Has anyone tried the ATI AT54XNC Class D amps? - Page 21 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 244Likes

post #601 of 656 Old 05-10-2019, 04:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1129 Post(s)
Liked: 529
I am not sure if this question has been asked but I noticed that the ATI class D amps do not have a 12v trigger output just a input so there is no daisy chaining amps? What are you guys doing if you have 3 amps for 12v trigger usage. Is the Emotiva ET-3 the only option? Does Furman make something similar? I have never bought anything from Emotiva and do not know anything about the quality of their products.

Thanks

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 656 Old 05-11-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1430 Post(s)
Liked: 2187
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-T View Post
I am not sure if this question has been asked but I noticed that the ATI class D amps do not have a 12v trigger output just a input so there is no daisy chaining amps? What are you guys doing if you have 3 amps for 12v trigger usage. Is the Emotiva ET-3 the only option? Does Furman make something similar? I have never bought anything from Emotiva and do not know anything about the quality of their products.

Thanks

Dave
Dave, you can do a couple of things. You can split the 12v trigger coming out of your amp using a Y-cable or set up the amps to turn on when they receive an audio signal. I went the Y-cable route and it works fine.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)

For Sale: JVC X750R Projector (RS500 Equivalent) https://www.avsforum.com/forum/252-f...l#post58241092
post #603 of 656 Old 05-11-2019, 06:33 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked: 293
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Dave, you can do a couple of things. You can split the 12v trigger coming out of your amp using a Y-cable or set up the amps to turn on when they receive an audio signal. I went the Y-cable route and it works fine.
Just to further elaborate. The 12v cables are super simple, either there is power or there is not. You don’t need to worry about things like build quality as there is no signal, just presence of current or not.

The Emotiva is more used to be able to toggle different devices off and on. If you are just looking to link everything to power for the receiver then any sort of splittter should work fine. It’s only if you wanna toggle like different devices for different inputs with a harmony remote or something that you would need something more elaborate.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 656 Old 05-12-2019, 05:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia0287 View Post
Just to further elaborate. The 12v cables are super simple, either there is power or there is not. You don’t need to worry about things like build quality as there is no signal, just presence of current or not.

The Emotiva is more used to be able to toggle different devices off and on. If you are just looking to link everything to power for the receiver then any sort of splittter should work fine. It’s only if you wanna toggle like different devices for different inputs with a harmony remote or something that you would need something more elaborate.
Thanks for the clarification so if I just want to have amps turn on or off in sequence when my processor is tuned on or off than all I need is a y connecter to plat the 12v trigger since my 8805 only has 2. I am not looking for anything fancy.

Thanks
post #605 of 656 Old 05-12-2019, 06:07 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 112
ATI owners, any opinions (or experience with) on D- Sonic amps?

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #606 of 656 Old 05-12-2019, 06:28 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 49
D-Sonics sound great, granted I heard them through High End Revels, not my own system.

The ATI D also sound great in my system with my Triad Silver.

At the end of the day I choose ATI as they had just bought Datasat and are more established company and Dsonic is a one man operation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post #607 of 656 Old 05-12-2019, 08:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Has anybody heard the class D ATI amps with B&W CM series speakers? Right now I am replacing my Atmos speaker amp which is a Rotel RMB-1575 and running B&W CCM682's on it. My bed channels are B&W CWM7.3's which are pretty much the same thing as B&W CM10 speaker. I am sure that the ATI Class D amps will blow the Rotel RMB-1575 which is old D class tech out of the water. Eventually I will replace my Rotel RMb-1585 class AB with either a ATI 4000 series amp class AB or get another ATI class d amp ( AT527NC) which would be used for my CWm7.3's. What Like about the Rotel is that it warm and detailed but not sure if the ATI amps will do the same thing but better. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that a class D amp can sound just as warm and detailed as a class AB.

Thanks

Dave-t
post #608 of 656 Old 05-12-2019, 08:53 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
Quote:
I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that a class D amp can sound just as warm and detailed as a class AB.

Why?

