Has anyone tried the ATI AT54XNC Class D amps? - Page 5 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 253Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 11:14 AM
jlx
Member
 
jlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
My at527nc definitely has the soft start/sequential turn on feature

partially insane
jlx is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 11:49 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,853
Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11297 Post(s)
Liked: 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlx View Post
My at527nc definitely has the soft start/sequential turn on feature
What is this feature? Are you talking about the fact that the amp goes into standby mode after 10 minutes of no activity? And why are you commenting about this?
AustinJerry is offline  
post #123 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 01:22 PM
jlx
Member
 
jlx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 32
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I posted in reply to post # 119


"The ATI has a 12 volt trigger which is also generally important as well. ATI usually has soft start circuits in their amps, but I am less sure about this particular one."

partially insane
jlx is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #124 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 03:02 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,853
Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11297 Post(s)
Liked: 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlx View Post
I posted in reply to post # 119


"The ATI has a 12 volt trigger which is also generally important as well. ATI usually has soft start circuits in their amps, but I am less sure about this particular one."
Thanks for clarifying.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #125 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 03:32 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member
 
Kal Rubinson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC + Connecticut
Posts: 30,287
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked: 1283
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazar View Post
I own the NAD M37 and essentially it is a very similar amplifier except it has one less channel for the same price as the ATI.
What's a NAD M37?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

Kal Rubinson is offline  
post #126 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 05:50 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,917
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 525
For cryin' out loud, Dave.
The ATI review isn't on the S&V website yet.
The most recent power amp review is your Monoprice from June 2016.
I know you have no control over when print articles make it online but sheesh.

As far as the ATI Signature vs. the ATI NC54X series.
While I would rather have the 6000 Signature amp, the $3.5k price difference goes a long way towards my planned Synology NAS, Sonore Microrendu & Halo Spring DAC.

 
Milt99 is offline  
post #127 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 05:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 5,985
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
Sorry Milt...it will probably hit next week.
danthony1 likes this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #128 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,917
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Sorry Milt...it will probably hit next week.
No worries, Dave.
Just yanking the chain.
I know Norton gets his posted first. HAH!!!
Dave Vaughn likes this.

 
Milt99 is offline  
post #129 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 07:44 PM
Newbie
 
mdonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
I auditioned the NAD M27 and that was my first experience with hi-fi class D. It sounded nice but I found the overall presentation kind of "gray". That's the first thing that came to mind. Those who have experience with A/B and class D: you don't find the sound of class D to be less lifelike and natural? I would think it wouldn't be a big deal with movies, but it would bother me with music.
mdonda is offline  
post #130 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 08:34 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,853
Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11297 Post(s)
Liked: 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonda View Post
I auditioned the NAD M27 and that was my first experience with hi-fi class D. It sounded nice but I found the overall presentation kind of "gray". That's the first thing that came to mind. Those who have experience with A/B and class D: you don't find the sound of class D to be less lifelike and natural? I would think it wouldn't be a big deal with movies, but it would bother me with music.
There are two reviews, one by Kal Rubinson in Stereophile, and one by Dave Vaughn in Sound&Vision. I suggest you read the reviews. Karl's can be found in the link below. Dave's has not appeared on the internet yet.

http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round
AustinJerry is offline  
post #131 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 08:40 PM
Newbie
 
mdonda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinJerry View Post
There are two reviews, one by Kal Rubinson in Stereophile, and one by Dave Vaughn in Sound&Vision. I suggest you read the reviews. Karl's can be found in the link below. Dave's has not appeared on the internet yet.

http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round
Kal's review was one of the reasons I auditioned the M27. The sound was pleasing, neutral, but just gave me a feeling of listening in black & white, if that makes any sense.
mdonda is offline  
post #132 of 665 Old 03-17-2017, 09:45 PM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,853
Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11297 Post(s)
Liked: 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdonda View Post
Kal's review was one of the reasons I auditioned the M27. The sound was pleasing, neutral, but just gave me a feeling of listening in black & white, if that makes any sense.
Well, perhaps the ATI will leave you with a different impression. I certainly can't confirm that it sounds black & white, whatever that means. Besides, don't you want those inky blacks between the musical notes?
AustinJerry is offline  
post #133 of 665 Old 03-18-2017, 06:19 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
blazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 4,335
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1197 Post(s)
Liked: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post
What's a NAD M37?
oops sorry, I meant the NAD M27. Brain fart there, its been so long since I thought about the name since I have just forgotten about amps as of late since I can more or less just ignore the amps.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

