The "OFFICIAL" Yamaha TSR-7810/RX-v781 Owner's thread. - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 3144Likes

post #1081 of 2067 Old 11-11-2017, 03:46 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2168 Post(s)
Liked: 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellboy2000 View Post
Just a quick update i'm getting sound from all other sources just not from the optical cable that goes from the TV to the TSR-7810.
Tried different cable and still the same (i can see the beam on the edge of the connector).
Thank you
How are you connecting video from the AVR to the TV? Are you using the ARC out to the ARC in on the TV by any chance? If not, is there a reason that you're not using ARC instead of optical?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1082 of 2067 Old 11-11-2017, 04:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 0
More info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanetAVS View Post
How are you connecting video from the AVR to the TV? Are you using the ARC out to the ARC in on the TV by any chance? If not, is there a reason that you're not using ARC instead of optical?
Im not connecting any video from the AVR to the TV the only connection i have is optical cable from the TV to AVR.
I play music and video from my iPad directly to the tv wireless (so basically my goal is seeing video on the TV and hearing the audio via AVR)
Tho audio out option on my TV is on ARC/OPTICAL, i talked with LG they check all settings and all is ok on their end.
Thank you for your help
post #1083 of 2067 Old 11-11-2017, 05:05 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Im not connecting any video from the AVR to the TV the only connection i have is optical cable from the TV to AVR.
I play music and video from my iPad directly to the tv wireless (so basically my goal is seeing video on the TV and hearing the audio via AVR)
Tho audio out option on my TV is on ARC/OPTICAL, i talked with LG they check all settings and all is ok on their end.
Thank you for your help
Not sure what the problem is. I'd suggest trying ARC out via HDMI to the AVR, instead of using an optical cable. You'll have to enable CEC on both the TV and the AVR to make this work. Depending on which LG TV you have, LG probably calls it Simplink. The Yamaha AVR can enable CEC.

If you take this approach, I believe you can stream IPad to the AVR via Airplay instead of streaming to the TV. And then you'll be able to pass audio/video from the AVR to the TV via ARC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1084 of 2067 Old 11-11-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Not sure what the problem is. I'd suggest trying ARC out via HDMI to the AVR, instead of using an optical cable. You'll have to enable CEC on both the TV and the AVR to make this work. Depending on which LG TV you have, LG probably calls it Simplink. The Yamaha AVR can enable CEC.

If you take this approach, I believe you can stream IPad to the AVR via Airplay instead of streaming to the TV. And then you'll be able to pass audio/video from the AVR to the TV via ARC
How do i enable CEC on my TSR-7810?
Thank you
post #1085 of 2067 Old 11-11-2017, 05:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
How do i enable CEC on my TSR-7810?
Thank you
It's also called HDMI Control, check page 117 of the owners manual. It will be under the HDMI settings in the setup menu
post #1086 of 2067 Old 11-11-2017, 05:55 PM

thank you

Quote:
It's also called HDMI Control, check page 117 of the owners manual. It will be under the HDMI settings in the setup menu
My 20ft HDMI cable just gave up on me which means i only have the optical cable at the moment i'm trying to think with myself why its so hard to do a very simple connection just getting the sound from the tv into the avr using an optical cable only.
post #1087 of 2067 Old 11-11-2017, 06:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
My 20ft HDMI cable just gave up on me which means i only have the optical cable at the moment i'm trying to think with myself why its so hard to do a very simple connection just getting the sound from the tv into the avr using an optical cable only.
It shouldn't be difficult, can't think of why it's not working. ARC has some advantages vs optical as well, one being that it passes DD+ whereas optical is limited to DD. You should be able to grab a cheap 6 ft HDMI cable for less than $10.

How old is your 20 ft cable? Older cables sometimes cause issues.

As an aside, it seems like you have an AVR that is overkill for your needs if you are not passing anything through the AVR, and you're simply streaming IPAD to TV.
post #1088 of 2067 Old 11-11-2017, 06:09 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
The guidance for what you are trying to do is made clear in the manual, so you should be reading in that. If you have iOS (iPhone, iPad), download the Yamaha AV Setup App which talks you through connections for your specific AVR model.
post #1089 of 2067 Old 11-11-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
It shouldn't be difficult, can't think of why it's not working. ARC has some advantages vs optical as well, one being that it passes DD+ whereas optical is limited to DD. You should be able to grab a cheap 6 ft HDMI cable for less than $10.

How old is your 20 ft cable? Older cables sometimes cause issues.

As an aside, it seems like you have an AVR that is overkill for your needs if you are not passing anything through the AVR, and you're simply streaming IPAD to TV.
You are 100% right, the thing is that my previous Yamaha had a lot of hardware issues so i decided to buy a better one just to be on the safe side.
I know that HDMI cable is not pricey the thing is that my old HDMI cable running inside the wall into an office where my AVR is located so im just trying to avoid paying 100$ for putting a new HDMI cable into the wall.
post #1090 of 2067 Old 11-13-2017, 07:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Atmos via headphones - clarification needed

I've seen numerous articles touting the Xbox One X/S ability to play Dolby Atmos games through headphones, but I'm more interested in music.

