn't know exactly how many times this happened.

I disconnect all the speaker wires and HDMI cables, but I can't get the receiver to power on at all. Eventually, I hold Tone Control + Info, then Power on to get the receiver to power on. However, the receiver will immediately shut down after this. I leave it alone in case it's still overheated or something. I did open up the receiver to see if I could see any obvious blown fuses or anything, but I didn't see anything. The next day, I try again but the same thing still happens. Eventually, I hold Tone Control + Info + Power for ~20-30 seconds, and now the receiver stays on. I reconnect each cable one by one, and nothing seems to be causing issues. However, after everything is connected, I get no sound from my speakers.

I disconnected and reconnect everything again, swap the Front left and Front right speaks, and double check to make sure no cables are frayed and loose ends are sticking out. Reconnect everything but I still get no sound from my speakers. Eventually, I get the bright idea to turn up the volume on the receiver. Normally, it is set to around -40 to -45 dB. I turn it up to -3.0 dB, and I can finally hear something. The sound is mainly coming from the center speaker (dialogue).

However, I noticed the sound in my Front Left and Front Right speakers is still really low, and they have a buzzing sound at this volume setting. I try to use the YPAO setup with the provided microphone to set up the speakers again, but it cannot even pass the first pre-test for the first speaker (Front Left). When I try, I get the following error message: "E-1:No Front SP (E-1:NO FRNT SP)". The increasing sounds does come out of the Front Left when it the pre-test starts, but the microphone doesn't seem to be able to pick it up. When I first set up the speakers, I forget how loud the pre-test was, so I have no point of reference. I try swapping the speakers to test the right one first, but I still get the same error.

I also try placing the microphone right next to the speaker, and of course this passes the pre-test for the Front Left speaker. However, I obviously don't want the microphone there as it will probably mess up my settings. Also, I noticed the Display on the receiver doesn't show the same message as before. Before this happened, when I watched Roku, the Display will show "Roku". Now the Display shows "Standard". Also, in the Signal Info part of the options, the "Format" shows "PCM" while the Channel shows "2/0/---". I don't know what it showed previously, but this definitely doesn't seem right. When I was playing around with the TV source (changing the sound source from TV to Receiver), the "Format" briefly changed to something with "DTS or Dolby", while the channel changed to something with "2/1/0.1". I couldn't document the exact change, since it only happened once for a split second before it changed back to "PCM" and "2/0/---", and now I can't replicate it. I've also tried a doing a Factory reset, but the same error message is still there when I try to run the YPAO setup. However, the receiver now displays "Roku" instead of "Standard", so I have that going for me. I've also tried swapping the Front Left and Front Right speakers for the YPAO test, but that doesn't work as well.

Does anyone know what is going on or have any ideas on how to troubleshoot this?

TLDR: Receiver probably went into Power Protect mode. I get it out of Power Protect mode, but now the volume for the speakers is extremely low. Cables have all been checked multiple times, front speakers have been swapped with each other, factory reset has been performed. The previous -43.0 dB is probably equivalent to 0.0dB. Performing the YPAO setup fails and cannot complete, what do I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
av receiver , RX-V81 , rxv481 , Yamaha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page