Blazar!
blazar is offline  
post #134 of 665 Old 03-19-2017, 01:20 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jrunr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
As far as the ATI Signature vs. the ATI NC54X series.
While I would rather have the 6000 Signature amp, the $3.5k price difference goes a long way towards my planned Synology NAS, Sonore Microrendu & Halo Spring DAC.

Just out of curiosity, why would you want the signature series over the more powerful NC54X amp?
Jrunr is offline  
post #135 of 665 Old 03-19-2017, 04:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,917
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you want the signature series over the more powerful NC54X amp?
As many folks have said, there's more to an amp that just WPC.

Although I have listened to music via digital since early 1984 when I bought a Sony 610-ES CD player, I'm pretty old school when it comes
to power amps. I've owned 2 sets of Class A amps and still have 2 Class A mono-blocks.
Outside of the proprietary circuit designs, Class A & A/B amps have 3 components that go a long way to defining their performance\capabilities.
Big transformers, lots of capacitance & lots of high quality transistors.

Certainly digital music recording, mastering and playback have come a looong way since 1984.
Many early players and cds didn't sound as good as a high-end TT, Cart, Phono section & pristine record.

It seems that "Digital" amps are in that same technology learning curve.
In reality, the technology in a SS amp is really mature. The question of sound quality & capability basically comes down to a question of cost to manufacture.
Certain mass-market audio companies make uber high-end pieces of gear. The question isn't one of technical knowledge but of target market.
Will a digital amp sound really good for the first week or 2 and then will I start to miss certain things or hear undesirable "additions"?
It was the same way for me with CD early on. In some ways I didn't care about any possible loss of fidelity because I was really tired of F'ing around with vinyl
as a format and it's inherent limitations. CDs were far more convenient and flexible plus you play an entire album without interruption and CDs don't degrade with repeated playings.

I know I love the sound of a well-designed Class A or A\B solid state amp and I have some trepidation about whether I'll like these NCore based amps as much as I do SS amps.
Why I was so interested in Kal's review is because I trust that wouldn't be willing to give up any loss of performance regardless of the amp's weight.
Dave's review will only ease my qualms, at least I hope so.
I'm far more familiar with Kal's writings and tend to agree with him on subjects where I have the same knowledge\experience.
Really sorry for the long explanation. I got carried away.
Bottom line, I know I like SS amps, I don't know if I will be as happy with Class D.
RichB, RIppolito and Dave Vaughn like this.

 
Milt99 is offline  
post #136 of 665 Old 03-19-2017, 04:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 4,980
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
Just out of curiosity, why would you want the signature series over the more powerful NC54X amp?
The AB one is quieter. Probably has more headroom, too. I'd love to see a serious amp review of either one, i.e. one like the old Audio Critic reviews with the "Powercube" test. The old ATI 1506 showed considerable headroom over its continuous rating in the TAC test.

--
"In many cases there aren’t two sides unless one side is 'reality' and the other is 'nonsense.'" - Phil Plait
Serious Audio Blog 

Last edited by DS-21; 03-19-2017 at 04:08 PM.
DS-21 is offline  
post #137 of 665 Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jrunr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I am really curious to find out just how good these really are. I have tried a W4S amp a few years back, and I just didn't like it all that much. So when I read about how great these are, it really makes me wonder...
Jrunr is offline  
post #138 of 665 Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 AM
Member
 
tleschuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mokena, IL
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Testing

I had the weekend to really try out the AT-522nc.


The thing I noticed most was the wide soundstage. Really WIDE. Power output was great, however, I ran into some limitations. The CD player I use, a trusty old Sony CDP-997, skipped in the upper bass notes. I need to get isolation feet before I can push the amp past 70% or so use.


I thought the sound was a little dry, but my room is not acoustically perfect which has lots of bare walls. I'd say the amp is very neutral and puts out what you input. An ideal characteristic.