Does any Atmos equipped receiver (like the TSR-7810) have the ability process the signal for headphones? Or do I need Xbox/Windows to do it via a license purchase?
post #1091 of 2067 Old 11-13-2017, 07:07 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoldsberry View Post
I've seen numerous articles touting the Xbox One X/S ability to play Dolby Atmos games through headphones, but I'm more interested in music.

Does any Atmos equipped receiver (like the TSR-7810) have the ability process the signal for headphones? Or do I need Xbox/Windows to do it via a license purchase?
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/...-since-stereo/

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/stor...s/9mv4jdrvqtnv
post #1092 of 2067 Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Yamaha TSR-7810 IR capability

Just received the TSR-7180 from Costco and noticed the remote does not have remote IR capabilities. Unfortunately my setup is such that the receiver will be behind a cabinet door. Anyone have recommendations for either a comparable receiver with IR capability or a way to get the TSR-7180 IR compatible?

Thanks!
post #1093 of 2067 Old 11-17-2017, 08:04 AM

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggybeard View Post
Just received the TSR-7180 from Costco and noticed the remote does not have remote IR capabilities. Unfortunately my setup is such that the receiver will be behind a cabinet door. Anyone have recommendations for either a comparable receiver with IR capability or a way to get the TSR-7180 IR compatible?

Thanks!
You dont have to use the remote you can control the avr from the phone app, or lap top, via
wifi, or much better cat6.
From a computer go to the avr ip address assuming the avr is on a home network and you can
control functions from there.

There are ir extenders or repeaters you can buy, but I have no idea how to set them up.
Old Mike

Vizio-d58u-d3, Yamaha-TSR-7810
Fronts-JBL-S38II, Center-Infinity Extra Center Two
Sides-Klipsch KB-15, In-Ceiling-Yamaha NSIC600WH
SUB-Bic-F12, Technics SL-D2 Turntable
post #1094 of 2067 Old 11-18-2017, 04:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all, I picked up one of these units at Fry's on a "promo code" deal on a refurb, to replace my beloved pre-HDMI Onkyo TX-SR702 which stills jams out like an old war horse but it simply has become too outdated. I've spent the day setting the Yamaha up, found this thread, and I'm wondering if I could get a couple of questions answered.

First off, what is Object Decode Mode and what are "object based audio signals"? The manual tells how to reset it but doesn't give much on what it actually is.

Secondly, back in the old Onkyo days, if my audio sound source wasn't in some sort of 7.1 format like most CDs, I could always manually select my handy Dolby Pllx format and it would play a derived 7 channel output so I would have sound on the rear surrounds. On this unit I can only select "Surround" which I am assuming are the Dolby formats and I get no sound from the rear speakers. If I switch to Neo 6:Music or Cinema I get a derived 7.1 sound on all speakers. Am I missing something? Is this the only format that will play on all seven speakers? Is there anyway to assign a particular Dolby format to an input like I could do on the Onkyo ?

Thanks for your help!
post #1095 of 2067 Old 11-18-2017, 06:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvining View Post
Hi all, I picked up one of these units at Fry's on a "promo code" deal on a refurb, to replace my beloved pre-HDMI Onkyo TX-SR702 which stills jams out like an old war horse but it simply has become too outdated. I've spent the day setting the Yamaha up, found this thread, and I'm wondering if I could get a couple of questions answered.

First off, what is Object Decode Mode and what are "object based audio signals"? The manual tells how to reset it but doesn't give much on what it actually is.

Secondly, back in the old Onkyo days, if my audio sound source wasn't in some sort of 7.1 format like most CDs, I could always manually select my handy Dolby Pllx format and it would play a derived 7 channel output so I would have sound on the rear surrounds. On this unit I can only select "Surround" which I am assuming are the Dolby formats and I get no sound from the rear speakers. If I switch to Neo 6:Music or Cinema I get a derived 7.1 sound on all speakers. Am I missing something? Is this the only format that will play on all seven speakers? Is there anyway to assign a particular Dolby format to an input like I could do on the Onkyo ?

Thanks for your help!
Welcome to the club!