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #609 of 656 Old 05-12-2019, 09:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
Why?
The first amps I bought were the Rotel series 15 class D amps and thought they were great because they had a lot of wattage/power, did not take up a lot of room , ran cool and fit in my media cabinet with ease( I was happy)Then I started listening to some class AB amps and all of sudden things became more detailed, warmth was present and the sound stage got dramatically wider. In the beginning I never got into class AB amp because the first I heard a was Mcintosh Mc405 and I did not like how the highs were rolled off and felt like I was missing something. Much later I hear Classe delta amps, Levinson amps boulder amps and some different Bryson amps, my mind was changed.I then listened to the Rotel Rmb1585 because Rotel has been a company that is always associated with B&W Speakers and had purchased their amps before and was pleased with h their customer service and products. I then got the Rotel RMB-1585 for my bed channels and switched my Rotel RMB1575 for atmos duty. I always told myself that I would step up my system when I moved into a house and drop some serious money on a system and have it professional setup. I understand technology changes and we are talking about Hypex Ncore not Ice power modules from B&O. I am one of those people who do not do well with change at all. I had a hard time switching from plasma to Oled, I actually still have one of my Kuro’s., I am even worse when it comes to cars.
post #610 of 656 Old 05-12-2019, 12:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 2791 Post(s)
Liked: 1754
Quote:
I am one of those people who do not do well with change at all. I had a hard time switching from plasma to Oled, I actually still have one of my Kuro’s., I am even worse when it comes to cars.

While I did find the change from Trinitron to LED easy, but that's a much bigger leap than Plasma to OLED. However, I do refuse to give up my 42 year old car. From my cold, dead jack stands....

7.2.4 System: Display: Sony XBR-65X930D; Processing: Anthem AVM60
Mains:
Paradigm Prestige 85F and 55C; Side / Rear Surrounds: Totem Acoustic Tribe III / Tribe I; Amplification: D-Sonic M3a-2800-7 (7ch. x 400w)
ATMOS:
Definitive Technology DI8R; Amplification: Class D Audio SDS-470C (4ch. x 300w)
Subwoofers:
2 x SVS-SB13Ultras; Media: Oppo UDP-203, Pioneer CLD-59
post #611 of 656 Old 05-12-2019, 12:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas2 View Post
While I did find the change from Trinitron to LED easy, but that's a much bigger leap than Plasma to OLED. However, I do refuse to give up my 42 year old car. From my cold, dead jack stands....
Porsche or walk that is it for me when it comes to cars. LOL

Last edited by Dave-T; 05-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.
post #612 of 656 Old 05-13-2019, 04:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1191 Post(s)
Liked: 662
Quote:
Has anybody heard the class D ATI amps with B&W CM series speakers? Right now I am replacing my Atmos speaker amp which is a Rotel RMB-1575 and running B&W CCM682's on it. My bed channels are B&W CWM7.3's which are pretty much the same thing as B&W CM10 speaker. I am sure that the ATI Class D amps will blow the Rotel RMB-1575 which is old D class tech out of the water. Eventually I will replace my Rotel RMb-1585 class AB with either a ATI 4000 series amp class AB or get another ATI class d amp ( AT527NC) which would be used for my CWm7.3's. What Like about the Rotel is that it warm and detailed but not sure if the ATI amps will do the same thing but better. I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around the fact that a class D amp can sound just as warm and detailed as a class AB.

If the Rotel sounds any different from the ATI, either the Rotel is broken or it is a crappy design. No amp sounds “warm and detailed.” A good amp like any ATI model (AB or D) will just make the signal bigger, with minimal added noise or distortion.
Mashie Saldana and GIEGAR like this.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 
post #613 of 656 Old 05-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
The first amps I bought were the Rotel series 15 class D amps and thought they were great because they had a lot of wattage/power, did not take up a lot of room , ran cool and fit in my media cabinet with ease( I was happy)Then I started listening to some class AB amps and all of sudden things became more detailed, warmth was present and the sound stage got dramatically wider. In the beginning I never got into class AB amp because the first I heard a was Mcintosh Mc405 and I did not like how the highs were rolled off and felt like I was missing something. Much later I hear Classe delta amps, Levinson amps boulder amps and some different Bryson amps, my mind was changed.I then listened to the Rotel Rmb1585 because Rotel has been a company that is always associated with B&W Speakers and had purchased their amps before and was pleased with h their customer service and products. I then got the Rotel RMB-1585 for my bed channels and switched my Rotel RMB1575 for atmos duty. I always told myself that I would step up my system when I moved into a house and drop some serious money on a system and have it professional setup. I understand technology changes and we are talking about Hypex Ncore not Ice power modules from B&O. I am one of those people who do not do well with change at all. I had a hard time switching from plasma to Oled, I actually still have one of my Kuro’s., I am even worse when it comes to cars.