The power switch is very bright at night in a dark room. I went to my local car tint shop and he have gave me 3 shades of car window tint samples. I chose the middle one (I think 20%?) and that seems to work very well. Funny...the power switch is the exact same diameter as a dime (.10 cent US) so I used that as my template. You could just stick a dime in the power switch and be done! It will hold.


The sleep function is an interesting piece. Since the Denon DRA-297 does not have a switched output, I use the sleep function. After 10 minutes of no signal, it will light into stand-by mode. The power switch will still be lit. Coming out of sleep mode is instantaneous and there is no pop or static noise. ATI claims the sleep mode consumes about 5-6 watts compared to a "switched" state which uses .5-1 watt. The sleep mode is a fine trade-off for me.


The music for my testing was hi resolution Ambient music as this has some great dynamic range. I do a have a Oppo BDP-80 with SACD & DVD-A capability but did not use it yet.


The rest of my system is the Denon DRA-297 (as mentioned in earlier thread), Dynaudio Audience 82s, Sony CDP-997, and Oppo BDP-80. The Dynaudios are acoustically coupled to the floor via spikes (don't tell the ol' lady) so they pierce the carpeting down to the plywood floor. Since the Sony CDP-997 sits on the floor under the bed, the skipping was bound to happen at some point with a higher output amp.


The rest of the stuff, such as interconnects are higher-end Monoprice cables and PartsExpress 12Ga Sound King speaker wire.


Ask away if you have questions!
Dave Vaughn likes this.
tleschuck is offline  
post #139 of 665 Old 03-21-2017, 04:23 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Jrunr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,183
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I'm curious to see if you think the sound changes after a few days as others have suggested...
Jrunr is offline  
post #140 of 665 Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 AM
** Man of Leisure **
 
AustinJerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 20,853
Mentioned: 389 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11297 Post(s)
Liked: 6704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I'm curious to see if you think the sound changes after a few days as others have suggested...
Since you did not quote the post you are responding to, I can't tell which amp you are talking about. If you are referring to the ATI amp, the suggestion in the user manual that this amp needs a break-in period has been reported as being wrong. With my ATI amp, I have noticed no changes in the audio quality as it's usage hours have increased. Besides, I am not a believer that electronic equipment requires any break-in.
Dave Vaughn likes this.
AustinJerry is offline  
post #141 of 665 Old 03-21-2017, 10:27 AM
Member
 
tleschuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Mokena, IL
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post
I'm curious to see if you think the sound changes after a few days as others have suggested...
The updated owner's manual (2/24/17) omits this. I have confirmed this with ATI. There is no longer break-in time needed.
tleschuck is offline  
post #142 of 665 Old 03-21-2017, 01:49 PM
Member
 
donato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 85
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I received my AT525NC on Saturday. Ordered from Ralph over at WWSP (he's fantastic BTW. Very attentive, communicative, and great service). haven't done any critical listening, but definitely less edgier than the amps I was using before. I had debated whether or not I should have gone with the AT543NC and then later done the other 2 channels (I'm only running 5.1), but the AT525NC has plenty of power for my Monitor Audio PL300. Power consumption is so minimal with this amp and so little heat generated, so my electric bill will greatly appreciate that.
RIppolito and Dave Vaughn like this.
donato is offline  
post #143 of 665 Old 03-21-2017, 10:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 5,985
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
@Milt99

Review is live: http://www.soundandvision.com/conten...jv5KzEZ9qSu.97
RichB and RIppolito like this.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #144 of 665 Old 03-22-2017, 06:47 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,917
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Vaughn View Post
Thanks, Dave!
Great review.

Read it this morning. I liked the background info on Morris Kessler and his view of NCore.
I've been reading about Bruno's NCore modules on Audio Circle for quite some time.
For folks with Atmos systems, these amps seem to be a perfect\logical choice.
Lots of channels of clean, low heat, affordable power.
Dave Vaughn likes this.

 

Last edited by Milt99; 03-22-2017 at 07:08 PM.
Milt99 is offline  
post #145 of 665 Old 03-22-2017, 07:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 5,985
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
Couldn't agree more Milt. Perfect combo.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #146 of 665 Old 03-22-2017, 09:16 PM
Senior Member
 
green giant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I finally had a chance to listen to the Hypex Modules today and demo'd the Bel Canto 600's.