Object based audio is a new way of mastering audio (dolby atmos and dts:x). It's pretty neat... check this site out:
https://www.audioadvice.com/content/...y-atmos-dts-x/

For your dolby surround issue, I'd check and make sure your speaker setup is correctly listed and showing all your speakers. When I select dolby surround on a stereo signal it lights up all my speakers. I can't think of any other settings that may be of help off the top of my head, as I'm not near my AVR right now.
post #1096 of 2067 Old 11-19-2017, 11:27 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I see that select Denon and Marantz receivers are receiving a firmware update for DTS Virtual:X. Including several that are in the same price/feature range as our 7810's.

http://www.audioholics.com/editorial...irmware-update

I know that there is a rumored update, that has been discussed on this thread, coming from Yamaha by the end of the year, or first of next year. Supposedly to update the receiver to HDR DV. It would be great if they'd throw in DTS Virtual:X also since it may really make a difference for us who don't have or desire full Atmos/DTS:X speaker setups. Especially since it will simulate the effect from any media source, not just Atmos/DTX encoded materials. Yamaha was the first out with the format for their soundbar. Seems like they'd be a natural to also bring it to their receivers. I imagine we'll know soon enough, with CES coming up. But it would really just be one more feature to future-proof the 7810. Well, as much as any A/V tech can be future-proofed these days...

Last edited by Movielvr77; 11-19-2017 at 11:32 AM.
post #1097 of 2067 Old 11-19-2017, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movielvr77 View Post
I see that select Denon and Marantz receivers are receiving a firmware update for DTS Virtual:X. Including several that are in the same price/feature range as our 7810's.

http://www.audioholics.com/editorial...irmware-update

I know that there is a rumored update, that has been discussed on this thread, coming from Yamaha by the end of the year, or first of next year. Supposedly to update the receiver to HDR DV. It would be great if they'd throw in DTS Virtual:X also since it may really make a difference for us who don't have or desire full Atmos/DTS:X speaker setups. Especially since it will simulate the effect from any media source, not just Atmos/DTX encoded materials. Yamaha was the first out with the format for their soundbar. Seems like they'd be a natural to also bring it to their receivers. I imagine we'll know soon enough, with CES coming up. But it would really just be one more feature to future-proof the 7810. Well, as much as any A/V tech can be future-proofed these days...
Interesting, never heard of it..wouldn't mind listening to the effects someday, but not sure how it's work for me since I have a 5.1.2 setup.

Personally, I'm about 95% satisfied with this AVR right now, but I'd be 100% if eARC was added via firmware. Not going to hold my breath...
post #1098 of 2067 Old 11-19-2017, 07:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I’m using overhead speakers with my 7810 that was supposed to be for Atmos. If I understand the manual correctly, Atmos only works in surround decoder or straight DSP settings. I was using a Roku and watching the movie with Vudu and it said it was Atmos but it only shows Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital Surround in the display menu when the movie was playing. Does this confirm or deny that Atmos was working? If not, what do I need to do to make it work?
post #1099 of 2067 Old 11-19-2017, 07:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91RS View Post
I’m using overhead speakers with my 7810 that was supposed to be for Atmos. If I understand the manual correctly, Atmos only works in surround decoder or straight DSP settings. I was using a Roku and watching the movie with Vudu and it said it was Atmos but it only shows Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby Digital Surround in the display menu when the movie was playing. Does this confirm or deny that Atmos was working? If not, what do I need to do to make it work?
Mine displays Atmos. Make sure your speaker setup is correct in the menu; ie. showing 7.1.2 if that's what you have.
post #1100 of 2067 Old 11-19-2017, 07:49 PM

It doesn’t give an option in the menu for that. Just 7.1, 5.1.2, and 5.1 Bi-Amp. I don’t have rear surrounds, only side. I thought the manual said for the Dolby Atmos Speakers to use the front presence connections and then change it to overhead. Maybe I misunderstood? Should the overhead speakers be connected to the rear surrounds instead of the front presence connections?
post #1101 of 2067 Old 11-19-2017, 08:35 PM

False alarm. It is working. I didn’t realize that you don’t get 7.1 sound with Vudu unless it’s in 4K.
post #1102 of 2067 Old 11-19-2017, 09:56 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
It doesn’t give an option in the menu for that. Just 7.1, 5.1.2, and 5.1 Bi-Amp. I don’t have rear surrounds, only side. I thought the manual said for the Dolby Atmos Speakers to use the front presence connections and then change it to overhead. Maybe I misunderstood? Should the overhead speakers be connected to the rear surrounds instead of the front presence connections?
Yeah, sorry, I meant 5.1.2, not 7.1.2. Glad it's working.
post #1103 of 2067 Old 11-20-2017, 04:51 AM

Yeah, too bad I didn't get to experience it. There's no reason Vudu shouldn't let 7.1 work on 1080p, I don't have a 4k TV. That's a little ridiculous since they charge quite a bit for a newer rental. I'll just go back to Redbox for Blu Rays once I use up all my free credits with Vudu.
post #1104 of 2067 Old 11-20-2017, 07:41 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2123 Post(s)
Liked: 1110
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraggybeard View Post

Thanks!
"Remote IR?" You mean an IR signal that goes around corners, or through doors? Never heard of it. If you're thinking something like the Apple TV remote, that's Bluetooth doing that magic.

