10 Things to Consider When Shopping for an AV Receiver - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 44Likes

post #121 of 135 Old 12-29-2018, 09:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdaniel View Post
Would one of these devices work so you can send the 4K video to the TV and the Audio to the receiver? Would it split a 4K Apple TV video and audio. I am still looking for a viable solution for my 1.4 hdmi THX Ultra receiver and my vizio tv.
Thx. Mono price had a bunch of reasonably priced spliters. Just not sure if they pass everything or if something is lost in translation.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15259
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=21612
Did you get one of these splitters?

Does it work?

I have an old Onkyo 3007 that works great, except for a new TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 135 Old 01-02-2019, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Great points. The price of room correction technology is starting to become much more reasonable!
post #123 of 135 Old 01-05-2019, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel H View Post
Did you get one of these splitters?

Does it work?

I have an old Onkyo 3007 that works great, except for a new TV.
I did not try it. I would still like to find a solution, it seems silly to buy a new receiver because of the HDMI. Right now I am running a separate HDMI from all units to the tv and then running an optical out of the tv back into the receiver.
It’s irritating
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #124 of 135 Old 01-22-2019, 01:25 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked: 1066
Quote:
I did not try it. I would still like to find a solution, it seems silly to buy a new receiver because of the HDMI. Right now I am running a separate HDMI from all units to the tv and then running an optical out of the tv back into the receiver.
It’s irritating
This guide for combining new and old may be helpful.

https://www.hifihunter.com/wp-conten...ndex.html_gzip
post #125 of 135 Old 02-10-2019, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Since purchasing my receiver with HEOS I now *need* to have HEOS built-in, it's such a time saver.
post #126 of 135 Old 03-15-2019, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
So I'm quite clueless about the 4K tech. I purchased my TV and AVR and quit researching. Need to upgrade now because I'd like a bigger tv and well a better picture and prices are low enough now, I can pick up a decent tv. (Although I haven't quite decided which to get.)

I'd like to avoid buying a new AVR. I have a Yamaha rxv565 so Hdmi compatible. Upgrading to 4K tv. Obviously I want to run my sound through the AVR. Nothing else I have is 4K. I will probably upgrade my Apple TV to 4K. Doubt I will get a 4K player. When I connect equipment, do I run all through the TV and it upscales the HD signal to 4K? Is it the HDMI ARC that I use to get audio through my AVR? Or will the TV act as a passthrough if I only connect the AVR to the TV like my current setup?
post #127 of 135 Old 03-21-2019, 03:46 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Hello guys I have a 13 x 17 x 8 home theater. Can't make up my mind about which receiver to buy between Denon AVR-x4500H or Marantz SR7012 (both close in prices with recent price-drops). I love both movies and music. I want to set up 7.2.4 speaker set up and will use my old Denon 3805 for the two extra channels for this set up. One additional feature that x-4500 has is an IMax enhanced. How critical is that feature to have? Could anyone help me decide? Thank you
post #128 of 135 Old 04-03-2019, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideochallenged View Post
Hello guys I have a 13 x 17 x 8 home theater. Can't make up my mind about which receiver to buy between Denon AVR-x4500H or Marantz SR7012 (both close in prices with recent price-drops). I love both movies and music. I want to set up 7.2.4 speaker set up and will use my old Denon 3805 for the two extra channels for this set up. One additional feature that x-4500 has is an IMax enhanced. How critical is that feature to have? Could anyone help me decide? Thank you
I am in the exact same mindset as you. except I would rather deal with the 11.2 receiver (6400h) instead of amping two channels. The imax upgrade perplexes me too. There are only two titles out for Imax and they do have a partnership only with one studio: Paramount, so safe to say an Imax consideration is not really relevant however I like the larger video picture instead of a cropped one. The audio will use the standard dolby set up just fine it is really about the video for me but I figure by the time imax actually has content there will be 16K or something but I get the feeling we are not going to get much better image quality. 8K is not much different than 4k which is not really worth the cost over 1080p for me at least. I suppose if one killer release in imax comes out it would be worth it. The 6500 I was looking at dropped $100 in the last three days. I am going wait it out and start running atmos cables but not pull the receiver trigger until Imax causes drops in the non imax receivers or more manufacturers are cheaper for both. There is one you tube video where a guy pees his pants over the imax showing up on his Marantz but a super high cost to watch two nature videos ??
post #129 of 135 Old 04-03-2019, 03:23 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
It’s irritating
Are you using the optical just to get surround sound from the local TV stations?
post #130 of 135 Old 04-04-2019, 05:36 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am using optical to get all sound back into my receiver. HDMI out of Apple TV, direct tv, DVD player info tv. Optical from tv to Receiver for sound.
post #131 of 135 Old 04-06-2019, 09:45 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hi guys, i'm upgrading from my old onkyo R680, i found the denon x3500 but now that i see that maybe it's to much for my needs, bassicaly i need a reciver for my pc, xbox one x/ps4/switch, a few retro consoles a media box and cable box for a new 4k tv, now that i have a xbox one x the reciever need to support HDR10, atmos, all the fancy stuff, my living room is not big (100"x160") and i still have the original onkyo speakers that came with the reciever.

