10 Things to Consider When Shopping for an AV Receiver - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #151 of 153 Old 03-10-2020, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question

Are there any "entry level" HDMI 2.1 AVR's available right now? I currently do not own an AVR.
What is the cheapest HDMI 2.1 AVR I can get right now?

I currently have a 42'' (non-4k TV)
And two Zenith Allego 4000 speakers from the 1970s I just got from my dads basement.

At most I would want to set up a set of 5.1 speakers around me.

I was looking at buying an opened box RX-V385 for $200 and a news post said it has HDMI 2.1 but the max. transmission bit rate around 20 (Gbit/s) but from what I am reading the full HDMI spec. would be 48.0 (Gbit/s) So it sounds it is NOT 100% HDMI compliant.....

I am asking because I am concerned that RX-V385 will not support the entire HDMI 2.1 spec. and when I upgrade my TV and purchased a Playstation5 I will have to buy a better AVR at that time as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 153 Old 03-25-2020, 09:22 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 29
My opinion/suggestion,

https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers

TV: TCL 55" 4K UHD HDR - Vizio 50" HD - Vizio 40" HD [All w ROKU]
DENON AVR-S910W, 7.2, HDMI 2.0a, 4K UHD HDR, 4K Upscale SD/HD, Atmos, WI-FI
KLIPSCH: L/R: R-15M - Ctr: R-25C - Sub: R-100SW - POLK S-10 Surr
SPKR Wire:Windy City Wire USA - 16AWG, 2 Cond, Stranded, Oxy Free Copper, Shld, Jacket
HDMI: VANCO, 4K, 18Gbps, 2.0b, Certified --- [AT&T Directv, AT&T DSL 100Mbps]
post #153 of 153 Old Yesterday, 09:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Question Dead Receiver, what are my options?

I have a cable box and HD BluRay as sources, and a Sony 55" 4K AndroidTV. We like YouTube and Netflix and we can get them either from the cable box or the TV itself. Previously we used a Harmony remote to control the system. When we got the TV it replaced a plasma monitor. As a result the way we built the system was with the Denon 3808CI as aide to the Harmony remote, and the only input to the TV was from the AVR. An optical cable conveyed the audio from the TV to the AVR when we wanted to use it for YouTube.

After changing the cable box, something went wrong and the Sony TV lost the plot. When ever we changed the "source" to the TV the Harmony commands that were supposed to switch back to anything else at the source would fail to switch the video. But we just cut back on using the Sony TV as a source because it duplicated what the new cable box could do.

Now that the AVR is dead, we are literally dying. We have been forced to connect stuff to the TV and use its built-in speakers. It still gets confused if we try to use the TV for YouTube. I think what is wrong is that there doesn't seem to be a direct command in the Sony's vocabulary for directly selecting some source. Also if you go to the internal source to use an app like Netflix, you *are* on the last input you were on. For example I had to unscramble this omelette a couple of hours ago. It was on input-1 and input-1 was what I wanted to be on, but the TV continued to display its home screen instead of the cable box. I had to cycle it around through the other 5 connections back to input 1 (4 inputs plus mirroring and terrestrial TV).

The next move is to get something hooked up so that we are using the Zu Omen tower speakers again. I have looked at the Denon AVR-S750H and it looks like a decent choice based on specs. To be honest, the Yamaha RX-V485BL could also handle this setup it seems to me. I also like the fact that there's a huge store down the road that has these and several other options, which I could just go and get.

After getting an AVR I can re-tackle the problem of controlling the TV. Should the TV have the feeds come in to it and ARC to the receiver? Will I need to disable CEC?

I think the main focus of this question should be the AVR since that's the thread we're in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
av receiver

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page