I remember talking with a dealer a long time ago about the Rotel Class D amps at the time. It seemed the consensus was that they were ok but nothing like their classic AB designs. I also seemed to recall others with the same impression, so it could have been a just the way their class D amps were designed back then. As far as these ATI nCores are concerned, I have read many describe them as warm and detailed. Read the professional reviews, this thread, and also this shootout thread ( https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-shootout.html ). Lots of good info on these amps in my opinion.

I have tested many amps over the past few months. I currently own the ATI nCore 8 channel and the ATI 4007. They both sounds fantastic to me.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #614 of 656 Old 05-16-2019, 05:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuvin View Post
I remember talking with a dealer a long time ago about the Rotel Class D amps at the time. It seemed the consensus was that they were ok but nothing like their classic AB designs. I also seemed to recall others with the same impression, so it could have been a just the way their class D amps were designed back then. As far as these ATI nCores are concerned, I have read many describe them as warm and detailed. Read the professional reviews, this thread, and also this shootout thread ( https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-shootout.html ). Lots of good info on these amps in my opinion.

I have tested many amps over the past few months. I currently own the ATI nCore 8 channel and the ATI 4007. They both sounds fantastic to me.
Which do you like better The AT528NC or the At4007? I was thinking about a AT4007, U have the money but was told to save it because I do not listen to any music just HomeTheater and the Sig series is really for music/ home theater
post #615 of 656 Old 05-16-2019, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1286 Post(s)
Liked: 822
Quote:
Which do you like better The AT528NC or the At4007? I was thinking about a AT4007, U have the money but was told to save it because I do not listen to any music just HomeTheater and the Sig series is really for music/ home theater

I’ve posted this before, but the signature series has an extremely low noise floor. With the 528 i had a very slight hiss (inaudible with sound playing), but with the 4007 everything is dead quiet
post #616 of 656 Old 05-17-2019, 06:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Honestly not sure yet. I like to do long-term listening before making any decisions. I am not sure I agree with that assessment "Sig series is really for music/ home theater" as the nCore in my opinion does both just as well. The 4007 does seem to have a slight bit more air, but the nCore seems to control dialog better in my opinion. I assume that's because of the higher dampening factor but who knows. Right now the differences seem minimal to me.

It might come down to heat, size, and weight, which the nCore wins out there.
post #617 of 656 Old 05-17-2019, 07:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhuski View Post
I’ve posted this before, but the signature series has an extremely low noise floor. With the 528 i had a very slight hiss (inaudible with sound playing), but with the 4007 everything is dead quiet

I must have the worst luck with electronics as my nCore and 4007 both have a slight hiss coming out the speakers, so they seem to the same to me. What's weird is I tested an Outlaw 7220 and it was dead silent. I thought based on comments like yours and others that I would get the same results with a 4007, but not the case with my setup. I went through two 4007's as the first unit had a decent transformer hum coming from the chassis. Both produce the slight hiss I hear, so I don't think it's the 4007 itself. It's just my luck. Regardless, you have to have your ear close to the speaker to hear it, so it's really not a big deal overall.
post #618 of 656 Old 05-18-2019, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 91
I recently purchased a ATI AT523NC and when I switch inputs on my Yamaha receiver there is a slight pop or static noise in my speakers. I will also get the same noise while in my dvd player menu or receiver menu and at the beginning of movies when the sound format changes. I did not have this issue when I was using my parasound amp. Is this normal with ATI amps ?
post #619 of 656 Old 05-21-2019, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzs22 View Post
I recently purchased a ATI AT523NC and when I switch inputs on my Yamaha receiver there is a slight pop or static noise in my speakers. I will also get the same noise while in my dvd player menu or receiver menu and at the beginning of movies when the sound format changes. I did not have this issue when I was using my parasound amp. Is this normal with ATI amps ?