What do you thing? should i stick with the denon or maybe i can get a cheaper option?

thanks
post #132 of 135 Old 04-16-2019, 07:53 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatotiburon View Post
hi guys, i'm upgrading from my old onkyo R680, i found the denon x3500 but now that i see that maybe it's to much for my needs, bassicaly i need a reciver for my pc, xbox one x/ps4/switch, a few retro consoles a media box and cable box for a new 4k tv, now that i have a xbox one x the reciever need to support HDR10, atmos, all the fancy stuff, my living room is not big (100"x160") and i still have the original onkyo speakers that came with the reciever.

What do you thing? should i stick with the denon or maybe i can get a cheaper option?

thanks
If you’re not too invested in it you could get a S940H and have very similar capabilities for less. Do you need legacy to HDMI upconversion or are you ok with having them use legacy connections to the TV?
post #133 of 135 Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KD5MDK View Post
If you’re not too invested in it you could get a S940H and have very similar capabilities for less. Do you need legacy to HDMI upconversion or are you ok with having them use legacy connections to the TV?

you lost me in here
post #134 of 135 Old 04-17-2019, 02:37 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 702 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22026 Post(s)
Liked: 11944
Quote:

thanks
Money is always better spent upgrading speakers before upgrading the AVR. However, if you insist on upgrading the AVR first, review post 1 in the 2018 Denon AVR Owner's thread to see if there is a lower level model below the X3500H that will meet your requirements and in so doing, provide additional savings for upgrading to better quality speakers.

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...sts-1-8-a.html

Quote:
you lost me in here
The lower models (eg. S940H) are no longer capable of doing component/composite video --> HDMI while the X3500H is able to do the conversion.
post #135 of 135 Old 05-09-2019, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have an Onkyo TX-SR706 which has served me well, I have and I am keeping a 5.1 speaker setup that I am happy with.

The problem, of course, is 4K and HDMI. Right now my TV is a 2013 55" LG 3D set (which I never watch in 3D but which, BTW, has a fantastic picture for 2D content). The new TV is a Samsung 2019 75" Q90 that comes with the Samsung Quick Connect box. I have two other quick connect equipped Samsung TVs, one with the mini box from 2017, the other with the larger 2018 box. Neither of those sets, however, is meant to be used with an AVR.

It looks like the video passthrough to the TV via quick connect should be good. I don't need more than the four HDMI inputs it provides (TIVO, Apple TV4K, PS4, and 4K disc player).

The thing I like about the Onkyo is the Audyssey room calibration, which has worked well for me. My question is, if I connect the Samsung One Connect box to my receiver with an optical cable, will everything "just work"? I can fix audio lag (if present) using the Onkyo controls.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
av receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page