I'm not one that believes there are no differences between amps, but I tend to believe the differences are more subtle. No question I hear differences so I'm not one that believes there are huge swings, but I do believe in differences.

For instance last year I demo'd a McIntosh MC352 (which I wanted to love because I always wanted a McIntosh), but found that my old Harman Kardon Signature 1.5's were better at controlling the low end and the differences on the mids and highs were so subtle that the price increase wasn't worth it.

Today, the Bel Canto's vs Pass XA 100's and the big mark levinson mono's.

Honestly, the Bel Canto's controlled the low end on each speaker better than the Pass labs and equal if not better than the ML also.

The ML was a tad smoother, the Pass may have had a little more sparkle. But the Bel Canto easily was as good as both IMO, different but as good and SO much less expensive.

I'm interested in hearing a few more of the Hypex amps to see if power stages/imput buffers really do make a difference now.

But I was very, very impressed with the Bel Canto 600's. I felt it was every bit the amp as the other two above.

Would love to learn/hear more on the ATI's.
green giant is offline  
post #147 of 665 Old 03-22-2017, 10:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Dave Vaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Vacaville, CA
Posts: 5,985
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
I finally had a chance to listen to the Hypex Modules today and demo'd the Bel Canto 600's.

I'm not one that believes there are no differences between amps, but I tend to believe the differences are more subtle. No question I hear differences so I'm not one that believes there are huge swings, but I do believe in differences.

For instance last year I demo'd a McIntosh MC352 (which I wanted to love because I always wanted a McIntosh), but found that my old Harman Kardon Signature 1.5's were better at controlling the low end and the differences on the mids and highs were so subtle that the price increase wasn't worth it.

Today, the Bel Canto's vs Pass XA 100's and the big mark levinson mono's.

Honestly, the Bel Canto's controlled the low end on each speaker better than the Pass labs and equal if not better than the ML also.

The ML was a tad smoother, the Pass may have had a little more sparkle. But the Bel Canto easily was as good as both IMO, different but as good and SO much less expensive.

I'm interested in hearing a few more of the Hypex amps to see if power stages/imput buffers really do make a difference now.

But I was very, very impressed with the Bel Canto 600's. I felt it was every bit the amp as the other two above.

Would love to learn/hear more on the ATI's.
Definitely see if you can get an audition with a dealer.

David Vaughn Blu-ray Reviewer / Technical Writer Sound & Vision Magazine (Print & Online)
Dave Vaughn is offline  
post #148 of 665 Old 03-23-2017, 07:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,917
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
I finally had a chance to listen to the Hypex Modules today and demo'd the Bel Canto 600's.

I'm not one that believes there are no differences between amps, but I tend to believe the differences are more subtle. No question I hear differences so I'm not one that believes there are huge swings, but I do believe in differences.

For instance last year I demo'd a McIntosh MC352 (which I wanted to love because I always wanted a McIntosh), but found that my old Harman Kardon Signature 1.5's were better at controlling the low end and the differences on the mids and highs were so subtle that the price increase wasn't worth it.

Today, the Bel Canto's vs Pass XA 100's and the big mark levinson mono's.

Honestly, the Bel Canto's controlled the low end on each speaker better than the Pass labs and equal if not better than the ML also.

The ML was a tad smoother, the Pass may have had a little more sparkle. But the Bel Canto easily was as good as both IMO, different but as good and SO much less expensive.

I'm interested in hearing a few more of the Hypex amps to see if power stages/imput buffers really do make a difference now.

But I was very, very impressed with the Bel Canto 600's. I felt it was every bit the amp as the other two above.

Would love to learn/hear more on the ATI's.
They do make a difference but I'm sure Bel Canto like ATI, both have well-designed associated circuitry.
Nice to see a comparo with some of my favorite amps.
Sorry if I missed it but what speakers do you have?
Thanks

 
Milt99 is offline  
post #149 of 665 Old 03-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
green giant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 251
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milt99 View Post
They do make a difference but I'm sure Bel Canto like ATI, both have well-designed associated circuitry.
Nice to see a comparo with some of my favorite amps.
Sorry if I missed it but what speakers do you have?
Thanks
Well, I have some DynAudio Contour 60's on the way. I've had a number of speakers the past few years.