Any popping you hear is not caused by the ATI.

Jeff
post #620 of 656 Old 05-21-2019, 03:49 PM

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereojeff View Post
Any popping you hear is not caused by the ATI.

Jeff
I contacted ATI and they wanted me to try a different receiver and see if it still did it, but I dont have one to swap out.
post #621 of 656 Old 05-22-2019, 01:18 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
You are not alone in hearing difference between amps. I recently auditioned ATI 1802 and ATI 542NC in the exact same set of speakers and preamp. To my ears, there was a difference and I liked Class AB better, which I bought. The class D produced tighter bass but the mids and highs were more pleasing from the Class AB.

The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten

Panny UB900| Apple TV 4K| Zidoo Z9S| WD TV Live| RPi3| Yamaha RX-A3050|ATI 1805, 1802| Sony HW40ES - 120"| LG UH850V - 65"| B&W CT8 LR, CT8 CC, CT8.4 LCRS x 4, Jamo I/O2 (Atmos), AELite| Linkwitz LXMini| Linkwitz Pluto 2.1
post #622 of 656 Old 05-22-2019, 04:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotvijay View Post
You are not alone in hearing difference between amps. I recently auditioned ATI 1802 and ATI 542NC in the exact same set of speakers and preamp. To my ears, there was a difference and I liked Class AB better, which I bought. The class D produced tighter bass but the mids and highs were more pleasing from the Class AB.
I hope I like the AT527NC because it is arriving on Tuesday. Worst case scenario I still have my Rotel RMB-1585 class ab amp for the time being. When I sell it I will replace it with a AT4007 and use the AT527NC for my Atmos channels. If I like the At527NC I will purchase a second. the problem with the Rotel RMB-1585 is that is so large I could not fit it and a AT4007 in my AV cabinet but I could fit a AT527NC. I can fit both a AT4007 and a AT527NC.
post #623 of 656 Old 05-22-2019, 06:32 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 430 Post(s)
Liked: 210
Has anyone tried the ATI AT54XNC Class D amps?

Quote:
I hope I like the AT527NC because it is arriving on Tuesday. Worst case scenario I still have my Rotel RMB-1585 class ab amp for the time being. When I sell it I will replace it with a AT4007 and use the AT527NC for my Atmos channels. If I like the At527NC I will purchase a second. the problem with the Rotel RMB-1585 is that is so large I could not fit it and a AT4007 in my AV cabinet but I could fit a AT527NC. I can fit both a AT4007 and a AT527NC.

Based on SteveH’s observations, he prefers the signature series (AT4000 or AT6000) followed by AT52XNC, and less for the bridged AT54XNC. I have the AT528NC and am quite pleased. Currently have a Parasound Halo A31 for front three but plan this fall to compare the two in stereo.

Edit: I did run my mains on the AT528NC for quite some time but did not do any careful evaluation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Geronimo.USMC likes this.

Main Kef: Reference 205/2 & 202/2c, Surrounds: Kef XQ40, Velodyne Optimum 12, Integra DHC 80.3, Ayre K-5xeMP, Oppo BDP-103, Bryston 4Bsst2, Parasound Halo A31. Second B&W: 685 (3), CCM618, Def Tech Powerfield 1500, Onkyo TX-NR1008, Zone 2 Klipsch AW650.

Last edited by jima4a; 05-22-2019 at 06:40 AM.
post #624 of 656 Old 05-22-2019, 07:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jima4a View Post
Based on SteveH’s observations, he prefers the signature series (AT4000 or AT6000) followed by AT52XNC, and less for the bridged AT54XNC. I have the AT528NC and am quite pleased. Currently have a Parasound Halo A31 for front three but plan this fall to compare the two in stereo.

