Video quality much worse after hooking up denon x4200w - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By afrogt
  • 1 Post By Alan P
  • 1 Post By jdsmoothie
  • 1 Post By davemsc

post #1 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Video quality much worse after hooking up denon x4200w

Hey all,

I'm hoping you can help me. I have been using an older H/K amp (pre HDMI days) for 13 years. It bascially failed so I replaced it with a denon x4200w. I have a panasonic 55st60 plasma and a blu ray player (2014). My previous set up I hooked the blu ray to the TV via HDMI and an optical from the blu ray to receiver for surrond. Likewise for my cable box.

Now, everything is HDMi into the reciver and an HDMI out from receiver to TV.

However, watching blu rays that were crystal clear in the old set up (not passing through a receiver) are now really grainy and not good. This is the same when watching my cable box. The video is all around worse when everything is plugged into the receiver. Is that because the Denon is doing something to the signal?

Can I do an HDMI passthrough on the blu ray and cable box so the receiver doesn't do anything to the picture, but does decode the audio? I'm still learning all this since the last time I even thought about any of this was 2003 lol

Thanks!
dave

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 12:23 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 2201 Post(s)
Liked: 1458
turn off any video conversion on your x4200.

you should probably post in the 2015 Denon Owners thread.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-rec...dcp-2-2-a.html
lovinthehd and Madmax67 like this.

Afro GT
post #3 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 03:00 PM

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 6538 Post(s)
Liked: 5886
You have this same question posted in three (that I've found) different threads...this is considered bad forum etiquette because people trying to help you may not know the whole story (from the other threads).
Madmax67 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12401
Is the AVR HDMI connected to the same HDMI input on the TV that you were using for the Blu Ray player before? Perhaps there are different video related settings on that HDMI input?
Alan P likes this.
post #5 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 04:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
You have this same question posted in three (that I've found) different threads...this is considered bad forum etiquette because people trying to help you may not know the whole story (from the other threads).
Fair enough. I apologize for that. I wasn't really sure where it should be posted. I'll make sure I don't repeat questions in the future.
Cheers
Alan P likes this.
post #6 of 20 Old 09-30-2016, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
Is the AVR HDMI connected to the same HDMI input on the TV that you were using for the Blu Ray player before? Perhaps there are different video related settings on that HDMI input?
No it's connected to the ARC input.. In my case hdmi2 on the TV. It was 1 before.

I don't think anything would be different on that input would it?
post #7 of 20 Old 10-01-2016, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 747 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22753 Post(s)
Liked: 12401
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemsc View Post
No it's connected to the ARC input.. In my case hdmi2 on the TV. It was 1 before.

I don't think anything would be different on that input would it?
It would if you made video adjustment changes on the TV for HDMI1 and not the same changes on HDMI2.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-01-2016, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post
It would if you made video adjustment changes on the TV for HDMI1 and not the same changes on HDMI2.
Everything was the same.
I guess since I've never passed video through a receiver if it in theory is going to degrade the quality at all.

Cab i test this by watching a Blu ray on HDMI passthrough? Or does the receiver still do some processing, even though it's off?
Thanks
post #9 of 20 Old 10-13-2016, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Everything was the same.
I guess since I've never passed video through a receiver if it in theory is going to degrade the quality at all.

Cab i test this by watching a Blu ray on HDMI passthrough? Or does the receiver still do some processing, even though it's off?
Thanks
Hey all,

Just checking in on this thread again.

So does anyone else experience a huge increase in grain on the darker scenes when using the denon x4200w or is it just me? On brighter scenes, it looks good, but it's the darker scenes, lighter shadows that it is really bad. I can't say I've noticed it before.

All the covnersions in the denon are off, however it still seems much worse than before I had the denon. I did get newer HDMI cables (4k, 18gbs) but I'm under the impression cables either work or they don't - they don't affect quality.

I'm going to go home tonight and hook the cable box and blu ray directly to the TV, bypassing the amp altogether (the way it used to be) and see if that makes a difference.

I'm just really interested to see if others have experienced this.

thanks,
dave

ps - I have tried all the inputs and it seems to be the same.

