• 1 Post By afrogt

post #1 of 5 Old 09-22-2016, 10:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Denon X2200w Newbie

Hi All,

Just got a Denon receiver and have never seen a remote with fewer options on it. My last receiver had so many choices. Anyway, now that everything is set up using Audyssey, I am very limited on sound modes (surround presets). My last receiver that was dirt cheap had tons of movie modes. This only has about 5 per input, but they include mono and stereo which is silly for TV. I am trying to figure out the best sound mode for TV and movies. I am using Dolby Digital + Surround for most viewing. There is also a mode called Center Spread which is supposed to spread the center speaker to the FR and FL speakers. I can't find this setting or mode anywhere. Also should I use Pure for viewing? When I select it, the sound is not as full, but I know this mode plays back audio as recorded in the source.. Also, what is DTS really compared to Dolby Surround? I also can't access the Dolby True HD modes but it is listed in the manual. Also can't access Dolby Digital Plus Neural:X. I just think it is weird that the manual lists all of this and I can't access them. Can anyone advise on how or what settings they use to maximize music/TV/ and Movies? Finally, should I be making Picture adjustments through the receiver or the TV such as Movie, Vivid, Streaming etc. I just want to get the most out of this receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-22-2016, 10:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
First thing you need to tell us how many speakers you have and how they are setup. You need to provide as much info as possible.

What devices do you have connected? Blu Ray, cable or sat receiver, gaming devices, streaming device? How are they connected to your receiver?

Most of those simulated movie modes are pretty useless in my opinion (rock arena, jazz club, matrix, virtual, etc). I have a x2300 and all I ever use is Dolby Digital for watching TV, Dolby Digital plus for Netflix streaming, TrueHD and DTS-HD for Blu Ray movies, Stereo for CD's and Multi Channel Stereo or Party mode for background music. You want to use the discrete modes such as DD 5.1, DTS, TrueHD, DTS-HD as much as possible depending on your source.

Quote:
I also can't access the Dolby True HD modes but it is listed in the manual. Also can't access Dolby Digital Plus Neural:X. I just think it is weird that the manual lists all of this and I can't access them
Those depend on your source material and how many speakers you have setup. They're available if your source provides the bitstreamed signal. That's why we need to know what devices you have.

Please provide some more info and then we can help you out.
Madmax67 likes this.

Afro GT

Last edited by afrogt; 09-22-2016 at 10:19 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-22-2016, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Thanks so much! I have a 5 set of Onkyo 8ohm speakers. FR, C, FL, and 2 surround (L & R). I use Verizon as my Cable with HDMI connection, Apple TV with HDMI connection, and stream also 1080p movies from Itunes (through Apple TV). As of now I am not getting any choices for DTS. I am fine with Dobly Digital as long as I am not missing out. Why am I not getting a DTS options? I actually get one choice for my music settings, but not TV/Movie. I get one mode called Dolby Digital + Neural X, but I should be getting DTS Neural X. Not sure why Dolby Digital + Neural X is an option when it is not even in the manual. Do I need to change a setting on my TV to get DTS signals? I went into Input settings on the receive and changed it from "auto decode" to DTS only and now there is no sound. I can't find any programming that sends a DTS source. Is that normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-23-2016, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 4815 Post(s)
Liked: 2850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rosenthal View Post
Thanks so much! I have a 5 set of Onkyo 8ohm speakers. FR, C, FL, and 2 surround (L & R). I use Verizon as my Cable with HDMI connection, Apple TV with HDMI connection, and stream also 1080p movies from Itunes (through Apple TV). As of now I am not getting any choices for DTS. I am fine with Dobly Digital as long as I am not missing out. Why am I not getting a DTS options? I actually get one choice for my music settings, but not TV/Movie. I get one mode called Dolby Digital + Neural X, but I should be getting DTS Neural X. Not sure why Dolby Digital + Neural X is an option when it is not even in the manual. Do I need to change a setting on my TV to get DTS signals? I went into Input settings on the receive and changed it from "auto decode" to DTS only and now there is no sound. I can't find any programming that sends a DTS source. Is that normal?
You won't see DTS as an option unless you play a DTS soundtrack. It's an audio encoding method which is used to record audio. It's not an audio enhancement which can be applied in the receiver. The Neural:X upmixer is the enhancement provided by DTS (the company). You've already mentioned that it's available when you play Dolby soundtracks, so your receiver is working as designed.

TV and cable channels use only Dolby Digital soundtracks, not DTS. Most streamed videos include only Dolby soundtracks because Dolby Digital uses much less bandwidth than DTS does for the same relative quality of sound.

You won't hear any audio if you try to apply a DTS decoder to a Dolby encoded soundtrack because they're not compatible with one another. The bits and bytes in their data streams have quite different meanings. In the long-ago times when receivers let you force that to happen, all you'd hear would be loud static hiss which could permanently damage the tweeters in your speakers. As a result, they don't let you do that any more.

Most, but not all, Blu-ray discs are recorded using DTS-HD MA soundtrack encoding, so if you get a Blu-ray player you'll be able to see DTS in the receiver's display. Another option is to connect your computer's HDMI output to the receiver. Videos with DTS soundtracks are readily available. One source is demo-world.eu

Selden

Marantz SR7009 avr + MM9000 amp --> Atmos 7.1.4
Fronts=NHT 2.9+AC2, FH+TM=DefTech PM1000, LCR+TM amped
post #5 of 5 Old 09-24-2016, 03:24 AM

Mentioned: 748 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22754 Post(s)
Liked: 12403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Rosenthal View Post

1. The DD/DTS cross-mix update was only just added via a firmware update on August 17, 2016.
2. You'll need to rent or buy a DTS DVD/BD ---> http://www.blu-raystats.com/Stats/Stats.php

Also note, there is a dedicated thread for the 2015 models in the link below. Review posts 1-8 in that thread for additional helpful information on your new AVR.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page