MF15 is right, the Yamaha AV Controller app for iOS and Android is fantastic, and getting regular updates. Unlike some manufacturers, Yamaha has NOT removed older model compatibility. It still works champion with my RX-v775. In fact, there've been a few updates this year: displaying the Surround mode, and cycling them when tapping Surround repeatedly. The app is very well done.

If your receiver is like older models, going to the url http://[ip address of receiver]/setup loads a page of all the settings, including some advanced functions. Use with care. Generally the main web interface is fine to use from a tablet, Chromebook, or computer.
h3ro likes this.

"Exceedingly odd," said the butler.
Are you new to the forum? Please read forum FAQs and stickies. Like posts that help you. RTFM, always.
A: Yamaha RX-V775; Chromecast Audio; iPod Classic, Touch. Bose 401 mains, 301 Series III surrounds, Yamaha NS-C444 center, Hsu VTF-2 Mk4.
V: Panasonic DMP-BDT215, Yamaha DVD-S550. Apple TV 4gen. Chromecast 1gen, Samsung UN40ES6150.
post #1105 of 2067 Old 11-21-2017, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So is the RX-V781 gonna get Dolby Vision? cus if you look at the Yamaha website for the product it's states it will have it. Is this true or not? You will find this on the website --> "*Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma will be available via future firmware update."
post #1106 of 2067 Old 11-21-2017, 05:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paunta View Post
So is the RX-V781 gonna get Dolby Vision? cus if you look at the Yamaha website for the product it's states it will have it. Is this true or not? You will find this on the website --> "*Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma will be available via future firmware update."
Yeah, that's the word on the street. We haven't seen the update yet though.
post #1107 of 2067 Old 11-22-2017, 04:37 AM

Regarding the subwoofer crossover, if I'm understanding the manual correctly the subwoofer crossover isn't manually selectable because it is automatically set based on whatever you set the crossover at for the other speakers. Is this correct? Is this only based on the front speakers or all of them? I have my front speakers set on 60Hz but all the others are set on 80Hz.
post #1108 of 2067 Old 11-23-2017, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Regarding the subwoofer crossover, if I'm understanding the manual correctly the subwoofer crossover isn't manually selectable because it is automatically set based on whatever you set the crossover at for the other speakers. Is this correct? Is this only based on the front speakers or all of them? I have my front speakers set on 60Hz but all the others are set on 80Hz.
Yes, that's my understanding as well...for all speakers
post #1109 of 2067 Old 11-23-2017, 07:45 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
To upgrade or not to upgrade. That is the question.

I have an htr-4065 that works fine. Is there any reason to replace it with a tsr-7810? A costco sale has me tempted.
I am struggling to see much difference of a significant sort. I do not need 7.1 or all the sound processing features and beer halls. At this point, I mostly just want a two channel with oomph for my 4 ohm speakers and airplay, internet radio, etc. The turntable RCA jack is cool too.
The only good thing with the 7810, I think, is that more power will be available to my 4 ohm speakers. Which, do just fine on the 4065 in 4 ohm mode too! (Why does Yamaha burry that ohm control and feature. So dumb.)
Well, the 4065 has a user interface from 1981 but, it works and is all set up.
Eventually getting a 4k TV. But, I think the 4065 can do that too.
I am cheap. My speakers, bought new, are from 1989 and 1995. They do not make them like they used too. Well, they do but, they cost a lot more.
post #1110 of 2067 Old 11-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointthinker View Post
I have an htr-4065 that works fine. Is there any reason to replace it with a tsr-7810? A costco sale has me tempted.
I am struggling to see much difference of a significant sort. I do not need 7.1 or all the sound processing features and beer halls. At this point, I mostly just want a two channel with oomph for my 4 ohm speakers and airplay, internet radio, etc. The turntable RCA jack is cool too.
The only good thing with the 7810, I think, is that more power will be available to my 4 ohm speakers. Which, do just fine on the 4065 in 4 ohm mode too! (Why does Yamaha burry that ohm control and feature. So dumb.)
Well, the 4065 has a user interface from 1981 but, it works and is all set up.
Eventually getting a 4k TV. But, I think the 4065 can do that too.
I am cheap. My speakers, bought new, are from 1989 and 1995. They do not make them like they used too. Well, they do but, they cost a lot more.
Almost seems like you answered your own question there!

I don't know much about the 4065, but if it's an older receiver it probably won't have hdmi 2.0 or hdcp 2.2 which is needed for 4k. It seems to me that would be the only reason to upgrade for you.
ChromeJob likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
amazon fire tv , hdmi (arc) , scad , vizio 2016/2017 e m & p-series displays , xbox one s , yahama , yamaha 585 , yamaha 7850

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page