First a comment - I didn't want to like or be impressed by Class D, and I think that is a problem for many of us. Shopping for amps is part of the fun. Meters, tubes, different designs are all fun to look at, see, and research. Class D takes a lot of that away. So, I get the unsaid psychological part of it also.

I didn't think that the Bel's sounded "better" than every amp I heard. I will say I was really, really bummed I didn't like the Pass Labs XA100's more. I've always wanted a Pass Labs, not sure I can justify it now. The Bel's are boring. They are small, generic looking etc. They are also only 5k a pair and there was no way I could justify spending 2-5x more for other amps. Might I still consider other amps, sure depending on what I needed an amp to "tweak" in my sound. But consider me floored by the Bel's performance.

We listened to a lot of amps with 5 or so speakers (Martin Logans, Sonus Fabers, the new Paradigm Persona 3f, some huge 400lb Krells).

I heard differences in the amps. I actually preferred the Bel Canto's in most cases. I didn't want to. But I did.

I know DynAudio's like current, so that was/is a big concern. But then I heard the Bel's drive the Huge Martin Logan Neoliths which have 2 huge passive woofers in them. They had no issues.

Side note, I was really surprised how much I liked the new Martin Logan line. I'm a rock and roll listener and while I've appreciated ML's over the years, I didn't love them for rock (other than the neoliths).

The new ML's really had a lot more get up and go than I ever expected. Very nice.
green giant is offline  
post #150 of 665 Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Milt99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: The Great Pacific Northwest
Posts: 5,917
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by green giant View Post
Well, I have some DynAudio Contour 60's on the way. I've had a number of speakers the past few years.

First a comment - I didn't want to like or be impressed by Class D, and I think that is a problem for many of us. Shopping for amps is part of the fun. Meters, tubes, different designs are all fun to look at, see, and research. Class D takes a lot of that away. So, I get the unsaid psychological part of it also.

I didn't think that the Bel's sounded "better" than every amp I heard. I will say I was really, really bummed I didn't like the Pass Labs XA100's more. I've always wanted a Pass Labs, not sure I can justify it now. The Bel's are boring. They are small, generic looking etc. They are also only 5k a pair and there was no way I could justify spending 2-5x more for other amps. Might I still consider other amps, sure depending on what I needed an amp to "tweak" in my sound. But consider me floored by the Bel's performance.

We listened to a lot of amps with 5 or so speakers (Martin Logans, Sonus Fabers, the new Paradigm Persona 3f, some huge 400lb Krells).

I heard differences in the amps. I actually preferred the Bel Canto's in most cases. I didn't want to. But I did.

I know DynAudio's like current, so that was/is a big concern. But then I heard the Bel's drive the Huge Martin Logan Neoliths which have 2 huge passive woofers in them. They had no issues.

Side note, I was really surprised how much I liked the new Martin Logan line. I'm a rock and roll listener and while I've appreciated ML's over the years, I didn't love them for rock (other than the neoliths).

The new ML's really had a lot more get up and go than I ever expected. Very nice.
I know, it can feel comforting having a giant POWER amp connected to your speakers.
I have a BAT VK-6200 3-channel driving the L\C\Rs in my music\theater room.
That amp is a monster by just about any standard.

I will offer to translate your statement "I didn't want to like or be impressed by Class D" to "I had a very healthy skepticism about Class D amps and admit I'm biased towards big SS amps".
IMO, it is always wise to be a skeptic but just as important to pair it with an open mind.

My skepticism is further tweaked by the affordability factor. On one level it seems a bit too good to be true.
I would love to have an ATI Signature 6002 "Gibralter" to drive my Studio2s but with the price differential between that and the AT542NC really makes it hard to justify.
I want to revamp my digital front-end and that price differential is significant.
Thanks for you thoughtful, informative posts.

BTW, I like your choice of speakers.
When I was auditioning speakers a few years back, I listened to MLs as well.
They do portray a nice what I call visceral quality to music such as Neil Young's electric stuff.

 

Last edited by Milt99; 03-23-2017 at 12:50 PM.
Milt99 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off