Edit: I did run my mains on the AT528NC for quite some time but did not do any careful evaluation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everbody I asked said the same thing, when it came to home theater the AT52xNc got the nod. Since I am 99% home and heater and 1% if that music I went the class route. Trust me you went back and forth between the two. One of Hong that did push me towards the class d over the class AB was the i was told by ATI tech support that a 4000 series should be put on its own dedicated 20amp line. I have the capability to do that but then I have to rearrange my around again. I just installed 2 15amp lines and 2 20amp lines solely for my home theater gear. If I had to I could switch one of my 15amp dedicated lines to a 20amp line by switching out the breaker because I did use 12awg cable on it, The 20amp lines I used 10awg wire.

Last edited by Dave-T; 05-22-2019 at 07:15 AM.
post #625 of 656 Old 05-22-2019, 12:40 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I ordered a AT528NC yesterday. I intend to use to for surrounds and Atmos for now. I currently have Denon AVR but plan to upgrade to PrePro later this year. I looked into D-Sonic but the shorter warranty and concern with long term support drove me towards ATI. I have a QSC DPA 4.2 which I am currently using for LCR. Its cheaper and on paper has lot more power but I don't want to deal with euro block connectors etc. anymore.

My Build Thread
HT - Seymour Centerstage XD 2.39:1 133" W| JVC X790R | Denon AVR | QSC DPA 4.2 | ATI AT528NC | Procella P8/P5V | Revel C763L | Rythmik FV15HP x2
Living Room - LG OLED 65" | Yamaha 2060 | Monolith 3x200 | KEF Q900 L/R | Paradigm Millenia CC | Polk Surrounds | Monolith 12" Subs x 2
post #626 of 656 Old 05-22-2019, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
..Since I am 99% home and heater and 1% if that music I went the class route. Trust me you went back and forth between the two. One of Hong that did push me towards the class d over the class AB was the i was told by ATI tech support that a 4000 series should be put on its own dedicated 20amp line.

Huh? I understand the part about a 4000 series on its own dedicated 20 amp line, but I'm not sure what you are saying otherwise?

Dave
post #627 of 656 Old 05-22-2019, 04:54 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

[QUOTE=thezaks;58085634]Huh? I understand the part about a 4000 series on its own dedicated 20 amp line, but I'm not sure what you are saying otherwise?

Spell check butchers everything, It was supposed to say ... I went back and forth many times between the purchase of a AT4007 and the AT527NC. My rational for deciding on the AT527NC in the end was because I watch 99% Home Theater and 1% at the most listen to music. Everybody I spoke to said that if you are mainly using the amp for Home Theater go class D because the two amps are very close, the AT4007 shines when listening to music. Another reason was that ATI customer support told me that a AT4007 would need it own dedicated 20amp line where the At527NC would not.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
post #628 of 656 Old 05-22-2019, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 613 Post(s)
Liked: 125
[quote=Dave-T;58086208]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezaks View Post
Huh? I understand the part about a 4000 series on its own dedicated 20 amp line, but I'm not sure what you are saying otherwise?

Spell check butchers everything, It was supposed to say ... I went back and forth many times between the purchase of a AT4007 and the AT527NC. My rational for deciding on the AT527NC in the end was because I watch 99% Home Theater and 1% at the most listen to music. Everybody I spoke to said that if you are mainly using the amp for Home Theater go class D because the two amps are very close, the AT4007 shines when listening to music. Another reason was that ATI customer support told me that a AT4007 would need it own dedicated 20amp line where the At527NC would not.

Excellent - good info - thanks!

Dave
post #629 of 656 Old 06-01-2019, 08:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 3
I recently purchased ATI AT523NC, gotta say it's dead silent with my Klipsch RP front stage. I initially tried hooking them with Crown XLS1002,but floor noise was so audible so had to return them. Though I'm not a audiophile, but I can easily hear the difference between having no amp + receiver to amp + receiver.
post #630 of 656 Old 06-01-2019, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by moviefreak4real View Post
i recently purchased ati at523nc, gotta say it's dead silent with my klipsch rp front stage. I initially tried hooking them with crown xls1002,but floor noise was so audible so had to return them. Though i'm not a audiophile, but i can easily hear the difference between having no amp + receiver to amp + receiver.
bingo!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page