Anything bigger than a handful, you're risking a sprained tongue - Gary, Weird Science

Last edited by davemsc; 10-13-2016 at 07:09 AM.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-13-2016, 08:02 AM

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked: 57
I would say try hooking it straight to the tv and see if there is an improvement in the PQ,that will give you the best answer. I run my oppo straight to the tv because that's why I bought it was for its excellent PQ and I let my avr do what is best at which is Sound. Everyone has diff. ways to hook things up but I would def try hooking up the sources to the tv and see how it looks.
post #11 of 20 Old 10-13-2016, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post
I would say try hooking it straight to the tv and see if there is an improvement in the PQ,that will give you the best answer. I run my oppo straight to the tv because that's why I bought it was for its excellent PQ and I let my avr do what is best at which is Sound. Everyone has diff. ways to hook things up but I would def try hooking up the sources to the tv and see how it looks.
But if I hook everything up to the TV, how do I get actual surround sound from the TV to the AVR (I thought it only outputs stereo)? Also, my cable box and blu ray player only have 1 HDMI so if I do put those to the TV via HDMI, I am left with optical or coax to the receiver, which doesn't allow lossless from the blu ray right?

post #12 of 20 Old 10-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
But if I hook everything up to the TV, how do I get actual surround sound from the TV to the AVR (I thought it only outputs stereo)? Also, my cable box and blu ray player only have 1 HDMI so if I do put those to the TV via HDMI, I am left with optical or coax to the receiver, which doesn't allow lossless from the blu ray right?
Correct. You would have to get an HDMI splitter.

I'm going to bet that when you hook everything directly to the TV you are not going to see a difference though...let's see what happens tonight.

If you do see a difference, I would exchange the AVR for another (same or different model, up to you) as it would obviously be performing not as expected. I have never seen a difference in video performance going through any (modern) AVR.
post #13 of 20 Old 10-13-2016, 01:26 PM

Yeah I agree Alan,it should not mess with the settings at all if he has everything turned off in the avr. I hooked up mine both ways and found no diff. at all but liked running my oppo straight to the tv since I use diff. settings for my cable/sat. picture.
post #14 of 20 Old 10-13-2016, 06:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well I did some messing around. The difference I think is in the cable, if that's even possible. I took two cables , one that was used before from my Blu ray to my TV, and a new hdmicable that I am using in my avr setup, and ran them one at a time from my Blu ray to the TV. I swear that the cable I use for the avr ( I use 3 for my current setup and are all the same brand and length) is grainier then the one I used to use.

It's that possible????
post #15 of 20 Old 10-13-2016, 11:20 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 845 Post(s)
Liked: 441
Quote:
Well I did some messing around. The difference I think is in the cable, if that's even possible. I took two cables , one that was used before from my Blu ray to my TV, and a new hdmicable that I am using in my avr setup, and ran them one at a time from my Blu ray to the TV. I swear that the cable I use for the avr ( I use 3 for my current setup and are all the same brand and length) is grainier then the one I used to use.

It's that possible????
Anything is possible, if you believe it to be.
post #16 of 20 Old 10-13-2016, 11:25 PM

Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Quoted: 12752 Post(s)
Liked: 12070
I see no difference with cable, Blu-ray, and 4k blu rays. Check your picture mode maybe it got changed. For 1080p and Lower sources I prefer ISF DAY.

82Q90R*75Q9FN(RIP)*55C8OLED*Galaxy Note10+*Ub820 fed into Oppo 203*XB1X*4k DenonX4200

MASTER LIST OF HDR CONTENT THREAD HERE, UPDATED OFTEN
post #17 of 20 Old 10-14-2016, 07:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by emcdade View Post
Anything is possible, if you believe it to be.

wow haha.

I actually recruited another person and without telling them anything, I just asked to tell me which picture looks grainier. He agreed as well. I think it's the cable.

However, I think I'm finally going to decide and keep the x4200w.

thanks to all who have put up with my stupid questions

Cheers,
Dave

post #18 of 20 Old 10-14-2016, 07:41 AM

Glad you got it sorted out and that avr is a nice unit.
post #19 of 20 Old 10-14-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
wow haha.

I actually recruited another person and without telling them anything, I just asked to tell me which picture looks grainier. He agreed as well. I think it's the cable.

However, I think I'm finally going to decide and keep the x4200w.

thanks to all who have put up with my stupid questions

Cheers,
Dave
On my TV, if I don't have the HDMI cable seated all the way in, I will get some static on-screen and this is a common issue with many TVs. However, I wouldn't describe this as "grainy", it is more "static" or "snow" since the little white dots will pop on and off in different areas of the screen.

I'm assuming this isn't what you are talking about, but I wanted you to know that a bad HDMI cable or connection can cause picture issues.
post #20 of 20 Old 10-14-2016, 01:16 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 54
I am glad you figured out the root cause of this problem.

I have also noticed different HDMI cables give different quality sound/image. I wouldn't say spending $$$$ is required however it does make a difference if the quality is super low.

It is even more important with audio connectors/wire.

Zoof

Theater || 82NU8000 | Pioneer SC-LX901 | Paradigm 85F - 55C - 15B - E80R | Syzygy SLF870
Rec || Pioneer KRP 500m | Pioneer SC-25 | PSB B25
Casual || LC-65LBU591C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page